IGNORED

In Which Robert Gets A Dog Off Craigslist

lawfulevil

Yesterday on the way home from a business trip I stopped and picked up a rescue dog, Emitt. Emitt is 85 lbs of a Shepherd & Lab Mix. And 100% scaredy cat.

Despite Robert implying he picked this poor animal up off the side of the road- "in desperate need of a bath"- the dog closely matches the description of a dog posted to the local Craigslist. Spoiler alert- he completely misrepresented the situation.

As I sit here and write this at my desk, old Emitt is five feet away on the other side of the french doors sitting and watching me, wagging his tail & hasn’t moved…he’s ahead of schedule!

10e1oua.png

...Great obedience skills. Easy to train!

So, anyone want to put money on what reply I'd get if I texted the person who put that ad up?

That poor dog.

People who abuse animals are more likely to also abuse people. I can't imagine that the reverse wouldn't also be true.

Do it! Text him!

I was wondering what was up with this post because a shelter dog wouldn't need a bath.

Thanks for doing the legwork! I didn't even think of checking Craigslist.

I was also wondering what sort of shady ass shelter wouldn't bathe the dog. When we got ours from the Humane Society they all but spritzed him with cologne and tied a ribbon around his collar.

Also he made it sound like everyone in the area knew he was so great that he'd take in any dog. As if none was ever euthanized thanks solely to him. Then he said he'd had a dozen dogs in his lifetime. That's fine, that's a normal number. But don't make it sound like you'd rescued hundreds when you' ve taken in a FEW (some of those dozen were surely childhood dogs).

Self aggrandizing douchelord.

oh good lordy fuck, robert, seriously? why do you make it so easy for us to pick apart your lies?

you know, on the way home, mr. l. ron cupboard became a topic of discussion for fiance and i. i had previously filled him in on a backstory of the whole thing, so he already knew the batshittery insanity that is cm. and he said something very pointed: that people who consistently lie about things, even just little things, are incredibly unhappy with themselves and their lives. they think themselves boring and uninteresting, and in an effort to appeal to other people, they build themselves up. the problem comes when one goes home (or logs off the computer) and you're met with reality, a reality that doesn't match your tall tales, a reality that you don't want. he said that he hopes cm eventually finds the peace that he's subconsciously desperately searching for so he doesn't feel the need to fall back on his lies.

I wish these people would stop getting pets. I can't read about it. Having done rescue for most of my adult life, I just can't even think about pets in the hands of people that don't even properly care for and in some cases abuse their children.

At least he got a large dog and only has 2 kids. These people that get puppies/small dogs and have umpteen kids from baby on up running around are just a disaster waiting to happen. It really doesn't take that much to seriously hurt or kill a young puppy or a small dog.

I have friends that have had dogs break legs just from being dogs. My husband who is always careful, accidentally degloved one of our dogs tails, which then required an emergency surgery and ICU stay, plus follow ups.

I just can't think about what is happening to these animals in the care of people that treat their children so badly :(

Ok, I can't stand L. Ron Cupboard, but I just re-read his post and it doesn't seem misrepresented to me, at least like his typical BS. Granted he's a lying liar who lies, but unless he changed his OP it doesn't say he picked him up from the side of the road, and the dog conceivably could have bounced around a lot and been stinky. The only obvious discrepancy I see is he refers to the dog as being three years old while the CL post says he's two.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
SHIT. Does anyone have the contact info? I texted the number this morning asking after the dog, and I thought I double and triple checked it. I got a text back telling me it was the wrong number, but the original post had been deleted so I couldn't confirm what the number actually was.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
SHIT. Does anyone have the contact info? I texted the number this morning asking after the dog, and I thought I double and triple checked it. I got a text back telling me it was the wrong number, but the original post had been deleted so I couldn't confirm what the number actually was.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
it's in the OP

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:

Damn, it must have JUST been deleted because I had pulled the CL post up not ten minutes ago. Perhaps CM asked them to delete it and warned them that his stalkers were on the trail. :lol:

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
it's in the OP

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
Screenshot has the hyperlink to click to show the contact info. :(

I wish these people would stop getting pets. I can't read about it. Having done rescue for most of my adult life, I just can't even think about pets in the hands of people that don't even properly care for and in some cases abuse their children.

At least he got a large dog and only has 2 kids. These people that get puppies/small dogs and have umpteen kids from baby on up running around are just a disaster waiting to happen. It really doesn't take that much to seriously hurt or kill a young puppy or a small dog.

I have friends that have had dogs break legs just from being dogs. My husband who is always careful, accidentally degloved one of our dogs tails, which then required an emergency surgery and ICU stay, plus follow ups.

I just can't think about what is happening to these animals in the care of people that treat their children so badly :(

Kids and pets can do fine together (and form lifelong bonds). But several factors come into play with fundy families.

1. Fundies are often alllll about corporal punishment. Not just with kids but also pets.

2. Fundies often (not always because my parents certainly didn't feel this way) believe that animals are just another part of the earth over which we have dominion, and by dominion, they really just meant power. So they don't really acknowledge animals as being living creatures, part of God's creation as much as we are.

3. Fundy kids are taught this, too, and are also taught that animals are disposable (one fundy home schooler I know bought some guinea pigs just to breed for a science experiment -- don't EVEN get me started on that -- and then gave all of the piggies away when the kids were "finished" with their "experiment.")

