IGNORED

Sheila takes lori head on

jerkit

Remember Lori's post about having ZERO boundaries because Jesus?

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2014/07/are-setting-boundaries-on-others.html?m=1

Her nemesis Sheila just posted this: tolovehonorandvacuum.com/2014/07/setting-healthy-boundaries/

I heart Sheila.

ETA: she just reposted an old blog post on FB. This is apparently not new.

I like Sheila! I really like how she explained the difference between your own load and a burden.

I know Sheila is a more conservative Christian, most likely fundie lite, and wouldn't label herself a feminist. But this liberal, feminist-minded Unitarian Universalist really likes her. She's wise, open-minded, charming, empathetic and has a friendly, warm and smart writing style.

Can we make her a honorary Jingerite?

Can we make her a honorary Jingerite?

i second that motion! she's a breath of fresh air amoung the typical female christian bloggers we follow.

Looking at the dates on the posts, it looks like Lori's post (7/25) was in response to Sheila's (7/16).

:music-tool:

Looking at the dates on the posts, it looks like Lori's post (7/25) was in response to Sheila's (7/16).

:music-tool:

LOL I think I like this even better

Remember Lori's post about having ZERO boundaries because Jesus?

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2014/07/are-setting-boundaries-on-others.html?m=1

Her nemesis Sheila just posted this: tolovehonorandvacuum.com/2014/07/setting-healthy-boundaries/

I heart Sheila.

ETA: she just reposted an old blog post on FB. This is apparently not new.

I think Lori is once again displaying her lack of understanding of, well, pretty much everything. She seems to be interpreting the concept of "boundaries" as for other people -- so it becomes something that you make OTHERS do. That's not what boundaries are. They're about US. We set boundaries for ourselves. These boundaries protect us and our relationships with others. They don't control another person's choices.

I guess I'm not the only Sheila fan girl!

I don't agree with her on everything - I'm not Christian, I don't follow a submission doctrine, I can't imagine home schooling and I have some different views on sex ed.

What I do really like about her is that she's honestly committed to what I call REAL family values - you know, raising kids well and not abusing them, having marriages which are actually healthy and functional, giving kids a proper education, being of service to others, etc. Her columns are full of intelligence and basic common sense.

She's also not afraid to criticize elements of the fundie or evangelical world if they put out harmful messages. She's said that while she advocates no sex before marriage, a lot of "purity culture" messages are harmful. Ditto with some approaches to modesty. Ditto with child discipline (she is very vocal against the Pearls and does not advocate spanking). Ditto with women been told to tolerate abuse of any kind. Ditto with the idea that sexual pleasure is just something that is only for wives to provide and husbands to experience.

ETA: I'll use her most recent 2 posts to show where I agree and disagree with her.

LOVED today's post. I do waste emotional energy on things that I can't control at all. She doesn't just advocate being isolationist, though. She actually encourages us to expand our genuine sphere of influence and use it to change things for the better, like that father and son did with the Romanian orphans. Quite the contrast from Lori's "End Times are upon us!" approach.

OTOH, I don't think that erotica is really that bad. I do agree with some of her points about 50 Shades of Grey (both the writing quality and the messages are quite horrible), but I think that reading material that gets you aroused and that doesn't affect your core values can have a positive impact on a marriage.

This difference between Shelia and Lori:

Shelia

I’m quite convinced that a loving Christian DOESN’T equate to a doormat.

Lori

Most women, when they hear about submission, respond with, "Well, I sure don't want to be a doormat!" One of my readers recently wrote this on one of my posts ~

"Doormats serve a very specific and even edifying purpose, do they not? What if the doormat said, 'I don't want to be a doormat anymore' in a grumbling, complaining attitude? Then what would the floors of the house look like? All manner of dirt and filth from the outside world would be spread throughout our homes. But if the doormat takes pride in serving the home, filtering it of all the junk that would otherwise enter that home, then I say, 'God, would you allow me to count it a privilege to be a doormat for my home? Can I serve my husband so that before he enters his castle, he can swipe his shoes of all the outside mess he's stepped in all day? Would you let me count it a privilege to be that good man's doormat?"

Where in Scripture does it say to not be a doormat?

Lori

We are so selfish, always protecting ourselves and our rights instead of becoming like Jesus, sacrificing our lives for others, and yes, even becoming a doormat for others.

This difference between Shelia and Lori:

Shelia

Lori

Lori

I think I know where she was going with that -- but damn, that's some really offensive imagery. Instead of making it sound like she offers her husband support and love so that he can shrug off the day's stresses, she makes it sound like she's his punching bag. No freaking thank you.

And where do they even get a man smearing shitty shoes on his wife from ANYthing the Bible says? If anything, men are to *cherish* their wives. And just like I wouldn't use a toilet brush to clean my great-grandmother's priceless Wedgwood, my husband wouldn't use me to clean the filth off of himself.

Gad, I think they're all a bunch of obtuse morons.

I found the verse I am guessing Lori's blog is based on. It is not Titus 2, but 2Timothy3 verse 7

always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Lori is against setting boundaries? Didn't she demand that her children spend a couple hours a day in their bedroom so that she could have her rest? How is that not setting boundaries and how is that being a living sacrifice?

Lori is against setting boundaries? Didn't she demand that her children spend a couple hours a day in their bedroom so that she could have her rest? How is that not setting boundaries and how is that being a living sacrifice?

I think Lori is the most hypocritical fundie we snark on.

Archived