IGNORED

In Which Robert Gets A Dog Off Craigslist

lawfulevil

Serious question here: I consider my pets to nearly all be rescues, but only two of them came from an actual shelter. Does that mean they aren't actually rescues at all? What ARE they then? I didn't purchase them ... what's the proper terminology for an animal you take in who would otherwise be likely to die, be killed or live a difficult, short life -- an abused or neglected animal, a stray or feral on the street, or a rehoming situation where the animal would be at risk of going to a shelter? We have one of each. I always considered them to be rescues just like our shelter pets.

Whatever the official terminology, I call them "very lucky"! :)

My one dog is an "official" rescue. He was at the SPCA. The other dog was born in foster care. The kittens were hand-raised by a very nice family. But, they couldn't keep the kittens so I adopted them. I consider them all "rescues"...and they all have a very "rough" life here. Dogs sprawled on the floor taking a nap. One kitten snuggled against my leg, the other on my shoulder, both asleep. Man, it's rough to be a critter in my house...I should have it so rough.

Not so sure about the bathing. Our latest addition was from a local pet re-homing site. She was obviously loved, but very poorly cared for physically. We had to get her to a groomer right away, something I've never had to do before. She's a newfie/St. Bernard mix and I had no clue how to deal with the mats and ground in mud on her fur and smelled terrible. The women told me she took her to the groomer every other month, which based on her long fur, made sense to me.

The woman obviously lied to me, since we're able to go 4 months between trips and she still doesn't have fur as long as when I got her. Looking back, I'm very surprised that anyone would bring a dog to meet a potential new owner looking/smelling like she did, but it happens.

Moral of the story: Stupid people are everywhere. I'm the lucky one--I got another great dog.

My husband and I wanted to adopt a cat about 10 years ago. Hubs wanted a Persian. They rarely turn up in our local animal shelters, and breeders want a fortune for one, so we checked the local Greensheet. We found a woman who wanted to rehome her two Persian cats because her daughter was terribly allergic to them, so we agreed to meet and take one.

I've never in my life seen any animal in such bad condition as Puff was when we met her. She was filthy, covered with flea bites, and had been starved. The woman actually had a second white Persian male that was in even worse condition. The male was covered with sores on most of his body. As soon as Mr. R and M and I could pick our jaws up off the ground, we agreed to take the grey female.

What absolutely killed me was the woman we took her from claimed to be a professional groomer! How does anyone, especially someone who claims to professionally care for animals, let ANY cat get into that kind of condition?! We didn't even go home, we took Puff straight to the groomer's. The man who ran the place didn't want to take her at first because she didn't have rabies tags, but when we explained Puff's situation, he agreed. The groomer was even more horrified than we were. I seriously think he wanted to call animal control on us when he saw how bad off poor Puff was, but then understood that we weren't the culprits behind her poor condition.

We got her cleaned up, took her for shots and medicine, and then gave her lots of food so that she gained several pounds. She was a sweet, cuddly, loving little friend to all of us for a number of years. I miss her and was so glad we had the opportunity to give her a good home and a second chance at happiness.

I just don't understand how people can be so cruel to innocent animals. :cry:

My husband and I wanted to adopt a cat about 10 years ago. Hubs wanted a Persian. They rarely turn up in our local animal shelters, and breeders want a fortune for one, so we checked the local Greensheet. We found a woman who wanted to rehome her two Persian cats because her daughter was terribly allergic to them, so we agreed to meet and take one.

I've never in my life seen any animal in such bad condition as Puff was when we met her. She was filthy, covered with flea bites, and had been starved. The woman actually had a second white Persian male that was in even worse condition. The male was covered with sores on most of his body. As soon as Mr. R and M and I could pick our jaws up off the ground, we agreed to take the grey female.

