IGNORED

Jessa's Engagement Episode 11/4/14

JumpingD

Did anyone besides me notice that BENS parents didn't seem upset that they held hands at the table. Right after the prayer when Jim Bob and Michelle were still discussing it with Jessa, Ben and his mom were having a conversation that by the looks on their faces had nothing to do with the hand holding?

I guess to me it seemed like they were fine with it and almost trying to move on and change the subject!!

After watching this episode I do feel Guinn is a very warm person.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did anyone besides me notice that BENS parents didn't seem upset that they held hands at the table. Right after the prayer when Jim Bob and Michelle were still discussing it with Jessa, Ben and his mom were having a conversation that by the looks on their faces had nothing to do with the hand holding?

I guess to me it seemed like they were fine with it and almost trying to move on and change the subject!!

After watching this episode I do feel Guinn is a very warm person.

Mullet would've been the one harping on about it that's for sure.

Mullet would've been the one harping on about it that's for sure.

And I bet that there was a big discussion about it off camera too - that pre-engagement hand holding is evil because it will lead to a frontal hug at engagement!

:cray-cray:

I don't think so. I think its a copyright/contractual violation with People/TLC since the only ones that are being deleted are professional shots. The one of them sucking face is still up there, which is the one I would think her parents wouldn't want up.

Oh see I think they like the suck face ones. They are the king and queen of weird behavior, golf dry humping, kissing over crib with josh and Anna, etc.

I think the Kissing picture was a way of showing us heathens how much passion they have from waiting to share their kiss after marriage.

I think there are edges of Jessa that feel out of sync with her Parent's restrictive beliefs, but I don't think she has formed that yet into conscious thought. More reactive with eye rolls and such, but if pushed she would recite the family line.

But, perhaps, getting a way from their continual and direct influence, and getting to see a warm mother in Guinn , etc, those edges to grow and her attitudes may shift.

I do worry though, since neither has any sort of marketable skill to support them, if they will be willing to sell their souls in order to be darlings of the Fundie set, and make a living from the show, as long as it's on, and from speaking engagements, appearances, etc.

It is one thing to have principles and standards when you can support yourself, it is another thing entirely, when you have little mouths to feed and no means of supporting yourself.

Finally watched the episode last night and I have to say that this was the first episode where I felt like we really saw some of the kids true personalities. Yes, Jim Bob and Michelle were there same annoying selves, but I felt like the kids weren't just spewing lines they were being genuine. And now that we've learned Jessa doesn't like the spotlight I think that explains some of the reason she comes off as snobbish. Sometimes people who are uncomfortable in their situation can be standoffish which can be viewed as snobby. Anyways, just my two cents :)

I thought it was a really sweet episode. Sure, she knew he was going to propose, but I do think a young man could think up the scavenger hunt idea. I was married young as were many of my friends and having a creative proposal was a big piece of that. In fact one of my friends proposed to his now-wife with a similar kind of scavenger hunt. But I do agree that TLC probably footed the bill for the cost. It was definitely not home-spun in that sense.

I think it was nice to see their chemistry and real emotion. I hope the best for them. And I definitely think Ben was more confident and comfortable in this episode which made him more winsome.

I thought the hand-holding thing was hilarious! And how Jessa didn't even bat an eye, even when Jim Bob and Michelle kind of went back and forth. And Ben seemed a little nervous and Michelle seemed to reassure him, like: it's okay because Mom and Dad are here. Gives me hope that she does have her own mind and will at some level. That plus the steamy instagram photo. I'm not sure if that's because they are so naive they don't know it's erotic and think: we're finally kissing and can post it, or because they do know it is and kind of don't care anymore. Very curious.

Also: every time I see Ben's dad I think, "What is Steve Carrell doing on 19 Kids?"

Same here! :lol: He's like a taller Michael Scott.

And I did feel bad for Josh early on when he was talking about his proposal and saying it was basically in a "corner booth." But I suppose it's good he seems to have a sense of humor about it all. I think it must be hard to see how much the family lifestyle has changed even in the five or so years since he got married.

I definitely saw that as more of an FU internets moment saying that he had something grand planned but it was rained out so internets need to stop saying his proposal was lame.

Oh see I think they like the suck face ones. They are the king and queen of weird behavior, golf dry humping, kissing over crib with josh and Anna, etc.

Looks like you were spot on with this.

Everyone is hard on Jill for all the episodes about the lead up to the wedding. She doesn't & didn't have a choice! TLC & her parents pretty much determine what will be filmed and then TLC edits what will shown to the world.

