IGNORED

Cannabis not Chemo

Bluenoser

This story is a bit older (Sept) and it got hushed up once it became a CPS case, so I haven't heard anything recently, but I hope this little guy is doing ok!

ottawasun.com/2014/09/12/cannabis-not-chemo-for-son-with-leukemia-says-ottawa-father

Give your kid the cannabis oil, but get them the chemo too. People tend to leave out the chemo and radiation part of their treatment when they claim that their cancer was cured by some hemp product.

If you're not a doctor , do not act like a doctor for your child.

I hope that this child will not think that the treatment is bad because of what his father said.

:angry-banghead:

We got this lecture from my idiot cousin and her even dumber husband when my dad was diagnosed with cancer. Only, forget the oil, they wanted him to smoke it.

And the entire tenor of the conversation basically was that saying so proved how liberal they were and how conservative and stunted we are. (Except that when it comes to most political issues not cannabis as a cancer cure related, I am usually more liberal than that pair of idiots--of course, since I go to church they have deemed that not true).

Of course, I also have the joy of listening to my sister-in-law lecture me every time I see her about how my dad just needs to do yoga and align his chakras and the cancer would disappear. :?

Cannabis can be used to manage pain and other side effects related to cancer treatment, but it should not be used a substitute for chemotherapy and radiation. This boy should be under the care of a licensed medical professional, not his father's.

'Tis the season, lousia05. I shall be looking forward to a full report of your crazy sister-in-law's shenanignas once Thanksgiving and Christmas roll around. ;)

Louisa - I got a good laugh, thank you. Nice to know there are lots of these types around and I was not specially selected for torture.

Oh ffs, I've heard of marijuana used to counter the effects of chemo (i.e. improve appetite/quell nausea) and for epilepsy (high CBD vs THC) but as a cure for leukemia? Utter nonsense and the mother chose the right approach.

Google Carley's Bill. If there was ever a case for the medical use of marijuana that would be it. Now instead of having to travel thousands of miles away for treatment, she can get it at UAB Medical Center Hospital in Birmingham, AL near her hometown.

Google Carley's Bill. If there was ever a case for the medical use of marijuana that would be it. Now instead of having to travel thousands of miles away for treatment, she can get it at UAB Medical Center Hospital in Birmingham, AL near her hometown.

that was what I was referring to when I mentioned CBD oil used for epilepsy - I don't think anyone's arguing that marijuana isn't a useful treatment for some illnesses. Leukemia, however, isn't one of them.

There is actually a great deal of research that shows that cannabis, cbd's in particular, do have strong cancer fighting properties. And fights the malignancies, not just helps with pain, increases appetite etc.

I don't have the research handy, but actual, real studies have been done. I don't know about leukemia, because I was looking into it for a family member with another type of cancer. One problem with research into the medical benefits is, of course, that there is very, very limited federal approval for research on cannabis, and the big pharmaceutical companies obviously are only interested in synthetic versions that can be patented. But even with those limitations -- researchers have shown that compounds in cannabis do kill cancer cells. And I'm not talking just anecdotal - I'm talking about information from peer reviewed established medical journals.

As a parent I'd still have my kid go the chemo route, as well as cannabis and any thing else I thought might help.

that was what I was referring to when I mentioned CBD oil used for epilepsy - I don't think anyone's arguing that marijuana isn't a useful treatment for some illnesses. Leukemia, however, isn't one of them.

I agree. I think medical marijuana can help with the side effects of chemo and other cancer treatments, which is one reason I support legalizing it for medical use at least. To me, one of the stupidest things the federal government has done is to say that there is no medical use for cannabis, and that they refuse to allow more research into the medical benefits of that plant because Big Pharma would lose money.

I agree. I think medical marijuana can help with the side effects of chemo and other cancer treatments, which is one reason I support legalizing it for medical use at least. To me, one of the stupidest things the federal government has done is to say that there is no medical use for cannabis, and that they refuse to allow more research into the medical benefits of that plant because Big Pharma would lose money.