What absolutely killed me was the woman we took her from claimed to be a professional groomer! How does anyone, especially someone who claims to professionally care for animals, let ANY cat get into that kind of condition?! We didn't even go home, we took Puff straight to the groomer's. The man who ran the place didn't want to take her at first because she didn't have rabies tags, but when we explained Puff's situation, he agreed. The groomer was even more horrified than we were. I seriously think he wanted to call animal control on us when he saw how bad off poor Puff was, but then understood that we weren't the culprits behind her poor condition.

We got her cleaned up, took her for shots and medicine, and then gave her lots of food so that she gained several pounds. She was a sweet, cuddly, loving little friend to all of us for a number of years. I miss her and was so glad we had the opportunity to give her a good home and a second chance at happiness.

I just don't understand how people can be so cruel to innocent animals. :cry:

Nor me, but I'm glad Puff's found kinder owners in you and Mr Rescinded!

Whatever the official terminology, I call them "very lucky"! :)

We're pretty lucky all of us. :) Our "trash can kitty," who was fished out of a trashcan at 6 or so weeks old, is my little shadow. She has given us so much joy and love. And then there one of our little cavies, who had such a terrible URI when we took her that she needed three rounds of powerful antibiotics before she kicked it. She was left with permanent neurological damage and stunted growth, but she's opinionated and frisky and highly entertaining in spite of it. Each of our pets is something special, and I'm glad they're ours. (Even though sometimes the cats drive me bonkers with their clumsy selves).

Whether or not CM is exaggerating or lying, he certainly raises some red flags with this dog lover. Besides knowing that he is a blamer and shamer by nature, there's this:

He’s got good eyes but you can tell he has bounced around from family to family in his three years on earth. He’s in desperate need of a bath, so bad let’s say I drove home in 45 degree rainy weather with the windows down (because I did not trust him in the back of the pick up not knowing him).

They all come with a few issues and smelling to high heaven but within a few weeks they make the most loyal of companions. Ones who will put up with the noise and the dust of the woodshop just to be by my side

Ones whom Amanda can take jogging with her, who I know will protect her even if it costs them their life. As I sit here and write this at my desk, old Emitt is five feet away on the other side of the french doors sitting and watching me, wagging his tail

The quotes in red make me think he romanticizes the role of dogs (assuming the "good eyes" has to do with Emit's perceived character, not his eyesight). Notice that he only sees the dog in ways that serve humans -- no talk of what they will give to the dog, despite his being so proud of himself for rescuing the dog (just like Jesus can rescue you! :roll: ).

Unless specifically trained to do so (which is a long, involved process), there is no reason to assume that a dog will protect a human. I would not want my dogs to die for me -- I consider myself their protector.

Romanticizing life with dogs is not necessarily harmful, but it can be, especially coming from someone with CM's personality. People like him often don't see any need to earn a dog's obedience or affection, but expect it, and punish harshly if they don't get it.

The first quote in green makes it pretty clear that he finds it OK to let dogs he knows ride in the open bed of the pickup. The second may be nothing (those French doors could be to another room, or the dog may be outdoors briefly), but may imply that dogs live outdoors in his world. I don't agree with either of those practices.

But maybe dogs are the exception, and the Master Bloviator treats them well, since they will grovel and obey and not talk back.

As for dogs from shelters and rescue operations being clean, ready for adoption, and the households vetted first, I would imagine it varies hugely. I've seen caring, committed rescues who do everything right, and others that were a mess.

regarding dogs, protection and training...

Many years ago I had a GSD. She wasn't trained to do much except maybe basic obedience commands. One night I was alone with the kids and somebody was trying to get in the house. She started the whole growling, teeth baring thing. I let her out the back door (the person was at the front door). I heard a bark, a human yelp and then silence. My GSD came back in the house acting like she'd had the time of her life, with pieces of someone's jeans hanging off her teeth.

My GSD/Schnauzer mix is the same way. He is sweet and quiet...however...do not try to hurt me. The last time my idiot husband got stupid, my dog got between us and essentially "threatened" my idiot husband. I would not doubt my old man's desire to protect me and my home. How successful he'd be, I do not know. However, I do know he would try.

