IGNORED

Annamatrix husband in blackface

ExCatholic

annamatrix.wordpress.com/

So, did anyone else see Anna's family's Halloween costumes this year? They were all members of the Avengers, which is pretty cool, but her husband is dressed as Nick Fury, complete with new, darker skin. I hope I wasn't the only one to do a double take!

wwwoooowwwww.

they do know that originally, in the comics, nick fury was white, right? and it probably would have been easier to do him as the white nick fury rather than go to the trouble of skullcap + paint.

I wish these people would just get raptured already so we don't have to deal with their stupidity anymore.

Uuuuugh. I sometimes can't believe there are people who don't know that it is not okay to do blackface!

I do have a question, though. Say someone wants to dress up as a character that is black. Like a little girl wants to dress up as Tiana from The Princess and the Frog. Is it okay for her mom to let her dress up like that as long as she doesn't paint her face or anything? Could he have dressed up as Nick Fury from the Avengers move (as in, same facial hair and skull cap) but kept his skin white? I feel like I'm not sure about the etiquette of this.

Uuuuugh. I sometimes can't believe there are people who don't know that it is not okay to do blackface!

I do have a question, though. Say someone wants to dress up as a character that is black. Like a little girl wants to dress up as Tiana from The Princess and the Frog. Is it okay for her mom to let her dress up like that as long as she doesn't paint her face or anything? Could he have dressed up as Nick Fury from the Avengers move (as in, same facial hair and skull cap) but kept his skin white? I feel like I'm not sure about the etiquette of this.

i think the rules are same if a black girl wants to dress as sleeping beauty: put her in the dress and give her the tiara and what not, but there's no need to paint the skin. cosplayers go as characters whose races are opposite their own all the time without resorting to that (one of my favourite cosplayers is brichibi, a larger african american woman who is beautiful, and she doesn't stick to black characters, but she doesn't paint herself white).

i just find it hilarious because the character of nick fury was originally white. but the movies as far back as iron man 2 (i think that's the earliest nick fury came into) cast samuel l jackson and now even the comics portray him as black and bald and facial hair, instead of white, short hair, and clean shaven. (that would be ultimate universe nick fury,. i'm unsure of the timeline but i suspect it was because of the samuel l jackson casting, they had to give the race change some level of legitimacy, so they threw in a weird explanation and went with it. cuz marvel. they do weird shit sometimes.)

i think the rules are same if a black girl wants to dress as sleeping beauty: put her in the dress and give her the tiara and what not, but there's no need to paint the skin. cosplayers go as characters whose races are opposite their own all the time without resorting to that (one of my favourite cosplayers is brichibi, a larger african american woman who is beautiful, and she doesn't stick to black characters, but she doesn't paint herself white).

i just find it hilarious because the character of nick fury was originally white. but the movies as far back as iron man 2 (i think that's the earliest nick fury came into) cast samuel l jackson and now even the comics portray him as black and bald and facial hair, instead of white, short hair, and clean shaven. (that would be ultimate universe nick fury,. i'm unsure of the timeline but i suspect it was because of the samuel l jackson casting, they had to give the race change some level of legitimacy, so they threw in a weird explanation and went with it. cuz marvel. they do weird shit sometimes.)

Okay, that's what I thought. I just saw a list of offensive Halloween costumes on the Interwebz and one was a white girl dressed up as Crazy Eyes, but there was no face paint and she was still her natural hair color. So I wasn't sure if the "rules" were different than I thought.

Okay, that's what I thought. I just saw a list of offensive Halloween costumes on the Interwebz and one was a white girl dressed up as Crazy Eyes, but there was no face paint and she was still her natural hair color. So I wasn't sure if the "rules" were different than I thought.

as long as she wasn't blackface, i'm not sure why it was deemed "offensive". though, disclaimer, i've never watched one episode of oitnb, so i only know through the interwebz that that particular character is black. only thing i can think of is whoever was saying that may have been overly sensitive about it. *shrug*

as long as she wasn't blackface, i'm not sure why it was deemed "offensive". though, disclaimer, i've never watched one episode of oitnb, so i only know through the interwebz that that particular character is black. only thing i can think of is whoever was saying that may have been overly sensitive about it. *shrug*

She also pretty clearly has a mental illness that hasn't been specifically defined in the show. Maybe dressing as her is seen as exploitative of that? It was some stupid Buzzfeed-esque thing that I didn't read, so I don't even know what the reasoning was.

EDIT: Trying to find the article again and can't. I wonder if the picture I saw at a glance was actually the actress who dressed as her last year and DID use blackface. It's not super dark black face, and I had to do a double-take to make sure it was. So maybe I thought it was a new picture of a different actress?

She also pretty clearly has a mental illness that hasn't been specifically defined in the show. Maybe dressing as her is seen as exploitative of that? It was some stupid Buzzfeed-esque thing that I didn't read, so I don't even know what the reasoning was.