The federal government holds multiple patents on cannabis as a treatment for a multitude of illnesses. (SOURCE: https://sites.google.com/site/6630507/ ) They KNOW it works, so much so that they jumped in on a patent while continuing the war on drugs. Cannabanoids do more than just increase appetite and quell nausea and pain, they repair damaged cells and kill cancer. The reasons there are no double-blind peer-reviewed studies showing the benefits of the plant are, as you said, mostly financial. The main reason cannabis prohibition happened to begin with and still exists today is because cannabis is such a beneficial plant that it would put MANY other industries in danger of failing.

I believe that each person's body and disease are different, as should be the processes we use to treat them. Perhaps there are cases in which combination chemo- and other therapies would be the best option, but I think I could have a really hard time making the decision to pump chemicals into my body with the intended purpose to wipe out cells. Every human has cannabanoid receptors already, but many chemotherapies are known carcinogens.

I encourage you to do your own research before coming to a decision should any of you ever have to. I know those who have gone the traditional route and been just fine, and those like my own mother, who have been forever changed by chemotherapy. The good news is that every day there is progress being made in cancer research, on all sides.

How cannabis was used to shrink one of the most aggressive brain cancers

but I think I could have a really hard time making the decision to pump chemicals into my body with the intended purpose to wipe out cells. Every human has cannabanoid receptors already,

Every human has muscarinic receptors already, scopolamine is a naturally occurring molecule that binds muscarinic receptors, it is found in the plant nightshade. However, I highly suggest you do not ingest it, it could kill you. I've said it once and I'll say it gain, mother nature has been evolving ways to kill us long before pharmaceutical companies came along. I will never understand the concept of "remedies from nature good, remedies from a test tube bad."

Though the possibility can not be ruled out the the reasons why we evolved the CB receptor are solely so we can have the therapeutic goodness of marijuana, it is probably highly unlikely. More likely there is an endogenous ligand in the body which regulates it and leading to a cellular function. No one knows why we have this receptor yet, but we will eventually. There just happens to be a naturally occurring chemical that triggers its function.

Cancer cells are a nasty. They have one purpose and one purpose only, divide and multiply. They have a keen ability to evolve mechanisms to continue this at all costs. Everyone knows most chemotherapeutics are nasty, but cancer cells are nasty too, and brute force has been needed to get the job done, consequences of this to healthy cells are well understood. Good news is that science is cancer therapeutics is evolving too. I have hope in immunoconjugates and nano-technologies that try and go after the cancer cells and leave the others alone. But only time will tell, as I've said cancer cells are nasty, and smart.

And yes, I've done my research, years of it, at an actual lab bench.

The main reason cannabis prohibition happened to begin with and still exists today is because cannabis is such a beneficial plant that it would put MANY other industries in danger of failing.

I'm sorry, but that is just complete in and utter bullshit. The pharmaceutical industry is a HUGE lobby, there is no denying that, but the legalization of marijuana is not on the top ten list, not even on the top 100. There is plenty of research that goes on in CB research, both in academia and industry. If there was really strong science that indicated it is the cure to all that ails you, molecules to the receptors would be derived, clinical trials would be run and approval would be sought as there would be big bucks involved.

I'm sorry, but that is just complete in and utter bullshit. The pharmaceutical industry is a HUGE lobby, there is no denying that, but the legalization of marijuana is not on the top ten list, not even on the top 100. There is plenty of research that goes on in CB research, both in academia and industry. If there was really strong science that indicated it is the cure to all that ails you, molecules to the receptors would be derived, clinical trials would be run and approval would be sought as there would be big bucks involved.

I'm curious, where do you see the big bucks? Particularly in regards to pharmaceutical companies?

While it takes some skill to initially develop strains with higher CB ratios, it's not like it hasn't already been done. And since it is is something that doesn't seem to remotely benefit from being turned into a synthetic -- what would be the point for pharmaceutical companies?

I don't think cannabis is the be all / end all of miracle cures, and have no problem at all with standard medications - several help me immensely. I just find it odd that so many people are so dismissive of anything that isn't developed under a Western Scientific model. There are many, many other healing methods developed and utilized in countless cultures around the world. Why would one method, barely 100 years old, automatically be considered better?

Yes, western medicine has had a great deal to do with overall lengthening on average lifespan -- but if you break it down isn't that in large part due to the success of one type of medication

( antibiotics) - combined with overall improvements in sanitation and access to safe food and water?

