IGNORED

Does fundie listen to Bach ?

Marianne

All on the title (please, correct it if there is a mistake, I'm not sure of the grammar)

The IFB churches say that they are old-fashioned, but they don't seem to sing or listen to classical music ? I think about Bach, because with a little of work, it's music for the heaven, and some part can be easy to sing for a little chorus. The same with Mozart, Britten, etc... Why ? Because it's not in english ? Because it's too old ?

(But I'm happy. They don't deserve Bach.)

Some very strict Mennonites and Amish don't allow instrumental music. A friend's mom had to ask for special permission to keep her Handel music when they joined a Mennonite church. They did NOT approve of Tchaikovsky. For that church, it really depended on the musician's life story. It's tragic that some fundie kids are denied so much beauty.

Not knowing much about ATI, I'd guess that their version of fundie-ism does allow most classical music, because of their emphasis on kids learning to play instruments. They probably don't allow the Trans-Siberian Orchestra though :lol:

Some very strict Mennonites and Amish don't allow instrumental music. A friend's mom had to ask for special permission to keep her Handel music when they joined a Mennonite church. They did NOT approve of Tchaikovsky. For that church, it really depended on the musician's life story. It's tragic that some fundie kids are denied so much beauty.

Not knowing much about ATI, I'd guess that their version of fundie-ism does allow most classical music, because of their emphasis on kids learning to play instruments. They probably don't allow the Trans-Siberian Orchestra though :lol:

Luckily, the Duggars aren´t educated enough to know about Mozart´s life story. They wouldn´t be allowed to screech his works on their violins otherwise. :lol:

Once, a pastor said in his sermon that classical music was of satan. Even though this happened on a seventh day Adventist church by an SDA pastor, most seventh day Adventists have no problem wih classical music and were very surprised to hear that this pastor did.

After some googling, I discovered that yes, a small minority believe classical music is of the devil. Please don't ask me why because I have no fickin clue.

I wonder if Jim Bob know what latin is. He would think it's spanish ("Oooh, we're singing an old spanish song, it's called "Kyrie, Gloria, Credo and Agnus dei" !")

Well, Bach had the perfect life - believed in God, lot of children. But Mozart... :lol: Vivaldi or Pergolese are too catholic, I guess ? And what about Britten ?

Michelle Duggar has said she likes her children to play classical music. It makes me laugh because Mozart and Haydn were the rock music of their day. Not sure why current Christian Rock is bad but all music over say 200 years old is fine.

Michelle Duggar has said she likes her children to play classical music. It makes me laugh because Mozart and Haydn were the rock music of their day. Not sure why current Christian Rock is bad but all music over say 200 years old is fine.

Time for some Falco! :lol:

[bBvideo 560,340:1qflj5o3]

[/bBvideo]

Calvinists tend to love him. The crowd I grew up in had practically converted him away from filthy Lutheranism and were sure he'd be waiting for them in heaven (Lutherans were far too close to the Babylon that is the Catholic Church and we're generally believed to be destined for the hot place.)

Former ifb here, and we listened to classical all the time. It was the only "non-hymn" music we were allowed to listen to. My sister once got some Hooked on Classics tapes (I'm old!) and wow, we LOVED those even more. I'm still a little shocked my parents let her keep them, lol.

Former ifb here, and we listened to classical all the time. It was the only "non-hymn" music we were allowed to listen to. My sister once got some Hooked on Classics tapes (I'm old!) and wow, we LOVED those even more. I'm still a little shocked my parents let her keep them, lol.

yeah, i think it depends on the individual churchs/congregations, because as conservative as we were (i had to BEG my parents to let ME BUY with my own money a steven curtis chapman cassette, and this was after their big period of fundyism had died out) classical music was always embraced, even encouraged.

The Duggars often mention that they like "classical" music. I would bet good money, though, that none of them have the faintest idea of any of the composer's life stories, and they probably couldn't spell Amadeus if you held a gun to their head.

Christmastime performances of the The Messiah (sometimes part sing-alone) are a fixture in many large US churches--even Baptist ones--and I've always wondered if any Duggar has ever attended one.

As it has been mentioned before, Bach was a very devout man who played the organ for several different churches, aaaaand he had thirteen kids. Why wouldn't the fundies love his stuff? :P

(As an aside, I love baroque music and Bach in particular.)

I wonder if Jim Bob know what latin is. He would think it's spanish ("Oooh, we're singing an old spanish song, it's called "Kyrie, Gloria, Credo and Agnus dei" !")

Well, Bach had the perfect life - believed in God, lot of children. But Mozart... :lol: Vivaldi or Pergolese are too catholic, I guess ? And what about Britten ?

Benjamin Britten isn't well known in the US as far as I can tell. I rarely meet an American who has heard of him unless they are a musician, so the average US Fundie has probably never heard him. And he was gay.

Fundies probably wouldn't like him anyway. Although a lot of his work draws on Christian themes, it's not the right kind of Christian. Most of the operas would be too highbrow. The Spring Symphony; pagan songs. The War Requiem? Absolutely not, because of the Latin, Wilfred Owen, and pacifist message. I suppose they might like Noye's Fludde, but there is all that medieval English to get past, and there's (oh the horror) dancing in it. The Dove from a 1969 school performance takes a curtsy.:)

Off topic, but I wonder what Fundies think of Lloyd Webber? The heresies of Superstar aside, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is probably way too funny for the Duggars.

