IGNORED

Casserole Recipes

Mela99

Hey guys. I am hosting Easter dinner this Sunday for myself, my fiance, his parents, sister and grandma.

I have the menu pretty well set, but I am trying to find a really good, knock out of the park, recipe for hashbrown casserole or some kind of scalloped/cheesy potato. You know, cheese, sour cream, onions, etc.

If you got one, shoot it my way

My family doesn't love scalloped potatoes, but they do like it when I cut the potatoes really thin (leave the skins on), and layer them in a baking dish with butter and lemon juice between the layers of potatoes. The top layer and the outside edges get crispy, while the inside stays tender. The lemon makes it interesting. Salt after cooking.

ALWAYS a winner! Tastes sooo good.

Totally agree. The French definitely know how to make spuds exciting. And I'm grateful! Thanks, France! :lol:

• 1 month later...
i think the duggar's have one ;)

:lol: :lol: Dang, I was going to post that, but you beat me to the punch.

• 3 weeks later...

:lol: :lol: Dang, I was going to post that, but you beat me to the punch.

That's an easy recipe. Fake cheese, fake soup, fake potatoes, all for a real heart attack.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm late the to the game with this one, but hey, this is a good recipe, so why not share it.

One bag tater tots thawed

2 cups sharp cheddar shredded

1 onion finely chopped

1 can cream of mushroom

16 ounces sour cream

1 small can jalapenos (optional)

1 container French's Onions for topping

Mix everything except for the the French's Onions and place in a 13x9 dish and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and top with French's Onions and return to oven for 10 more minutes.

This is great with burgers and barbeque. Easy to change things up to suit your taste as well.

I REALLY hope this isn't the same as the Duggar's recipe since I've been making it for over 20 years.

• 2 weeks later...

The way I like making a potato casserole is to slice raw potatoes thinly, as the point of baking the thing is to fully cook the potatoes. Even my grandma's variation of scalloped potatoes with cream of mushroom soup called for sliced potatoes so they cooked while the casserole was baking. Her version was basically cream of mushroom soup, an envelope of onion soup/dip mix, and cheddar cheese. I don't like the texture of shredded potatoes or hash browns in a casserole, but that's just my opinion.

The main thing I do is layer sliced raw potatoes with sliced onions, with white cheddar and geuyere cheeses, and pepper, then cover the thing with cream and bake until the potatoes are done.

• 5 months later...

I wanted to share this recipe. The store had been out of my beloved Bob Evans Hash Brown bake, so I decided to make my own. Want a casserole made of potatoes and three kinds of cheese? It's so damned good!!

Note: This is MY personal blog and my recipe.

thehappyidiot.wordpress.com/2014/01/02/new-years-dish-quadruple-cheese-hashbrown-casserole/

• 2 months later...

OT spin off from one of the Ken/Lori threads -

Tuna Noodle Casserole

Tuna Noodle Casserole

1/4 c. butter, melted

1/4 c. flour

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

4 c. milk

8 oz. noodles, cooked according to package directions (al dente - do not overcook)

2 6 oz. cans tuna, well drained

cheese as desired

bread crumbs, panko crumbs, or crushed potato chips for topping as desired

Combine first 5 ingredients as follows: (I use the microwave.) Melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add part of the milk (I start with one cup.) Stir well and begin to heat, stirring intermittently and heating, gradually adding the rest of the milk a portion at a time, heating in between additions. Keep stirring intermittently until all of the milk has been added and is hot and mixture is slightly thickened. Place noodles and tuna in 9x13 baking dish. Pour sauce over top. Optional toppings: cheese, bread crumbs, panko crumbs, or crushed potato chips according to your preference. Bake at 400F.

OMG. I had this for dinner, but it was a simple version. I am tired.

Cooked box of Mac & Cheese

1 handful of shredded cheddar cheese

2 cans of tuna fish - one with oil and one with water

Mix and eat - yummy. Comfort food.

• 2 weeks later...

That is one of my favorite dishes, but we call it Tuna Casserole. For the topping we've always used bread crumbs(no potato chips) until the last two times when Stovetop was added with the bread crumbs. I was surprised at how good it turned out.

• 6 months later...

No canned or boxed ingredients,please. Frozen is fine. So is pasta. Mostly looking to avoid putting canned soup on canned veggies and dumping Ritz crackers on top.

Thanks in advance!

i'm not sure it's possible to make a hot dish that doesn't have canned or boxed ingredients. :lol: at least, not from my family.

my mum made a deliciously wonderful chicken casserole with baked chicken, cream of chicken soup, and boxed stuffing on top. it was her go to and it was really easy and yummy and filling, but it definitely doesn't fit into your qualifications lol.

I love spinach lasagna rolls.

There are, like, a million permutations of the recipe online, and I can't find the one I normally use, but I'm sure they are all good.

