IGNORED

Things you do that are fundie-like

bluehydrangea

Is Aldi really different in the US than in Europe? In the UK at least, Aldi (and Lidl, the other German supermarket here) sells just regular food you get in a supermarket - less choice, but it's certainly not the supermarket I think of when I think of shops selling mostly processed food. Aldi is particularly good for their cheap fruit and veg deals in the UK, and the middle 'random aisle' selling whatever the weekly offers are (their ski wear is really good btw).

I only have experience with Aldi in Florida, but the fresh fruit and veg were quite limited and usually over ripe. It's one of the things I went to the main grocery stores or to a farmers market to buy. In the US, people can be very brand-conscious; our Aldis stock their brand only (with the occasional buyout of a national brand). However, I found the quality to be excellent (except for paper products.)

I probably shouldn't have strung to the two together. I meant that I don't mind processed foods (like quick recipes that include canned soups) and I enjoy Aldi (where things are cheap), two separate fundie traits (or at least Duggar traits.)

I'm in California now and I miss my Aldi terribly.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find myself leaning fundie-lite in a few ways:

* I'll be teaching my daughter the 'character qualities' (but NOT the God-awful Gothard versions)

* I love Aldi

* I bake my own bread

* I garden

* I prep for small-scale emergencies

* I secretly love the way the Duggar girls dress (now, not the frumpers of the past) and sometimes dress that way, though for everyday wear you will find me in jeans or sweats!

* I have no debt - no mortgage, no credit card debt, etc.

* I'm a Republican :)

* I dehydrate, and freeze (depending on the food)

* I hate, hate, HATE Halloween (for some of the same reasons some fundies do, but mainly because I hate all things gross and scary)

When I went to college, I bucked my fundie-lite upbringing hard, maybe even way too hard. I did the opposite of all of it. This was tough!

I bought my house in cash after renting, but because I left renting in NYC, not really on purpose.

I'm pretty sure my wedding dress would meet Duggar modesty -- it was dead of winter!

I've bought a lot of used clothes off eBay, but thrift stores gross me out with the smell and the horrible memories. A lot of my furniture is used off craigslist.

I like staying at people's houses when I visit even though it's a total pain in the ass and sometimes too much fellowship.

Now that my headship is the primary breadwinner, which wasn't always true, I find myself submitting in creepy ways that are from my parents' crap. This can be a problem because I seem to only have two settings: keep sweet and 100% rebel not listening.

I knit my own socks

. I love to cook and bake from scratch when I have the energy.

I'm very familiar with the bible.

I distrust doctors.

I shop at thrift stores a lot.

I'm modern modest, because I hate my boobs anyway because they shouldn't be there.

Um... That's it, I think.

I prefer used clothing.

I wear skirts probably half the time.

I cook a lot.

I gravitate toward the bulk bins at the co-op, because I am by nature cheap-cheap-cheap.

I attend church every Sunday.

I sing in church choir.

I vote the way I do in part because of my religious faith. (Though my faith leads me to very different conclusions from those of fundies.)

I have on occasion asked and answered the question "How is it with your soul?" Unironically. (This totally baffles my schoolmates.)

I worked as a church secretary for a year.

I am interested in Christian intentional communities like Koinonia Farms and Reba Place. Had my life took one slightly different turn when I was 22, would probably be living in one now.

I use down time (bus rides, waiting in line at the post office, etc.) to pray.

I am in a prayer group with a bunch of lovely women ladies. We trade prayer concerns once a week by e-mail and meet once a month to pray in each other's presence.

I prefer hymns, chant, and polyphony to CCM.

I collect old hymnals, both for singing out of and for learning how doctrine has changed over time within a denomination.

I have the Bible in hard copy in three translations, the better for reading comparatively. One of them is even the KJV, though it is my NRSV that is conspicuously well-loved and marked up.

I took an Old Testament class in graduate school College Plus.

Though I rehearse with a secular humanist choir (which The Partner, who's atheist, asked me to join, as they were short on treble voices), I will not be singing in the ritual they're performing this December, on theological grounds.

Oh, and my hair has grown out to shoulder length, though that is preparatory to getting something wacky done with it.

I stay home and homeschool 3 of my kids, I have long hair, wear long skirts most of the time (even own a denim one) and have a naturally submissive personality. I've never turned my husband down for sex. I'm also a liberal, democrat, feminist, pro choice agnostic, so there is that.

