IGNORED

Jane the Virgin

Lillybee

This may well be my favorite show of the new season. It is about a young Latina woman who get accidentally artificially inseminated and now is pregnant and is still a virgin. It is based on a telanovela and it is surprisingly good.

I watched the first ep and was on the fence. I really like that the grandmother speaks Spanish and we get subtitles for it. It seemed like a pretty decent representation of a multi-generational, cross-cultural American family. But the "traditional" attitudes around religion and slut-shaming Jane's mother (my feelings about this character are a little more complicated, but I won't go into it) in the name of comedy gave me pause.

I was interested enough to keep watching, but my TV watching buddy said no.

• 1 year later...

I had to find this thread because i have just finished watching the second season (instead of studying, because, you know, i'm a terrible person) and i just don't believe it. I just can't wait a month for the next season

I recently finished season 2 as well. I am going crazy wondering what happened. If he's dead...I will be so pissed.

• 4 months later...

I made the mistake of going onto Instagram this morning where I follow a bunch of the cast. I hadn't watched the show yet. Talk about a major spoiler! Ugh. 

Finally watched it tonight. I knew it would happen sooner or later. And I can see why they did it from a storyline standpoint. But I'm still sad. I suspect I will cry a a lot next week.

• 10 months later...

I love love love this show! I just binged all that Netflix has! I think it is so smart and that the characters are complicated. Not one of them is perfect, they are all flawed.

• 4 months later...

I heard good things about this show so about a month ago I pulled it up on Netflix. I just finished the last episode they had and now cannot wait until next season.

Loved everything about it and have told other people about it. What a sweet, funny show that has also made me cry.

Archived