IGNORED

Baby Dilly

Duggor

[fade][/fade]

Please tell me why in God's name Jill needs some utilitarian reason to go to Nepal. Why? People travel purely for pleasure all the time. I literally cannot believe that this girl is being criticized for travelling abroad to meet her love interest in person when the same people are always complaining about how stifled, ignorant and inexperienced the Duggars are and how fundies don't get to know their spouses well enough before they marry. Now here she is taking the opportunity to travel to a new country, experience a different culture, and meet this guy she thinks she might want to marry in the environment he's been living and working for months, and she needs a better reason? Utter bullshit!

Well, I have no issue with it from a personal standpoint, but I do agree that it is another case of the Duggars saying one thing and doing another.

If you believe that it is the man's responsibility to choose and pursue the woman (and, if they follow Gothard on this, they do), then it is Derrick's role to fly to Jill. NOT the other way around. To compare it to Josh's courtship (and other Fundie courtships), Josh made many trips to FL to visit Anna and her family, but Anna did not come out by herself to visit Josh. Michael Bates is a bit of an exception since she was travelling to stay with the family before she began to court the son and knows the family well, but after the courtship he usually comes out to her. He sends her gifts. And while I am sure she reciprocates, the focus is on him winning her. He is in the active role, she in the passive one. THAT is the courtship ideal they hold up.

Jill's courtship doesn't mesh with this ideal. SHE flew to him. SHE sent him gifts. SHE was the active one. And while I personally think that is great, it isn't what the Duggars would tell me, as a woman, to do in a relationship.

The advice the Duggars would give to me and other women, the ideals and roles and standards they would have us adhere to in a "courtship" are very different then the standards they allowed in their daughter. That's the issue.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My gut on Jill is that she's a control freak generally, not clingy per se, but maybe those are two sides of the same coin? Based purely on what I've seen I wouldn't say she's controlling or clingy with regards to Derrick specifically, though, since I think a lot of her on-air corniness with Derrick is all for show. Her feeling are genuine, I'm sure, but she clearly plays it up for the cameras.

And I don't see how her traveling to Nepal is a sign of anything except that TLC thought it would make a great episode and she and Jim Bob jumped on the opportunity. As dogmatic as these people are I think you guys take the courtship rules more literally than they do, or you're giving them too much credit for understanding the letter of laws they believe. Their rules are no different than the Bible, in that even the most plainly stated passages can be interpreted in an infinite amount of ways. But I'm still convinced that those two were officially courting before having met in person, so the trip to Nepal wasn't the "rule breaker" so many seem to think it is.

Please tell me why in God's name Jill needs some utilitarian reason to go to Nepal. Why? People travel purely for pleasure all the time. I literally cannot believe that this girl is being criticized for travelling abroad to meet her love interest in person when the same people are always complaining about how stifled, ignorant and inexperienced the Duggars are and how fundies don't get to know their spouses well enough before they marry. Now here she is taking the opportunity to travel to a new country, experience a different culture, and meet this guy she thinks she might want to marry in the environment he's been living and working for months, and she needs a better reason? Utter bullshit!

I have no problem with a young woman choosing to fly out of the country to meet, face to face, with a young man she's been communicating with for months and they both feel a strong affection and attachment to each other. Even if he was going to return in 2 months, to a hometown very close to hers.

I have a problem with the hypocrisy of a father who supposedly lived by Gothard's rules, who espouses those rules for everyone else, completely flouting those rules because the producers of a tv reality show wanted to have something interesting to film.

I have a problem with the "pick and choose" method of Gothardism that the Duggars employ.

Traveling all the way around the world to pursue a man, especially when said man is returning to your own neighborhood within 2 months time does not seem reasonable to me, particularly when you factor in Gothard's belief that men pursue women and the Duggar's mission statement of buying used and saving the difference. As a parent, I would have said that waiting the 2 months would build character...life is not about instant gratification. The Duggars came off looking like hypocrites with this decision.

Jill made a request like a 5 yo would make a request, and JB acquiesced. Both ridiculous and unreasonable, IMO

How much of the idea to go to Nepal was from a TLC producer?

Just a quick check on Priceline shows a price for one ticket from Little Rock to Nepal to be almost $2,000.00. You think JB is gonna cough up that kind of money on his own?

How many other fundies with a bus load of kids would have the $$$ to indulge a kid who wanted to go check some guy out in the next state let along around the world?

What did happen to the weekly bump pictures Jill was posting?

