IGNORED

What's this kind of abuse called?

Pretzel

Folks,

I just finished watching the episode in which Jana is talked into doing the alterations on Jill's bridesmaid dresses and the ties.

Are these people ever ashamed of anything? I doubt it. They're munching on petit fours, drinking tea and smiling venomously into the camera while Cinderella Jana is working her butt off and everybody acts as if this was all natural and a matter of course. :doh::angry-banghead::cray-cray: I seriously can NOT believe it.

It seems like the only genuine appreciation and approval came from Anna and it looked as if she just couldn't believe they had loaded all that work onto her, either.

I'm pretty sure all that exploitation and taking advantage of Jana's workforce somehow categorizes as abuse and I wonder if there's a special term for it?

I hated seeing Jana like that--it was hard to watch. I've always felt like the Duggars have been emotionally and mentally abusive to their children. Jana is socially isolated and her family has inappropriate expectations of her. She is so brainwashed and weak that she feels like she can't put her foot down even when complete strangers are appalled by the interactions between her and the rest of the family.

I didn't see her being "talked into it" at all. It seemed like Jill basically assumed Jana was going to do it, and her alone! At the dress shop when she decided on that blue one, she turned to Jana and said "what do you think, will you be able to do it"?

And I'll ask again... None of the other girls can sew?? Even Jill herself, was she all that busy she couldn't have spent a few hours on a free day helping out with it? I can understand if they don't have all the skills down. but Jana couldn't give them any direction?

Also, in the Jeub family, one of the boys enjoys sewing... Oddly enough they were invited to her wedding. I can't imagine any of the Duggar boys even being allowed near a sewing machine!

To be honest, I really question how much of these episodes are real. The Duggars and TLC make up story lines all the time in order to generate interest in the show and, you know, to actually have something to put on the air. People question other aspects of the show all the time, but when it comes to a fan favorite Duggar (like Jana), everyone immediately assumes that they are being mistreated. I find that interesting.

That said, it is entirely possible that Jana did alter all those dresses herself. As the eldest daughters I have no doubt that she and Jill bore the brunt of housekeeping responsibilities for the majority of their lives. The only difference between Jana and Jill is that Jill has the type of personality that allows her to do so with a smile on her face - for Jana, that seems much more difficult to do and I can definitely understand why.

If she did alter those dresses on her own, I suspect that it was worked out ahead of time and that her parents told her she would be doing the alterations. I highly doubt that Jill randomly decided on camera, all by herself, that Jana would do the alterations.

They might not be beating the kids (if they aren't now, I bet they have in the past though) but the way we have seen them treat the kids is messed up and dysfunctional enough and I think Michelle has some form of mental illness. Spiritual abuse is a definite too.

Poor Jana :( I feel so bad for her, she is so beaten down that she just gives into anything everyone says.

I googled "types of emotional abuse by parents" and found a page that describes 6 types:

1. Rejection

2. Ignoring

3. Terrorizing

4. Corrupting

5.Isolation

6.Exploitation

What they do to Jana is a combo of isolation and exploitation.

I wonder what happened to Jana to make her go from someone who was apparently like Hannie to this poor sad doormat :( Something must have happened to her back then that completely broke her, Im guessing at around the time of the jewellery box incident? Was that at about the time Michelle had her laundry room breakdown too? Im guessing at this point, poor Jana's life was chaos, her parents probably yelled/spanked more because they were stressed, she had to take on most of the childcare and keep the family going, and then she completely broke down and realised the only way to survive was to be the family slave.

Also: Inappropriate Control. Is another type of parental emotional abuse; add that to the list of types of abuse that appear to have broken Jana's spirit.

I wonder what happened to Jana to make her go from someone who was apparently like Hannie to this poor sad doormat :( Something must have happened to her back then that completely broke her.

Well being the oldest girl, she has seen and been through the most change, going from a fairly normal 3 child family to 4,5,,,,,19 kid family. And after each one more work and responsibility gets dumped on her.

The biggest abuse I see is that she is held captive at that home. She is nearly 25 and she can not go anywhere alone.

She is developmentally stunted, yet has the most responsibility, greatest work load and best work ethic of anyone in that home

If she so desires, she needs to be freed to move on with her OWN life.

Folks,

I just finished watching the episode in which Jana is talked into doing the alterations on Jill's bridesmaid dresses and the ties.

Are these people ever ashamed of anything? I doubt it. They're munching on petit fours, drinking tea and smiling venomously into the camera while Cinderella Jana is working her butt off and everybody acts as if this was all natural and a matter of course. :doh: :angry-banghead: :cray-cray: I seriously can NOT believe it.

It seems like the only genuine appreciation and approval came from Anna and it looked as if she just couldn't believe they had loaded all that work onto her, either.

I'm pretty sure all that exploitation and taking advantage of Jana's workforce somehow categorizes as abuse and I wonder if there's a special term for it?

Slavery

All of these kids have been emotionally and mental and probably physically abused at some point in their lives. Too bad emotional abuse isn't recognized and neither is joining a cult

I wonder what happened to Jana to make her go from someone who was apparently like Hannie to this poor sad doormat :( Something must have happened to her back then that completely broke her, Im guessing at around the time of the jewellery box incident? Was that at about the time Michelle had her laundry room breakdown too? Im guessing at this point, poor Jana's life was chaos, her parents probably yelled/spanked more because they were stressed, she had to take on most of the childcare and keep the family going, and then she completely broke down and realised the only way to survive was to be the family slave.

I've always thought that it was due to multiple Journeys to the Hart, but what you said rings true - she definitely is like an older daughter whose mother melts down and can't handle things, so she takes over at like, 9. And Michelle seems unbalanced. That's why all the people who are like "they are just such a sweet family" shock me because no one is THAT sweet ALL the time even on camera, it is intentional and required of all, especially probably the girls. So guessing that Michelle had major melt down problems is not just some random speculation. I mean holy hell there are probably therapists watching the show who are in torment every time they see Jana.

Archived