IGNORED

Things you do that are fundie-like

bluehydrangea

I prefer long skirts (mid calf to ankle) and wear them most of the time. I home school one of my children (but not the other three)

I do make tatortot casserole but not often anymore.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm growing my hair out long again after having had it pretty short for awhile, I'm wearing lots of skirts right now, because I've lost some weight and all my jeans are too loose in the waist, but the next size down that fits in the waist is tighter than I like in the hips and legs so skirts are just more comfortable now, and if I wear a skirt it has to be long or I get self-conscious. I'm into homeopathy, but then again I'm also Pagan/Wiccan so I doubt they'd approve of that. Hmm I still like old shows I grew up on like Little House on the Prairie and the Waltons. I knit, and I like to cook. I'd love to have a homestead and be all off-grid and self-sufficient. Oh and I've explored the idea of homeschooling, just not for religious purposes.

That dress was amazing and would be a gorgeous wedding dress.

I didn't have a strapless wedding dress. Can't stand them. They all look exactly alike to me. My choice was doubly confirmed when we went to someone else's Catholic wedding mass a couple of months after ours and watched the bride hiking up the top of her strapless dress every time she stood up during the mass---too much moving around during a wedding mass to risk a wardrobe malfunction.

I still listen to a teeny bit of CCM. Mostly Rich Mullins.

Ah another Rich Mullins fan he's my one hold-over from my fundie-lite period in my twenties, his music is just beautiful. I still love Calling Out Your Name because of the hammered dulcimer he played on it. Sometimes by Step, Elijah, Hold Me Jesus, and Hard to Get and a few others are still favorites I listen to from time to time.

My hair goes down to my waist. I love long skirts and dresses. I usually wear a tank top under tips to cover my cleavage. I live in flip flops. I cook and bake (better than most fundies. A lot of them seem to cook food that looks gross). I love to help my elderly neighbor. I'm at home with my kids most of the time. At Christmas I enjoy the walk thru journey to Bethlehem places and I give all my neighbors treats, just like a Maxwell.

I don't watch TV, except if it's series which have been uploaded on the internet. I download nothing. I dress modestly to the point where my parents are asking me what is wrong. But that's just what I like.

I'm also a huge (not physically) dyke who does not know whether to believe in God or not. I grew up without any religious background in Eastern Germany. I find fundies fascinating.

I have waist-length hair and I am a dab hand in the kitchen, and I have a silly affection for Victorian Lit. I guarantee there is very little else about me that the fundies would approve of.

Let's see. I've had long hair for most of the last 20+ years. We use paper plates all the time, but that's because we have a newborn and are too tired and busy to do dishes very often. I'm sitting here in a zip-up vest over my shirt, a la the Maxwell ladies... though not because I'm afraid someone will look at my boobs, but because it's warm and comfortable.

Other than that, I am a big fat abomination who can't wait to hand out candy and dress her little one in a pumpkin sleeper on Halloween.

ETA that someone gave my baby a denim frumper! So she, too, has fundie cred even at her tender age.

I try to submit to my husband. Install some godly values into my girls and thrift shop ( we call it op shopping here in nz).

As I say I try these things. But I mostly fail.

I don't often wear clothes that shown my knees or shoulders. I am a very sun conscious person and I live in a country with the highest rates of skin cancer in the world. But in my defense I wear mostly 3/4 length pants, but I do have some lovely denim skirts that come to just over the knee. I also wear polos all the time as does my husband mostly because they have collars to protect my neck.

I don't like to show clevage on a day to day basis, but do have some lovely dresses for weddings, etc that may be a little lower than my normal wear.

But I would never be allowed into a fundamental church as I send my children to an evil catholic school......

I don't do a MOTH schedule, but I like the idea of planning to do things between such and such a time, with a start and end time. When things get very busy I find it comforting to plan things out. And when it's not so busy, I'm more productive when I plan things out.

I also like traditional hymns, but mine are sung in my very liberal Episcopal church.

I have fundie hair! I also sometimes go skirts only-most recently, about 6 months ago I realised I hadn't worn pants in a while. I do more often now though, but I do dress pretty modestly-if I didn't wear tshirts with fundie unapproved things on them. When I was a kid, my preferred style was like the Duggars wore in the early episodes, and I would only ever wear dresses and skirts between the age of 3 and 7. I also went through an only flip flops stage at about 12, but gave that up when it got too cold.

