IGNORED

Things you do that are fundie-like

bluehydrangea

Admit it -- we all have a fundie quirk or two in us, intentionally or not. Do you have flowing, Gothard-approved locks? Serve meals on paper plates frequently? Prefer a man in a polo and comb-over? Know how to play the piano, harp, and violin simultaneously? Find yourself typing *smile* instead of ":)"?

My fundie quirk is that I love to watch old episodes of The Andy Griffith Show. Maybe it's because I grew up in a rural area, but there's something so comforting about it...plus, I love me some Barney Fife. Classic slapstick comedy.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might or might not have a long denim skirt that I wear on Fridays with two shirts and my hair up.

I do a lot of things that are fundie from growing up in it.... A few that come to mind are smiling at inappropriate times- it's just ingrained in me and cooking really strange casseroles, especially as it gets colder!

Admit it -- we all have a fundie quirk or two in us, intentionally or not. Do you have flowing, Gothard-approved locks? Serve meals on paper plates frequently? Prefer a man in a polo and comb-over? Know how to play the piano, harp, and violin simultaneously? Find yourself typing *smile* instead of ":)"?

My fundie quirk is that I love to watch old episodes of The Andy Griffith Show. Maybe it's because I grew up in a rural area, but there's something so comforting about it...plus, I love me some Barney Fife. Classic slapstick comedy.

Me, too! *smile* :lol: I'm old enough to have watched the later episodes when they were first aired (probably saw the earlier ones, too, I just don't remember), but I never get tired of Barney and Floyd and Howard and 'Ain't' Bee. :)

I just did a Google search for long skirts and immediately coveted this beautiful maxi-length a-line. I also frequently want Shabby Apple and Jen Clothing and wear two shirts on a regular basis.

I coupon, freezer-cook, and keep plenty of household supplies on hand. Some might even call it a stockpile.

And the worst: my iPad alarm is set to wake me up to "Place in this World".

I still respect the rules of modesty that I followed as a teen if I ever go to church. I can't help but feel having my girls out would just be an unnecessary distraction in many ways. Plus, my mom started attending a fundie light church when my stepdad moved in with her. There's a few families there that have too many children and the women cover their heads. My chachas would have no place in an environment like that.

I'm also fond of maxi skirts in the summer.

I admit my clothes are somewhat conservative, just not Steve Maxwell approved modesty. And I like watching LHOTP and the Waltons. Also I don't drink a whole lot, a homebody instead of hitting the bars,

I've realized my hair preferences are eerily similar to Gothard's. I've always liked traditional hair that is long, clean-looking, and wavy. I really don't like chunky highlights, ombre, or any of that stuff that announces "I get my hair done!" (I do dye my hair, but just a bit darker brown than my natural color).

I wear a tank top/tee shirt under nearly all of my tops because I'm so tall I don't want my stomach/back hanging out if I reach up for something.

I generally prefer longish A-line skirts, from the knee downward. I hardly drink at all. And I can't often bring myself to swear in writing, even on here.

Edited because I thought of even more. I'm freaking myself out now...

I guess one fundie-like thing I'm doing is that when I get married, I don't want a strapless dress, as I was raised with the idea that if you have a church wedding, there should be no risk of a wardrobe malfunction. Knowing me, the girls would be trying to show up at a wedding, and there's no way I would want that to happen. I also like watching LHOP and The Waltons, which I recently discovered when going through the channels.

Aside from the fact that I wear pants most of the time - I meet fundie standards of modesty. I even have a few frumpers (which I like to wear on call/when cleaning the house because of comfort and ease). I don't do this because someone told me to - I just prefer it.

Well, I do have long hair which is wavy (but naturally so).

I cook from scratch a lot and often use organic food (although I'm not quite sure how fundie that is, but some of them are really big on that).

I actually like Polo shirts on men and women, I think they can look pretty classy.

Well, I'm a SAHM, who consequently handles more of the traditionally "female" jobs like the cooking and cleaning and child rearing since hubby works so many hours. As a couple of others mentioned above I can't stand CCM but love a traditional hymn. (As long as it's done well - I'm actually a much bigger snob about the quality of music than the content.)

I'm also mega tired of the strapless wedding gown trend, and would probably :evil-eye: someone who wore one of those horrible sheer, corseted wedding gowns that you see on "Say Yes to the Dress" for a church wedding.

I serve meals on paper plates frequently. But in my defense, the house we just bought has a crap hole of a kitchen, and we're in the process of updating the plumbing, so I get hardly any water pressure, and the hot water only lasts a certain amount of time. I'm annoyed, believe me. Under normal kitchen circumstances, I don't generally use paper plates. Maybe once a month at the most.

And I do make a mean tater tot casserole :lol:

And the worst: my iPad alarm is set to wake me up to "Place in this World".

