calimojo

Now that Jessa is married, I doubt she can remain on JB's health insurance plan, and I would think the same would be true for Ben, not being able to be on his Dad's plan.

So, does this mean that Ben and Jessa will need to get on the Affordable Health Care, AKA, Obama care Health Plan?

How are they going to pay for her prenatal care, for pediatricians, etc. Yes, they could possibly afford to pay for a normal pregnancy and health newborn out of pocket, but if they had a complication, or children who had some health issues, even mild ones, like mild asthma, or something, they would not be able to do that for long, even with some TLC money.

Do you think TLC provides health insurance? I mean they probably do for their own staff, but for their "cast"?

I imagine Derick gets insurance through WalMart, so he and Jill are probably covered. And with Derick's accounting background, hopefully he knows to be sure he is covered with Life insurance and Disability insurance too. But with Jana and John David, they are probably getting close to the age where they also can't remain on their parent's plan much longer. So what will happen then?

What happens in the non-celebrity Fundie families who have mature SAHD's? Are they all on government plans? Or just uninsured altogether? Or does God provide some sort of heavenly health plan for the righteous?

I thought TLC did provide hc insurance.

TLC does not provide insurance to any reality tv family so I doubt they would start with Jessa.

I bet she uses a midwife and pays cash (and prays for no complications) and signs up for Scamartian ministries.

Jim Bob has high ded. private blue cross policy that he got years ago. I do wonder how the rates have changed since Obama Care. My husband owns a business and our Blue cross policy was $290 to start years ago (Jim Bob said his started in the low $300) and was about $600 before Obama Care and now I just got the renewal and it is over $1000 for just me and my husband, no kids, no major claims last year(just checks up minor illness).

but what about Jana and John in a couple of years? John might have a job that comes with insurance at some time, but unless Jana is married by then, she would not have coverage.

TLC does not provide insurance to any reality tv family so I doubt they would start with Jessa.

I bet she uses a midwife and pays cash (and prays for no complications) and signs up for Scamartian ministries.

Jim Bob has high ded. private blue cross policy that he got years ago. I do wonder how the rates have changed since Obama Care. My husband owns a business and our Blue cross policy was $290 to start years ago (Jim Bob said his started in the low $300) and was about $600 before Obama Care and now I just got the renewal and it is over $1000 for just me and my husband, no kids, no major claims last year(just checks up minor illness).

Are those prices per year? That sounds very reasonable if it is. I'm Canadian, so we don't pay health insurance directly. I hear all kinds of horror stories, but I don't know what a family of four would actually pay for the kind of coverage we have. (no deductible - covers pretty much everything except prescriptions, dentists and optometrists)

Are those prices per year? That sounds very reasonable if it is. I'm Canadian, so we don't pay health insurance directly. I hear all kinds of horror stories, but I don't know what a family of four would actually pay for the kind of coverage we have. (no deductible - covers pretty much everything except prescriptions, dentists and optometrists)

Yeah, every time I hear about health care in America, I start singing 'Oh Canada' in my head. I had Leukaemia when I was 9 and my parents didn't pay a cent for my treatment and all I hear is how in America, my parents would have gone broke.

No that's per month. My husband gets insurance through his work and for both of us we pay right at $400 a month. That covers health, dental, eye, and prescription.

but what about Jana and John in a couple of years? John might have a job that comes with insurance at some time, but unless Jana is married by then, she would not have coverage.

Anyone can get coverage, employed or not, it's just a matter of paying for it. In the above cases they'd just get private plans instead of an employer-based group plan. I doubt that even an employed Duggar adult would be working for a company big enough to have a group policy anyway. That's pretty much the situation the family's in now.

I assume JB will pay insurance costs for adult children who age out of the ACA rule going forward since they're under his "umbrella of authority," whether that requires getting separate policies for them or paying extra to keep them on the current plan.

Isn't Arkansas one of the states to fully implement obamacare with a really good version of the medicaid expansion? I've always wondered how they pay for the health care for all the kids, but a lot of states have special things for children.

No those are per month and no vision or dental included. One of us (I won't say which one turned 40 in 2014 so on top of the affordable care acts increase we are also in a high age risk category). Dental I opt for a discount plan and pay with cash, so it is $120 a year, and check ups, xrays, and cavities are very cheap, root canals and crowns, $400-500 (but that is better then $1000+).

This also does not include my kids which are insured separate. Jim Bob brags that 1 kid or 19 his rates were the same for a family plan. Well Jim Bob come to Utah. I have 2 kids if I choose a family plan I would be paying as if I had 6 or 8. Back when my husband and I got our plan at $290 for my husband and myself , if I got a family plan it would have been over $800. Instead I bought separate IHC(the big HMO in Utah) plans for my kids for $111 a month. The plan was meant for kids of divorce and now has been stopped(one of my kids is grandfathered in). I saved between $4-5k a year on premiums for almost a decade by buying individual plans for my kids. I don't think Jim Bob realize his 19 kids for one price or kids eat free is absorbed by those of us that have a smaller family size.

Isn't Arkansas one of the states to fully implement obamacare with a really good version of the medicaid expansion? I've always wondered how they pay for the health care for all the kids, but a lot of states have special things for children.

Arkansas didn't expand Medicaid. They chose what is being called the "private option" instead, which basically means they are taking federal funds that would have go to expanded Medicaid, and using those funds to support an expanded health insurance exchange and subsidies instead. I has been working incredibly well, but there is some concern that the state will end the program and retract coverage for those who would otherwise be covered under the (optional) Medicaid expansion. The AR legislature has to reauthorize the program every year, and it's isn't clear if there are enough votes for reauthorization following the midterm elections. On the one hand, there are people who are very vocal in their opposition to the ACA. On the other hand, it's very difficult to end a program that people are already benefiting from, and effectively take away coverage from a lot of people.

