IGNORED

Is Josiah quietly swept under the rug?

isarhenne

Josiah spent a good part of 2014 und maybe 2013 in ALERT camp. And on the show we hardly ever see or hear anything from him. The last time we really saw him on the show was the episode about his graduation which was filmed in summer 2013 (is that right?)

I think that either the Duggars are keeping him out of the spotlight on purpose to fix him from whatever they think is wrong with him (poor Josiah), OR he is quietly but steadily distancing himself from his family .

Josiah might be the first of the family to distance himself a little bit, quietly but knowing full well why and how.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duggar version of shunning, I imagine.

I am sure Josiah is out of sight because Jim Bob wants it that way, not because Josiah does.

I've heard (through these forums) that Josiah has been at ALERT for a year. I'm not sure how accurate that is, since I don't remember when he went in there. But my question is... how long do people usually stay? Is a year typical?

And my next thought is, if he has been there for that long, that would explain why we haven't seen him. I wonder when he's getting out, and if we will see more of him when that happens.

Duggar version of shunning, I imagine.

I am sure Josiah is out of sight because Jim Bob wants it that way, not because Josiah does.

I agree with this. Joseph went to Alert and was only there 9 weeks and I think he went on his on volition. I think JB sent Josiah for re-education purposes and that's why he's been gone so long.

Side note: I know many of us agree, but I truly wish I could whisk Josiah away and show him his life could be so much better than he's allowed. He's genuinely such a good kid and doesn't deserve the way he's being treated.

i think he's definitely at alert for re-education. a year just seems like a really really long period of time for a kid to voluntarily be at a place like that. i think they're hoping to just break him through this. part of me is hopeful that he won't and that he's strong enough to withstand it, since he's still gone after so long. but with each day that he's there in that environment, the chance he'll crack and give in increases. i feel so bad for this kid.

Is Josiah the only one we know of who's been to Alert?

off the top of my head, i know josh and joseph have been. i'm not sure about the rest.

Interesting read about the Alert Academy...Especially this little gem: The Basic Training environment is very effective in revealing resistant attitudes and rebellion in young men. Responsiveness is ALERT’s byword, and as an ALERT Responder, a good employee, or a faithful son, the recruit must demonstrate the qualities of dependability, diligence, and thoroughness. Meaningful projects allow men to develop these qualities along with punctuality and accountability, to achieve a mature level of responsiveness.

http://armstrongismlibrary.blogspot.com ... ademy.html

It reminds me of all that time Jana spent at Journey to the Heart. I think a pattern is emerging.

Interesting read about the Alert Academy...Especially this little gem: The Basic Training environment is very effective in revealing resistant attitudes and rebellion in young men. Responsiveness is ALERT’s byword, and as an ALERT Responder, a good employee, or a faithful son, the recruit must demonstrate the qualities of dependability, diligence, and thoroughness. Meaningful projects allow men to develop these qualities along with punctuality and accountability, to achieve a mature level of responsiveness.

http://armstrongismlibrary.blogspot.com ... ademy.html

Sounds perfect for Jim Boob.

Sounds perfect for Jim Boob.

Lord knows the Duggars are never on time, so hopefully Josiah will learn to ditch the ignorant "Duggar Time"!

I can't even begin to imagine what's led to Josiah being at ALERT for so long, but I firmly believe we won't be seeing any more of him on the show until he's courting or even already engaged. For whatever reason, they seem to be keeping him far away from the show and you know with the Duggars that must be very intentional.

Give it two years or so and I bet he'll be married off. Even if JD, Joseph and Jana are all still single I think he'll be top priority. he clearly doesn't meet Jim Bob's standard of what a good ol' masculine fundie man-leader should be...can you imagine Josh having been at ALERT for over a year?! Working out and living military style? That would have been a sight to see...

Is Josiah the only one we know of who's been to Alert?

All Duggar boys join the alert program starting at eight so going to the camps and activities is expected.

The situation with Josiah is indeed puzzling. He has been at Alert for most of the year. Joseph only went for the 6 week basic training; Josiah has gone back multiple times for more "advanced" or specialty training. The show has not addressed this, nor has Josiah's absence been explained and the few times he's been on camera he's been marginalized.

There is a chance that this is Josiah's choice. He doesn't have many career options and this is a way to get out of the house. He lives in a dorm with his brothers at home; why not live in a dorm with boys his own age?

But endless Alert does not sound like fun, especially for a somewhat undersized boy who, when younger, expressed a dislike of physical labor.

I think it's possible - if not probable - that he has no choice in the matter. Maybe Jim Bob has either decided he's too mouthy or too lazy or has too much of a questioning spirit. Let's face it, one kid had to be the first to actually rebel in some fashion and Josiah has been the odds-on favorite of many of us. Boob may be trying to keep things under wraps while the show is still on, and the endless focus on the departing daughters and their intendeds is probably helping quite a bit.

I don't think Josiah will be married off, partly because I don't think he'll play along and partly because Jim Bob may not trust him even if he's willing. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I think he'll gradually break away over the next few years. The book? That will come later. :)

All Duggar boys join the alert program starting at eight so going to the camps and activities is expected.

Only Joseph has been confirmed to have gone to the overnight "basic training" camp. Recall Michelle's faux weeping over one of her children being so far away for so long. And who can forget Jinger carrying on like a WWII bride when she saw Joseph for the first time after 6 weeks. Rumor is Josh attended, but there is no evidence beside photos of a shaved head. I don't think John David went.

I read about Alert and the various programs, of which there are quite a few. The one I believe Josiah is in cost over $ 10,000.00 and lasts for 32 weeks. No one under 17 can attend and the family must supply all the equipment required, personal hygiene products, and all clothes. Alert provides 1 uniform and the family pays for all others. This place is not cheap and I don't understand how poor fundies can afford to attend. I don't have instagram, but someone on another site saw pics of Josiah with the Bate's family a short time ago.

Obviously from my user name you can tell Josiah is my favorite. It's troubling to think he's been there for so long. He's just always been scrawnier than his older brothers and not all that interested in the kind of work JD and Joseph are. Boob probably hates that. Josiah would be one for an office or lab Job and Boob probably doesn't think he's good enough.

And Jinger acting like a WWII bride? Did I miss something, what episode was this?

I read about Alert and the various programs, of which there are quite a few. The one I believe Josiah is in cost over $ 10,000.00 and lasts for 32 weeks. No one under 17 can attend and the family must supply all the equipment required, personal hygiene products, and all clothes. Alert provides 1 uniform and the family pays for all others. This place is not cheap and I don't understand how poor fundies can afford to attend. I don't have instagram, but someone on another site saw pics of Josiah with the Bate's family a short time ago.

The Duggars are not poor! Even though they'd like us to think so!

But I couldn't imagine the Bates' having that kind of money, unless Lawson provided it?

I wish someone could actually get a message to Josiah, tell him about all the support he would have if he broke away.

Apparently he goes to Walmart - someone could catch him there?

*Wishful thinking on my part* :wink-penguin:

Can Michelle and JB force their kids to attend reprogramming camp? And I hope Josiah has a ton of resentment towards his parents for putting him through this bullshit.

Archived