I have long wavy hair, I'm naturally submissive, I have read the bible and was a regular church goer for a while there but I'm Catholic so that doesn't work, I wear tank tops under a lot of my tops.

I guess we all have a bit of fundie in us.

my husband is my first and only kiss, love, everything else. i didn't want to do the whole date a whole bunch of people thing, so i waited until i was 19... become friends with him first and things went from there.

in warmer weather i always wear a long tank under my t-shirts and tops, and in the cooler months i wear a long sleeved shirt under my clothes. i do this so i'm not going to show my stomach or boobies.

oh, and i'm also a SAHW and all i've ever wanted was to be a SAHM.

i forgot some!

i wear flip flops year-round.

i was homeschooled from grade 7.

there's probably a lot more, but that's all i can think of now.

Isn't it funny how so many of us are "modest" to fundie-standards, like to cook, do housework, have not had sex with their husbands before marriage, are religious in one way or another...

yet fundies pretend people like us are godless heathens with no sense of modesty and values.

Actually it's sad, isn't it? And I'm not trying to say that the bolded part are are things one should strive for. It's perfectly fine to be different.It's just fun that lots of people do some things just naturally the same way fundies yet they always accuse non-fundies of being full of sin and they are so super speshul because they do things so-and-so. :angry-banghead:

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
As for me, I'm a dynamo in the home. Well, I hate laundry and I suck at cleaning but I love to cook and bake and knit and organize. I'm a penny pitcher. I shop at discounters and thrift stores and I meet most fundies modesty standards (simply because I feel more comfortable that way).

I do some fundie-ish stuff. I have long hair, dress conservatively, and do all of the usual household chores (accounting, cooking, laundry, ironing, gardening, cleaning, mending, sewing, shopping). But fundies would definitely not approve of me mowing the lawn, much less anything else. I do a LOT of house chores that are decidedly not coded "feminine" as far as fundies are concerned- plumbing, electrical work, construction (I'm repairing our deck), minor car repairs/tasks. My husband's role in the house is to go to work (and he works very hard) and be adorable. I go to school full time, work part time, and take care of the house/cars. He works 90 hours a week. Strangers might think it's about gender roles, but it's not. It's about equal effort. Fundie heads would explode*, I'm sure.

*If they had any idea, which they wouldn't. I've lived in the same neighborhood for almost a decade and my fundie neighbors still don't know anything about me except that I have unlimited Batman bandaids and a tangerine tree.

1. I own a frumper. I LOVE that frumper.

2. I cook, can, and crochet.

3. I wear only dresses or skirts to church.

4. I read the Bible regularly. I'm an Oxford Annotated girl.

5. I have an excellent collection of sacred music.

If it weren't for my college education, joy in swearing, propensity for talking back to men, and day job, I bet I could have been an excellent helpmeet.

I think fundies refuse to recognize that some of us "non-fundies" have a sense of modesty and conservative values--because it forces them to acknowledge that the world isn't black and white. [and to do this, critical thinking skills care required] There can be different interpretations of modesty, and of family values. [For example, I think allowing gays to legally marry & have legal families IS a "family value"] But for a fundy, there can't be different interpretations--just one standard can be correct.

OH! I'm sweet! (Well, according to the boyfriend, anyway). And I do tend to "keep sweet," which I think is due a little more to my middle-child experience than any specific training to do so.

I mostly wear clothing that doesn't show my knees or shoulders. Not for religious reasons though. I prefer to wear capris because I hate how shorts ride-up when you walk and I think capris look better. I wear sleeved-shirts for sun protection. (I wear a regular bathing suit, though)

I pretty much schedule our days because I do better having a schedule/routine. Without it, my off times would consist of laying in bed, surfing the internet, and eating.

* As an aside, I have never eaten a casserole or Cream of Anything soup- so I can't be fundie*

I actually hate to admit this, but I like the way that the Duggar girls dress sometimes. I tend to lean more modest when I pick out outfits for myself and I think they have nice style at times.

My wedding dress is not strapless, but it does show a bit too much skin for a Fundie's standard. I'd laugh so hard if someone yelled "Nike" while dad and I walked down the aisle together.

Also, I tend to let my FI take the reins a lot. We always discuss things together and try to make decisions as a team... but I do have a tendency to allow him to make the final call if a decision isn't reached.

I'm currently back in school to eventually become a Nurse. . . but I really do wish I could be a stay-at-home mom some day. I'm torn on that because I want to be around the kids when they're little, but I also want to have a solid career going in case something happens to my FI.

