IGNORED

Jana feuding with her sisters?

DGayle

I wish all these news things would leave her be.

I get sad thinking about how pretty and how nice she seems to be, but doesn't get the chance to find anyone and escape.

It is sad that she has to wait for someone to escape. I would love to see her leave on her own terms, marriage as a way out is not her only option.

That article is pretty much the same as the CinderJana article that has been circulating lately. I wonder if that's why they took Jana on the hate bus tour this past week...to show that someone ELSE can babysit all the little kids. I guess that someone else was JoyAnna and Jinger?

Plus, they needed Jana to drive the redeye shift. :whistle:

Of course Jana does it all with a smile - she has to STAY SWEET.

The girl staying so sweet she can go into a diabetic coma.

Being the eldest girl in a large family sucks big time. It makes me wonder that I had any kids of my own.

But then, I was brought up in a Southern Baptist family where it was expected that I'd get married and have kids. College was not an option - a waste of money since you only go to get your MRS degree anyway.

Bet the girl can't even go to a prayer meeting without takinig 1/2 doz little Duggars along.

By the way, is it my imagination or did they have a couple of toilets in one bathroom?

So they're not always the wonderful little kids everyone thinks they are...

Interesting that something which appeared in a book that came out in March is reported as if it's "news" today. :roll:

That story was old years ago, if it's the "jewelry box" story. They told it from the stage at some convention at least three years ago..

This is really old news. I mean it was featured on the show. And of course Jana heads the babysitting ring. She's the oldest girl. Even if she was courting, she'd probably still head it, even if that meant doing less work and more delegation.

Of course Jana does it all with a smile - she has to STAY SWEET.

The girl staying so sweet she can go into a diabetic coma.

There it is again, -a reference on FJ to the Duggar women (and others in their circles) "keeping sweet." I've asked this question before, and no one has answered it. I'm seriously wanting to know; does anyone have confirmation that this specific teaching (which IS part of the doctrine of FLDS/Warren Jeffs) is actually part of Gothard/ATI teaching? Are those specific words used in any of his writings, or are we just generalizing the FLDS "keep sweet" teaching to Fundie Christians because of the whole submissive/patriarchy/headship mess? TIA.

There it is again, -a reference on FJ to the Duggar women (and others in their circles) "keeping sweet." I've asked this question before, and no one has answered it. I'm seriously wanting to know; does anyone have confirmation that this specific teaching (which IS part of the doctrine of FLDS/Warren Jeffs) is actually part of Gothard/ATI teaching? Are those specific words used in any of his writings, or are we just generalizing the FLDS "keep sweet" teaching to Fundie Christians because of the whole submissive/patriarchy/headship mess? TIA.

IIRC, Michelle Duggar has used that term herself describing what they encourage in terms of their girls and their personalities-

ETA- I think the phrase is "keeping sweet".

IIRC, Michelle Duggar has used that term herself describing what they encourage in terms of their girls and their personalities-

ETA- I think the phrase is "keeping sweet".

In which episode(s)? I would love to get a grasp on the context. I mean, if it is about teaching her children to respond with a sweet spirit, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. A parent NOT wanting their child to learn to respond with kindness would be disconcerting to me. But if it is literally the teaching of FLDS, to "keep sweet at all times" (and FLDS uses that exact terminology), that would be equally disconcerting.

In which episode(s)? I would love to get a grasp on the context. I mean, if it is about teaching her children to respond with a sweet spirit, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. A parent NOT wanting their child to learn to respond with kindness would be disconcerting to me. But if it is literally the teaching of FLDS, to "keep sweet at all times" (and FLDS uses that exact terminology), that would be equally disconcerting.

I wish I could remember if it was an episode, during an interview or when speaking about something in one of their books- since I have never read any of their books, I would have had to have heard it said in person. And I know it was Michelle and not JB.

Hopefully, someone will pinpoint exactly when she said it. I'm thinking it was in direct relationship to a question asked.

I have a vague idea it was mentioned in the episode where they discuss family rules. Never lift a hand to hit. Never raise a foot to kick. Whatever. (The kids were all over the place trying to recite the rules.) I have a feeling that keeping sweet was part of those rules. Having a meek and quiet spirit might have come up there too.