Many years ago I had a GSD. She wasn't trained to do much except maybe basic obedience commands. One night I was alone with the kids and somebody was trying to get in the house. She started the whole growling, teeth baring thing. I let her out the back door (the person was at the front door). I heard a bark, a human yelp and then silence. My GSD came back in the house acting like she'd had the time of her life, with pieces of someone's jeans hanging off her teeth.

My GSD/Schnauzer mix is the same way. He is sweet and quiet...however...do not try to hurt me. The last time my idiot husband got stupid, my dog got between us and essentially "threatened" my idiot husband. I would not doubt my old man's desire to protect me and my home. How successful he'd be, I do not know. However, I do know he would try.

For many years, I had a Rottweiler who was the same. Sascha was a quiet dog who had been trained in the basics (sit, stay, come, down, all that stuff...) she loved LF to pieces. That was her baby.

Once, they went out in the (fenced) yard to play. I was in the kitchen washing the dishes we'd used for lunch and talking to my mom on the phone... I turned around just in time to see a guy riding off VERRRRY quickly down the access road behind the house on his bicycle and Sascha standing with her front paws in the links of the fence. LF later told me, "Mom, I don't think she liked that guy because she showed him her big teeth!!" Apparently that dear old dog sensed something off about that guy and suggested in her best doggy fashion that he move along.

I had to have her euthanized in April because her back end finally gave out and she just couldn't get up. I still miss her and am not sure when I'll have another dog. :cry:

For many years, I had a Rottweiler who was the same. Sascha was a quiet dog who had been trained in the basics (sit, stay, come, down, all that stuff...) she loved LF to pieces. That was her baby.

Once, they went out in the (fenced) yard to play. I was in the kitchen washing the dishes we'd used for lunch and talking to my mom on the phone... I turned around just in time to see a guy riding off VERRRRY quickly down the access road behind the house on his bicycle and Sascha standing with her front paws in the links of the fence. LF later told me, "Mom, I don't think she liked that guy because she showed him her big teeth!!" Apparently that dear old dog sensed something off about that guy and suggested in her best doggy fashion that he move along.

I had to have her euthanized in April because her back end finally gave out and she just couldn't get up. I still miss her and am not sure when I'll have another dog. :cry:

((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

I had a chow chow-GSD mix who was the sweetest, most affectionate dog ever. He was good with cats, kids and other dogs, but he had very clear opinions on which people he did and did not like. I have no doubt he'd have taken someone's face off if he thought they were posing an actual threat to me. We also had a cat who we took in as a stray, and SHE was just as protective. She attacked someone who broke into our house once, which was actually kind of amazing of her. She'd also go around the house at night to check that all the kids were in bed and then slept at the top of the stairs, presumably to guard against intruders (well, that's what we assumed -- who knows with cats). I can't see the cats we have now doing anything but purring a bad guy to death.

Guys, I think CM is as pathetic as the next girl. But can we please not attempt to contact people listing their numbers in Craig's List ads with whom he has (allegedly) talked? Especially after those ads are taken down? I don't mean to be hand-slappy, but that is crossing a boundary. Let's let him hang himself with his paranoid delusions, rather than feed into that behavior:)

Our function here is to snark, right? Not infiltrate or harass.

I had a chow chow-GSD mix who was the sweetest, most affectionate dog ever. He was good with cats, kids and other dogs, but he had very clear opinions on which people he did and did not like. I have no doubt he'd have taken someone's face off if he thought they were posing an actual threat to me. We also had a cat who we took in as a stray, and SHE was just as protective. She attacked someone who broke into our house once, which was actually kind of amazing of her. She'd also go around the house at night to check that all the kids were in bed and then slept at the top of the stairs, presumably to guard against intruders (well, that's what we assumed -- who knows with cats). I can't see the cats we have now doing anything but purring a bad guy to death.

