IGNORED

Posting for some encouragement.

lilith

So I'm doing a cross stitch project for my mother. It was originally to be a Christmas present, but that's not going to happen - it will take me a few more months at this point.

It's going to end up like this:

3udygyze.jpg

Framed in three panels.

So far I have done this:

yjygutes.jpg

I'm finding it really hard to stay motivated, cause the colour and design just aren't to my taste. But that's ok, I'm making it as a gift and I know she will love it, which is why I chose this design.

I'm just getting bogged down in all the shades of orange and having to work with a colour I really don't like. I just need to push through til I can do some of the parts I'll find more satisfying - shapes and the blue shading.

So yeah, just wanted to share and try to gain more motivation. I like bigger cross stitch projects cause the end results are really satisfying, but the 50 shades of orange part of this is getting really dull.

wow, that's really ambitious!

do you have anything on in the background as you work? like tv or music or a book on tape? maybe if you have something like that, it'll help you get over the hump.

Oh push through! I think that is so very cool, if my daughter (or anyone) made something like that for me I would seriously be in awe about it.

Orange is the new Black!

wow, that's really ambitious!

do you have anything on in the background as you work? like tv or music or a book on tape? maybe if you have something like that, it'll help you get over the hump.

I do, I listen to audiobooks while i sew, which makes it a nice relaxing time

Oh push through! I think that is so very cool, if my daughter (or anyone) made something like that for me I would seriously be in awe about it.

Orange is the new Black!

Thankyou. I really want to get it done for my mother - she's made quilts for me and, while I've done small embroidery projects for her, I really want to do a big displayable one.

That is gorgeous. Just keep stitching! I always make mini-goals on big pieces. For example, I'm just going to finish ten rows of red, or this particular flower, etc. Then I take a mini-break to give my hands and eyes a rest. And I'll pick it up and try to do a row or two while I'm waiting for water to boil, talking on the (speaker) phone, those types of tasks where my hands can be free.

Did you create that design yourself?!

That is gorgeous. Just keep stitching! I always make mini-goals on big pieces. For example, I'm just going to finish ten rows of red, or this particular flower, etc. Then I take a mini-break to give my hands and eyes a rest. And I'll pick it up and try to do a row or two while I'm waiting for water to boil, talking on the (speaker) phone, those types of tasks where my hands can be free.

Did you create that design yourself?!

No, bought it online. Cross stitch kits from Hong Kong are amazingly cheap, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the thread quality.

I try to do a thread at a time (a thread that is split into three, so really three threads) before moving around a bit and deciding if I want to commit to another thread. That helps stop the separated threads from getting tangled too.

• Upvote 1

No, bought it online. Cross stitch kits from Hong Kong are amazingly cheap, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the thread quality.

I try to do a thread at a time (a thread that is split into three, so really three threads) before moving around a bit and deciding if I want to commit to another thread. That helps stop the separated threads from getting tangled too.

That's how I cross stitch, too, since I hate keeping track of the little threads. Although if the project is big enough I might wind the thread on cardboard bobbins. Can you work on another panel awhile to break it up?

• 3 months later...

I'm impressed too! You could motivate yourself by posting photo updates for us every once in a while. :)

What site did you order the cross stitch through? I love large cross stitches that take forever, because then I have fewer projects to decide what to do with after.