Every human has muscarinic receptors already, scopolamine is a naturally occurring molecule that binds muscarinic receptors, it is found in the plant nightshade. However, I highly suggest you do not ingest it, it could kill you. I've said it once and I'll say it gain, mother nature has been evolving ways to kill us long before pharmaceutical companies came along. I will never understand the concept of "remedies from nature good, remedies from a test tube bad."

Though the possibility can not be ruled out the the reasons why we evolved the CB receptor are solely so we can have the therapeutic goodness of marijuana, it is probably highly unlikely. More likely there is an endogenous ligand in the body which regulates it and leading to a cellular function. No one knows why we have this receptor yet, but we will eventually. There just happens to be a naturally occurring chemical that triggers its function.

Cancer cells are a nasty. They have one purpose and one purpose only, divide and multiply. They have a keen ability to evolve mechanisms to continue this at all costs. Everyone knows most chemotherapeutics are nasty, but cancer cells are nasty too, and brute force has been needed to get the job done, consequences of this to healthy cells are well understood. Good news is that science is cancer therapeutics is evolving too. I have hope in immunoconjugates and nano-technologies that try and go after the cancer cells and leave the others alone. But only time will tell, as I've said cancer cells are nasty, and smart.

And yes, I've done my research, years of it, at an actual lab bench.

I don't have time to educate you on cannabis prohibition right now. I am at work. In the legal cannabis industry. Just as you are biased, so am I.

Look up th Marijuana Tax Act of 1937, read about DuPont, Hearst, et al. There's an informative documentary titled, Clearing the Smoke: The Science of Cannabis. Watch it.

The federal government holds multiple patents on cannabis as a treatment for a multitude of illnesses. (SOURCE: https://sites.google.com/site/6630507/ ) They KNOW it works, so much so that they jumped in on a patent while continuing the war on drugs. Cannabanoids do more than just increase appetite and quell nausea and pain, they repair damaged cells and kill cancer. The reasons there are no double-blind peer-reviewed studies showing the benefits of the plant are, as you said, mostly financial. The main reason cannabis prohibition happened to begin with and still exists today is because cannabis is such a beneficial plant that it would put MANY other industries in danger of failing.

I believe that each person's body and disease are different, as should be the processes we use to treat them. Perhaps there are cases in which combination chemo- and other therapies would be the best option, but I think I could have a really hard time making the decision to pump chemicals into my body with the intended purpose to wipe out cells. Every human has cannabanoid receptors already, but many chemotherapies are known carcinogens.

I encourage you to do your own research before coming to a decision should any of you ever have to. I know those who have gone the traditional route and been just fine, and those like my own mother, who have been forever changed by chemotherapy. The good news is that every day there is progress being made in cancer research, on all sides.

How cannabis was used to shrink one of the most aggressive brain cancers

This is a case of a father denying consent to a treatment for a condition which is known to be fatal without treatment, and where the treatment is brutal but overwhelmingly effective - to the point that the disease is now considered curable.

Would I give up my child getting that treatment - and an almost-certain outcome of life vs. death - on the chance that some snake oil may possibly fight cancer with fewer side effects? Hell no. There would have to be far more research first.

I say this as someone who is married to a physician who has obtained medical marijuana certificates for some patients. We've got some decent data on using it for severe nausea, seizures, and certain types of pain including fibromyalgia. We don't have any data that allows us to ethically suggest that it is currently an alternate treatment for childhood leukemia.

When Boy R and M got his diagnosis, we had a physician who was genuinely sympathetic to our cause, and who also acted bizarrely excited when she got the results back for the specific type of leukemia he had. Baffled, I asked her what the deal was. She told me she was pleased because as awful as it is, and if you have to go through treatment for leukemia, ALL is the one to have because it has the highest cure rate out of all of them.

When the numbers are that good for a cure rate for a specific type of cancer, you don't just ignore that in favor of quackery and methods that may have a slim chance of working at best.

^ Just wanted to add that I think medicinal marijuana would be good for managing symptoms, and that I might have been channeling a bit from the other thread where the little girl's family wanted to take her off chemo so that she could go on a raw diet and get vitamin c treatments.

Archived