IGNORED

Ken Ham of Creation Museum in trouble?

eh02

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... src=fol_fb

Looks like they're running into serious financial trouble trying to build this old testament style theme park. Shame, because what's more fun for a family vacation than the angry wrathful God of the old testament?

It seems that after qualifying for $70mil+ in state incentive money on the basis of job creation, you're (shocking!!) not allowed to require all of your employees to not only say they are Christians, but to also say they believe in the 6000 year old earth and all of the other nonsense the creation museum preaches, with some transphobia and gay-fearing pieces thrown in for fun.

Forgot where I was actually going with this, but what I meant to add: this would explain why the Duggars have been revisiting the park and instagramming photos recently. They probably got paid a lot to do it. Looks like Creation Museum attendance is way down. Bummer.

"bummer" indeed. :P i have no sympathy for someone of his ilk who can't even try to think logically in a field where that should be a given, so if he is finally forced to close up shop, then i say good riddance.

All I want for Christmas is for the Creation Museum and the FRC to shut down. :stir-pot:

Forgot where I was actually going with this, but what I meant to add: this would explain why the Duggars have been revisiting the park and instagramming photos recently. They probably got paid a lot to do it. Looks like Creation Museum attendance is way down. Bummer.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got in for free, were fed, and got a free trailer spot. Maybe a free hotel room for the parents... but paid ontop of that? Nah. And the Duggars would see it as their duty to help out a fellow Christian. With all their new additions, going to the museum could be seen as a new homeschool opportunity. Hell; if there's some way they could get money back on their taxes for it, I'm sure they would do that too!

Yep, 70 million in state incentives for "job creation" in a state where 27% of children are in poverty. Priorities, am I right?

I've always wanted to go...maybe with the possibility of shutting it's doors I can get over my aversion to giving Ken Ham my hard earned.

Brilliant paragraph in the Slate article that sums up perfectly mental inversion that makes fundies believe they are an oppressed class.

This collective conservative shrug at Ark Encounter’s discriminatory practices is as revealing as it is unsurprising. The persecution complex of conservative Christians is based upon a fever dream, a strangely aspirational fantasy that they will someday face the same kind of persecution that minority groups face on a daily basis. Actual persecution—of gay and trans people, say, or non-Christians—seems to not bother them.

Ol' Creepy Ken has already posted a response on the park development page, and it's...exactly what you'd think. He tried to pass off the tax incentive by saying the state didn't "give" them money since it's tax breaks and they won't receive it all until the park is actually open. Um, what exactly is the difference? If you paid $70 mil in taxes and then they paid you $70 mil back, that wouldn't be OK, but letting you write off the $70 mil to skip that step is fine? If I lived in Kentucky, hell yeah would I be pissed that a delusional fundie wet dream theme park got that big of a tax cut while I'd bet small businesses get nothing near the same proportion of tax cuts.

Ken Ham is seriously not right in the head. Something is off with that man. My bitterness is showing but I hope the park plans crash and burn. Maybe a Holy Land USA part 2?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/c ... theme-park

The Bakker's Heritage USA closed too...hmm. Not a great track record for the religious parks. There's still a Christian park open in Orlando though!

talk about taking welfare the tax payers supporting you is a big no no but hey if it is for something I want well thats all different. lets raise taxes to supply Ham with a hand. he is so gold and all. Hey why does god if he thinks this is so real provide the funds?

I think Ken Ham thinks he can just bully and push his way into always getting his way. I hope that this lands him in so much trouble. It would just make my day. :D

I think Ken Ham thinks he can just bully and push his way into always getting his way. I hope that this lands him in so much trouble. It would just make my day. :D

Same here!

WOW - did anyone read the article linked about Ken Ham selling junk bonds? What a sleaze.

"“Should the project be unsuccessful,†Yang notes, “AiG holds no responsibility in meeting the interest payments of these bonds and the bonds may default.†If the project falls through, in other words, investors won’t just lose their interest payments: They’ll lose their entire investment.

Even if scores of naive congregations pool their money to support the project, Ham’s uncompromisingly grandiose vision seems to be careening toward failure. The ark park is Ham’s Xanadu, an extravagant vanity project born out of boundless narcissism and ambition. And that shouldn’t surprise us one bit. Ham is as much a showman as an evangelist; he preaches a twisted gospel of willful ignorance. "

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... _park.html

The Creation Museum is destined to fail for many reasons, mainly because it only appeals to a very small percentage of the population to begin with and I don't see the attraction as something that would get a lot of repeat visitors. Also, their target audience spends very little on vacations and travel.

Even Disney and other amusement operators realize that you must have a mix of new and classic attractions to keep people coming back. Now that the initial "rush" is over, the Creation Museum will see how few people are willing to spend their time and money coming back.

I'm surprised the state travel department is actually withholding funds now.

I can't believe that asshat is fighting back, claiming it's his religious right to discriminate. Um, no. Religion doesn't exempt you from all laws. As it is, freedom of religion has gone far past where it was ever meant to go.

Bill Nye is sitting on a stack of PBS/Disney cash somewhere, cackling.

Really, how much of a market is there for a Jesus-land amusement park? I know there's one in Orlando... but at least Disney is right around the corner. Kentucky is not exactly a destination location.

Bill Nye is sitting on a stack of PBS/Disney cash somewhere, cackling.

i am imagining this in my head and it is glorious.

I'm surprised the state travel department is actually withholding funds now.

I can't believe that asshat is fighting back, claiming it's his religious right to discriminate. Um, no. Religion doesn't exempt you from all laws. As it is, freedom of religion has gone far past where it was ever meant to go.

I have to say, in this case, I absolutely agree. If they want to get tax money which is paid by everybody, they should be forced to employ everybody, not only Christian fundies with no real science education.

But I'm truly stunned they were getting tax money in frist place for this kind of ***. Why not building a fun, real science center with the cash, would create jobs too, and people would be educated instead of brainwashed.

Archived