IGNORED

I don't think Duggars get paid directly for mags

ncb

I've been thinking about all the Duggar stories in People Magazine. Many of us here have speculated that the Duggars get paid big for these covers but, I wonder if its actually an arrangement between TLC and People to feature stars from their shows rather than individual agreements with Jill and Derrick or whoever. Often when you are on a reality show you sign a publicity agreement that you will do publicity for the network/show as a part of being on the show. I am guessing that the magazine stories are a part of this arrangement. The Duggars aren't George Clooney, People isn't banging down their door to get wedding pics, I am guessing it is all part of the TLC machine. Thoughts?

An excellent thought.

This was said on another thread, and it had not occurred to me otherwise, this is publicity for TLC rather than demand from the public.

That might be why some Duggar was on the cover when Lauren Bacall died.

I just don't believe, deep in my heart, that Duggars sell the magazine whereas someone like Kate Middleton or even Kim Kardashian would.

You can't separate their pay from the "TLC machine." Yeah, it could easily be included in their contract...but if that's the case, the extra contract stipulations would come with a pay raise for Jim Bob. They wouldn't be doing all this extra work for free. I don't think Jim Bob would do ANYTHING for free.

I'd love to know the financial breakdown of when and how certain Duggars are featured in the media. For example, we know Josh and Anna get their own check for appearing on the show because they are listed separately in the credits (or so I assume), but what about the Dillards and Seewalds? Is it really possible that because they appeared on the show and didn't yet have their own contracts as married couples, any appearances in People magazine will mean that Jim Bob gets all the money?

The thought of that makes me physically ill. I really hope that both families negotiate their own contracts and cuts of the media pie before agreeing to anymore filming.

My understanding is that the magazines don't pay for the interviews but they pay for personal photos. This is why Brad and Angelina got millions for their baby pics. Most celeb interviews are for the publicity only. If you are on a TV show or in a movie you are contracturally required to promote it.

I'd love to know the financial breakdown of when and how certain Duggars are featured in the media. For example, we know Josh and Anna get their own check for appearing on the show because they are listed separately in the credits (or so I assume), but what about the Dillards and Seewalds? Is it really possible that because they appeared on the show and didn't yet have their own contracts as married couples, any appearances in People magazine will mean that Jim Bob gets all the money?

The thought of that makes me physically ill. I really hope that both families negotiate their own contracts and cuts of the media pie before agreeing to anymore filming.

I'm sure the newlyweds will get their own checks-- like Josh and Anna do-- but I wonder how much and will their cut come out of the check that JB gets? Lets say that the total budget for a show is $100,000 per episode. After the cost of paying the director, the film crew, and the catering, etc, there might be $25,000 for JB. Does JB get that same amount or will he get a smaller check because now the Seewalds and the Dillards also get checks? I don't see how the TLC could do it any other way. Certainly they will have to make worth the Dillard's time to be filmed. But is it possible that TLC would increase how much they are paying out?

Questions. I have a few.....

I'm just going to throw some info out that I know but it doesn't all relate to TV.

I don't know how much the Duggars make. I know at the height of Duck Dynasty the entire Robertson family was making around 1.2 million a season. It roughly figured out that each adult Robertson brought in 130k a season. That show was also bringing in around 12 million viewers. I also know that the girls on Dance Moms make zero but their mothers contracts state that a percentage of the mother's pay will go into a trust for the child. This is so they aren't viewed as professional dancers.

As far as magazine articles/morning show appearances it is very likely they are required to do X amount each season. These wouldn't be paid on top of their salary because the pay for those would be included in their contracted salary. It would more than likely say something like, "We agree to pay James Robert Duggar $150,000 for 15 episodes of 19KAC, 4 magazine articles, and 3 TV show appearances to promote the show" of course it wouldn't be in that plain of language.

Let's hope the married couples are compensated separately. Actually, they all should have money set aside in separate, private accounts until legal age- Too bad these participants are not covered by SAG protections.

My hope is that Michael Seewald and Cathy Dillard are advising their sons on the financial aspects of their new found "fame" and guiding them in the right direction for compensation for their own families now.

As a general rule, People Magazine is known inside the industry as a complete PR whitewash. If you're on the cover of People, it's usually a publicity deal and nothing to do with an actual story.

I never thought of TLC having a direct contract, but it makes sense. A lot of TLC shows get featured... Jen Arnold's cancer... Duggar Engagements... I think there was a "Say Yes To The Dress" series for a bit. You're probably right.

I think at least the non-Duggar adults have their own deals. JimBob would have to do a bunch of savvy legal moves to get their money... and he's too cheap to hire a lawyer to do that.

Archived