IGNORED

Raquel has a job as a reporter

salex

god-sdaughter.blogspot.com/2014/11/a-dream-comes-true.html?spref=fb

Assuming this is not a bit of her fiction..... it looks like she is working for a small town newspaper.

See, she told you she didn't need an education.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't she leaving for Peru in a couple of weeks? I wonder how that is going to work with her "dream job"?

I saw on Twitter that she finally got asked out on a date, but, alas, she had to turn it down because he asked via text. :lol:

What kind of newspaper hires a barely educated teenager who cold calls for a WRITING job?? I don't care how small the publication is, I just find it so difficult to believe. She should get down on her knees and thank the good Lord that someone was willing to take an actual chance on her, even though I can't for the life of me imagine why this guy would.

a) I hope this paper has an online edition ;)

b) I hope the person who hired her realizes she has a reputation for plagiarism so someone better be double checking all her work before going to print.

I'm calling it. She did not get a job as a writer with a newspaper with no experience and no interview.

Did. Not. Happen.

This is as ridiculous as Razing Ruth's library job in Chicago.

MAYBE she got an internship. And that's a big fat maybe.

She has already bought plane tickets to go back to Peru. What sort of job would hire her with absolutely no writing experience and pretty much no job experience and then be cool with her leaving for an extended amount of time right after she starts the job?

I think there is a hell of a lot more to this story than she just called them up and they hired her over the phone to be a writer.

The small town paper I grew up with did hire a man who spent two year writing them letters correcting all the spelling and grammar errors in the newspaper. :lol:

I'm calling it. She did not get a job as a writer with a newspaper with no experience and no interview.

Did. Not. Happen.

This is as ridiculous as Razing Ruth's library job in Chicago.

MAYBE she got an internship. And that's a big fat maybe.

I'm with you, or else as someone else said it's a church newspaper.

Even back in the day, you needed a degree or some chops for even the smallest paper. Now, with very, very educated and experienced people in journalism unemployed, even the smallest, crappiest paying papers have their pick of really good people.

I suspect her "job" is like that of an "intern," and I even use that term loosely, at one paper I worked at. When the other editors had to leave and I was left alone for two weeks I found out they had been ghostwriting for her, and she got the byline, something I would have refused to do even if I wasn't too busy doing three jobs. She refused to do research, refused to make corrections, and threw hissy fits when she didn't get a deadline for stories she didn't write. When I told the publisher she was more trouble than she was worth to me, I was informed that she needed to stay because her "daddy" (in quotes because where I'm from, which was not where this paper is, adults don't use that term) was an important lawyer in town.

Reporter my ass.

If she really wants to be a reporter, that will probably last as long as it takes her to find out that you have to be impartial, you can't let your values interfere or influence coverage, and you need to interact with all sorts of people without judging them or ministering to them.

It would be entertaining for her to post about how she would have been on the Confederate side of the civil war in her bio.

It would be entertaining for her to post about how she would have been on the Confederate side of the civil war in her bio.

Is that a thing that she's said? Our little abolitionist is a Confederate? For fuck's sake. She doesn't have two brain cells to rub together.

Is that a thing that she's said? Our little abolitionist is a Confederate? For fuck's sake. She doesn't have two brain cells to rub together.

In the War Between the States, which side would you be on?

I like to say: I am Northern by birth, Western by heart and Southern by choice. In the War Between the States, I would be a Confederate.

god-sdaughter.blogspot.com/p/faq.html

In the War Between the States, which side would you be on?

I like to say: I am Northern by birth, Western by heart and Southern by choice. In the War Between the States, I would be a Confederate.

I am utterly speechless. "A Northerner birth and a Southerner by choice?" Good lord, that deserves to haunt her wherever she goes.

There is more to this story as others have said. There are some small town papers that have had teens or college students work as occasional columnists. Sometimes, in those situations, the college students were journalism or communications majors.

The no interview part is what is making me call BS. A good newspaper editor or publisher/owner would want to make sure potential employees know about journalism ethics and other aspects of being reporter. If, that guy did indeed hire Raquel over the phone with no interview, shit will hit the fan later on.

She could be writing a travel piece on Peru as another poster suggested. If she really has an internship, I think she will bail out on her dream of being a reporter as someone up thread mentioned.

There is more to this story as others have said. There are some small town papers that have had teens or college students work as occasional columnists. Sometimes, in those situations, the college students were journalism or communications majors.

The no interview part is what is making me call BS. A good newspaper editor or publisher/owner would want to make sure potential employees know about journalism ethics and other aspects of being reporter. If, that guy did indeed hire Raquel over the phone with no interview, shit will hit the fan later on.