EDIT: Trying to find the article again and can't. I wonder if the picture I saw at a glance was actually the actress who dressed as her last year and DID use blackface. It's not super dark black face, and I had to do a double-take to make sure it was. So maybe I thought it was a new picture of a different actress?

I wouldn't take the internets' word for what constitutes an "offensive costume". There are things that are CLEARLY crossing the line, like this, but there are also people who think that women dressing up as male characters ( and vice versa) is offensive to trans people or that dressing up as animals is cultural appropriation of otherkin (people who think they are animals/fairies/fictional characters). I once saw someone get mad at a costume of Ursula the Sea Witch because the woman wearing it was thin, and evidently that was offensive to People of Size.

No matter WHAT the costume is, there will be someone (probably on tumblr) ready to be offended. But just because you CAN be offended by something, doesn't mean you should be.

EDIT: There's a real movement of "EVERYTHING I DON'T LIKE IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD HATE IT TOO" which boils down to the fact that there are some people who are not content with just disliking something. If they dislike it, then everyone must also dislike it, and they'll use buzzwords and fuzzy logic to convince you you should. It's terrible because it detracts from legitimate cases where something IS offensive. So you don't like it when skinny women dress up like Ursula? Fine. But the minute you try and convince me that it's oppression when they do (because that's not what oppression is you dangus) is the minute I become more critical of anyone telling me that even about legitimately racist costumes.

I wouldn't take the internets' word for what constitutes an "offensive costume". There are things that are CLEARLY crossing the line, like this, but there are also people who think that women dressing up as male characters ( and vice versa) is offensive to trans people or that dressing up as animals is cultural appropriation of otherkin (people who think they are animals/fairies/fictional characters). I once saw someone get mad at a costume of Ursula the Sea Witch because the woman wearing it was thin, and evidently that was offensive to People of Size.

No matter WHAT the costume is, there will be someone (probably on tumblr) ready to be offended. But just because you CAN be offended by something, doesn't mean you should be.

I've always been very confused by otherkin, though I hadn't heard that phrase before, only the concept of people thinking they were born as the wrong species. Odd. And yeah, you are right about the interwebz and being offended. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something that I should know. Dressing as yourself for Halloween is probably the only safe bet if you want no one anywhere to get offended.

Holy SHIT, I just fell into an Internet hole of crazy.

Otherkin, transethnicity, transfat. The fuck am I even reading?

Otherkin, ransethnicity, transfat. The fuck am I even reading?

Okay, I gave up on that one, because even google only brought me food-related hits there... So, what is "transfat" supposed to be? 0_o

Okay, I gave up on that one, because even google only brought me food-related hits there... So, what is "transfat" supposed to be? 0_o

A thin person who is really a fat person on the inside.

aboutthinprivilege.tumblr.com/post/43309103425/to-the-people-making-fun-of-my-transfat-identification

This blog is about my struggle as a person with thin privilege, (physically, I'm 5',6" and 135 lbs) but also as a transfat, (internally I am about 5'8" and somewhere around 240 to 310 lbs) with this identification, I suffer from fat discrimination as well, a concept known as oppression duality.

I just... I mean... what the hell.

I think I'm dwarfkin because even though I'm human I'm kind of stingy and am really invested in the concept of fairness. Plus, I work hard. So I'm definitely a dwarf on the inside. I also have always wanted to be even taller than I am, so I'm clearly transreallytall. I'm only 5'11" on the outside, but I'm, like, 6'4" on the inside.

Here's a blog on why this person believes they are actually a possum. As you can clearly see, the only conclusion one COULD draw from this list of traits is being a possum in a human's body. Definitely not a lazy human with poor hygiene.

reasons I can relate to a possum:

-tired & unkempt, smells weird

-emotions ranging from “displeased†to “existential screamâ€

-no work ethic

-lies around looking dead when overwhelmed

-will eat trash & live amongst trash if left to own devices

-sometimes you feel bad and feed it a sandwich

DO YOU ALSO SOMETIMES LIVE UNDER MY HOUSE?!? Also, possums tend to be pretty clean and not very smelly. I know, because I shared my house with them for a time. They're incredibly intelligent, definitely not lazy, and prefer to eat live prey to trash (though they will scavenge).

I've also seen someone who thought they were a daisy and could do photosynthesis. Yes, because your cells have chlorophyll. Then there was the dragon-kin that was mad that it's mom was mad because it ATE HER JEWELRY.

Edit: Using "it" because they all have their own, made up pronouns that they insist (and I refuse) to use. Trans/genderfluid people have a legitimate struggle with pronoun use, and I will not make a mockery of that by pretending that scale/scales/scalesself, fae/faer/faerself, fawn/fawns/fawnself or robot/robots/robotself are sane pronouns.

