IGNORED

Bus full of singing, traveling Evangelicals

BrownieMomma

I have never understood why there has to be a specific time to learn how to be good cook and housewife. I went to college and got married in grad school and started a career. I'll admit I wasn't the best cook when I first got married. I learned some recipes from co-workers. Then after my first child was born I had some medical complications and was forced to slow down my life. A really nice retired neighbor came over and taught me how to cook from scratch. My son would be sleeping and she would pop in once in awhile and teach me something I wanted to learn to make. Now I'll learn new baking trends with other moms. It is fun to socialize and learn (and fail) together at the latest cupcake trends.

I failed at sewing so many times. Is it wrong not to be able to thread a bobbin? When I need something altered I go pay a struggling single mom who is great at sewing. I feel good that the $10 I earned or my husband earned by having a degree can help her out. She uses her sewing funds for her kids sports and music lessons. If all her sewing clients sewed themselves she would not have the extra money. It goes further because the music teacher she pays has a husband who was disabled in a horrible accident so the money is helping again.

I just don't get why these young women in waiting can't get some other education or skills? My father practically forced me to get a teaching certificate in college. I had no intentions of becoming a teacher. It has helped me so much since I have a child with an IEP. You never know when you will use what you learn in college or life experiences. Seeing these girls wait 4,5, 6 years or more and doing basically nothing makes me both sad and angry. I have no problem with SAHM but it doesn't mean before you become one you can't have another life.

I agree! Basic household skills are something just about every adult does.

I think in the fundie-world, each minute detail is expanded, hence the mind-boggling detail of Manager's of Their Homes. So what these young women are told is essential "training" is how to obsessively keep a house clean. And added ot that the rhetoric that pristine toilets are good for the kingdom. I also think they are not allowed to see that what they're actually spending their time doing is caring for their siblings. And their parents have defined that as 'future training' for them.

I think some of the older SAHD's or girls with one or two siblings probably suffer from mild depression because they see the lie of it when they get there. It doesn't take your entire day to do "household" things unless you start to grind your own wheat, hand-sew things, etc. Which we see these girls doing.

And then if they do marry, they have children so close together that I think even basic household tasks probably do feel overwhelming. But in the end it feels like a big con - like self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm watching this now and have some thoughts:

1. What exactly is their "ministry" and "message" that they say is the reason they do it? I mean, it's definitely an unconventional lifestyle, which they acknowledge. At our state fair there was always a family of acrobats - I think they only had three kids, but obviously the family must have had a similar unconventional lifestyle - traveling, training, performing.

But it feels so fundie to cloak that in terms of ministry and calling. Essentially, they are doing the Christian family of the acrobats. They are entertainers.

2. They mention that they've never been late with payments and live a life of faith for God to provide. But they then must ask for others to help pay for basic needs? I would think that having no rent/mortgage would be pretty economical (but maybe they don't own the bus?) despite the travel costs?

3. I was so sad for those babies! Talk about over-stimulation - especially when the one was crying and some adult kept waving a book in front of the baby's face. And how are the babies supposed to learn to walk or crawl or anything on the moving bus?

4. More about "choosing joy" and "choosing happiness." It's like the fundie death knoll of personal preference and expression of emotion. I understand the idea of changing your perspective by counting your blessings and things like that. But when your whole life is a struggle to "choose happiness", you probably should consider some lifestyle changes. It doesn't have to be that way.

5. I wonder how many hours they actually spend on the road, or if they park their bus for a good amount? Otherwise, how do they get physical activity. Talk about a sedentary lifestyle if they are driving long distances every day year round.

6. Sleeping right next to the dirty clothes closet? Ew.

7. The boy who wears the tie every day, because he is in the presence of God every day. :shock: I guess he's being consistent at least. Perfect example of where rigid fundie thinking takes you - to the nth degree on everything.

