IGNORED

School shooting in Marysville, WA (MERGE)

RosyDaisy

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/24/us/washington-school-shooting/index.html

Dear God when will this epidemic stop. I just can't even begin to describe how I feel. So far 2 kids are dead, one being the shooter. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of of all involved.

ETA: 4 wounded and 3 in critical condition.

My hometown is 10 minutes south of Marysville. I know a lot of students who went there and are familiar with the area.

The student was Jaylen Fryberg, 14 years old, popular, recently on homecoming court, active in the Tulalip Indian Community and youth group.

Supposedly got into a fight with another guy over a girlfriend and shot three girls in the face. They are in critical condition and one girl died. Another boy was shot in the jaw. The shooter committed suicide moments afterwards.

I live in Snohomish, WA and our facebook feeds are covered with prayers, good thoughts and sympathy for our community and the families (both victim and shooters) in this trying time.

If you believe in God, prayer is appreciated. If not, then good thoughts are just as appreciated.

This is 10 minutes north of my hometown of Snohomish. This is not snark related but I would appreciate prayers or good thoughts for our community of Snohomish County in Washington State.

We had the SPU shooting earlier this year and we are struggling. Please do not make this about politics or gun control. The shooter was a 14 year old boy who was active in sports and elected to homecoming court last week. He was active in the Tulalip Indian Tribe and his youth group. SUpposedly he was distraught over a fight with a girl.

He opened fire this morning and killed one student and himself. Critically injuring several.

Again, prayers or good thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/201 ... gh-school/

So sad and utterly heartbreaking. These school shootings always bring me to tears, not only for the students and staff at the schools, but for the shooter and his family.

Already been praying for this and will continue.

I thought this was another Marysville shooting, two in one day, one in Washington, one in Virginia. I'm relieved that the title of this thread is wrong.

I know the chance of being shot at school is still extremely small, but there is such a good chance of a shooting happening at any school that I'm hesitating to enroll my girls in school. I remember my high school going on lock-down (thankfully, it was a false alarm), followed by a real school shooting near me, and then Columbine, where I had friends (none of them injured, but one lost his girlfriend). Sandy Hook still gets to me the most though. Babies. A bunch of babies. I couldn't do it this year.

We're not going to get to the bottom of this violence by blaming the guns. It's mental illness, and no one wants to talk about that because it's an overwhelming problem.

I, too, live close to this town. In fact, three weeks ago, my husband and I spent an afternoon looking at houses in the area. Marysville-Pilchuk is the high school that we would have transferred my daughter to, had we decided to move there. We wanted to move there very much and were deterred only by the extra gas we knew we'd spend every month.

I'm just north of here too (Bellingham). so scary when it is close to home.

I was watching CNN today though, really wanted to text the anchor and tell him how to pronounce Tulalip though, ugh!! (FTR : Too-Lay-Lip)

I still can't believe NOTHING has come out of the Sandy Hook shootings, so ridiculous.

While I feel hugely for those affected by this latest shooting, I feel to see how this is newsworthy outside of the immediate locality. I have no idea why it is news here in New Zealand. It seems there is a shooting at an American school every other day, and if the victims wern't Western no one would give two fucks.

As long as there are gun lobbyists and idiots who believe in the right to own any firearm they like, there will be shootings. End of story.

Apparently he got the gun from his parents house because they weren't locked.. WTF... is there any gun laws or control in this country.

Apparently he got the gun from his parents house because they weren't locked.. WTF... is there any gun laws or control in this country.

Every single school shooting becomes a gun control debate. Regardless of where you stand on that issue, changes in gun laws will be irrelevant in Jaylen's case if he and his parents were living on the nearby Tulalip Reservation at the time of the shooting. Like other Native American lands the Tulalip Reservation is considered a soverign nation.

His grandfather is one of the heads of game and wildlife for the Tulalip tribe and two of his cousins were among the shooting victims. Jaylen was being raised as a hunter, just like many young men in the South are. Guns would have been availabe to him no matter what.

Early reports seem to show a kid who was not considered a danger to anyone. I sincerely doubt his parents would have given him a hunting riffle as a gift recently if they imagined for one moment he would ever be a danger to the people around him or himself.

What is more important in preventing school shootings is what is going on in the respective shooters heads, not their access to guns. What Jaylen did was beyond horrible, but if he was upset enough he could taken a knife to school, broken a bottle, strangled a kid...... the question is what drove that kind of rage and how could it have been channeled in a non-lethal way?

This boy had a strong family and a bright future. Something went horribly wrong. Thank heavens for the lunch lady who had the raw courage to pull on his arm, keeping him from shooting more students and deciding it was over by shooting himself. Everyone is hurting over this one.

