IGNORED

World Revival Church in Kansas City, MO

bluehydrangea

Does anyone have any familiarity with this church? If you Google it, the first phrase to come up is "World Revival Church Kansas City Cult", lol. They're not Duggar-style fundie -- Women wear pants and short hair, for example. But you can tell it's an extremely charismatic mega-church that has sucked a lot of people in.

Here's why I'm asking: when I was on college, an acquaintance of mine who lived in my dorm and was from my home area started posting their livestreamed sermons on Facebook, usually captioned with "You HAVE to watch this...I have never, ever seen a church so filled with the Lord's Holy Spirit!", and she posted it often. I was like, wow, that church isn't even around here and that's a weird thing for a college girl to be posting on FB. Whatever. After that school year, she disappeared. I shortly learned that her entire family had quit their jobs, quit school, and moved to Kansas City just to be a part of this church. It kind of shocked their community, I guess, because her father had a rather prominent job in the community, and one daughter stayed behind. So I'm curious to know if anyone on here has heard of it/knows anything about it.

Edited by OnceUponATime
adding tags

Ah, it won't let me read past a certain point before I have to subscribe, but I hadn't read that particular article. I did read that the church had moved from one town to another, but I didn't realize that a large portion of the congregation moved along WITH the church. Interestingly, the girl I knew was not part of the first congregation, and I have no idea how she found out about the church in the first place, because we're not even from Missouri.

Does anyone have any familiarity with this church? If you Google it, the first phrase to come up is "World Revival Church Kansas City Cult", lol. They're not Duggar-style fundie -- Women wear pants and short hair, for example. But you can tell it's an extremely charismatic mega-church that has sucked a lot of people in.

Here's why I'm asking: when I was on college, an acquaintance of mine who lived in my dorm and was from my home area started posting their livestreamed sermons on Facebook, usually captioned with "You HAVE to watch this...I have never, ever seen a church so filled with the Lord's Holy Spirit!", and she posted it often. I was like, wow, that church isn't even around here and that's a weird thing for a college girl to be posting on FB. Whatever. After that school year, she disappeared. I shortly learned that her entire family had quit their jobs, quit school, and moved to Kansas City just to be a part of this church. It kind of shocked their community, I guess, because her father had a rather prominent job in the community, and one daughter stayed behind. So I'm curious to know if anyone on here has heard of it/knows anything about it.[/quote

Wow that is what happened to a friend of mine in college she and her sister both moved down there to attend the church and I believe her sister did some kind of ministry program through them and is now a children's minister. I can't help but wonder if you and I know the same person because that's almost exactly like what happened to my friend but I don't know if her parents went with them or stayed behind.

Oh my goodness, yes, that is exactly what happened. I don't know if she's in children's ministry, but I was pretty sure she now works for them in some capacity...and she dropped out to enroll in their "ministry program"

Oh my goodness, yes, that is exactly what happened. I don't know if she's in children's ministry, but I was pretty sure she now works for them in some capacity...and she dropped out to enroll in their "ministry program"

Were the girls names Brittany or Megan by any chance?

Yup. This is so, so, so very weird, by the way!!!!!! I think we are absolutely talking about the same people.

Well that's bizarre.

The world wide web suddenly feels very small, and I'm not even a part of the coincidence at hand.

Well that's bizarre.

The world wide web suddenly feels very small, and I'm not even a part of the coincidence at hand.

Seriously! Especially when you consider that I included no specifics about when this was, or who, or where. This is a small world we live in, indeed.

• 3 months later...

Hi there! I am an escapee of that place and I know exactly which girls you are talking about and have so much info about them and that terrible place. Most people are obliviously sucked in by the love-bombing, "instant family", and promises of $, a "ministry" and being a part of saving the world. Those two girls are not so much children's ministers as they are free labor / nursery workers :( as are most people "blessed" enough to receive the "honor" of laboring for the leaders. It's a sad, sad, terrible place that covers up abuse and resembles a religious cult more than it does a church. It is also very "Jesus Campy". And yes, many of the people in that movie attend there. I went there (forced to/brainwashed) for many years until I was finally brave enough to leave. It's an abusive hyper-authoritarian charismatic church that is really just about power, control, and $. So awful. I'm so thankful I escaped!!

• Upvote 3

.worldrevivalchurch.com/new-here

Wow. Not one mention of Jesus of Nazareth. No cross imagery. Great soft-focus photo of the plump li'l pastor and his well-coiffed wife, though.