I am a liberal atheist crunchy granola mom now, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Michael W. Smith. I was 16 when that album came out, and it literally saved my life. I was on the brink of suicide, but I heard love and hope in his music, and it saved me. I listened to that song on youtube a while back, and it still makes me cry.

Also, I do make a pretty delicious tater tot casserole (recipe courtesy of The Casserole Queens :D ) and I still dress very modestly. I have Gothard hair, but by choice these days, after many years of Soccer Mom hair.

I am a liberal atheist crunchy granola mom now, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Michael W. Smith. I was 16 when that album came out, and it literally saved my life. I was on the brink of suicide, but I heard love and hope in his music, and it saved me. I listened to that song on youtube a while back, and it still makes me cry.

It is a song that seems to speak; at least, I feel like it's welcoming and gentle. It sounds like it came along at exactly the right time. Hugs, Lemonhead.

I usually dress modestly, it just makes me more comfortable and I work with kids.

I also have small stockpile in case of emergencies, make my own laundry detergent and have made tater tot casserole in the past.

I just bought a 8 year old used car to get to and from work. I do shop at thrift stores, but not for shoes cause that's just icky.

I didn't have sex until I was married, I dress pretty conservatively, and I make my own organic mayonnaise ;)

I have naturally curly hair and keep it well past the middle of my back to stretch out the curl. As a result it's Gothard approved wavy and very long. Not color treated either but it is very layered. My mom teasingly asks if I'm ever going to cut my Duggar hair. :roll:

And when the time comes, I'll be looking for a non-strapless wedding gown. Something like Jenny Packham's Dentelle. The Duchess of Cambridge wore a gorgeous teal version to an event a few years ago.

I know this is mostly a light-hearted thread, but...I find myself still deferring to DH in many matters, from where to go when we eat out to how to deal with kiddo school/social issues. Some of this is genuine cluelessness from being homeschooled and isolated, but some of it is from my indoctrination to be a submissive, always sweet spouse. It's created a lot of tension in our relationship over the years, since DH did not grow up fundie, and it's something I know the Duggars and Jeubs et al will have to deal with as well, whether they admit it or not.

I dress modestly and never refuse my future husband's sexual advances and vice versa. We seem to be in tune with each other that way. It's not submission.

ETA: I love to cook and will be a SAHW due to medical reasons. I will not be a submissive SAHW.

I have naturally curly hair and keep it well past the middle of my back to stretch out the curl. As a result it's Gothard approved wavy and very long. Not color treated either but it is very layered. My mom teasingly asks if I'm ever going to cut my Duggar hair. :roll:

And when the time comes, I'll be looking for a non-strapless wedding gown. Something like Jenny Packham's Dentelle. The Duchess of Cambridge wore a gorgeous teal version to an event a few years ago.

That dress was amazing and would be a gorgeous wedding dress.

I didn't have a strapless wedding dress. Can't stand them. They all look exactly alike to me. My choice was doubly confirmed when we went to someone else's Catholic wedding mass a couple of months after ours and watched the bride hiking up the top of her strapless dress every time she stood up during the mass---too much moving around during a wedding mass to risk a wardrobe malfunction.

I still listen to a teeny bit of CCM. Mostly Rich Mullins.

Well, I have hair almost to my waist, and I never cut it because hubby likes it long. Being raised in a traditional Southern setting, is like being a fundie. Man is the boss, has the say about money, and about major purchases, etc, etc, etc. Over the past 10 years or so, I've been evolving past that, though, and now is an almost equal partnership. My dress is jeans and tees, mostly; not always with a bra, but again, that is because hubby likes that, so I don't know if I lose points for not wearing a bra, or gain points because that is pleasing my husband. Both our families have a history of life long marriages, few divorces. As for the rest of it, Satan has hold of my soul good and tight, because I listen to evil music (contemporary chrisitian with a backbeat, or country music), and we had sex before marriage, although just with each other.

I am an ordained preacher of the Universal Life Church, which I did online when the fundie preacher of my future son in law's church spoke snottily to them about already having a baby before they tied the knot. I got ordained just in case he started some BS at the wedding. Would have stepped right out into the aisle, tied the knot for them, and told the man of God to kiss my ass on the way out.

I'm a SAHW - not because I feel it's what all women should do, but it's what works for our home right now. I always wear a tank under a top that's even slightly low-cut. It's not as high as what the Maxwell women wear but I feel more comfortable with that extra coverage. I was a virgin when we got married and try to never refuse my husband's sexual advances (I'm sure in 28 years, there has been a time or two when I've asked for a rain check).

My daughter attends a very conservative college that has lots of rules by today's standards. We are now planning her wedding and I was quite relieved when she told me she's decided a strapless wedding gown just wasn't the look for her.

Oh, and I don't drink alcohol.

Would have stepped right out into the aisle, tied the knot for them, and told the man of God to kiss my ass on the way out.

^^I love this so much. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Archived