Every single school shooting becomes a gun control debate. Regardless of where you stand on that issue, changes in gun laws will be irrelevant in Jaylen's case if he and his parents were living on the nearby Tulalip Reservation at the time of the shooting. Like other Native American lands the Tulalip Reservation is considered a soverign nation.

His grandfather is one of the heads of game and wildlife for the Tulalip tribe and two of his cousins were among the shooting victims. Jaylen was being raised as a hunter, just like many young men in the South are. Guns would have been availabe to him no matter what.

Early reports seem to show a kid who was not considered a danger to anyone. I sincerely doubt his parents would have given him a hunting riffle as a gift recently if they imagined for one moment he would ever be a danger to the people around him or himself.

What is more important in preventing school shootings is what is going on in the respective shooters heads, not their access to guns. What Jaylen did was beyond horrible, but if he was upset enough he could taken a knife to school, broken a bottle, strangled a kid...... the question is what drove that kind of rage and how could it have been channeled in a non-lethal way?

This boy had a strong family and a bright future. Something went horribly wrong. Thank heavens for the lunch lady who had the raw courage to pull on his arm, keeping him from shooting more students and deciding it was over by shooting himself. Everyone is hurting over this one.

I'm not trying to turn this into a gun debate I'm just sick and tired of bullshit. How many more shootings does it gave to take for something to change? How many more innocent young lives have to be taken? This could've happened at any school, my own kids school. Thank goodness it wasnt. I'm just sick and tired of people sitting back and doing nothing. Not a dressing the issue. If our government officials needs to speak on this gun issue. And I'm guessing that before thus boy did this there were signs. Nobody just decides one day that they're going to shoot up a school and kill people

I do not know if anyone has read his twitter account but he was screaming out for help for months. Sad...

And no one saw his twitter account? Friends, family? Did anyone see the signs? Did they just ignore them? It's really sad that this country doesn't take metal health seriously.

What a tragedy. The victims, the children who will be so fearful for a long time to come and the shooter who felt this was reasonable course of action. Maybe the signs were apparent, but some people just don't have the ability to interpret or recognize them.

And no one saw his twitter account? Friends, family? Did anyone see the signs? Did they just ignore them? It's really sad that this country doesn't take metal health seriously.

It's hard to say. I try to stay on top of my children's social media but there's so much out there and a lot parents are still probably not very internetz-saavy.

I wouldn't expect kids his age to recognize danger signs but you bring up a really good point. Maybe kids need to start being taught how to look for these signs and bring them to the attention of someone who can get help.

What a tragedy. The victims, the children who will be so fearful for a long time to come and the shooter who felt this was reasonable course of action. Maybe the signs were apparent, but some people just don't have the ability to interpret or recognize them.

I have not read his Twitter feed but bits of his tweets and FB posts have been in news articles about the shooting. He seemed extremely upset about a girl who apparently didn't return his feelings.

Unfortunately I have talked to entirely too many parents whose children killed themselves as teens. It is not uncommon for deeply felt emotions to push some kids over the edge. Where things get murky is what is "normal" teen angust and heartbreak while wreteched at the time most teens get past and the frequently undefinable "last straw" that pushes others to tragic and devastating actions.

It is one thing to take yourself out, quite another to take others with you.

I agree the scars run deep for the survivors of school shootings and the families left behind.

People's reactions get skewed around the circumstances in various school shootings. After Colombine several male high school students I knew thousands of miles away from where that bloodbath took place had to stop wearing trench coats because the whole nation seemed to be freaking out about the fact the Colombine shooters liked to wear trench coats. Suddenly by extention any high school males walking the cooridors in a trench coat was assumed to be a shooter(s) in the making.

Someone brought a Molotov cocktail to an area school for a change.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/201 ... to-school/

While I feel hugely for those affected by this latest shooting, I feel to see how this is newsworthy outside of the immediate locality. I have no idea why it is news here in New Zealand. It seems there is a shooting at an American school every other day, and if the victims wern't Western no one would give two fucks.

News flash: no one in the US really gives two fucks, either. School and workplace shootings are just things that happen, like car crashes.

It is one thing to take yourself out, quite another to take others with you.

Suddenly by extention any high school males walking the cooridors in a trench coat was assumed to be a shooter(s) in the making.

That is so true. Suicide is a complicated and sad matter, but it is your own life. Innocent blood is a cruel shame.

I remember the trenchcoat debacle, some schools were trying to ban them. The media hyped up the visual, it was like trenchcoats were some kind of clue into a person's psyche, or we should wonder how many guns could be hidden under that coat.

Archived