IGNORED

CM rounds up men like cattle

jerkit

OMFSM, you guys are cracking me up big time this afternoon. :lol:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OMFSM, you guys are cracking me up big time this afternoon. :lol:

cm is always good entertainment. and he's been so willing to give us material, lately. truly, a blessing from the gods. :D

This is a super weird comment from Bobby

I’ve been reading along and catching up. I don’t understand everything but that’s ok. I do my best.

Tried going to a church, but no preaching about marriage and stuff. Just Jesus and miracles and stories, mostly. My wife still goes to her own church all the time. Still acting like she’s her own boss.

This is a super weird comment from Bobby

forgive my ignorance (read: grown up fully-immersed in fundamental evangelicalism, as daughter of a sometimes-pastor) but don't churches usually talk about jesus and stuff like that? of all the churches i attended, marriage was a sometimes-topic, like many other sometimes-topics, like tithing, evangelizing, motherhood/fatherhood (for around mother's day and father's day), various character traits, and the like. i've not heard of a church that focuses on marriage for every single sermon, or even almost every sermon. it's always a variety of topics.

It just seems as if for some men, all Christianity boils down to is wives submit to your husband. You don't want to let any teaching about Jesus getting in the way.

Thank you! My extended family had a few sheep and mostly horses, but every cattleman I ever knew would have shot himself before shooting one of his prized bulls. Bulls are big money, yo.

(bolding mine for emphasis) My grandpa has a herd of registered Simmental cattle, and he would go on a rampage if anyone took a shot at one of his bulls for any reason. Heck, one bull had a bad injury in one of his feet and Pop-pop had his horses' farrier come up with a "shoe" of some kind to put on the damaged foot until it healed. Only a big freakin' idiot would shoot and kill an expensive animal because he was mad.

(Oh, CM, since you read here: how was the meat from that bull? I would think it would be tough and gamey as all get-out because of the huge amount of testosterone... that's why feedlot cattle are usually steered well before they're sent to market. But you knew that, right? Y'know, you being an expert stockman and all.)

forgive my ignorance (read: grown up fully-immersed in fundamental evangelicalism, as daughter of a sometimes-pastor) but don't churches usually talk about jesus and stuff like that? of all the churches i attended, marriage was a sometimes-topic, like many other sometimes-topics, like tithing, evangelizing, motherhood/fatherhood (for around mother's day and father's day), various character traits, and the like. i've not heard of a church that focuses on marriage for every single sermon, or even almost every sermon. it's always a variety of topics.

You're completely right. But CM has apparently convinced this reader that church/Christianity is all about marriage and patriarchy. So Bobby is confused when he goes to church and hears sermons about Jesus (which is completely the whole POINT of church lol).

I am an Episcopalian and we follow the lectionary, so our sermons are based on the readings for that week. During the 2% or whatever it is that the readings are about marriage, the sermon is about marriage.

CM is just obsessed and uses marriage as a lithmus test for orthodoxy, which is very wrong.

Alright, Ladies, this last offering seems to meet the standard criteria for a CM post:

- Mentions back strength? Check.

- Crocodile-Dundee-like powers of animal control? Check.

- Humble brag about how he COULD have a hugely successful blog if that's what he wanted, but prefers to keep it real so readership is low? Check.

- Some bizarre analogy for marriage? Check.

- Continuous exaggeration on business acumen/success (i.e. a couple goats had now become a working cattle farm in a short period of time with limited capital)? Check.

- Showing absolute zero ability to think ahead by shooting something that causes him inconvenience/doesn't bow to his biblical manliness? Check.

- No mention of wife and children helping out on his "working farm?" Check.

- Hoping to get a rise out of the non-meat-eating-hippie-liberals by gratuitously mentioning hamburger? Check.

I'm just a city slicker (thank gawd, there is no way in hell I could raise something and then eat it - no offense to the carnivores, I've just been happily vegetarian for 20 years), but aren't cattle super expensive? And don't you check to make sure no predators have gotten them more than once a year when you round them up? And, lastly, VERY limited experience with cows, but I can't help but notice they are quite large and stubborn (refusing to get off the trail in this hiking area I enjoy). Is it normal to throw a rope around their necks and lead them off, one by one??? Oh, and lastly, farming is a full-time job, right? How the hell can you do construction, blog every day, AND maintain a working farm? Like I said, city slicker and my only animal husbandry experience comes from two dogs and a childhood pet rat, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lastly, I like the idea of someone taking one for the team and posting his ramblings here, so he doesn't get page views. Is that okay with everyone?

Lastly, I like the idea of someone taking one for the team and posting his ramblings here, so he doesn't get page views. Is that okay with everyone?

i concur with this idea. after all, he obviously reads here anyway.

Or use this: http://www.donotlink.com/ (donotlink.com/p-U)

I wouldn't simply copy and paste entire entries because it is a violation of his copyright.

true, didn't think about that. the do not link thing would be cool, then.

