IGNORED

Jessa and Bin getting married is really bothering me

AniLand

But it's voluntary. You can have a "regular" marriage in those states, too.

I truly wonder if it is 'voluntary' in all cases. NOT saying Derick is like this and that this happened to Jill, but as a general comment I could easily see an emotionally abusive partner forcing his partner to agree to a covenant marriage and the emotional blackmail (if you really loved me, you'd sign it, what, you don't think we will work out?').

There is a reason no fault divorce was introduced.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, today is the big day!

I wasn't feeling nervous about Jill and Derick. I think they will do just fine in their marriage.

But I feel really nervous (not good nervous!) about Jessa and Ben. JB sold Jessa! Just so he could have two daughters married off by the end of the year, so he wouldn't loose to Gil Bates (who has also married off daughters number 2 and 3).

Well, I guess, there is no avoiding it anymore. This will probably be the best night for Big Ben ever! His midnight chimes will be heard all over Arkansas. Jessa will have her first EVERYTHING (including pregnancy) within 1 month from now.

I don't think she will prevent pregnancies in any way. she is too deep in the cult and I think Ben doesn't even know that there are ways to prevent having babies aside from abortion and abstinence.

To sum it up: I would not like to be in Jessa's shoes today and tonight :?

Ignorance is bliss, people!

Oh Jessa. I know you're not a FJ fave, but you still deserve better than this. I'm sorry your parents beat your potential and your true personality out of you and you're being forced to plaster on a smile and pretend this is everything you ever dreamed of.

Agreed. Supposedly Mary was a virgin (yet she was married?), and even that didn't stop Dog.

I *think* that the general explanation is that Mary and Joseph were engaged when Mary got pregnant, but married by the time of the manger birth. I always preferred the argument that the Greek word is more akin to the English "maiden" than "virgin", and Mary was a young, married woman, rather than wholly sexually inexperienced, but this is definitely a minority view within Christianity and certainly not fundie-friendly.

Archived