I can't see why the Duggars won't let their kids go to Crown college or another one of the majorly Christian schools. Josh could be the one running for office if they had let him get his degree. Why let Jill get certified to basically be a dhoula but not a real midwife? I know it is all about control for them, but I hope they see how much they are holding their kids from advancing in the real world and even in the world of fundies.

Jim Bob better start giving all the boys nice houses to live in otherwise they are going to have a hard time attracting future wives.

How much of the idea to go to Nepal was from a TLC producer?

Just a quick check on Priceline shows a price for one ticket from Little Rock to Nepal to be almost $2,000.00. You think JB is gonna cough up that kind of money on his own?

How many other fundies with a bus load of kids would have the $$$ to indulge a kid who wanted to go check some guy out in the next state let along around the world?

Does Jim Bob strike you as the kind of guy who is going to turn loose the kind of coin it takes to go someplace like Nepal?

Esp when Derick was coming home - for good - two months later and the however many months D&J had been Skyping, they just really could not wait? Jill had to fling herself halfway around the world??

Look, for most people, the opportunity to travel and experience culture - priceless. To send the Duggars - waste of money. Remember those trips abroad? My God that was so embarrassing. Asking that street entertainer if he knew Jesus.. ugh. JB's comments while being shaved in Nepal. JB and his horridly condescending and disrespectful version of Spanish-O.

But hey, the rules of courtship are for everyone else except JB gets to make his rules to suit his convenience.

Because she is a female Gothard drone.

We are not talking about the real world and the applicable rules as Jill has never lived in our world.

Jill flying to pursue Derick in Nepal was anti- Gothard standards-the standards that JB has said that the family espouses, rightly or wrongly.

Now if we were talking about a non Gothardite female, I would totally agree with your comment.

But if Derick is the one who invited her to visit him, then he still was the one who was the "lead" so to speak.

Truth is, JB and M clearly knew that Jill was going to ask that. It was a set up from the get go. I wouldn't be surprised if JB suggested to Derick to invite Jill to visit him, as a result of discussing the show with the Producers. You know there has to be some sort of a game plan between JB/M and the show's producers. They don't just wonder about aimlessly with cameras and mics hoping to catch something interesting.

The Nepal trip was planned long before Jill ever asked JB about it on the show. TLC would need to plan a crew to go with them, make the travel arrangements, hotel arrangements etc. It isn't like it is easy to just load up a TV crew on the spur of the moment. It was part of the series planning for the season.

But if Derick is the one who invited her to visit him, then he still was the one who was the "lead" so to speak.

Truth is, JB and M clearly knew that Jill was going to ask that. It was a set up from the get go. I wouldn't be surprised if JB suggested to Derick to invite Jill to visit him, as a result of discussing the show with the Producers. You know there has to be some sort of a game plan between JB/M and the show's producers. They don't just wonder about aimlessly with cameras and mics hoping to catch something interesting.

The Nepal trip was planned long before Jill ever asked JB about it on the show. TLC would need to plan a crew to go with them, make the travel arrangements, hotel arrangements etc. It isn't like it is easy to just load up a TV crew on the spur of the moment. It was part of the series planning for the season.

How long had Derick been JB's prayer partner? Maybe this whole thing was in the ideas of the producers for months. We know Michelle sits down in meetings (weekly, iirc) with the producers, surely JB does as well to plan out the season. Do the Duggars turn over their entire schedule? Do the Duggars' friends know if they're being eyed for potential show fodder? I wonder if the producers have a storyboard somewhere with a lot of the Duggar's contacts and friends, stringing together storylines, or at least, looking out for potential. What if the producers were like, wink wink, this guy who's your prayer partner could be a good hubby! Is he going on any mission trips anytime soon? Does he need funds to get there? Let's contact that country and see if we can bring a film crew! They probably keep tabs on all of the Duggars' family. They taped that lame RV trip with David & Pris's baby announcement, and suddenly David & Pris have an FB fanpage. :think:

whatever happened to the weekly baby updates?

Well, maybe they were saving it all up for tv...we got a "stay tuned for a Jill Baby update" at the end of last night's show. The update showed up in the middle of that show where parents rip their entire families away from friends, community, etcetera and take them far away, off the grid.

It was Jill n Derik dangling a string of ultrasound pictures and showing us, among others, baby Dilly sucking thumb, and Baby Dilly's penis close up, oh yay. Derik says Jill and baby are doing well.

OMG!! I want to hug and applaud you!! ITA

Does Jim Bob strike you as the kind of guy who is going to turn loose the kind of coin it takes to go someplace like Nepal?