Or use this: http://www.donotlink.com/ (donotlink.com/p-U)

I wouldn't simply copy and paste entire entries because it is a violation of his copyright.

Polecat, I feel really stupid asking this, because I had to publish a Master's thesis just over a year ago, but isn't it not considered copyright infringement if we don't profit from it and cite it properly? Sorry, I feel seriously dumb, because I cited the hell out of my thesis. Is that fair use? This is not my area of expertise, so I defer to someone who knows what they're talking about.

Polecat, I feel really stupid asking this, because I had to publish a Master's thesis just over a year ago, but isn't it not considered copyright infringement if we don't profit from it and cite it properly? Sorry, I feel seriously dumb, because I cited the hell out of my thesis. Is that fair use? This is not my area of expertise, so I defer to someone who knows what they're talking about.

Using a quote or a few lines and citing it is usually considered fair use. Copying an entire blog entry generally isn't even if one DOES cite it. There are a lot of gray areas: eff.org/issues/bloggers/legal/liability/IP

(I am not an attorney or even pretend to be an Internet attorney. But my field is intellectual property, and I have a sort of "do unto others" philosophy -- I don't want anyone "stealing" or using my work without express permission, and I wouldn't want to do it to anyone else.)

Well many of you have covered what I was going to call BS on re: management of large farm animals.

If any of you "city slickers" want to see what handling cows is really like watch a few episodes of The Incredible Dr. Pol (a show I highly recommend if you like animals regardless, but be warned it can be a bit sad as people do lose animals on occasion, which is a fact of life. It can also be a bit on the bloody side, though I have noticed on netflix they blur out the birthing "gore" if it's pretty graphic).

I'm a tad curious why we've never heard about all this amazing farm work previously and it was all about cabinetmaking and high end clients and now it's suddenly farm stuff. Maybe he thinks no one here has any farm experience so no one can call BS on his wild claims, but yeah...no.

My grandparents owned a farm, their friends owned farms and I grew up in a rural area. I remember getting carried out on my grandpas shoulders and being put in the feed trough so I couldn't get stepped on while they were feeding cows and checking them out every day, twice a day. Morning and night. I was probably 4 years old at the time.

I'm reading this thinking "Only a complete idiot would try to do this to a bull" and then I remembered who I was reading about.

Oh, and LRC, we all totally got the heifers reference. MOOO!!!

When he says his bull made "damn fine hamburger" I am positive the man has never eaten an intact adult male animal.

I'm also positive that NEVER HAPPENED. My grandfather paid thousands of dollars for our boars, I can't imagine that a good breeding bull is any less expensive. That would be some EXTREMELY expensive, quite disgusting hamburger.

And where is CM supposedly keeping the kind of herd that would justify more than one? The good folks at Ranchers.net estimate cows/bull at 25+: ranchers.net/forum/about36365.html

Bulls are expensive. I can't imagine any way CM owned even one. My neighbor growing up was a hobby farmer with about 10 cattle. He always rented a bull come that time of year.

Either CM has a small herd and killed his only bull (that he didn't need anyway) for being stubborn, wasting a TON of money or he pulls in 25-50 cattle in individually by a rope around their neck and still wasted a ton of money by killing a bull.

I'm going to call BULLSHIT on this.

First off, how many damn bulls does this man keep in his herd? Generally you have one bull for every 25-50 cows/heifer, and you purchase them specifically for their genetics. He mentions steers, so he clearly cuts the young bulls, so this would have been breeding stock. You might have to use a bit of coercion to get compliance with bulls and you have to be cautious because they are large and often aggressive animals. But unless CM is using too many steroids himself, only an idiot would shoot a valuable bull that would need to be replaced, not to mention dealt with immediately to hang/bleed it out, dress it, etc. Killing off your breeding stock in a fit of pique seems unlikely and stupid, but might be a classic CM Move.

Well, the bull wouldn't submit to his headship authority and it was either shoot it or lock it in a cabin...or was it a garden shed?

"If you don't do this, I'll lock you in the shed" has become a routine joke in my house. Because if I can't laugh about it, I'll cry.

Well y'all, today my car wouldn't submit to my headship authority. I kept shouting at it and kicking the tires, but it just wouldn't start- so I shot it. It's making a DAMN fine clothes drying rack. Cars that know their place put gas in THEMSELVES.

The scorecard reads Chrysler: 0 Evilly: over 9000.

I'm so fucking manly.

Well, I was really hoping that Robert's Q&A would keep me entertained in the dentist's waiting room today, but...

Then I thought I could read through all of them after supper, but....

Now it's almost bedtime and there are no questions on the Q&A post.

It's almost like people really don't care what he thinks about...well...anything.

The bull was probably just happy where he was . . .

sitting under the cork tree . . .

smelling the flowers . . .

CM, you bastard -- you shot FERDINAND!

Archived