The other girls are quieter, so they more than likely do show Jill's THs more and let's face it this season, it is all about Jill, again, not her call. She's the first girl getting married, so there is more hype, it's just the way it is and as I said on another thread, TLCs biggest rating grabbers are the wedding shows, so it plays right into their demographic. Also, don't forget, the Duggars & TLC time everything to get the maximum exposure, I highly doubt that Jill & Derrick made the decision on when to announce their pregnancy.

I would be surprised if there's not a lot about Jessa's wedding next season. Her engagement was clearly scripted, so I highly doubt TLC will go from that to the wedding with no wedding prep filler. It may be different than what they showed us with Jill and perhaps not as much, but it's more than likely the season focus, mixed in with the pregnancy. Hell TLC has enough for two seasons now!

I am curious at what point and if they do, the older Duggar kids sign their own contracts with TLC or if they're all still under Momma & Daddy's. Those things are pretty binding and getting out from under them is NOT easy, just ask Jon Gosselin, he lost and is still paying for what TLC & Kate put him thru when he tried to stop the filming of his minor children.

So I finally sat down and watched the engagement episode. WOW!

Some of it certainly seemed like Ben. It was just cheesy enough to have been mostly his idea. I'm guessing TLC helped with the logistics.

Was I the only one who feels like Ben's parents adore Jessa but hate her parents? There just seemed to be an odd contempt between them. I swear I caught some :evil-eye: from Michael and Guinn.

I'd like to have seen what was left on the cutting room floor when Ben and Jessa held hands. What little I saw of Guinn she looked put off by Michelle's reaction. I really wanted to hear her say, "They are praying and we are all here. What on earth do you think is going to happen Michelle?"

I thought it was sweet that Josh and Anna bought them dinner. Just a sweet gesture to let them know they were there in spirit. Too bad Jill couldn't have done something too. Even if it was just a note that said, "Jessa I want to let you know that Derrick and I are very happy for you." Not an after thought TH.

I loved that full frontal hugged! :cracking-up: I also hope that JB and Michelle didn't find out about that until it aired. Too late for them to do or say anything about it.

It's one of the few episodes I've watched in a long time that didn't leave me with something major to snark on.

I finally just saw the episode.

I liked it. I've never really been pro Jessa+Ben, but I really liked the coming together of the episode. I think what made me feel better about Ben, in all honesty, was seeing his parents. I love that Jessa has an influence around her like Guinn.

I've always been pro-Jill but I really liked the girls hanging out without her. They all seemed relaxed even though it was a big moment. It was also nice getting to see them all talk. I noticed that sometimes Jana isn't sure of her words, but it's nice watching her figure them out. I don't think she's dumb, but she hasn't really had to formulate long thoughts in the THs since after the first special because Jill's always been there to take over. I also like to get to hear from Joy.

I haven't read the thread(SORRY) but did anyone else notice when Jessa came walking down the stairs for dinner all the Seewalds were wearing blue, and all the Duggars who were going with them where wearing pink/salmon. Of course, this is Free Jinger so I'm sure someone has. I was just like, "I see you, TLC :roll: "

I also finally saw the episode.

I actually enjoyed most of it. The proposal was sweet. I wonder if Ben came up with it by himself.

I liked seeing the other girls' reactions to what was happening, like Jinger's face when Ben told them that he had talked to their dad. She seems very happy about all of it. I'm so glad!

I loved Anna's reaction to Ben's cockiness and how she told Smuggar she would have said no to prove him wrong if she would have know that he was that cocky too. Anna is really growing on me!

Guinn does seem like she would be a good influence on Jessa ... time will tell.

(I'm still not on board with Ben & Jessa getting married (yet) though.)

Ben trying to wrap the present ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

I wonder whether tell will have an episode featuring Ben & Jessa making their registries next season.

I wouldn't say I'm on board with the Benessa wedding, but after the wedding/seeing the engagement, I have a bit more hope that they will grow into their marriage and being ready. Now, they shouldn't have to grow into it, it's one of the side effects of this ridiculous courtship nonsense, but seeing the genuine feelings they seem to have and what a good influence Guinn could be on Jessa, I'm more hopeful for them than I was 2 weeks ago.

Just saw this today on YouTube. I kind of wanted to see Michele say, "Jill, who married Derick" at the beginning but they didn't seem to have updated that part yet. Is it the timeline thing?

Archived