IGNORED

The Bates at Duggar weddings?

Ledbetteramy

Last but not least, I have a feeling that besides the Zach-John David friendship the Duggars and Bateses aren't really that fond of each other.

I agree, but I'll also add Joy-Carlin in with Zach-John David. I think Joy and Carlin seem to genuinely like each other.

For the most part, the Bates/Duggar kids interactions come across like kids who are 'forced' to play/hang out with each other because their parents are friends, which happens a lot. (Except honestly, the Duggar-Bates parents give off more of a frenemy vibe than friends. You just know Boob is bitter Gil married a daughter off to a Congressman's son.) Mom and Dad are friends with their Mom and Dad, so Mom and Dad hang out and send the kids outside to play together while saying 'isn't it nice we have kids the same age who can be friends' without really considering that the kids might not actually 'click' as friends.

If a Duggar/Bates courtship happens, I think it will be from Carlin down on the Bates side and Jed/Jer down on the Duggar side. None of the older kids seem that interested in each other at all, except Carlin-Joy and Zach/JD as friends.

Just look at how snotty and competitive both Jill and Jessa have been about their courtships, weddings and now baby Dilly. Jill probably made more unkind comments on air, but Jessa's actions have pointed to some major competition between the girls. I am going to call them girls because they are acting like kids in junior high about it all.

If the "Duggar Studios" new YouTube channel launched today is any indication some of the younger boys in both families enjoy hanging out and having fun together. They sure looked like they were having a blast in the music videos posted.

Edited once

Yeah, I can easily see there being rivalry between the older Bates/Duggar girls, Erin/Alyssa and Jill/Jessa in particular. 'The Battle of the Fundie Princesses'.

I really don't think they are as close as they pretend to be for the show/the sake of keeping it sweet. I rewatched the wedding episode a while ago and when the Duggar girls gave Erin the gag cooking gift, she didn't seem very sincere in thinking it was great and funny, she seemed like she was putting it on to 'keep sweet', the same way I do with family and get a little OTT in pretending I love something. And Jessa sounded snotty talking about the pink room, it was actually Bin who was cool about it and how it was neat how Chad went along with it to make Erin happy. It also seemed forced having the Duggars there when she was getting ready and having the girls pray with her.

(I also love how Joy barely managed to pretend to be excited to squee over the dress. As a fellow tomboy, I saw myself in that moment. 'Oh yay, it's white....can I go hang with the boys now?)

The whole Bates/Duggar thing has seemed strange to me from the beginning. At first, they seemed to like each other, but now it's like the Bates are basically just tolerating the Duggars. I have a feeling something went on that we don't know about.

This always makes me throw-up a little: Several seasons back, one of the numerous times the Duggars were crashing in on the Bates as a stopover on one of their trips, the entire Bates clan was waiting outside as the tour bus arrived. When the Duggar brood got off the bus it was a huge hug-fest. This was before the "side-hug" concept was invented. JB yells out "OK now, girls hug girls and boys hug boys!". They all basically ignored him.

I think the Duggars wouldn't mind dragging a Bates along on their show but I sense quite a bit of unease/resentment with the Bateses. I'm pretty sure that behind the scenes, they do quite a bit to discourage a Bates-Duggar match before anything's going on. Last but not least, I have a feeling that besides the Zach-John David friendship the Duggars and Bateses aren't really that fond of each other.

They seem to be having a whole lot of fun together on the videos they are posting.

They seem to be having a whole lot of fun together on the videos they are posting.

Agree! I don't think the Bates are just "tolerating" the Duggars. The videos and IG photos are proof that they are good friends. Most of their interactions have not been featured on the show.

Also, The Bates are too good for the Duggars? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the Duggars and the Bateses are good friends and genuinely like each other, but their relationship is nowhere near as close as the show makes it out to be. Two families with 19 kids each being best buddies is a great storyline for TLC, so they play it up as much as possible. Really, both families most likely have many far closer friends. Doesn't mean they hate each other or are in some kind of competition, just that the relationship is overblown by TV.

i think that rosydaisy meant kelly could get mean if she had to - like a mama bear when the poachers are trying to take her baby cub.

That's what I meant. Sorry, brain fog due to meds. However, I don't think she's as sweet as she seems, but outright mean, no.

I second that the Bateses are too good for the Duggars. Except for the Nathan Bedford Forest picture incident no major scandals have happened. They seem a bit goofy and foolish at times (c.f. Michael/la's name, the broken courtship) but actually I think that in some respects they're just too credulously honest. There is yet a truly embarassing thing to happen, though. The Bates parents generally seem able to literally "live and learn" while the Duggars think they know it all and that is what they convey to their offspring. Makes for a big difference.

I think the Duggars wouldn't mind dragging a Bates along on their show but I sense quite a bit of unease/resentment with the Bateses. I'm pretty sure that behind the scenes, they do quite a bit to discourage a Bates-Duggar match before anything's going on. Last but not least, I have a feeling that besides the Zach-John David friendship the Duggars and Bateses aren't really that fond of each other.

This. I don't think we will be seeing the Bates family on 19KAC now that they have a show on a different network. However, I think people who think the Bateses are more likeable than the Duggars will be in for a rude awakening. UP is a Christian network that probably won't edit or sugarcoat the ugly fundie.

I really don't get a mean vibe from Kelly, but I do from Michelle.

I think Kelly would fight tooth and nail for her kids and I don't see Mullet doing the same. Kelly always seemed more concerned with her kids' happiness.

Archived