IGNORED

Things you do that are fundie-like

bluehydrangea

I actually hate to admit this, but I like the way that the Duggar girls dress sometimes. I tend to lean more modest when I pick out outfits for myself and I think they have nice style at times.

My wedding dress is not strapless, but it does show a bit too much skin for a Fundie's standard. I'd laugh so hard if someone yelled "Nike" while dad and I walked down the aisle together.

Also, I tend to let my FI take the reins a lot. We always discuss things together and try to make decisions as a team... but I do have a tendency to allow him to make the final call if a decision isn't reached.

I'm currently back in school to eventually become a Nurse. . . but I really do wish I could be a stay-at-home mom some day. I'm torn on that because I want to be around the kids when they're little, but I also want to have a solid career going in case something happens to my FI.

And I currently have long hair. It isn't naturally wavy (pretty straight actually), but I wish it was.

You won't regret going to school now instead of later. Lots of nurses work part time. I am starting school now for nursing and I'm 39. So upset I waited so long.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gosh, I hate cooking, cleaning, baking, organizing, I fucked up everything I tried to sew, can't knit or crochet. My mom was a hoarder so I hate stockpiling stuff,I love my garden, but I grow flowers instead of veggies, I take great pleasure out of my flowers. I dress modestly only because I am overweight.

I do sometimes read the bible.......

All of these are great everyone! I think the only way I might fundie-like is that I am 34 and live at home. However, that is mostly do to the bad economy for years when I did not have regular employment.

Yeah, most of my fundie like things are invalidated by who I am or the reasons I do that thing.

Bought my house in cash -- as a single woman (gasp).

All my skirts are long -- because I sometimes forget to sit like a lady (hate crossed legs/ankles, although I genuinely try to sit like that in public while wearing skirts.)

Very familiar with the Bible, read it cover to cover, but in three different translations (NIV and New KJV, not fundie approved.)

Don't object to processed foods -- because I believe it's my body and I have no obligations to be beautiful or slim for anyone (and yet, the Late Mr. Womb still adored me.)

I know this is more old-fashioned conservative than fundie, but I hate having my (long, blonde, sadly not wavy) hair down in public. Not only do I find it messy and annoying, but I feel like my hair is quite special and personal and I want to keep it to myself. Part of me really loves the idea of only my boyfriend/husband getting to see me like that.

Let's see...

I don't have cable and it doesn't bother me in the least.

I have a few strong conservative political views, although I have quite a few very liberal ones.

I hardly ever drink.

I tend toward a more submissive personality.

I consider myself a feminist but a lot of times I think I would like a family more than a career and am open to the stay at home mom gig.

I am unmarried and celibate, although I had sex with one person outside of marriage. I have no interest in casual sex.

However...I am a pro-choice, agnostic feminist who likes travel, education and has been described as opinionated. I am terrible at being a fundie in other ways too. I just tend to be a naturally more conservative person lifestyle wise and always have been.

Turns out I pray my football team will win.

SORRY NOT SORRY.

(If I weren't watching a game right now, I would probably admit it's superstition, like someone might always wear the same socks on game day.)

I think it's interesting how many people (I assume women) here have a desire to be a SAHM for at least part of the time. I have no particular desire for this role, as I don't want kids, but I would LOVE to be independently wealthy enough to not have to have a job. Although I don't really think that you could equate that with SAHM, because presumably the impetus for wanting to be a SAHM is wanting to have more time with your kids, whereas my desire to not have to work just stems from laziness :D

Anyways, for those people who want to be SAHMs but aren't, what is the reason you don't stay at home? I presume many that finances are a big issue (although I have heard that in many cases it's cheaper to stay at home because childcare is incredibly expensive), and I know one poster said she wanted to have a skillset in case her partner couldn't work anymore, which makes sense. Are any of you working just because you feel like you're "supposed" to? In the sense that a modern woman should have a career? Just wondering because I know that for me that would be a huge impetus. I was always raised with the idea that I should have a job, that all clever women did have careers, etc.

I also like the way the older Duggar girls dress a lot of the time. I think Jessa has great natural style, and Anna has got actually pretty stylish recently. The zip dress is great!

Rhianna, I would want to be a SAHW because I don't think I want kids. The reason is just that I really enjoy homemaking. I mean like, pinterest/Mormon housewife level homemaking :lol: I can't afford to do that, although currently I am living with parents and looking for work while recovering from illness. Chronic illness also means that while I sometimes have the time to be Susie Homemaker, I don't necessarily have the ability which is frustrating.

Turns out I pray my football team will win.

SORRY NOT SORRY.

(If I weren't watching a game right now, I would probably admit it's superstition, like someone might always wear the same socks on game day.)

Are you trying to tell me that my lucky underwear doesn't really make a difference?!?!? Blasphemer! :lol:

Are you trying to tell me that my lucky underwear doesn't really make a difference?!?!? Blasphemer! :lol:

Apparently they don't make a difference at all.

My team lost. :(

THERE IS NO GOD.

Apparently they don't make a difference at all.

My team lost. :(

THERE IS NO GOD.

Here's the most controversial atheist statement that you can make in North America:

GOD DOESN'T CARE IF YOUR TEAM WINS.

Here's the most controversial atheist statement that you can make in North America:

GOD DOESN'T CARE IF YOUR TEAM WINS.

God doesn't care if YOUR team wins because he's too busy caring about MY team winning. :P

I am definitely not a fundie. Public school, very NIKE clothes (they don't really sell shorts longer than the crotch for people my age :lol: ) and a deep blue state. The only thing I have going for me is my long wavy hair, but I probably don't put enough effort into styling it.