I also love large families :)

I am mostly a SAHM, but I do work part time in summers and on call for a health care service.. not giving up that nursing license for anybody. I mostly "submit" to my husband... if we have discussed a topic until we're at an impasse, I submit to his decision. He's "submitted" to my decisions many many times over the years.. so I owe him that. I wear pants, mostly, but skirts are mid calf or longer, because when I sit, I don't want any issues... nor do I want people to see the tops of my knee high stockings! :pink-shock:

I use real dishes. We even use real dishes camping.. so no paper plates, almost ever!

I do shop at thrift shops, usually for the fun of it.

I own and have driven regularly a 12 passenger van.. now we use it mostly to tow the camper, but for 8 years, it was the only vehicle we'd all fit into to go somewhere... now we'll use two cars.

I don't think I've worn anything strapless since I was about 15--I think strapless dresses look good on very very few people, and I've seen too many brides "hitching up" their tops during the ceremony! My skirts usually at least touch my knees. I usually cover at least part of my shoulders. but that is mainly because I don't like my bra to show! (and I don't want to be sunburned)

I wore lots of frumpers back in the late 80s--but I don't think I ever owned a denim one--and as a 70s kid I had a bunch of handmade long Little House on the Prairie/Holly Hobby type "church dresses", sometimes with matching bonnets!! :)

I coupon & love shopping a thrift stores, although I prefer higher end consignment shops. I am currently wearing a Ann Taylor Loft skirt that I got at Goodwill (It doesn't quite cover my knees though).

I have short short hair though!

my husband is my first and only kiss, love, everything else. i didn't want to do the whole date a whole bunch of people thing, so i waited until i was 19... become friends with him first and things went from there.

in warmer weather i always wear a long tank under my t-shirts and tops, and in the cooler months i wear a long sleeved shirt under my clothes. i do this so i'm not going to show my stomach or boobies.

oh, and i'm also a SAHW and all i've ever wanted was to be a SAHM.

I'll bite:

- I love me some thrift store hunting-and-gathering and bags of hand-me-down clothes;

- I don't wear clothes with logos or writings, my shoulders are mostly covered, own very few shorts but wear skinny jeans.

- I try not to have my kids enrolled in too many activities.

- as a family we love green smoothies and hikes and don't participate in organized sports, which makes us practically maxwells, other than public school, higher education, books, TV, friends, me working outside the home, birth control and being Jewish-atheists.

- just between us, I find working full time exhausting. I'll never give up doing something I love, am good at and brings decent income, but would rather do it for 20 hours a week.

- the number of partners I've had is much closer to Jill duggar than to mama June's. Another high-school sweetheart marriage here.

I try to submit to my husband. Install some godly values into my girls and thrift shop ( we call it op shopping here in nz).

As I say I try these things. But I mostly fail.

I'm asking out of honest curiosity: why make an effort to submit if it's not part of your natural dynamics? Between me and Headship he has the more dominant personality and is very hands-on on the household (but also cleans like a pro!). Major decision are made by both of us, other times he calls the shot just because Im okay with letting him deal with things, but never as a principle and not because I'm making a point of submitting.

My hubby and i both grew up on the fundie fringes, and it varied for both of us from really strict to almost normal childhoods at different times, but about the only thing we have left is sheltering our kids from over-exposure. That's so hard to let go of! Those fundie leaders (like Steve Maxwell) scare their followers so well, even the kids in the crowd get freaked out by what can happen if they don't shelter themselves from "the world". :roll:

Eventually i really would LOVE to go back to work, and have the kids in actual school and sports and classes. I don't want them to miss out.

i like wearing skirts and dresses sometimes (no jean ones, though) but not all of my dresses would fit into their modesty rules because they're sleeveless and come down further than two fingers from my collar bone (they're not immodest by my definition, just by theirs).

i'm also currently growing my hair out as long as it'll go, but i'm doing that because i've had my hair at pretty much all lengths and i just like it better long. i think it looks better. later in life, i may dread it, though. :P but it's not something i would jump into anytime soon. right now, it's not duggar-length, but it grows pretty fast so i'm hoping i'll get there soon. :dance:

i also harbor a desire to be a sahm once we have kids. i know that may not happen, so i am prepared for disappointment, but i hope to at least get into a job where i can work from home. i'd also love to homeschool our kids, as i had great experiences with it growing up, but will have to wait and see if i can. i would also be concerned about their socialization, so i'd have to make sure to get them into community activities or find a good homeschool group that isn't overly fundie.