What an amazing cat! I'd love to have a kitty like that. :romance-heartsfade:

I'm loving all of the loyal GSD stories. When I have better space and income I hope a GSD/lab (or Golden) mix needs a human like me (and that I have either time or resources for basic obedience/friendly dog training).

I recently rescued a shepherd mix. I've owned GSDs in the past and felt pretty confident in saying this new girl we have is not very shepherd-like when it comes to protectiveness. Then one morning I took her out to potty and she got into a defensive stance in front of me, baring her teeth, growling, and hackles raised. It reminded me SO much of one of my GSDs I had when she went into guardian mode when we had a robber in our yard.

Turns out it was just a snake trying to find a warm place under the grill, but boy I was certainly safe with my rescue girl. I guess she does have that shepherd protective trait, just not when it comes to people.

I will say, when we picked her out at the shelter, we arranged to pick her up at the vet after her spay so she could recover in our home instead of at the shelter. (In our area, shelters do not release intact dogs to new owners).

My god the smell. She had that deity dog smell on top of shelter smell with a layer of fear stink to round it out. It was almost 100 degrees that day and we rode home with the windows open because she smelled awful. The. We had to wait for her incision to heal before bathing her. It was a very stinky two weeks in my house. I was burning candles and spraying air freshened left and right even though I hate artificial scents.

I knew there would be lots of stories about protective dogs as soon as I posted that. :D Brevity is never my strong suit, so I didn't want to go into detail in my original post - it was already pretty long. So I will address it now.

Have there been dogs who decide, all on their own, to guard humans? Are there dogs who somehow sense who is a bad guy, and get it right? Are there breed tendencies and individual personalities that lead some dogs to herd, protect, keep tabs on their group of other dogs/humans/sheep? Do some dogs stare at us with a heart-melting look that makes us feel like the center of their universe? Sure.

But problems can arise when people romanticize, and count on, a particular behavior or attitude from any and all dogs. A lot of inaccurate assumptions about dogs, whether they seem like compliments or insults at first glance, have led to clumsy human-dog relationships, and even outright cruelty from humans.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that my pets have a bond to me, and that they feel lots of emotions, many of them probably similar to what humans feel. But I don't place the burden of expecting abstract things like loyalty, nobility or respect on them, even if I see behaviors that appear to fit those descriptions from a human point of view.

That is not an insult to animals -- just the opposite! The fact that I can never really know exactly what they are thinking is part of the appeal, for me, and part of the reason I respect them. I care for them and train them using reward and repetition, and try to meet them more than halfway, because I think the burden to be kind and to try to communicate is on me.

A related issue is the idea that animals give unconditional love. Most people say it innocently, and sometimes just mean that dogs are not judgmental about external things (I agree with that!), and I let it go when I hear it from people who are treating their animals well. But I don't need it to be true.

As far as I'm concerned, it's my responsibility to love my animals unconditionally (not that it's hard! :romance-hearteyes: ) -- they didn't ask to be born, to be dumped by others, and then to be my pets. Our relationships were built by my fulfilling their needs and being kind, and I started that process on the day we met. So, there's no way to know if they would have loved me unconditionally -- that's not something I would ever test, and I bet none of the animal lovers here would, either.

But I've encountered people who expect unconditional love, who don't want to use reward in training, or even train at all, and expect an animal to just fall into line and adore them. They don't make the "unconditional love" comment lightly and in gratitude, or just to mean that a dog doesn't care if they have no money. They constantly want to test it, which can lead to abuse.

People who only take from animals, never giving, are behaving in ways very similar to those who need narcissistic supply from humans. Some people who over-romanticize the idea that dogs can be expected to rise to all kinds of noble heights run this risk.

And Cabinetman strikes me as just the type to be that way with a dog. I think his view of dogs, and his expectations of them, are about as realistic as his view and expectations of women.