8. MORE COURTSHIP. :angry-banghead: And what exactly are they worried their kids would do if they date? Bring him into the bathroom? And "the boys will be fine, but I'm worried about the girls." ?????? And they talk about "cheapening the relationship" by having any physical intimacy with someone besides a spouse. I wonder if any fundie couples ever have issues with this with widows/widowers and remarriage. Is the second marriage cheapened by the first?

9. "Fighting desperados with my Gospel gun...getting ready for the round up in the sky" I just. No words. But that youngest kid is under incredibly pressure to win over the entire audience.

10. Unsurprisingly, more narcissistic parenting dynamics: I'm so proud to have not only me and my children but my grandchildren and my daughter-in-law, who earlier they said "gave us" the twins. Oh, man.

11. Some of their singing voices are gorgeous. But the music reminded me of groups that sing at a place like Dollywood. Why not live near a place like that and be the singing family there, I wonder?

I agree! Basic household skills are something just about every adult does.

I think in the fundie-world, each minute detail is expanded, hence the mind-boggling detail of Manager's of Their Homes. So what these young women are told is essential "training" is how to obsessively keep a house clean. And added ot that the rhetoric that pristine toilets are good for the kingdom. I also think they are not allowed to see that what they're actually spending their time doing is caring for their siblings. And their parents have defined that as 'future training' for them.

I think some of the older SAHD's or girls with one or two siblings probably suffer from mild depression because they see the lie of it when they get there. It doesn't take your entire day to do "household" things unless you start to grind your own wheat, hand-sew things, etc. Which we see these girls doing.

And then if they do marry, they have children so close together that I think even basic household tasks probably do feel overwhelming. But in the end it feels like a big con - like self-fulfilling prophecy.

Thank you for this explanation. It actually does help me understand a little bit better how they can fill day after day with this "training" to be a wife and mother.

:chores-laundry: :chores-mop: :sewing: :chores-chopwood: :chores-mowlawn:

:confusion-helpsos: :confusion-helpsos: :confusion-helpsos:

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHYYYYYY?!?!?!

Why does TLC feel the need to shove strange families in our faces? Extreme families?

I miss The Learning Channel. :cry2:

This is the same family that on the preview had the little boy singing some song about being a cowboy.....isn't it? Because my husband and I about died when we saw/heard that. :shock:

This is the same family that on the preview had the little boy singing some song about being a cowboy.....isn't it? Because my husband and I about died when we saw/heard that. :shock:

Yes - and a choice selection from the song: "Fighting desperados with my Gospel gun...getting ready for the round up in the sky"

This is so sad. Their mom says they get to do lots of things, then gives the example of sitting outside, reading, and playing games. Those kids don't know what it means to have friends. I don't think they'd know how to adjust to living in an actual home.

I threw up in my mouth when the kids started spouting about instant obedience. I can't imagine being married and living in a bus with my entire family. Or be an adult child living in a bus with my family.

Also what is the Fundy commandment that says "Thou shalt only watch Andy Griffith"?

I just watched part of the pilot of Andy Griffith and within the first minute the boy is questioning and backtalking to the point that I'd get In Double Trouble! I was actually surprised fundie kids would be able to watch it.

I just watched part of the pilot of Andy Griffith and within the first minute the boy is questioning and backtalking to the point that I'd get In Double Trouble! I was actually surprised fundie kids would be able to watch it.

I know in one of the Duggar books it says they watch "carefully selected" episodes of Andy Griffith. Maybe the pilot isn't one of those selected :roll: My Grandma who was super duper into religion (though not Fundy) used to watch Andy Griffith all the time. That, Little House on the Prairie and the Waltons.

Yes - and a choice selection from the song: "Fighting desperados with my Gospel gun...getting ready for the round up in the sky"

That that kid, the one they say they trot out to "make them love him and then they love us," isn't really that cute or talented. Said by someone who is a sucker for kids and has a bad ear.

