IGNORED

Nathan Maxwell teaches us to use our iPhones

lilith

Also, the secular tutorials wouldn't compare every app to an aspect of Maxwell theology. "The home button at the bottom of your iphone is like family bible time: you will constantly go back to it to reset. The settings screen is like sheltering your children: you use it to decide what they can and can't do on their phone. Syncing your phone with itunes is like being saved; it upgrades all your apps so they run better, just like Jesus upgrades your life."

At least, I imagine so based on how Nathan describes his computer courses here: samaritanministries.org/blog/page/15/?c

I shouldn't be surprised at the Maxwells' superficial concept of "Biblical," but I still was nonetheless. First of all, as others have pointed out, they're preaching to the choir, demonstrating a profound lack of audience awareness. Even back in my devout days, I think I would have become impatient during the interludes that amount to altar calls because, really, folks, who present hasn't heard this song and dance a million times already?

But on top of that, it sounds as though there's nothing that distinguishes the instruction itself in a substantive way from secular instruction--except for being sub-par. When I teach college-level professional/technical writing classes, I bring in scholarship that discusses the human implications of seemingly mechanistic processes. By the time students (successfully) complete the course, they are very aware that the language they use to communicate does much more that merely convey seemingly objective information, but also has consequences for their readers and for the people directly and indirectly affected by it. A few (albeit simplistic) examples--failing to include the necessary safety precautions for the installation of a tub door or a thermostat could have life-or-death consequences. How data is presented in a chart or graph can serve to minimize or highlight who is privileged or harmed by the information being reported.

I find myself in the weird spot of agreeing with the Maxwells that even technical instruction is value-laden. However, according to these reports, the Maxwells really don't substantively incorporate their values into their training courses--other than limiting access to information, of course. The Biblical part is really no more than window-dressing tacked on as prayer and Bible verses here and there.

Having been raised in Christian fundamentalism, I shouldn't find this at all surprising, but I'm still dismayed at the superficiality of it all. (Hello--that's what I left in the first place!)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. He does IT consulting.

I've stopped being surprised a long time ago over what people are willing to pay for. Since they aren't doing mentoring why bother with the live webinar? Why not just record a couple of videos and then sell access to them?

I have always wondered exactly what sort of consulting he does. I have been a technologist for 17 years and have done consulting (although now I am currently employed with a non profit working in interactive). Part of consulting is often being the revolutionary thinker, coming in from the outside and proposing things that sometimes organizations have a hard time doing as the grow to be more complex.

I think he actually just sets up networks and stuff for small businesses. Not that there is shame in that, it's a skill and work. But sometimes the Maxwellian Ego kills me.

While there's a lot to be said about what you can find for free on Google, you really need to know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. There's a lot of shit information out on the interwebs, as well as good information that's very poorly presented, and for someone who's not technologically savvy--or in the case of the target audience for Maxwell products, too sheltered--it can be difficult to know which is which. So a class like this one, which makes us roll our eyes, could in fact be very helpful. Personally, I've been using personal computers since the late 70s–-my dad used to build them from kits and we were Apple users from the get-go--and as a self-taught graphic designer, I use tech (and Google) every day. Even so, I've been a subscriber to Lynda.com for about 10 years now (and other tutorial sites as well, especially for photography) and I'm happy to pay. I know I'm getting top quality tutorials, clearly presented by experts in their respective fields and I can access the videos anytime I want. It also saves me time and in my job, time is money.

So I honestly don't have a problem with 1TonRamp in general. It's the trademark Maxwell ARROGANCE of it all that bugs me. They're not only teaching you skills, they're PROTECTING YOU FROM EVIL! And apparently, that costs extra because their classes do seem to be overpriced for what you get. Either their target audience is too sheltered to know better or comparison shop, or they're buying into the fear and figure the godly extras are worth it.

My daughter is currently enrolled in a full-stack developer bootcamp program. Three months of instruction and mentoring, 9:30 to 6:30 every day, plus extra. She'll come out of it as a junior developer with excellent earning and growth potential, especially for a woman in a STEM field. It ain't cheap, but she's going to get a great ROI. I don't think you can say the same for 1TonRamp.

