IGNORED

Dammit, Feminism!!

notsocommon

Shorter Jess Connell:

"I'm a coddled twit who went out into the real world, faced people and ideas that were different than mine. And because I was raised to think I was the most special snowflake in the universe and refused to put on my big girl panties and conduct myself like an adult, being a mommy was a challenge."

I was 18 and utterly clueless when I had my daughter. I am an only child and didn't do much babysitting...guess what, I figured it out. Keep one end full, the other end dry. She's 32 with kids of her own. We both survived! Ok, by the time I got to the "baby" (who's 24 and a daddy now), I pretty much had it figured out. I can cook, clean, garden, kid-wrangle, play referee, chauffeur, nurse, etc. no problem. However, NONE of those things would keep me busy all day.

My kids were and are CHALLENGING! Head-strong, free-thinkers, not afraid of conflict and definitely not "first-time obedient". My kids were more of the type that you had to let them figure out that whatever they were doing was not a good idea.

I find it offensive from the opposite perspective, because I did choose this lifestyle. I enjoy my job, and I have no interest whatsoever in having children. The notion that as a woman I should have been denied the education that led to my career in order to be taught childrearing skills outright horrifies me.

Fundies: Offending people from all walks of life since time immemorial.

I have two kids and am of the opinion that having sane, reasonably happy parents is essential to raising reasonably happy kids. My husband and I love our kids, could afford to have one parent stay home full-time but neither of us are temperamentally suited to it. (We each took a year's parental leave for the kids, me w/oldest, he w/youngest, and I was climbing the walls by Month 4 and Month 8, respectively).

There's no one "right" way to raise kids!!

Your children are very lucky to have you! I'm single and adoption as a single person can be a bit more difficult. I have married friends who've struggled with the process, and I'm not sure what role my chronic illness would have in the process. But I am fortunate to have a wonderful nephew and darling God-daughter to love and dote on. Then hand back to the parents when my nerves are shot. LOL

I just want to say that foster care is always looking for people. They supported my single parent adoption (yes I have a long term partner but he isn't on the paperwork) when the time came.

Archived