Esp when Derick was coming home - for good - two months later and the however many months D&J had been Skyping, they just really could not wait? Jill had to fling herself halfway around the world??

Look, for most people, the opportunity to travel and experience culture - priceless. To send the Duggars - waste of money. Remember those trips abroad? My God that was so embarrassing. Asking that street entertainer if he knew Jesus.. ugh. JB's comments while being shaved in Nepal. JB and his horridly condescending and disrespectful version of Spanish-O.

But hey, the rules of courtship are for everyone else except JB gets to make his rules to suit his convenience.

OK, NOT to stick up for JB or anything, but, you must admit, most people bend rules to fit themselves no matter what religion they are. My Jewish kept kosher SIL would eat pork outside of her house. Always made me nuts!

And, yes, JB was an ass in Nepal, but I thought Jill was very respectful, tried the food, encouraged JB to try the food and was very nice to the lady in the dress shop.

Beating a dead horse...

An invitation is still not taking the lead. It would upon the man doing the courting to shoulder the expenses, do the actual traveling, etc. Pretty sure Derick didn't fund JB and Jill.

I get this ghost of an idea that TLC is driving these relationships (Dill and Benessa) but I sure as heck hope not. I really hope the relationships formed of their own accord and TLC just exploited them.

But who knows anymore? The character Jill on 19KAC is played by Jill.

Beating a dead horse...

An invitation is still not taking the lead. It would upon the man doing the courting to shoulder the expenses, do the actual traveling, etc. Pretty sure Derick didn't fund JB and Jill.

I get this ghost of an idea that TLC is driving these relationships (Dill and Benessa) but I sure as heck hope not. I really hope the relationships formed of their own accord and TLC just exploited them.

But who knows anymore? The character Jill on 19KAC is played by Jill.

i go for the exploitation deal

OK, NOT to stick up for JB or anything, but, you must admit, most people bend rules to fit themselves no matter what religion they are. My Jewish kept kosher SIL would eat pork outside of her house. Always made me nuts!

And, yes, JB was an ass in Nepal, but I thought Jill was very respectful, tried the food, encouraged JB to try the food and was very nice to the lady in the dress shop.

As an unmarried woman, Jill made no independent decisions of any importance, as in Gothard/Duggarville she is not allowed that privilege. So, beyond making the request to make the trip, Jill is innocent in this debacle.

JB's making a living off this show- he should really try harder to not appear as a hypocrite in front of his customers.

Duggarfam posted pic on instagram of Jill.

Homegirl is looking happier and less-tired than we've seen her in a while. I'm wondering how big she's going to be at 9 months though - I'm a bit worried for her at the rate she's going!

Duggarfam posted pic on instagram of Jill.

Homegirl is looking happier and less-tired than we've seen her in a while. I'm wondering how big she's going to be at 9 months though - I'm a bit worried for her at the rate she's going!

What the actual eff is girlfriend wearing in that picture?!

I have to get on instagram. Do you have to follow them to see their pictures?

Nope. You can just search for them. All of them are public.

jessaseewald

annaduggar

ben_seewald

jillmdillard

derickdillard

joshduggar

I hope so. I think my dad wore that sweater on casual Fridays at his office in 1991.

Dying laughing, jerkit. :laughing-rolling:

post-10046-14451999710441_thumb.jpg

and there's her other baby! (James?) Goodness, it's so true and so obvious who actually are those little Duggar's real mommies.

Dying laughing, jerkit. :laughing-rolling:

[attachment=0]tire tracks.JPG[/attachment]

and there's her other baby! (James?) Goodness, it's so true and so obvious who actually are those little Duggar's real mommies.

I'm in the minority here, but I think she looks really incredibly beautiful in this photo. Not just because she has such a lovely smile and looks less tired, but I think the sweater isn't that bad. The colors look really nice on her. The pattern is a bit much, but overall it isn't the worst thing she could wear.

Also, her hair looks really nice pulled up like that. And I love how she seems to spend so much time with her buddies even though she is married. It must make the transition period a bit easier for all of them.

I think she looks good, looks like a genuine smile of happiness there. James looks pretty cheery too.

The sweater ain't the greatest but she never claimed to be a fashion maven and it goes along with the rest of her grandma style.

I do really like her hair pulled up. It looks so much better like that than the frizzed mess she usually has.

How soon until Jill and Jessa start having IG pissing matches over who's husband is the best? I feel like it's already starting.

Archived