And I currently have long hair. It isn't naturally wavy (pretty straight actually), but I wish it was.

I stockpile everyday items in my house. I always have at least a 3 month supply of basic items on hand- TP, shampoo, toothpaste, laundry soap etc.

A lot of people who have seen my pantry ask if I grew up Mormon and I tell them no, just in a household where there was often a shortage of necessities until the next payday rolled around.

It does come in handy sometimes though- when my brother-in-law lost his job, my sister came over a few times and was able to "shop" in my pantry. I go through everything a few times a year and put a red little dot on anything that is expiring in the next few months and make sure I either use it up or give it to someone who will.

My fundie quirk is I don't like tv and my family didn't watch it except for the occasional movie night. I mostly use the tv to play music. Tv is just so loud and intrusive and I hate that everyone becomes zombies when it's on. I'd rather spend time with my family talking and playing games, or crafting.

My fundie quirk is I don't like tv and my family didn't watch it except for the occasional movie night. I mostly use the tv to play music. Tv is just so loud and intrusive and I hate that everyone becomes zombies when it's on. I'd rather spend time with my family talking and playing games, or crafting.

i don't watch any tv, either. i do watch tv shows, but i watch them online or on dvd. no commercials. :D ESPECIALLY no campaign commercials, thank the gods. my brother turns on the tv in the morning when he gets up, and now i'm hearing endless campaign commercials. good gods, how did i ever get through them?

Any fundies reading here should be pointed to this thread. We are no that different to you, just we have open minds and tolerance.

I actually hate to admit this, but I like the way that the Duggar girls dress sometimes.

I do too, I think it's because if you cut their Gothard-long hair and plonk them in a city (without their sibs), they wouldn't stand out as being fundie at all.

Ways I'm fundie-like,

I do wear skirts most of the time.

I have Bible quotes and passages stuck up on my wall.

I have long-ish curly hair (but that's genetics).

I'd love to have a big family.

I prefer to live in the country than in a city/suburb.

My favourite song, probably ever, is Amazing Grace.

Growing up fundy, I'm sure I've got a lot of fundie-like attributes.

1. I don't really drink -- maybe a couple times a year and then only one drink.

2. I home school.

3. I have long hair.

4. I prefer hymns to CCM.

5. I don't feel comfortable wearing pants to church (but pretty much wear them all the time elsewhere).

6. I do NOT wear shorts or short skirts.

7. I love cooking, knitting, crocheting, sewing, etc. (But not cleaning. I could totally live without cleaning).

8. I prefer the King James version of the Bible, but I have an NIV Archaeological Bible that I absolutely love.

9. I would have loved to have a large family, but my uterus/body crapped out after I birthed three kids.

Isn't it funny how so many of us are "modest" to fundie-standards, like to cook, do housework, have not had sex with their husbands before marriage, are religious in one way or another...

yet fundies pretend people like us are godless heathens with no sense of modesty and values.

When I was a SAHM I gardened, and canned/dried/froze food for the winter, sewed a lot of my and my kid's clothes, baked my own bread. My mormon neighbor, who did none of these things, used to tease me that I was more mormon than she was. The teasing definitely had a edge to it. . .Like she'd grown up thinking mormons had a lock on all that was practical, frugal, and, yes, probably even moral.

I forgot to add that I was homeschooled, do all my shopping at thrift stores, and I don't remember the last time I raised my voice to anyone, let alone my husband. I've never beaten my kids, and I grew up Catholic, so I guess I can't be in the club.

I stockpile everyday items in my house. I always have at least a 3 month supply of basic items on hand- TP, shampoo, toothpaste, laundry soap etc.

A lot of people who have seen my pantry ask if I grew up Mormon and I tell them no, just in a household where there was often a shortage of necessities until the next payday rolled around.

It does come in handy sometimes though- when my brother-in-law lost his job, my sister came over a few times and was able to "shop" in my pantry. I go through everything a few times a year and put a red little dot on anything that is expiring in the next few months and make sure I either use it up or give it to someone who will.

TXgirl, I think it's great that you offered your sister to shop in your pantry. I think that's another point. Fundies think they are the only ones who put value on sibling friendship when actually, sibling friendships exist everywhere in the whole wide world. Fundieville does not have a patent on it.

I'll definitely adopt your red dot method. Should help me living more economical. I still have to throw out too much stuff. :angry-banghead:

All of these are great everyone! I think the only way I might fundie-like is that I am 34 and live at home. However, that is mostly do to the bad economy for years when I did not have regular employment.

Archived