She could be writing a travel piece on Peru as another poster suggested. If she really has an internship, I think she will bail out on her dream of being a reporter as someone up thread mentioned.

Even if by some strange happenstance she didn't have an interview, I can't imagine any editor worth his salt not doing a google search on her name and going: WTF is this?!

Even if by some strange happenstance she didn't have an interview, I can't imagine any editor worth his salt not doing a google search on her name and going: WTF is this?!

So I called.

“Hi, I was wondering if the newspaper was hiring,†I asked in a breathless rush. Part of me was sure the answer would be negative, while the other half of me waited with hopeful anticipation.

“Yes, as a matter of fact. We are in need of a writer.â€

Seriously, never happened.

“Oh yes, hello. I meant to call you this weekend, but my schedule got rather busy, I’m afraid. May I call you back this afternoon when I’m free?â€

Really seriously, never happened

She says that:

In honor of my new job, I wanted to show some respect to legendary journalists who I have always admired and who have been inspirations to me in my writings. Real life ones and fictional... ;)

- Ernest Hemingway

- Martha Gellhorn (later, Martha Heminway)

- E. B. White

- Joseph Pulitzer

- Barbara Walters

I'd be really surprised if this list came from anything other than a google search. Does she know anything about Hemingway, and even assuming she knows about his reportage, has she ever read one of his novels? Does she know the Hemingway and Martha lived together for years while he was still married to another woman?

And then, "While married to Hemingway, Gellhorn had an affair with US paratrooper Major General James M. Gavin, commanding general of the 82nd Airborne Division. Gavin was the youngest divisional commander in the US army in World War II

Has she read Martha's anti-McCarthyism novel?

Has she ever even read anything by E.B.White, much less in context?

Does she know anything about Joseph Pulitzer except the prize? His partisanship? His competition with Hearst? How that affected American journalism?

Suspect she has in fact heard of Barbara Walters. And only for the sad later stuff that she doesn't see on TV anyway, but not when BW was fierce and to be taken seriously.

(And BTW, broke ground because she became the first major female anchor instead of being a helpmeet."

If these people are really this woman's journalistic ideas, I'll happily eat crow.

I can't imagine it either. Raquel said she sent a link to her blog in one of her emails to the paper or editor. I have to wonder if the editor did a deep look of Raquel's blog. If there is truth to Raquel being hired as a reporter, at the very least someone else at the paper, will do research on her.

I might be wrong, but didn't Mormon blogger Courtney Kendrick aka C.Jane get her columnist gig with Deseret News due to her blog? But C.Jane is miles ahead of Raquel.

But...but...what happened to the band?!? They had band colors and didn't they have coffee mugs or something? Because all bands have official colors and drinkware before they have instruments and songs. And who's caring for God's horse?

But...but...what happened to the band?!? They had band colors and didn't they have coffee mugs or something? Because all bands have official colors and drinkware before they have instruments and songs. And who's caring for God's horse?

IIRC, Raquel and or her parents sold the horse a year or two ago.

What kind of newspaper hires a barely educated teenager who cold calls for a WRITING job?? I don't care how small the publication is, I just find it so difficult to believe. She should get down on her knees and thank the good Lord that someone was willing to take an actual chance on her, even though I can't for the life of me imagine why this guy would.

Well, a district in WV just elected a barely-18-year-old who's never lived on her own to be a lawmaker. She won the primary when she was still just 17. She thinks she has a "fresh" perspective, and that what this country needs is the perspective of her and others her age. You know, people who haven't filed taxes because they're too young to be independent yet.

If there are people stupid enough to elect a girl living in a dorm a few months after turning 18 in July, I can't be surprised a small newspaper would hire someone unqualified. Raquel is more qualified for a newspaper than Saira to be an official, paid politician making laws affecting things she hasn't experienced.

The summer after my sophomore year of college (English major) I applied to be an unpaid intern at the local newspaper. I was ready and willing to pick up coffee and dry cleaning and to make copies at the Xerox machine all day. Went in for a real grown up interview and still didn't get it.

even if the jobis real and is all what she"s trying to convince to convince us it is, she's not going to last long anyway. She had her 'dream job' as a photographer (taking class school photos) a bit more than a year ago, and then she had another 'dream job' as a waitress. The 'photography' job lasted for about 5 minutes and the waitressing lasted for less than 2.

This dream job really can't last more than five minutes because she has already bought the plane tickets to go "home" to Peru in December.

"I really love your writing style and enthusiasm and command of the English language."

This post hurt to read. No way is there an editor out there who's impressed by Raquel's "command of the English language".

Raquel is working for Radar Online... she is the one who wrote up the piece about Jessa's wedding, and then the other article based on the one comment in the same blog post.

Buahahahaha

Archived