ETA: Since I have access to EVERYTHING as a lynda subscriber, I checked out their iPhone tutorials and I most definitely learned things I didn't know about. Even the most tech-savvy people often don't delve deeply into what their devices or software can do, so in-depth tutorials can be very helpful and I'm sure the non-techies would benefit. Again though, with the Maxwells, it's not the WHAT it's the HOW.

I have always wondered exactly what sort of consulting he does. I have been a technologist for 17 years and have done consulting (although now I am currently employed with a non profit working in interactive). Part of consulting is often being the revolutionary thinker, coming in from the outside and proposing things that sometimes organizations have a hard time doing as the grow to be more complex.

I think he actually just sets up networks and stuff for small businesses. Not that there is shame in that, it's a skill and work. But sometimes the Maxwellian Ego kills me.

I think a lot of people use "IT consultant" as a catch all for the outside guy/girl that handles their computer systems. My guess is he works mostly with small businesses and tells them what hey need as well as setup, training, and maintenance. At least that's how the handful of small businesses I have personal knowledge about do things.

At least, I imagine so based on how Nathan describes his computer courses here: samaritanministries.org/blog/page/15/?c

I can't believe they referred to the "MELANIE and Nathan Maxwell family". The Maxwells are always so conspicuous about putting the man's name first, even being sure to always say "Dad and Mom".

Android users (I'm one of 'em!) are bad, and of the devil, and we deserve no help with them. Only iPhones are good and Godly. Thus speaketh the Maxwells. :pray:

I really love how fundies are all over Apple products.

http://fortune.com/2014/06/30/tim-cook- ... de-parade/

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/08/apple ... -gorgeous/

http://time.com/2941401/apple-tim-cook- ... francisco/

http://www.networkworld.com/article/222 ... ights.html

http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2008/1 ... ht-prop-8/

Maybe if they paid any attention to news that doesn't involve Fuckabee or Snooze, they'd realize Apple very openly supports teh ebil gayz having equal rights to marriage.

Samsung, notably, doesn't support gay rights.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140403001101

So where does Nathan get his extra special iPhone knowledge? Does he just read the instructions? Does he watch someone else's tutorial? It isn't as though he has insider knowledge.

Maybe if they paid any attention to news that doesn't involve Fuckabee or Snooze, they'd realize Apple very openly supports teh ebil gayz having equal rights to marriage.

As does Microsoft. The Maxwells, I'm sure, are just being willfully blind and would come up with some excuse why it's okay to support these companies at are so clearly against the Gospel According to Stevus. He did as much when I asked him why it was okay to endorse the Duggar TV show (JimBoob has a testimonial on the cover of one of Steve's books) when they regard TV as a cesspool of evil. Steve replied that he was only endorsing JimBoob and NOT the program. Oh yeah? Then why mention the SHOW, hmmm?

But when you read the way the maxwells present it I think it reeks of ego. Like most things about them.

Yeah, I'm never going to argue against Maxwell arrogance, just saying I know a lot of people that use the term very loosely.

Yeah, I'm never going to argue against Maxwell arrogance, just saying I know a lot of people that use the term very loosely.

Arrogance, that was the word I couldn't think of! I hate it when easy words like that slip my memory. But agreed, I can see lots of people using that loosely.

People who dust their ceiling fans after every meal, and are afraid of buttons that contrast with their clothing. :twisted:

Ok who's going to take one for the team and sign up? You could record the lecture on your iPhone and upload it to you tube.

Ok who's going to take one for the team and sign up? You could record the lecture on your iPhone and upload it to you tube.

I might. Except I hate that twenty dollars goes to the maxwells

Damn, now Steve Nathan is going to have to remove the lesson on "How to record GodlyTM things on your iPhone and upload them to youtube."