That that kid, the one they say they trot out to "make them love him and then they love us," isn't really that cute or talented. Said by someone who is a sucker for kids and has a bad ear.

I was flipping through the channels last night and caught this bit. I seriously panicked when I could not find the remote control to get him off my screen. I nearly ran out of the room when he started to do pliet squats while singing. I wish I was kidding.

I know in one of the Duggar books it says they watch "carefully selected" episodes of Andy Griffith. Maybe the pilot isn't one of those selected :roll: My Grandma who was super duper into religion (though not Fundy) used to watch Andy Griffith all the time. That, Little House on the Prairie and the Waltons.

I'm sure they are "carefully selected." On the one hand, they love it because it is is the South and there are no Black people, Andy is presumably widowed and the undisputed leader of the household with no pesky wife to bother him, there are episodes about singing in church, "Aunt Bee" performs domestic duties and, what I suspect they really like, so many episodes revolve around big city people thinking they can outwit Andy when in fact he gets over on them, because he's really smarter--so much for you!

But they have to "select" because there are episodes in which Andy thinks Opie is lying and even things about spanking him, but then he decides that Opie (who was right all along) isn't being willful, he believes what he''s saying. And Aunt Bee gets fed up with being taken advantage of and rebels and demands to be taken seriously.

And then later on, at the tail end of the series, Andy has a romantic relationship and Opie becomes a smart-mouth teen with a band.

I just think about these parents in their bus with all these kids privately reviewing endless episodes of the Andy Griffith Show to ensure their kids see only the right ones. Just hard to imagine living in that head.

Ever since I forced my husband to watch this, he periodically shouts at me in a Southern accent, "I OWN your vagina. First, your daddy owned it and then he GAVE it to me!" Ugh..... (and I'll just go out and say it---we waited until we were married to have sex and I asked for a purity ring---but it was OUR decision, not my parents. Hubby and I both have masters' degrees and we had both graduated college before getting married).

Also---I'm really concerned that those babies aren't in car seats at all. Isn't that against the law? Irregardless of whether it is safe or not.

• 3 months later...
She is really pretty. Could there be a Michelle and JD courting trip to Uganda in the future? :shock:

[attachment=0]Capture.JPG[/attachment]

Sadly for JD, that will not happen. According to her Twitter, she is getting married in April. The groom is from Colorado and is the brother of her best friend's husband.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gabriallen

Why is Andy Griffith the only approved show for these families? Are there no other show in the last 50 years.

They must leave out the episodes with the Two Fun Girls from Mt Pilot, any episodes with the Darlings, the episode about the women convicts, the episodes where Barney gets a bit frisky with Thelma Lou OR conversely talks on the phone with Juanita from the Bluebird Diner, the episodes with Otis, and, just for good measure, the "kerosene cucumber" episode.

• 1 year later...

This one needs another look.   They posted a pic of their grandchildren in a clothes dryer.   A clothes dryer!

They posted a pic today of their grandkids in a dryer.  Like we all tumble dry the young. 

Can I link it?  Or... just go look for it. 

Who are these people? Is there a blog or a a bit of a recap? 

And i know kids shouldn't play in the dryer, but doesn't everyone have a photo like that? 

15 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Who are these people? Is there a blog or a a bit of a recap? 

And i know kids shouldn't play in the dryer, but doesn't everyone have a photo like that? 

They are a large family who live full time on a bus. This even includes their married son and 3 grandsons. TLC did a one hour show about them called Home Sweet Bus. They travel the country singing at churches and it looks like they are also involved in some sort of missionary work too in Uganda. So I guess this family is a cross between the Rodrigues family and the Shraders?

https://www.facebook.com/theallenfam/?fref=ts

http://allenministries.com/

Did they sing a song from "The Sound of Music" on their show/special, and did it air yesterday? I saw a singing white family on TLC yesterday at the gym, but didn't pay very much attention. 

Edit: @Eternalbluepearl Thank you! 

Archived