We should start a thread for weird-ass activism.

I saw a thing about the dragon-kin eating his mom's diamond!

Here's more transfat shit (aboutthinprivilege.tumblr.com/post/58155014332/this-is-what-thin-privilege-looks-like):

I am a transfat individual who prefers to wear cushions underneath my clothing to represent my phantom fat and ease my transition to a larger state. I had to ride a bus home one day, and it was very crowded but I did find an empty seat that accommodated my true size. Then, at the next stop a bunch of other people got on and the bus filled up. This one cis douchelord sat next to me and had the audacity to ask me to put the cushion under the seat so he would have more room! I explained that no, I would not remove it. My phantom fat is a part of me that does not need to be violated by any white cis assholes. I told him he could stand if he insisted on having space.

I mean... this can't be real, can it?!

Otherkin, transethnicity, transfat. The fuck am I even reading?

I read that "phantom fat" post (in this thread) to my husband. I can't understand most of that. He figures, however, that these people - some of them, anyway - are unhappy with their self-image and believe, for whatever reason, that individuals of the desired size/ethnicity/species (etc.) are happier.

Depends. There are a lot of people who think it's whitewashing if a little girl wants to be Tiana ("there are enough white princesses, pick 1 of your own"), and there are a lot of people who think every Chinese girl should only get to dress like Mulan and every black girl like Tiana now that there's princesses of those races. I have a friend whose daughter was verbally attacked for being a Chinese girl with long, black hair, dressed up as Rapunzel a couple years ago.

When we have people attacked for not sticking to characters of their own race, that makes it harder for me to be mad about people using decent-colored makeup to chance their skin tone for a costume. If you want to dress like movie-Nick-Fury, who is the Nick most people know now, how do you do that? White-wash him? Decide that only black people can be him? No matter what you do, someone's going to get pissed off. This sort of face-painting isn't the same as the was blackface was done in the 1800's to make a joke of black people. I expected to see that black-as-night stuff slathered all over her husband with bright red lips like the old pickaninny signs, not someone who made a genuine attempt at looking as close to someone else as possible and not trying to make a joke of the character.

I know people are going to get pissed at me, and I don't care. I got just as pissed until some of my black friends told me that it's white people who are more pissed about this stuff now when it's just people trying to accurately portray someone and not make jokes of them, and better this than whitewashing. When the whole Orange if the New Black thing happened, some of the biggest fans of that girl playing the black character (I don't know names, don't watch the show, don't know who the actress is either) were black friends of mine who were glad that that character wasn't left out altogether or made white.

A thin person who is really a fat person on the inside.

aboutthinprivilege.tumblr.com/post/43309103425/to-the-people-making-fun-of-my-transfat-identification

I just... I mean... what the hell.

I think I'm dwarfkin because even though I'm human I'm kind of stingy and am really invested in the concept of fairness. Plus, I work hard. So I'm definitely a dwarf on the inside. I also have always wanted to be even taller than I am, so I'm clearly transreallytall. I'm only 5'11" on the outside, but I'm, like, 6'4" on the inside.

There's transdisabled too, physically abled on the outside, physically disabled on the inside. I found out about this a few years ago when I was given a link to a blog that is by someone screaming ablism because he couldn't get disability for his non-existent paraplegia and non-existent blindness, and how dare anyone tell him who he is on the inside isn't the real him. Hey, idiots, how about people dare when you walk in the social security office and read the paperwork with your own eyes?

Edit: Using "it" because they all have their own, made up pronouns that they insist (and I refuse) to use. Trans/genderfluid people have a legitimate struggle with pronoun use, and I will not make a mockery of that by pretending that scale/scales/scalesself, fae/faer/faerself, fawn/fawns/fawnself or robot/robots/robotself are sane pronouns.

Please be kidding. Faeself? WTF. I'll use ze/zir,or they/their, or whatever trans/fluid people want me to use (I sometimes mess up, but will try), but hell no, I won't use fae/faer/robotself.

That is just ridiculous!

Tumblr is so full of special snowflakes :roll:

Sure, I will use he, she and any gender neutral pronoun that someone who identifies as both/neither male or female prefers, but I think referring to someone as robot because they believe they are a robot is silly and kinda demeans all of the struggles trans people have to be accepted and have people refer to them as the gender they are, instead of whats between their legs.

If you want to be a dragon, fairy, fawn or robot......no, just no. If you are a male robot, why not go by he, or if youre a female dragon, why not she. Or if you are a genderfluid fairy, why not ze or they or something? Its not like humans use human as a pronoun.

Everyone has an idealised version of what they like to be on the inside, or may have some things about themselves that they would like to change. Its normal. Doesn't mean you can assign yourself some kind of identity and expect everyone to treat you as you see yourself. Just because you are thin, but actually would like to gain some weight doesn't mean you are transfat, it just means you need to improve your self image, or do something about your looks and try to gain weight. If this person is transfat, Michelle Duggar is transpregnant and should be treated as if she is permanently a few weeks away from dropping another kid out her vag.