I really love how fundies are all over Apple products.

http://fortune.com/2014/06/30/tim-cook- ... de-parade/

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/08/apple ... -gorgeous/

http://time.com/2941401/apple-tim-cook- ... francisco/

http://www.networkworld.com/article/222 ... ights.html

http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2008/1 ... ht-prop-8/

Samsung, notably, doesn't support gay rights.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140403001101

Thank you! I don't understand all the apple love from the fundie crowd - apple was one of the first companies to have on-site day care and lactation rooms (for the EVIL working woman), and Steve Jobs not only dabbled in Buddhism but personally supported gay marriage. AND take one look at ANY apple advertising campaign, and you will see it all - college-attending hipsters, lesbians, non-spinster singles, couples living in sin, not to mention PAPISTS (U2 being basically the apple house band for ten years).

So, once again, we have an example of how the entire fundamentalist, patriarchal movement bends its ideology for convenience. Instead of looking at SCripture and interpreting it, they're looking to Scripture to support what they ALREADY believe.

I also can't believe anyone would pay for an iPhone if they aren't going to use all the bells and whistles. My mom has a plan ol' cell phone that is NOT a smart phone, but functions perfectly well for texting/calling and is virtually indestructible. It was also $30. What gives, rich fundie prepsters?

Thank you! I don't understand all the apple love from the fundie crowd - apple was one of the first companies to have on-site day care and lactation rooms (for the EVIL working woman), and Steve Jobs not only dabbled in Buddhism but personally supported gay marriage. AND take one look at ANY apple advertising campaign, and you will see it all - college-attending hipsters, lesbians, non-spinster singles, couples living in sin, not to mention PAPISTS (U2 being basically the apple house band for ten years).

So, once again, we have an example of how the entire fundamentalist, patriarchal movement bends its ideology for convenience. Instead of looking at SCripture and interpreting it, they're looking to Scripture to support what they ALREADY believe.

I also can't believe anyone would pay for an iPhone if they aren't going to use all the bells and whistles. My mom has a plan ol' cell phone that is NOT a smart phone, but functions perfectly well for texting/calling and is virtually indestructible. It was also $30. What gives, rich fundie prepsters?

Because the iPhone looks good on the headship's belt or waistband when they are photographed with their signature wide stance. It makes the help meets swoon.

I can't believe they are charging money to learn how to use a phone. Reeks of desperation to me. There are 3,000 sources - all free - for learning smart phones. But, the great & powerful Maxwells are gonna' charge. If you're stupid enough to pay them, you deserve what you get.

Can't you go to the Genius Bar and ask them to help you with this stuff for free? No need to even buy a book or look on the internet, talk to an actual person who knows.

Heck, you're likely to even get a guy who is wearing a t-shirt that goes up to his neck, so no defrauding.

Is that really not an option in fundie town?

The question of who buys this overpriced shit, especially when you can get it cheaper or free elsewhere, has come up before. Someone here who was raised fundie (sorry, I've forgotten who it was now) told us that when she was growing up her family would go out of their way to purchase from fellow fundies, even though they couldn't really afford the extra cost, just to support their fellow uber-Christians. Fwiw.

I really can't see how Nathan can support his family. If our daughter was married to a man who didn't have a reliable source of income (um...a REAL JOB) my husband and I would be making some noise. I guess an honorable work ethic is not part of Steve's teachings.

I always wondered the same thing!! I think a honorable work ethic is part of Steve's teaching, but I think to has to do what kind of work the person does.

Can't you go to the Genius Bar and ask them to help you with this stuff for free? No need to even buy a book or look on the internet, talk to an actual person who knows.

Yes u can, they are usually happy to help. Cause if they did not want to help u they would not be their.

Yes u can, they are usually happy to help. Cause if they did not want to help u they would not be their.

KC has an apple store, but do all towns have a Genius Bar available? (I'm an Android girl for phones and tablets and work for a Microsoft shop of software developers, so " I don't know nothin' 'bout usin' Apples"/

That said, I've gong to my phone provider (read that sprint) and had their experts show me how to use various functions, back in olden days, and they are always helpful, even if all this stuff wasn't all over the internet.

Archived