EDIT: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/spin ... rolls.html

Found it. Except I add more cheese than the recipe calls for because duh.

• 2 weeks later...

Hot Chicken Salad

2 cups diced cooked chicken

2 cups sliced celery

1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp grated onion

2 tsp lemon juice

1 cup mayo

1/2 cup grated cheese

1 to 1 1/2 cups crushed potato chips

Combine salt, onion, lemon juice and mayo. Mix with chicken, celery and almonds. Pile lightly in a 9x9 pan. Top with chips and cheese. Bake at 350 F for 10-15 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve hot but still crunchy.

*We will also make this with leftover turkey (like after Thanksgiving)

Cabbage Casserole

1 medium head cabbage

1 lb ground beef

onion

spices

1 cup rice

ketchup or tomato sauce (traditionally we used canned but you could use homemade sauce)

Chop cabbage and cook until crisp in salted water. Mix ground beef with chopped onion and spices like you would for meatloaf (we change this up, using different spices). Place cabbage in a casserole dish and cover with beef mixture. Cover pan and bake 45 minutes at 350 F. While this is baking, cook rice. After 45 minutes spread rice over meat. If you are using tomato sauce spread it on top of the rice. Cover again and return to oven until hot. If you didn't use tomato sauce, serve with ketchup.

"Macaroni" casserole

We usually use macaroni, but sometimes it's whatever pasta we have handy. I have a big family, so I often use 5 cups of dry pasta (and randomly scale everything else up), but I'm pretty sure the original recipe called for 2 cups with the below measurements.

Cook pasta, drain, set aside.

Melt 2 tbsp butter or margarine. Add 1tbsp dried onion flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Add 2 tbsp flour. Mix. Add 2 c. milk. Let heat and thicken. Add 1 c shredded cheese (or more :dance: ). Pour over pasta and stir well. Put into casserole dish.

Melt 1tbsp butter or margarine. Throw in some bread crumbs (break a couple pieces of bread into pieces around the size of a quarter or a bit bigger). Stir. Remove from heat. Add 1/4c or so of shredded cheese, mix a bit and spread across the top of the pasta. Bake 350 for 20-30 minutes. Bread should be lightly browned and casserole bubbly.

• 1 month later...
Cabbage Casserole

1 medium head cabbage

1 lb ground beef

onion

spices

1 cup rice

ketchup or tomato sauce (traditionally we used canned but you could use homemade sauce)

Chop cabbage and cook until crisp in salted water. Mix ground beef with chopped onion and spices like you would for meatloaf (we change this up, using different spices). Place cabbage in a casserole dish and cover with beef mixture. Cover pan and bake 45 minutes at 350 F. While this is baking, cook rice. After 45 minutes spread rice over meat. If you are using tomato sauce spread it on top of the rice. Cover again and return to oven until hot. If you didn't use tomato sauce, serve with ketchup.

What do you mean, cook until crisp? Doesn't cooking it in water make it mushy like cabbage soup? This sounds good though! Thank you!

What do you mean, cook until crisp? Doesn't cooking it in water make it mushy like cabbage soup? This sounds good though! Thank you!

Think along the lines of blanching it, basically you want to cook it so it isn't raw but it is still crisp enough to not turn into mush, usually 2-4 minutes. (To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what this step does but that is the way the recipe was taught to me)

We just had this for dinner tonight and it was really quite good. While there are a couple of canned ingredients it is totally devoid of cream of crap soup in any form. http://www.savorysimple.net/mexican-tortilla-casserole/

I substituted Ro-Tel style tomatoes and used flour tortillas instead of corn (mainly because I bought the wrong kind.) a little sour cream on the side and it was great. Next time we are going to add some shredded chicken, but it is quite hardy on its own.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very simple recipe, relatively cheap, and a tiny bit tedious tho. But totally worth it.

So you grab your usual casserole dish that you use to feed the number of people in your household.

You bring some water to boiling and you semi!-cook one part of potatoes. You get rid of the water, let the tatoes cool off a bit, since you'll need to peel them. In the meantime, you boil one part eggs thoroughly, then put them aside to cool, too. Now, you need some really good, dark, perhaps smoked sausage, also one part. You peel and slice up the sausage, as well as the potatoes and the hard boiled eggs. You start building up your layered potatoes by placing one layer of sliced potatoes on the botto of your casserole dish. A layer of sliced eggs will follow. Then a layer of sausage. You repeat the procedure until you run out of ingredients. In the meantime, you might want to fry a few slices of sausage and use it's grease to spice up 3-4 cups of sour cream, along with some chopped schnidling. Pour it over top of your layered stuff and let it go down between the layers and spread it's goodness all over the food.

Then, you put it in the oven until the sour cream on top of food turns golden brown.

An absolute favorite.

Archived