IGNORED

Aurora Survivor love story - creepy or romantic?

Janes Heir

Saw this on Facebook, and as much as I want to like it, a part of me feels like she doesn't have enough voice in the story and how can we really trust his word that he was fine with friendship when he was so obsessed with her. Is it just my contrarian personality saying this, or is this a good feminist instinct to distrust easy, one-sided narratives?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/26/aurora-shooting-proposal_n_5890384.html

http://maxandbonniekate.com/proposal/

It gives me a creeper vibe, just for the reason that she was so much younger when he met her and then he waited a few years before he could ask her out.

He was 21, why the waity katy? Because girls his age won't have anything to do with him?

It gives me a creeper vibe, just for the reason that she was so much younger when he met her and then he waited a few years before he could ask her out.

He was 21, why the waity katy? Because girls his age won't have anything to do with him?

Yes, I forgot to mention this part.

Well, no, I wasn't creeped out. Bonnie Kate sounds like the sort of person who is capable of standing up for herself. I'm going to take the position that she knows what she's doing and what she wants.

The guy may have idealized her at first, and the age difference is problematic when one part of the couple is under 18 and the other is 21. The age difference tends to grow less and less important the older people get, however, and this guy didn't date her until she was 18. The first time he proposed, she gave him the boot. It sounds as if a couple of years passed, and he remained a friend of the family - albeit one she kept out of the hospital room during the early stages of her recovery from the Aurora shooting. (And no, the pain of an injury like that never goes away. Not completely. It's always burning in the background, flaring up when one sets her foot wrong or even if the weather changes. The fact Bonnie Kate functions so well with it is a testament to how seriously she took rehabilitation.)

Life really is too short to pass up an opportunity to be with someone you love and who loves you. They've both decided to take the risk that it may or may not work out.

When it does work out, there isn't anything else like it.

Archived