calimojo

I just saw on the Duggar blog, that Derick's dad died in his sleep while Derick was in college. I guess I didn't realize that was what happened.

Do we know the cause of death? Has that ever been stated?

With his mom, no suffering from Cancer, I guess my heart really goes out to Derick. While I think he has totally dipped himself into the Duggar Koolaid, I guess given that he lost a father, and his mom has an uncertain future, maybe the idea of this big "happy" family fills a need in him.

His loss may have also impacted his views on religion as well.

I hope that Derick is wise enough to plan his money well since perhaps the Dillard side of the family has health issues.

I think (hope) that Derick fell in love with Jill, and did what he had to do to marry her. He has a solid job and a good education, and he's still young, but not a teenage meathead like certain other Duggar suitors. I feel like he's a very conservative Christian, but still mainstream, and that hopefully after having the honeymoon baby (exactly nine and a half months after the wedding night!!!), realize how hard it is, and take their time starting the rest of their family. A couple of Anna's sisters married non-ATI and have conservative but normal lives/family sizes, right?

I didn't not how the way his father died till he talked about on the show last night. (For some reason I thought he had cancer or something). But I agree w/ the above.

With his mom, no suffering from Cancer, I guess my heart really goes out to Derick. While I think he has totally dipped himself into the Duggar Koolaid, I guess given that he lost a father, and his mom has an uncertain future, maybe the idea of this big "happy" family fills a need in him.

His loss may have also impacted his views on religion as well.

I agree completely, especially with the bolded part. This is a relatively young man who has lost a parent far before he should have. That is bound to have had a huge effect on him. The fact that his mom was battling cancer (I believe she is in remission right now) just adds to my sympathy for this guy. To have lost one parent already and then have to consider a future where the other parent may not live to see your wedding day or meet their first grandchild. . . that has to be horrific to consider. Family seems incredibly important to him and it makes sense to me that he would be drawn to a seemingly big and happy family like the Duggars.

I heard Derick talking about on his TH. It's a shame Derick couldn't further go into the story.

Derick's Dad was Pistol Pete. Derick decided to try out and didn't make it.

The next year he decided to try out again and wanted to surprise his dad, so didn't tell him.

Dad passed unexpectedly before tryouts and Derick never got to tell him.

I imagine the baby's name will be Ricky.

. . . and now scenes from "Better Off Dead" are running rampant in my head. "Ricky! Where's Monique?"

I believe his dad had a heart attack in his sleep. One of my close friend's mom had this happen to her. She was fine the night before, at one of her daughter's birthday parties, and she just never woke up the next morning.

One thing that has been bothering me, is that Derick's mom must have still be fairly ill or weak from her treatment right up to the wedding because it was mentioned that she didn't come to the rehearsal or maybe it was the shower.

Anyway, I just felt incredibly sad for Derick to think that not only would his dad not be able to be there, but also possibly not his mother, for his wedding. Then I got really angry thinking that JB, Jill and likely TLC pushed this wedding to happen fast, for their convenience and needs and didn't care that Derick might not even have his only parent there to support him.

True Derick could have spoken out, but He probably just got so caught up in as well, and maybe didn't know how to object.

I have known people who will postpone a wedding while a parent is ill, and have it later when they are recovered. I have also known people who will rush a wedding, when they are concerned that close family member is very very ill and might not live long enough to see the wedding. So they move it up so they can be there.

I just can't believe, that Sweet little Jill muffy or whatever, the girl with the servant's heart, wouldn't have been unselfish enough to say, "Lets wait a month or two, so that your mom can be a part of this."

It was said that Cathy might not make it to the wedding, too ill to leave the hospital.

The really sweet, caring, involved thing would have been to have a small ceremony in the hospital chapel, if Cathy would have been able to attend that.

Would there ever come a time that, for Jill, it's about the marriage, not the TLC or the wedding? That people other than her parents and siblings might matter just as much?

Derick probably knows it is not wise to speak out against Boob. Plus he really truly does love Jill so they may have been his main focus.

Maybe a change in date was discussed and Cathy insisted that the wedding go on as planned. It is not unusual for someone who is ill to feel guilty that the lives of those around them have been altered due to their illness. She may not have wanted to to be the cause of a "inconvenience". I would be like that. Keep things moving along and yes missing out on some events is disappointing..... but in the big scheme of life (especially since she is fighting for her own) it doesn't matter that much. She is here and alive and has much to look forward to with the upcoming birth of her grandson.

Maybe a change in date was discussed and Cathy insisted that the wedding go on as planned. It is not unusual for someone who is ill to feel guilty that the lives of those around them have been altered due to their illness. She may not have wanted to to be the cause of a "inconvenience". I would be like that. Keep things moving along and yes missing out on some events is disappointing..... but in the big scheme of life (especially since she is fighting for her own) it doesn't matter that much. She is here and alive and has much to look forward to with the upcoming birth of her grandson.

And she was at the wedding. I thought the whole "she might make it" headline from People's website was just to get clicks. I figured there were things in place where she would be part of the ceremony.

The right thing to do was to postpone the wedding. Jilly Muffin made sure HER day was not postponed.

Wait, if you have a very sick family member, dont you make sure the wedding happens as soon as possible? To insure the family member sees the wedding? Thankfully Cathy made a full recovery, but they may have not known that was going to happen. Im sure Derrick wanted his mother at his wedding, so thats why they kept the date.

Wait, if you have a very sick family member, dont you make sure the wedding happens as soon as possible? To insure the family member sees the wedding? Thankfully Cathy made a full recovery, but they may have not known that was going to happen. Im sure Derrick wanted his mother at his wedding, so thats why they kept the date.

I agree. I think the wedding happened so quickly partially to ensure Cathy would have been able to see Derrick get married. Postponing a wedding when a family member has cancer is a bit like playing russian roulette with things.

Usually people will speed up the wedding process when there is a chance a loved one may not be around too long. I think that Derick would have still married Jill even if they had prolonged the engagement and wedding process.

I could tell that he really does care for Jill, but I will definitely be interested to see how he interacts with the rest of the Duggar clan after a year or two of being around all their nuttiness.

Usually people will speed up the wedding process when there is a chance a loved one may not be around too long. I think that Derick would have still married Jill even if they had prolonged the engagement and wedding process.

I could tell that he really does care for Jill, but I will definitely be interested to see how he interacts with the rest of the Duggar clan after a year or two of being around all their nuttiness.

I think it would be very difficult for a deeply religious man to watch and process the kind of "religiousness" that the Duggars exhibit. I was raised Catholic- schools, church, all the way through university degree. had I been introduced to the Duggars brand of religion at age 23, I would have been mortified. It would have sent me running for the hills and not into a marriage. I know Cathy B and her husband were quite busy with more important elements of life in the last 9 months, but I wonder what they really think about the Duggars.

Archived