Oh goodness, I have quite a few I suppose.

I read the Bible every day.

I currently attend a Baptist church and sing in the choir (I am Orthodox, but this church is where my girls are involved and I really enjoy it for now. Also the closest Orthodox parish is 1 hour away and we can't swing that every week).

I wear long skirts or flowy palazzos and sleeves to the elbow or longer in public.

I cover my head.

I like to listen to hymns and some contemporary Christian music (love Casting Crowns, Chris Tomlin and Kristian Stanfill).

Our kids have been educated at home.

As for everything else...not very fundie. :D

I read the bible daily

Sunday Church

Ladies' bible study group

prefer to not let the girls hang out

cook from scratch 90% of the time

BUT...I detest CCM, prefer classic rock. I cuss like the sailor's wife I am, I work full time, am pro-choice and fairly liberal politically.

I also still love Rich Mullins' music. Especially because, by all accounts, he was a genuinely kind person who wanted to share love with everyone. (Also, he was apparently asked to leave a Teen Mania event because he ordered a beer with dinner.)

I like hymns over CCM, mostly at Christmas.

I don't wear any shirts with a neckline lower than my bras (which are the 18-hour type, mostly because they're the least expensive brand/style that fit and aren't horridly uncomfortable).

I always have a shawl or cardigan (or hoodie/flannel shirt), but that's more because I'm warm-natured and prefer sleeveless shirts -- meaning it can get chilly when I'm working or in class.

I always submit to my Headship. (Which is my roommate's cat, who owns the house, people, kitten, and everything else in/associated with the house.) Except when he's demanding food at non-mealtimes, then he can chill out.

I'm also mega tired of the strapless wedding gown trend, and would probably :evil-eye: someone who wore one of those horrible sheer, corseted wedding gowns that you see on "Say Yes to the Dress" for a church wedding.

Me too, so sick of seeing that same exact thing gown after gown.

Of course I could stop watching Say Yes to the Dress.

That corset gown, oh boy. I wonder if any pastor would hand her a sweater lol.

I also still love Rich Mullins' music. Especially because, by all accounts, he was a genuinely kind person who wanted to share love with everyone. (Also, he was apparently asked to leave a Teen Mania event because he ordered a beer with dinner.)

I like hymns over CCM, mostly at Christmas.

I don't wear any shirts with a neckline lower than my bras (which are the 18-hour type, mostly because they're the least expensive brand/style that fit and aren't horridly uncomfortable).

I always have a shawl or cardigan (or hoodie/flannel shirt), but that's more because I'm warm-natured and prefer sleeveless shirts -- meaning it can get chilly when I'm working or in class.

I always submit to my Headship. (Which is my roommate's cat, who owns the house, people, kitten, and everything else in/associated with the house.) Except when he's demanding food at non-mealtimes, then he can chill out.

A friend and I saw him live in February, 1997. Prior to playing "While the Nations Rage" he talked about how politics should not define Christianity because our politicians are not seeking holiness. The concert was in a mega-church and there were amens and cheers. Then he added that that is why he wrote the song-- during the Reagan administration. About 50 people got mad and walked out. He waved and told them "bye". It was pretty awesome.

On another note, some of my co-workers at Christian school on hearing his song "Creed" were under the impression that he wrote the Apostle's Creed. They had no idea where those words were from.

I wear polo shirts a LOT. I'm pretty modest in my dress, not Gothard-level but still pretty covered up (I will admit to being a prude by nature when it comes to myself, others I won't judge). I do like tater tot casserole when it's made right. Waited until I got married... let's see... I like classical music and listen to a lot of Bach, Vivaldi, Mendelssohn, Handel. I do like thrift-store shopping, especially close to the nicer neighborhoods where I often find new stuff with the tags still on :D.

Archived