That is just ridiculous!

Tumblr is so full of special snowflakes :roll:

Sure, I will use he, she and any gender neutral pronoun that someone who identifies as both/neither male or female prefers, but I think referring to someone as robot because they believe they are a robot is silly and kinda demeans all of the struggles trans people have to be accepted and have people refer to them as the gender they are, instead of whats between their legs.

If you want to be a dragon, fairy, fawn or robot......no, just no. If you are a male robot, why not go by he, or if youre a female dragon, why not she. Or if you are a genderfluid fairy, why not ze or they or something? Its not like humans use human as a pronoun.

Everyone has an idealised version of what they like to be on the inside, or may have some things about themselves that they would like to change. Its normal. Doesn't mean you can assign yourself some kind of identity and expect everyone to treat you as you see yourself. Just because you are thin, but actually would like to gain some weight doesn't mean you are transfat, it just means you need to improve your self image, or do something about your looks and try to gain weight. If this person is transfat, Michelle Duggar is transpregnant and should be treated as if she is permanently a few weeks away from dropping another kid out her vag.

LOL at 'transpregnant'. In her head, Michelle has 23 kids by now I'm sure!

But I completely agree with the rest of your post. I will use whatever gender/neutral pronouns someone is comfortable with, but I'm not going to use your made up pronouns because you think you're a fairy or something!

Trans ethnic is actually a real term used to describe minority children adopted into white households. The family gives the kid sort of a temporary white identity and doesn't prepare the for racism and prejudice in the way a minority family would since it's a shared experience.

Tumblr nitwits appropriated the term to somehow justify their cultural appropriation/fetishization. Transat is another appropriation of people's body struggles. They are both examples of people of privilege trying to apropriate the identity struggles of minority identites.

http://sjwiki.org/wiki/Transethnic

Trans ethnic is actually a real term used to describe minority children adopted into white households. The family gives the kid sort of a temporary white identity and doesn't prepare the for racism and prejudice in the way a minority family would since it's a shared experience.

Tumblr nitwits appropriated the term to somehow justify their cultural appropriation/fetishization. Transat is another appropriation of people's body struggles. They are both examples of people of privilege trying to apropriate the identity struggles of minority identites.

http://sjwiki.org/wiki/Transethnic

I feel like the problem with tumblr is they take legitimate experiences and apply them to their special snowflake situation and make it look like a joke and then no one takes the people legitimately suffering.

Depends. There are a lot of people who think it's whitewashing if a little girl wants to be Tiana ("there are enough white princesses, pick 1 of your own"), and there are a lot of people who think every Chinese girl should only get to dress like Mulan and every black girl like Tiana now that there's princesses of those races. I have a friend whose daughter was verbally attacked for being a Chinese girl with long, black hair, dressed up as Rapunzel a couple years ago.

When we have people attacked for not sticking to characters of their own race, that makes it harder for me to be mad about people using decent-colored makeup to chance their skin tone for a costume. If you want to dress like movie-Nick-Fury, who is the Nick most people know now, how do you do that? White-wash him? Decide that only black people can be him? No matter what you do, someone's going to get pissed off. This sort of face-painting isn't the same as the was blackface was done in the 1800's to make a joke of black people. I expected to see that black-as-night stuff slathered all over her husband with bright red lips like the old pickaninny signs, not someone who made a genuine attempt at looking as close to someone else as possible and not trying to make a joke of the character.

I know people are going to get pissed at me, and I don't care. I got just as pissed until some of my black friends told me that it's white people who are more pissed about this stuff now when it's just people trying to accurately portray someone and not make jokes of them, and better this than whitewashing. When the whole Orange if the New Black thing happened, some of the biggest fans of that girl playing the black character (I don't know names, don't watch the show, don't know who the actress is either) were black friends of mine who were glad that that character wasn't left out altogether or made white.

Ummmm no.. Just because its not the Minstrel/"Jazz Singer" type blackface does not make it more acceptable. A white person dressing as a black character does NOT need to darken their skin nor is it whitewashing if they don't. I saw whites dressed up as Jay z/Beyonce, various black football players, Nicki Minaj without blackface and people knew who they were nor were they accused of whitewashing. I would really like to know what black people you associate with that thinks blackface is acceptable in any form.

I like this. We had a TV adaptation on the BBC in 2007 of Oliver Twist - Nancy in that was played by a black woman called Sophie Okonedo. I can remember one or two people I knew moaning about the producers "trying to be too PC" but although it's highly unlikely that you got that many black people born and bred in the London docklands in the 1800s, it must have happened occasionally - and anyway, it's the character that's important (motherly towards Oliver), not her physical appearance.

Archived