Hope that explains why his comments were red flags for me. I will be very happy for that dog if I am wrong.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
NoneandDoneinCali-

1. "Allegedly" is typically reserved for people who are accused of committing a crime. Getting a dog off Craigslist isn't a crime. And how many shepherd/lab mixes named Emit/Emitt do you think were up for adoption last week? It's usually spelled Emmett...
2. The posting hadn't been taken down when I originally posted a screenshot- which didn't initially include the number, people looked that up. I never did text the guy, I was being sarcastic. My point was that Robert lies about everything, which made me wonder if he even adopted a dog at all.
3. Once someone texted a wrong number, I posted the full ad in the hidden tag. I didn't email someone for their number, the information had been public up til 5 minutes beforehand.
4. I don't really think it's going to end the world for someone to text a random dude on Craigslist asking if the dog is still available. Probably the least traumatic interaction anyone's had from a Craigslist ad- last time I posted a free microwave I got five people who wanted me to hold the damn thing for them, 2 random dick pictures, and an "offer of employment" from an MLM.
5. Robert TOTALLY isn't reading here anymore, remember?

I agree with thoughtful on this. EXPECTING your dog to be a protection animal without specific training from a qualified trainer is foolhardy (and a lawsuit waiting to happen).

However, there are some individual dogs/breeds that will protect their human or even other animal companions based on their bond with those people/animals. We've all seen news stories of dogs that have saved children or rescued puppies or even kittens that are not their own. Dogs are AMAZING animals, but each one is individual.

I used to joke that I never worried about being home alone because I would just let "the biter" out. He wasn't even a mean dog and he loved people, but he had a whole lot of triggers that would cause him to bite (and he was not a one bite and done kind of biter since he was a fear biter).

Right now I have tiny dogs and of course do not expect them to protect me. That being said, 2 of my chihuahuas are quite bonded to me and even when my husband gives me appropriate attention they give him a side eye to make sure that he's not doing anything harmful to me. If someone actually tried to hurt me, I would not be surprised to see them try to protect me even at their tiny (5 poundish) size. The other one would probably show the person good places to hit me since she spends a lot of time "abusing" me herself (she paws me for attention, even when I'm petting her with both hands...middle children are never happy! ;) )

That bond was built over the course of their young (one will be 4 and the other 1) lives. I respect them and treat them like individuals. They are both chihuahuas and even come from the same sire and dam. While they are similar personalitywise they each have their own separate personalities (the other one is also from the same sire and dam and is the black sheep...she is more like her sire so has larger personality difference than the other 2). I don't EXPECT them to do anything other than follow our (simple) house rules that they were taught when they joined the family and are consistent and reasonable for dogs. There is no physical punishment used and they are obviously indoor dogs, as all dogs (other than in very specific situations) should be.

Having worked in rescue most of my adult life, seeing someone that just obtained a dog putting specific expectations on the dog worries me. Particularly someone that uses physical punishments on humans.

I never said I "expected" my dogs to be protection...I was attempting (and failing) to point out that my dogs were protective. In the first anecdote, when I let my dog out....I was living in BFE Indiana where anyone who got bitten by a dog (or shot for that matter) on someone else's property was usually the one charged with a crime. In the second one, I was attempting to illustrate that my sweet, gentle old man would attempt to protect his family. The first dog was a full blooded GSD. The second is a GSD mix. GSDs are known to be protective over their pack and their turf. I've had many of them, none of them trained beyond basic obedience, yet they ALL were fiercely protective.

I do not "expect" my dogs to protect me...I have other means of protection. However, they will attempt to guard what they perceive as their turf and their pack. My youngest dog is now 5. He's a world-class goofball. BUT...if you attempt to come at me with bad intention, he will start by getting between me and whoever it is. After that, I don't know what he'd do...Both dogs went after my idiot STBX when he got violent. Did I expect them to? No. Did I command them to? No. They just did.