I think it's interesting how many people (I assume women) here have a desire to be a SAHM for at least part of the time. I have no particular desire for this role, as I don't want kids, but I would LOVE to be independently wealthy enough to not have to have a job. Although I don't really think that you could equate that with SAHM, because presumably the impetus for wanting to be a SAHM is wanting to have more time with your kids, whereas my desire to not have to work just stems from laziness :D

Anyways, for those people who want to be SAHMs but aren't, what is the reason you don't stay at home? I presume many that finances are a big issue (although I have heard that in many cases it's cheaper to stay at home because childcare is incredibly expensive), and I know one poster said she wanted to have a skillset in case her partner couldn't work anymore, which makes sense. Are any of you working just because you feel like you're "supposed" to? In the sense that a modern woman should have a career? Just wondering because I know that for me that would be a huge impetus. I was always raised with the idea that I should have a job, that all clever women did have careers, etc.

My kids are grown now. But I'm one who would have loved to be a SAHM and couldn't. For me it was primarily finances, combined with the idea that you had to have a career. So, in my very expensive area, I worked and went to school and then just worked. And still never had tons of money. Even though our childcare costs were minimal because we mostly hobbled it together between working different shifts, trades with relatives and so-on.

If I were to go back in time I absolutely, positively would have made staying home, or at most working part time, my number one priority. With the number and type of kids we had, not being home was a bad idea. And the stress levels were off the charts.

Today, I wear long skirt and cover my hair. I feel fundie. (it rains, I can't manage my wheelchair AND a umbrella, I hate rain hood, soo...)

I actually feel very beautifull with the head-covering and think about doing it more often. I really feel fundie :lol:

I still stick with the clothing guidelines the nuns drilled into me in high school. They have worked well for church, business and just being out and about in the world.

I cook mostly from scratch and do make my own mayo but that is to control what goes into my food and that of family members with special dietary needs. Being horribly allergic to MSG doesn't allow a lot of eating out of boxes and cans. Even eating out can be a challenge.

Using coupons, stocking up and thrifting comes more from the fact both sides of my family were immigrants whose cultures and real life situations required thrift and frugality to survive.

I was also uncomfortable with a strapless dress for my church wedding. Since I got married at my alma mater some of those nuns were guests. It would have been shabby and disrespectful to dress super-over-sexy in their chapel. I did wear a strapless gown for my prom but even then had a bolero to cover my shoulders when on the street.

I don't drink either. Also, I tend to wear tanks or camisoles (AKA modesty shirts if you're the spawn of Stevehovah) under other shirts because I'm pretty busty and I want to make sure the girls are covered (again, I'm a prude about myself).

I am seriously considering making tater tot casserole tonight for my cousin who came down from Minnesota to visit (she calls it hot dish) :D

My fundie like traits are pretty minimal but one thing I have been doing for years is casseroles with cream of crap soup. It's my comfort food I guess. I also attend church on Sunday (nondenominational but no extremes) , cook and bake, have no debt, and love traditional hymns.

I absolutely hate working outside the home. Fortunately, we are in a financial position that I don't have to. While homeschooling the girls, I did work two days a week to keep up my skill set, and so I wouldn't have to ask my husband for spending money like a child :) That worked well, since the girls were super easy and self sufficient.

After the boys came, I quit my job. They were extremely challenging, and the stress was killing me. Now both girls are in public school. Now that the boys are almost at grade level, and we have most of the behaviors under control, I may send them next year. Mainly so I don't kill them. I will probably work two to three days a week again. I could do more, but there is plenty to do around here, and working is the biggest source of stress for me. As far as I'm concerned, working moms win the mommy wars, hands down. I don't know how y'all do it.

-SAHM

-do not use birth control

-pretty submissive to my husband in most things and usually accept all his sexual advances

-attend church every Sunday (Catholic) and pray everyday

-I am the Casserole Queen

-dress modestly, but to me that includes wearing pants

-pretty conservative/Republican

-shop @ thrift stores

I cook mainly from scratch, don't use birth control, do my own home canning, but that's about it.

I'm not all that submissive, but I'm very easy going.

I do 99% of the house and yard work. Since I'm home more, it's just the way it works.

My fundie like traits are pretty minimal but one thing I have been doing for years is casseroles with cream of crap soup. It's my comfort food I guess. I also attend church on Sunday (nondenominational but no extremes) , cook and bake, have no debt, and love traditional hymns.

Tuna pasta bake (aka tuna casserole) with cream of crap soup and crushed crisps (chips to you) and cheese on top is soooo nice. Cream of crap soup also makes a great sauce for chicken pie filling.

My fundie-ish traits are limited to where they cross over into hippie-ish back to the land traits, thanks to my loonie parents. I cook most everything from scratch, bake, and sew. I don't can, but I make a lot of pickles, and I'm a total grocery hoarder. I'm pretty ace on DIY stuff. And I usually wear skirts, because they're more comfortable, but they're generally not that long. I've read the Bible (and the Quran) multiple times, because of my (super godless) college major.

All of that is offset by: I work, I don't have children, I submit to no one, I vote left wherever possible, I certainly didn't wait until marriage, and I occasionally volunteer at Planned Parenthood.

I prefer long skirts (mid calf to ankle) and wear them most of the time. I home school one of my children (but not the other three)

I do make tatortot casserole but not often anymore.

A few more:

I like to sew.

I have long hair and I like to wear flexiclips (look them up... They are awesome)

I rarely drink.

Archived