4. Fundies often have lots of kids, which means that even parents who do respect and love animals may not be able to stay on top of them enough to prevent accidents/misbehavior.

5. Fundy kids are often bullied, abused and mistreated, and sometimes they take their aggression out on things that are smaller and weaker. It's a sad truth that I've seen firsthand.

My kids have been raised with several types of animals, and they have always been kind, loving and gentle with them. But that's because we taught them right from the start (think babies old enough to roll and grab) that we use soft hands with kitty (or whatever), that the animals are part of our family, and that we absolutely do not tolerate any kind of mistreatment of people OR pets.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
Screenshot has the hyperlink to click to show the contact info. :(

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
Durrrr, that says "post ID" and then a number. It's not a phone number.

I just don't understand his motivation for lying, here. Would anyone think any less of him for rescuing a dog off Craiglist versus picking one up at a shelter or off the road? I certainly wouldn't, an unwanted animal is an unwanted animal. Why not just be straight with his readers? Of course, this is Robert we're talking about, who I am beginning to think has a serious issue with compulsive lying. Seek help, Robert, and not just 'Christian counseling', I mean real, actual help from a highly trained therapist.

You guys have shelters that bathe the dogs before release? :P I've never had a dog come out of a shelter for transport that WASN'T seriously full of stank, it's like universal. (And having done transports from leavenworth for breed rescue before, their shelter doesn't bathe 'em.)

I just don't understand his motivation for lying, here. Would anyone think any less of him for rescuing a dog off Craiglist versus picking one up at a shelter or off the road? I certainly wouldn't, an unwanted animal is an unwanted animal. Why not just be straight with his readers? Of course, this is Robert we're talking about, who I am beginning to think has a serious issue with compulsive lying. Seek help, Robert, and not just 'Christian counseling', I mean real, actual help from a highly trained therapist.

my maternal grandmother had the same issue, she would just lie, even about little, innocuous things. even if it made her look bad, when the truth would make her look good, she would still lie! i have no idea what motivated her to do it. she had a lot of other issues, too, including schizophrenia, paranoia, bipolar disorder, and probably a whole lot of other issues we'll never know about.

You guys have shelters that bathe the dogs before release? :P I've never had a dog come out of a shelter for transport that WASN'T seriously full of stank, it's like universal. (And having done transports from leavenworth for breed rescue before, their shelter doesn't bathe 'em.)

My sister is a bit prissy and can be very convincing (shes a lawyer) and just got a rescue dog and tried to arrange with the pound to have a groomer come before she picked him up. Needless to say the shelter employee looked at her like she was crazy.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I saved the phone number because of course I did.

2hq9uo4.png

And anyway, you'd certainly bathe the animal if you were fostering them and hoping to adopt out on Craigslist.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I saved the phone number because of course I did.

2hq9uo4.png

And anyway, you'd certainly bathe the animal if you were fostering them and hoping to adopt out on Craigslist.

Ok, I did mess up the number. Sixes and nines, man.

"Yesterday on the way home from a business trip I stopped and picked up a rescue dog"

Guess it's different in different places? My family's new rescue dog, which the breed was picked after a lot of thought, then involved getting in touch with the rescue organization. Which for that breed seemed close but that turned out to be just the organizer and the dogs were in other states. And the dogs in the closest state that they had they didn't think would work with a family with small children.

Plus the worker came out, met the family, walked the whole property and insisted on a different lock on the fence.

And then the one pup they felt was right for the family was several hours drive away--seriously, Jersy to Boston.

He may have stopped up and picked up a stray dog. He did not pick up a rescue dog.

Not so sure about the bathing. Our latest addition was from a local pet re-homing site. She was obviously loved, but very poorly cared for physically. We had to get her to a groomer right away, something I've never had to do before. She's a newfie/St. Bernard mix and I had no clue how to deal with the mats and ground in mud on her fur and smelled terrible. The women told me she took her to the groomer every other month, which based on her long fur, made sense to me.

The woman obviously lied to me, since we're able to go 4 months between trips and she still doesn't have fur as long as when I got her. Looking back, I'm very surprised that anyone would bring a dog to meet a potential new owner looking/smelling like she did, but it happens.

Moral of the story: Stupid people are everywhere. I'm the lucky one--I got another great dog.

"Yesterday on the way home from a business trip I stopped and picked up a rescue dog"

Guess it's different in different places? My family's new rescue dog, which the breed was picked after a lot of thought, then involved getting in touch with the rescue organization. Which for that breed seemed close but that turned out to be just the organizer and the dogs were in other states. And the dogs in the closest state that they had they didn't think would work with a family with small children.

Plus the worker came out, met the family, walked the whole property and insisted on a different lock on the fence.

And then the one pup they felt was right for the family was several hours drive away--seriously, Jersy to Boston.

He may have stopped up and picked up a stray dog. He did not pick up a rescue dog.

Serious question here: I consider my pets to nearly all be rescues, but only two of them came from an actual shelter. Does that mean they aren't actually rescues at all? What ARE they then? I didn't purchase them ... what's the proper terminology for an animal you take in who would otherwise be likely to die, be killed or live a difficult, short life -- an abused or neglected animal, a stray or feral on the street, or a rehoming situation where the animal would be at risk of going to a shelter? We have one of each. I always considered them to be rescues just like our shelter pets.

Archived