Arkansas didn't expand Medicaid. They chose what is being called the "private option" instead, which basically means they are taking federal funds that would have go to expanded Medicaid, and using those funds to support an expanded health insurance exchange and subsidies instead. I has been working incredibly well, but there is some concern that the state will end the program and retract coverage for those who would otherwise be covered under the (optional) Medicaid expansion. The AR legislature has to reauthorize the program every year, and it's isn't clear if there are enough votes for reauthorization following the midterm elections. On the one hand, there are people who are very vocal in their opposition to the ACA. On the other hand, it's very difficult to end a program that people are already benefiting from, and effectively take away coverage from a lot of people.

Thanks for the clarification, mpheels!

Dont the Duggars use one of those Christian Medishare plans? Maybe theyll do that I think its suppose to be reasonable.

Yes, they did at least when they wrote their first book as it's explained how it worked there.

The bottom line is like someone else mentioned, anyone can get insurance, it's all about the ability to pay for it. These people are no longer poor. I'm sure Daddy JB would happily pay for Ben & Jessa's insurance so she can pop out babies. Smuggar had to have been buying a plan when he worked the car lot and Anna popped out the first three M kids.

What happens in the non-celebrity Fundie families who have mature SAHD's? Are they all on government plans? Or just uninsured altogether? Or does God provide some sort of heavenly health plan for the righteous?

I'm betting they are uninsured. After all, they're not interested in the sinful OBUMMER CARE.

In other words, we're all paying for their "Godliness".

:eyeroll:

Yes, they did at least when they wrote their first book as it's explained how it worked there.

The bottom line is like someone else mentioned, anyone can get insurance, it's all about the ability to pay for it. These people are no longer poor. I'm sure Daddy JB would happily pay for Ben & Jessa's insurance so she can pop out babies. Smuggar had to have been buying a plan when he worked the car lot and Anna popped out the first three M kids.

I'm not sure when it was implemented federally, but I know the age limit for parents coverage and not having to be a dependent was changed several years ago. The first year or so I believe it didn't cover married children though. But Jim Bobs insurance would cover only Smuggar through 25. Anna would have to be covered through her own parents ( if they weren't going without or purchasing their own policy) . Generally prenatal and delivery would have been covered by Anna's insurance. But after 30 days the newborns would no longer be covered through the parents status. If that makes sense. In their case they would of likely paid cash for the midwife though, as many insurance companies here don't cover home births.

Lots of state by state and insurance company differences though.

I have always felt lucky to have an NHS. When I read this I realise how hard it would be to implement in 2014. I just wish others could see the benefits. Blows my mind a civilised society would not want this :(

I have always felt lucky to have an NHS. When I read this I realise how hard it would be to implement in 2014. I just wish others could see the benefits. Blows my mind a civilised society would not want this :(

Yeah, it really is ridiculous. And while the Affordable Care Act did have some good provisions --- no more denial of coverage for pre-existing conditions, coverage of young adults under parents plan, some subsidies and expansion of benefits for low income people in states that chose to participate......IMHO it really missed the boat in general. Health care is still in the hands of the insurance companies. And insurance is still tied to employment. And it's still very, very expensive. For both the individual, and for the employer. Which means many employers can't afford to have people work full time. This happened to one of my kids. People talk about huge employers just not wanting to cut into their profits. But for many small employers it really can be cost prohibitive. When I was an employer we provided comprehensive health insurance for all our employees --- we had to pay $1,800 a month for our one employee who was over 55.

Yeah, every time I hear about health care in America, I start singing 'Oh Canada' in my head. I had Leukaemia when I was 9 and my parents didn't pay a cent for my treatment and all I hear is how in America, my parents would have gone broke.

Yeah, insurance is a majorly sucky thing here in America. I'm sorry you were so sick as a child! The high cost of health insurance is one major reason why I'm so against these mega families to begin with. We all KNOW those poor Rodrigues children are uninsured or underinsured.

Yeah, it really is ridiculous. And while the Affordable Care Act did have some good provisions --- no more denial of coverage for pre-existing conditions, coverage of young adults under parents plan, some subsidies and expansion of benefits for low income people in states that chose to participate......IMHO it really missed the boat in general. Health care is still in the hands of the insurance companies. And insurance is still tied to employment. And it's still very, very expensive. For both the individual, and for the employer. Which means many employers can't afford to have people work full time. This happened to one of my kids. People talk about huge employers just not wanting to cut into their profits. But for many small employers it really can be cost prohibitive. When I was an employer we provided comprehensive health insurance for all our employees --- we had to pay $1,800 a month for our one employee who was over 55.

I think prohibitive costs was one reason, a major reason, that I got railroaded from my job earlier this year. I worked for a small accounting firm of 12 employees.

Last Dec/Jan, some things happened and it was revealed at work that I have diabetes. January is the start of tax season and I was assigned a particular new project, so they wouldn't have wanted to let me go.

However, the moment tax season was over in April, I started feeling pushed out and by July I was basically told I had two months to find another job. Which I did in August, a large government employer for whom this should not be as big a deal. I sure hope *fingers crossed.*

I feel they looked at my age, 50, that I'm not a CPA yet, and the diabetes and didn't see enough benefit for the cost.

Archived