IGNORED

Obamacare headbanging: health care question

Mythicwings

I have a question for medical and health care peoplebut first need to seriously vent! I would love for this to be a snarky post but am so frustrated right now!!! WHY are people continuing to blame what insurance companies do on the ACA/Obamacare? Anything douchebaggery insurance companies do as they always do is blamed on the ACA by people determined to do it - why??? I really need to understand because my sister is complaining about our mother's dr who had communication problems with another dr and my sister is like "what is happening to our medical system?" (meaning obamacare) because YEAH Obama is micromanaging the communication systems of dr offices. :angry-banghead: And how her dr joined some kind of membership group to not have to answer to the insurance companies - because of course - OBAMACARE!!! That isn't his assessment, it is my sister's and I don't understand it other than it being based on pure determined willingness to believe bullshit! I'm so fucking sick of it and about to lose it!!!

Does anyone know what this membership thing is about btw? Hereis what my sister said about the membership thing, as filtered through her perception, and I'm interested in what is really going on because it sounds like a good thing:

"That's why my doctor went into a membership practice. He doesn't make as much money, but he loves that he can spend much more time with us. We have 24/7 access to him and he will make house calls if he needs to. But he doesn't have to deal with the insurance companies trying to tell him what he has to do and what he can't do with his patients."

I don't know if this is a new thing or what, but it sounds good so I'd love to understand what it is without the filter of omg obamacare! Thanks!

It's called concierge medicine. I don't know all the ins and outs, but essentially a person or family would pay a yearly fee or retainer for which they in turn would receive enhanced care such as house calls, extra time with the doctor, and discounted rates on things like MRIs and other procedures. You would still need to have an insurance policy for catastrophic events like cancer or car accidents and other services that the retainer doesn't provide for.

It is not in place of an insurance policy, but could perhaps be seen as an upgrade.

It's called concierge medicine. I don't know all the ins and outs, but essentially a person or family would pay a yearly fee or retainer for which they in turn would receive enhanced care such as house calls, extra time with the doctor, and discounted rates on things like MRIs and other procedures. You would still need to have an insurance policy for catastrophic events like cancer or car accidents and other services that the retainer doesn't provide for.

It is not in place of an insurance policy, but could perhaps be seen as an upgrade.

There are a couple of concierge medical practices around here - one including a doctor who was my primary care for a couple of years. You still have to have insurance and they still have to deal with the insurance companies - but you have to add a whopping yearly fee on top of it and supposedly you get more time with the doc if you need an appointment. No house calls.

It's a racket IMO. It's also a way for the doc to keep from having to see those pesky low-income patients (or even middle income patients).

Gah.

Thanks so much!!! I think I'm getting it now and should have guessed, because my sister has extraordinary insurance in general. Her husband works for the federal government so I assume they are part of their health care plans. She is very sick with multiple long term conditions like chronic migraine and lupus and lymes disease, but the insurance companies never seem to kick her out (can't anymore but I think it's why she had such trouble understanding the plight of "normal" people) and paid for even exploratory stuff. And so this must be an option available to her and they are able to pay and I THINK she thinks it is an act of desperation by her dr because of the ACA.

******* TRIGGER WARNING cancer

And I just can't deal with this anymore, I really can't because she is absloutely determined to think these things and the way she brought it up yesterday was from telling us in a mass fb private message that my mother had a mammogram and there was something worrisome - then went off on a mini-rant of where is our medical system going and there is NOTHING I can say about it, and my one brother and his wife left the conversation once they saw it had veered dangerously towards talking about obamacare which made me feel horrible because I had no intention of arguing about it, I just wanted to know what the membership thing was about. And now - listen, Iknow everyone deals with things in their own ways, but - my family is like a lot of yours growing up and the duggars and you are suppose to wear God on your sleeve and there is no room for spiritual privacy, and God is constantly mentioned with EVERYTHING and now with this crisis, it is ALL about how this can be an opportunity for the grandkids to trust God, and for us to be blessed with how we can help Mom and so God and .............and I am a very private person, even growing up I was extremely uncomfortable praying allowedor even together silently or expressing any spiritual feelings but NOW if I DON'T - THIS IS NOT THE TIME!!! Except it's all they know and I don't know how to do it! So how can I be there??? This may be nothing but what if it is? My brother's kids already lost their one grandmother to breast cancer. And I feel numb in communicating because I can't be like GOD And she's my mother but she's completely withdrawn, my sister told us but she literally hasn't even appeared on fb and I don't know how to communicate because of communication issues from trauma which of course - I WANT to communicate butright now feelings are flying high and I don't know how to communicate in their God language and it gets inthe way of my own extreme upsetnedness! I had a mastectomy 3 years ago and am very well so should be able to reach out but feel frozen in placebecause of the tone I'll be expectedto have! Sorry for the meltdown just upset and don't know what todo.

Archived