IGNORED

Sexual harassment at Mars Hill Church - color me shocked!

Rainytown

For those still keeping up with the saga of Mars Hill Church, a new wrinkle has emerged. One of the leaders removed shortly before the bylaws were rewritten and Pastors Petry and Meyers were fired writes a blog. I enjoy reading his comments. Yesterday's comments, however, have left me astonished.

One of Mars Hill's more interesting doctrinal features was "compartmentalism", which is a fancy word for "patriarchy". Women were not allowed to hold leadership positions at Mars Hill. Women (specifically wives) were to submit to men in all things and to never question authority. Women in that church were treated like something a man would scrape off the bottom of his shoe -- well, except for when those men wanted to engage in interesting sexual practices or needed a sandwich or something. Men who were a bit too effeminate (or reasonable, for that matter) for the pastor's taste were mocked by Driscoll from the pulpit and online as being "pussified" or worse. Of course, the men involved are now shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, that women in their congregations were harassed by Driscoll and others. Of course, the vast majority of men involved have NEVER apologized for their "compartmentalism" beliefs, and to my knowledge, it's still being preached at Mars Hill --- oops, clever made-up names for the new "independent" churches who are still teaching the same "doctrine". Their apologies are empty until they realize the damage they did to thousands of women in the guise of "Christianity".

I remain astonished that any woman at all would continue attending the church, let alone remain married to any man who believes "compartmentalism" is reasonable or appropriate. Do they hate themselves so much they think this is normal, acceptable and "Biblical"?

Mods, I hope the link is acceptably broken.

musingsfromunderthebus.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/mark-driscoll-was-charged-with-sexual-harassment-what-was-the-verdict/

Sexual harassment at Mars Hills, what is the world coming to.

Complementarianism (meaning: the sexes "compliment" each other in roles, as opposed to being equal) appeals to women and girls who like their stereotypical roles -- and particularly like men who attractive in their strong, 'manly' leadership.

Usually the most vocal proponents of complementarisnism are women maried to really great, humble leadership-material men who *do* have good character and do treat their wives in the most loving of ways. That's why they are happy, and why they imagine this power structure would make everyone happy. They are relaxed, content, and the personality expectations and 'roles' fit them like a glove.

It's why it's insidious. Because it *works* for the leader's family -- not because it actually works, but because those women actually are married to good leaders that they appreciate, and because they picked a guy like that, because they wanted a guy like that. There's no acknowledgement that not all men are like that, and not all women appreciate such things in a marriage.

It's 'one size fits all' thinking, plus 'our leaders have got it figured out' thinking. It gets everybody trying for the same cookie cutter.

Douchcoll's "pussified" comments have been known for awhile. Last year, he mocked men who drove mini-vans in a sermon and he has hated on stay at home dads. Idiot Lori Alexander referenced Douchcoll in a few of her postings.

The other stuff I'm not surprised by.

Complementarianism (meaning: the sexes "compliment" each other in roles, as opposed to being equal) appeals to women and girls who like their stereotypical roles -- and particularly like men who attractive in their strong, 'manly' leadership.

Usually the most vocal proponents of complementarisnism are women maried to really great, humble leadership-material men who *do* have good character and do treat their wives in the most loving of ways. That's why they are happy, and why they imagine this power structure would make everyone happy. They are relaxed, content, and the personality expectations and 'roles' fit them like a glove.

It's why it's insidious. Because it *works* for the leader's family -- not because it actually works, but because those women actually are married to good leaders that they appreciate, and because they picked a guy like that, because they wanted a guy like that. There's no acknowledgement that not all men are like that, and not all women appreciate such things in a marriage.

It's 'one size fits all' thinking, plus 'our leaders have got it figured out' thinking. It gets everybody trying for the same cookie cutter.

Re: bolded. That is exactly right. :clap:

It's especially hurtful when those women act as if they can take the credit for having such amazing hubbies. The vast majority of women in conservative settings are struggling to exist in marriages that just doesn't work that way.

Even weirder is that the show is set (not sure where it's filmed) in Seattle.

The exteriors were filmed here. I'm not sure where they're filming now. Many, many women were attempting to get a glimpse of Patrick Dempsey over the years...

I know someone who is living with "complementarianism" at home. It's not working. Her husband uses it as an excuse to put his boot on the neck of females in general. I wouldn't trust the guy to "lead" me to the next room, let alone being lord and master of the household.

For those who might still be following the "We Are Not Anonymous" Facebook page, there's a rousing discussion on this topic. Mostly females. I note the deafening silence of the hundreds of men who follow the page and have no doubt enjoyed the benefits of "complementarianism" over the years. In other words, it's cool and fun to strut around the house pounding his chest and making EVERYONE else do exactly what he wants, but not quite so fun when he finds out that women are not property and do not have to put up with this crap anymore.

Archived