I never heard the term "keep sweet" growing up- but there were several songs we sang and sayings that were about having a smile on your face to show that you had Jesus in your heart.

From a very early age- we were taught to think about everything we do and say- was it going to build up the Kingdom or hinder "The Work" (of spreading the Gospel......). Basically- that your feeling and needs and wants don't mean anything. And being called ungrateful was one of the worst things you could be called in our hourse. Woah until the child who was labeled as having an attitude of inagratitude.....

I never heard the term "keep sweet" growing up- but there were several songs we sang and sayings that were about having a smile on your face to show that you had Jesus in your heart.

From a very early age- we were taught to think about everything we do and say- was it going to build up the Kingdom or hinder "The Work" (of spreading the Gospel......). Basically- that your feeling and needs and wants don't mean anything. And being called ungrateful was one of the worst things you could be called in our hourse. Woah until the child who was labeled as having an attitude of inagratitude.....

I don't personally believe one can follow the teachings of Christianity, with genuinely good intention, UNLESS (among other reasons) he/she is concerned about how their actions impact others (which, according to Christ, would include the choices of humility, selflessness, gratitude, etc.)

If your parents were warping gratitude into something legalistic (eg. Michelle making Jana give away a treasured childhood possession, her jewelry box, to Jessa when Jessa was not mature enough to appreciate the gesture, nor was Jana mature enough to understand the selflessness of such an act) then I understand why you would feel as you expressed. Legalistic application would stink! I do differentiate, though (and no criticism intended), between subjective, legalistic expressions on the teachings of Christianity, and more objective, beneficial applications. In other words, I don't personally take issue with teaching children to be aware of an attitude of gratefulness vs. an attitude of ingratitude. But if the application becomes a legalistic list of unattainable or unreasonable rules, that is NOT in line with Christ's example, and for me, would only stir strife and resentfulness.

EDITED TO ADD: I don't pretend to know what you were conveying, as obviously I do not know your personal experience at home. My response was general and directed at my feelings about Christian principles and how they (and ANY teachings or philosophies for that matters) can be easily misinterpreted and/or applied.

Wow. Those " articles" wow :shock: . Did the author really just state she " uncovered" a secret feud based on the fight they had when they were 5 and 7? That's insane. And the Radar article regarding the Duggar House of Horrors? I really would of thought it was from the Onion!

I mean I know that online celebrity gossip has become hugely competitive, but still......

Hopefully Jana will get the best husband since hopefully she's become more selective than her sisters.

I think she's ok with Jill and Jessa leaving but I don't think there is any feud going on. I think she found the courtships humorous - ie. the nice little salad comment in the proposal show - and the just move the bed & the bathtub babies comments in the house decorating show.

And it seems like she and Joy like hanging out together.

Hopefully Jana will get the best husband since hopefully she's become more selective than her sisters.

I think she's ok with Jill and Jessa leaving but I don't think there is any feud going on. I think she found the courtships humorous - ie. the nice little salad comment in the proposal show - and the just move the bed & the bathtub babies comments in the house decorating show.

And it seems like she and Joy like hanging out together.

I loved the "move the bed" comment.

I don't personally believe one can follow the teachings of Christianity, with genuinely good intention, UNLESS (among other reasons) he/she is concerned about how their actions impact others (which, according to Christ, would include the choices of humility, selflessness, gratitude, etc.)

If your parents were warping gratitude into something legalistic (eg. Michelle making Jana give away a treasured childhood possession, her jewelry box, to Jessa when Jessa was not mature enough to appreciate the gesture, nor was Jana mature enough to understand the selflessness of such an act) then I understand why you would feel as you expressed. Legalistic application would stink! I do differentiate, though (and no criticism intended), between subjective, legalistic expressions on the teachings of Christianity, and more objective, beneficial applications. In other words, I don't personally take issue with teaching children to be aware of an attitude of gratefulness vs. an attitude of ingratitude. But if the application becomes a legalistic list of unattainable or unreasonable rules, that is NOT in line with Christ's example, and for me, would only stir strife and resentfulness.