I never said I "expected" my dogs to be protection...I was attempting (and failing) to point out that my dogs were protective. In the first anecdote, when I let my dog out....I was living in BFE Indiana where anyone who got bitten by a dog (or shot for that matter) on someone else's property was usually the one charged with a crime. In the second one, I was attempting to illustrate that my sweet, gentle old man would attempt to protect his family. The first dog was a full blooded GSD. The second is a GSD mix. GSDs are known to be protective over their pack and their turf. I've had many of them, none of them trained beyond basic obedience, yet they ALL were fiercely protective.

I do not "expect" my dogs to protect me...I have other means of protection. However, they will attempt to guard what they perceive as their turf and their pack. My youngest dog is now 5. He's a world-class goofball. BUT...if you attempt to come at me with bad intention, he will start by getting between me and whoever it is. After that, I don't know what he'd do...Both dogs went after my idiot STBX when he got violent. Did I expect them to? No. Did I command them to? No. They just did.

Oh,I know -- you didn't fail at all in what you were trying to say! Sorry if my second post made that impression. As I said, I wasn't worried about anyone on this thread having these issues.

It's just that, when someone with Cabinetman's worldview posts about dogs having courage, nobility, loyalty, protectiveness, work ethic, willingness to suffer discomfort be near the human, etc., I see it differently than when a kinder, more realistic person does.

And, if someone posts about dogs showing a skill for which they'd never been trained after I post about my concerns, I worry that I didn't express myself clearly.

I also don't expect my dog to protect me. I actually fully expect that he will be bffs with my murderer with nothing more than a couple of pats on the head. Or if he's feeling grumpy, some people food.

However, I do feel safer with him around. Especially since the serial killer Israel Keyes gave the testimony on how he chose his victims. TBH, I never felt that unsafe. Then I realized that he staked out parks and trailheads I go to.

But logically, I know my dog is more likely to find me a bear and bring it to me than fight it off. And he's never met a person he doesn't like.

I'm sure Robert is a lazy dog owner. He seems like the type to chain a dog in the yard over taking it for a run.

It's just that, when someone with Cabinetman's worldview posts about dogs having courage, nobility, loyalty, protectiveness, work ethic, willingness to suffer discomfort be near the human, etc., I see it differently than when a kinder, more realistic person does.

Yeahhhh... I keep showing Boobert's blog posts to my grandpa because he really DOES know animals, unlike the bull-wrangler. This time, he read about the dog, shook his head and commented, "Boy, not only is this guy stupid, but he's a terrible liar. I'll bet the damn dog is more intelligent than he is." Ha!

Pop-pop said that if a dog who isn't trained for guarding/protection DOES guard you (like my old Sascha-pup did) that's a plus, not a given. He also said that even though animals do indeed have feelings, their thought processes and reasoning are so different from humans that it's unfair to expect all those things CM was talking about.

I'm sure Robert is a lazy dog owner. He seems like the type to chain a dog in the yard over taking it for a run.

Well, of course! Those bulls and goats don't wrangle themselves and Amanda's too busy gigglin' over the griddle to walk the dog for him!! :P

This whole dog protection discussion reminds me of a show that used to be on the Discovery Channel a few years ago. The basic premise was taking families that thought their home was safe from burglary,and, using the expertise of reformed former burglars, essentially break into their homes to highlight their security flaws. Many, many of those homeowners had large dogs (labs, goldens, the typical mutt) who they said would protect the home and keep it safe. Well, surprise surprise, I don't think a single one of those dogs freaked out or acted viciously towards the intruders. It doesn't help that they were savvy enough to bring a steak or a Kong filled with peanut butter, but it just goes to show you that it's best to err on the side of 'probably not gonna chase away the bad guys.'

I have a Weimaraner that I rescued who I know would go and hide in her kennel if she was approached by a stranger. If I expected her to protect me I'd be toast. On the plus side, she's super cuddly and great for keeping my feet warm on cold days. :animals-dogrun:

Archived