Also former IFBx. Classical was fine. Even most movie soundtracks passed. At least until the soundtrack to The Lion King. . . :violin:

Also former IFBx. Classical was fine. Even most movie soundtracks passed. At least until the soundtrack to The Lion King. . . :violin:

Oh, yes! I'd forgotten about soundtracks. We had Fiddler on the Roof, The Sound of Music, The Music Man and some others. My husband is a huge fan of musicals and theater, and I love impressing him by knowing all the lyrics. :P

oh yeah, my parents didn't like the lion king. they also didn't like tarzan because of the phrase "son of man" in one of the songs.

Benjamin Britten isn't well known in the US as far as I can tell. I rarely meet an American who has heard of him unless they are a musician, so the average US Fundie has probably never heard him. And he was gay.

I was in the high school band ( :ew: ) in the US and even though we exclusively played classical music (beside football games and even then halfway through the season we'd play our field show) I never heard Britten. I actually heard his work once I saw the film Moonrise Kingdom. 'Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra' is one of my favorite pieces of music. The Duggars could have used it to learn more about instruments,

And this may be bias because I really loved playing the bassoon/woodwinds, but why do the Duggars only play violin/piano? There's enough people for a small orchestra!

Run-of-the-mill religious conservatives like classical music for the same reason they revere the King James Bible: such things are "classy-sounding" and seem decorous and non-sexy. They pay a great deal of attention to outward appearances and very little to essential content.

We know that the music from Jurassic park was OK with Vision Forum.

"I need more cellos!"

Agree with those who have said they think fundies believe classical music lends "class" to their SOTDRT, yet have little to no idea about the lives many composers led.

Steven and Rebecca (formerly Serven) Loomis are big into music, and have made it their personal business to rewrite hymns. Shortly after they married, they blog-posted something positive about Aaron Copland's music, but added a stern caution to be careful teaching the chilluns about him, because he "did not lead a Christ-honoring life." (Big hint: Copland was a Jew.) :angry-banghead:

I was in the high school band ( :ew: ) in the US and even though we exclusively played classical music (beside football games and even then halfway through the season we'd play our field show) I never heard Britten. I actually heard his work once I saw the film Moonrise Kingdom. 'Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra' is one of my favorite pieces of music. The Duggars could have used it to learn more about instruments,

And this may be bias because I really loved playing the bassoon/woodwinds, but why do the Duggars only play violin/piano? There's enough people for a small orchestra!

As a trumpetist, I can't agree more ! It's like Amy Chua and "They could choose between piano and violin..." :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Britten is a splendid composer. I loved her when I was young because he treated the voice as a real instrument. Owen Wingrave is played near my town this year ! He is little known in France as well, and he deserves more !

Oh, some movie soundtrack passed... ? I'm dreaming of an IFB church playing some Joe Hisaishi (the composer of Miyazaki)

Agree with those who have said they think fundies believe classical music lends "class" to their SOTDRT, yet have little to no idea about the lives many composers led.

Steven and Rebecca (formerly Serven) Loomis are big into music, and have made it their personal business to rewrite hymns. Shortly after they married, they blog-posted something positive about Aaron Copland's music, but added a stern caution to be careful teaching the chilluns about him, because he "did not lead a Christ-honoring life." (Big hint: Copland was a Jew.) :angry-banghead:

As a fundie, I have never understood this mentality.....you couldn't teach your children much about history if you only taught them about men and women who were " Christ honoring". We listen to all types of music. We do composer studies, as well, and I'm not at all worried they'll be corrupted by the composers' wily ways, lol.

Also, I have never heard of Benjamin Britten. My husband is a classical fanatic so I'm sure he has. Now I have to look him up :-)

As a fundie, I have never understood this mentality.....you couldn't teach your children much about history if you only taught them about men and women who were " Christ honoring". We listen to all types of music. We do composer studies, as well, and I'm not at all worried they'll be corrupted by the composers' wily ways, lol.

Also, I have never heard of Benjamin Britten. My husband is a classical fanatic so I'm sure he has. Now I have to look him up :-)

Let's begins with this :

, and then, look "a christmas carols" "songs from a friday afternoon" "A young person guide to the orchestra", etc... =)

I'm not sure most of the fundie whant to teach their children much about history...

Calvinists tend to love him. The crowd I grew up in had practically converted him away from filthy Lutheranism and were sure he'd be waiting for them in heaven (Lutherans were far too close to the Babylon that is the Catholic Church and we're generally believed to be destined for the hot place.)

This does not surprise me at all.

(1) If I had to limit myself to one composer's works on my desert island, it'd be Bach, and I would lose my eyesight before I'd get bored studying it. And if Calvinists were to agree with Luther on one thing, I think it would be that the devil shouldn't have all the best tunes!

(2) JSB set hymn tunes in 4-part harmony-- interesting enough to keep a choir entertained, but easy enough for a congregation with some music-reading abilities to puzzle out. The only way I can see a Calvinist balking at Bach (heh) is if he or she is of the "Sing Psalms and Only Psalms" persuasion.

(3) Because of their 4-part harmony, a congregation can sing Bach chorales without accompaniment, handy if you are in one of those Calvinist congregations that believes instruments do not belong in Christian worship.

(4) Sure, JSB's cantatas use "uninspired" devotional poetry, and he did write that crypto-Catholic Mass ( :shhh: ), but both Passions are largely assembled of scripture quotations.

(5) He signed his work Soli Deo Gloria, which is clearly an announcement of his Reform bona fides.

Luckily, the Duggars aren´t educated enough to know about Mozart´s life story. They wouldn´t be allowed to screech his works on their violins otherwise. :lol:

I'm just going to leave this right here ... youtube.com/watch?v=qFbaBAIO_2M

Archived