Yeah, doesn't appeal to me, but I doubt they care -- I don't have a lot of money nor do I work for free at this time of life. Poor folks who fall for this! I hope they find God in spite of this bunch.

• 3 years later...

Hi. This is really late, as the original post is a few years old.

I moved my family 600 miles a few years ago to attend World Revival Church in Kansas City. It was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. It the Church perfect? No. Are the people perfect? No. BUT, my family has been restored, my kids love Jesus and are committed to following Him, and we’ve been healed and freed from so much evil.

To the “escapee”, don’t make this out like the church or is leadership held you there against your will. Anyone is free to come and go as they please. There has never been any promise of ministry or money. That’s a lie.

Generally, when people talk about their “escape” or use that kind of language, it’s because they are the ones who had high hopes of becoming somebody in the church and seeking recognition. When they don’t get what they feel they deserve, they leave angry and spread false info, much like what Elizabeth R. Posted. If you come here like my family did, to encounter God and pursue a life of Godliness, without anterior motives (like seeking to be placed in ministry) there’s a good chance that you’ll love it, stay, and grow.

as far as the family mentioned, one of the girls and her husband have moved. The other daughter and her family still attend, as do their parents. None are on staff, and no, they did not move here with a promise of ministry or money.

I hope this helps clear things up.

• Downvote 3
  • Bless Your Heart 2

Nothing says not a cult like a bump on a years old post that ignores and invalidates others’ experiences. I’m totally convinced now. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 3

I guess, Destiny.  It’s no matter to me how you feel about it either way. I just know my experiences and thought I’d share them. If that makes the church a cult, I guess it’s a cult then. Now, please excuse me while I go find some blood to drink and an animal to mutilate with all my wives.

• Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 3
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 1

• 1 month later...

Why oh why would you defend the piece of trash Steve Gray? Who uses multi level marketing people to fund his fake ministry ventures and the way you are defending world revival then that means you are more concerned about Steve gray and his evil tactics than you are the body of Christ. 

None if the things you you said will ever get someone to change there mind and yeah when you stand before God I hope He has mercy on you because of you’re defense to the controlling cult. 

Get get out of there while you can

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

We followed a couple (William and Claire Rembis) in 2016 who were living in Lubbock, TX with their 11 kids.  CPS  took the kids for a year based on medical neglect and physical abuse.  CPS laid out very specific guidelines for the return of their children, but they  whined and whinged on social media rather than doing the hard work to get their kids back home as soon as possible.  And I'm recalling more!  She did placenta processing -- drying, powdering and encapsulating placentas for new moms. 

Details emerge in shocking child neglect case; Judge rules children to stay in CPS custody

But more to the point, I'm certain they were heavily involved with this church. While their kids were wards of the state and they were supposed to be getting their financial lives back together, they went off for a special weekend (week?) at the big church in Kansas City. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Sooo...

the church is bad because 2 parents couldn’t get their heads on straight.

got it.

Thatthirdguy,

spoken by someone who was probably in it waaaay to deep or has no idea what you’re talking about.

if you have facts, please share.

• Downvote 3
  • Bless Your Heart 1

2 hours ago, Howl said:

We followed a couple (William and Claire Rembis) in 2016 who were living in Lubbock, TX with their 11 kids.  CPS  took the kids for a year based on medical neglect and physical abuse.  CPS laid out very specific guidelines for the return of their children, but they  whined and whinged on social media rather than doing the hard work to get their kids back home as soon as possible.  And I'm recalling more!  She did placenta processing -- drying, powdering and encapsulating placentas for new moms. 

Details emerge in shocking child neglect case; Judge rules children to stay in CPS custody

But more to the point, I'm certain they were heavily involved with this church. While their kids were wards of the state and they were supposed to be getting their financial lives back together, they went off for a special weekend (week?) at the big church in Kansas City. 

I believe they have their kids back now but I haven’t heard about them since. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Sooo...

the church is bad because 2 parents couldn’t get their heads on straight.

got it.

Thatthirdguy,

spoken by someone who was probably in it waaaay to deep or has no idea what you’re talking about.

if you have facts, please share.

I know more than you will ever know because you are still defending the Steve Gray cult and probably attending there and wasting your life following a cult!

• Upvote 2

Please enlighten me. Otherwise you’re just another intolerant, bigoted voice mocking something you disagree with. If you’re going to come with facts, come. If not, thanks for the empty rhetoric, but I have a cult to follow.

• Move Along 2
  • Downvote 5