EDITED TO ADD: I don't pretend to know what you were conveying, as obviously I do not know your personal experience at home. My response was general and directed at my feelings about Christian principles and how they (and ANY teachings or philosophies for that matters) can be easily misinterpreted and/or applied.

I can relate somewhat to what TXGirl is saying. My family had an evangelical streak at one point when I was growing up and "not having an attitude of gratitude" was very easily morphed into an expectation to "keep sweet" not unlike what the Duggars and their ilk expect of children and invalidation of valid emotions. Bad mood? Upset at anything? Where's your attitude of gratitude!? Ugh. Invalidation PLUS being told you're upsetting Jesus.

I do say this as someone who is one of the first to be annoyed by people who don't show gratitude for their advantages in life, and oh do I have some in my life like that, but IME this was totally different than some bratty teenager who acts like not getting their hands on some new electronic immediately is the worst.

I can relate somewhat to what TXGirl is saying. My family had an evangelical streak at one point when I was growing up and "not having an attitude of gratitude" was very easily morphed into an expectation to "keep sweet" not unlike what the Duggars and their ilk expect of children and invalidation of valid emotions. Bad mood? Upset at anything? Where's your attitude of gratitude!? Ugh. Invalidation PLUS being told you're upsetting Jesus.

I do say this as someone who is one of the first to be annoyed by people who don't show gratitude for their advantages in life, and oh do I have some in my life like that, but IME this was totally different than some bratty teenager who acts like not getting their hands on some new electronic immediately is the worst.

Attitude of gratitude-Holy Moly.

I think that kind of sums up the issue with the fundamentalist extremists in general. Some of their ideas are just flat out strange or wrong or out-of-step to the rest of the world. But many of them take what is a good idea or value and twist it or take it way too far.

Things like " first time obedience" -- sure I would prefer it if my kid wouldn't argue with me over. Every. Single. Thing. -- but I'm not going to make it my mission in life to beat them into doing what I say without question.

Or the way they want to shelter their kids from the evils of the world. I can understand the theory behind that. I was a wild teen, a couple of my kids were wild teens. A lot of damage can be done by some of the dangers out there. But that doesn't mean you need to keep your kid isolated from everyone who doesn't share your lifestyle.

Or having older kids help with younger, or being grateful or being sweet ( or kind, or patient, or understanding or whatever word someone would pick)

There's just a ton of stuff they seem to take a kernel of a good idea and put it on steroids until up it becomes something really un recognizable and negative.

It's the cherry picking of a little of this and a little of that. Christians who follow the tenets of an elderly bachelor who is not all that above board, as a start.

Ultimately, the Duggars worship at the altar of the greenback.

They have a thing for sexual purity- I really think one or both them were not "pure" when they married, and the fixation on their kids' purity is an attempt to atone for their own past behaviors.

They basically ignore many of the other religious tenets of Christianity.

Home church? Perfect for the sluggish who run on Duggar time -

It's the cherry picking of a little of this and a little of that. Christians who follow the tenets of an elderly bachelor who is not all that above board, as a start.

Ultimately, the Duggars worship at the altar of the greenback.

They have a thing for sexual purity- I really think one or both them were not "pure" when they married, and the fixation on their kids' purity is an attempt to atone for their own past behaviors.

They basically ignore many of the other religious tenets of Christianity.

Home church? Perfect for the sluggish who run on Duggar time -

I think the emphasis on sexual purity is partly due to their beliefs. But I think the constant emphasis on the show is because sex sells. So that's what TLC has them talk about.

I think the emphasis on sexual purity is partly due to their beliefs. But I think the constant emphasis on the show is because sex sells. So that's what TLC has them talk about.

Perhaps with a mainstream audience and show, but seriously, how many people are tuning into the Duggars to watch a show associated with sex? The results of unprotected sex....?

I think there are 2 main groups of people watching: other conservative, wholesome religious folks- they're not watching for the sexy scenes. and 2, those watching for the train wreck aspect.

Archived