IGNORED

Are the Duggar daughters vain? surely, Yes!

whitegirl22

gIRLHAIR.jpg

With all the attention focused on their faces, hair etc. and the amounts of time and products they use, fake tanners included, they must be great friends with their mirrors.

Somehow all the emphasis on hair and makeup doesn't really quite jibe with the whole modesty thing but hey, the rules are really just made up anyway (by Gothard, in this case) so interpret them and use them as you like.

I think it's expected of them to be perfectly turned out all the time. The whole Gothard-approved look and all.

I think it's expected of them to be perfectly turned out all the time. The whole Gothard-approved look and all.

Do they not see it is also a testament to how much free time they have?

Diehard Christians are supposed to be hard workers - too busy working to pay attention to things like hair and nails and makeup.

Diehard Christians are supposed to be hard workers - too busy working to pay attention to things like hair and nails and makeup.

THIS!!! QFT!

Although Jana works hard!

gIRLHAIR.jpg

With all the attention focused on their faces, hair etc. and the amounts of time and products they use, fake tanners included, they must be great friends with their mirrors.

Jessa and Jinger went just a wee bit overboard on the fake tanner. :pink-shock:

Do they not see it is also a testament to how much free time they have?

re: the bolded--I sure see it that way! I get up at 5 am in order to get to work by 7 (the 2-hour timespan includes feeding 12 pets/urban livestock and a commute), and I regularly show up with a damp, straight pony tail because I don't have enough time for the curling iron and blow dryer. I'd love to be able to do my hair the way the hip, urban coworkers do, but there simply isn't enough time on weekdays.....

The higher the hair, the closer to God, y'all. And the spiral curls get the God in ya, good.

This picture just reminds me that I do not find Jessa to be the great beauty of the family. Jana and Jill are prettier than her in this picture. Jinger only loses because of her smile. Jinger is much prettier.

Whoah, Jana's hair is especially tall in that picture...

I think it's interesting that they wear so much make-up and have perfect hair. Most ultra conservatives I grew up around, i.e. Amish, Mennonites, Pentecostals, believe in no make-up at all, because that's how "God made them". But I always see Mennonite and Amish girls with their eyebrows waxed, or a fake tan, and Pentecostals make up for the lack of make-up with elaborate updos. So I know the desire to look good is there, but I think it's funny how the Duggars argue that it's all about drawing attention to their "countenances" which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard...

A big fat HELL yes for Jessa

Definitely agree with this! I don't think this is so much true for Jana and Jill. Sure they want to look good, but I don't think it consumes them like it does Jessa and Jinger (to a lesser degree). As other members have mentioned, vanity seems to go against Gothard's character qualities...and isn't it one of the 7 deadly sins?!

Yes, a little vain. They truly see themselves as celebrities and care way too much about their appearances. Look at their mother though! Michelle got Invisalign in her 40s, is wearing fake tanner all of the time, and is sporting a pink Coach purse. I don't think they realize how much they've changed. I kind of miss the old Duggars.

Yes, a little vain. They truly see themselves as celebrities and care way too much about their appearances. Look at their mother though! Michelle got Invisalign in her 40s, is wearing fake tanner all of the time, and is sporting a pink Coach purse. I don't think they realize how much they've changed. I kind of miss the old Duggars.

i wonder...if the duggars of the past saw the duggars now, how would they feel? would they be put off by their looks and attitudes, or would they anticipate that stage of life for themselves?

if the latter, i can totally hear michelle saying to herself..."damn, so many kids, but at least i get a coach purse at the end!"

I kind of miss the old Duggars.

Me too. But at least with more exposure to "wordly" things, the kids have more of a chance/reason to escape!

Their hair is all huge and boufant-y in this photo.

The hair has definitely been photoshopped in this pic to look even bigger, I'm not sure why. If you look closely you can see where it's been done, and in the professional shots from this same photo shoot their hair isn't that big.

Guys, this thread is making me crazy nervous. I'm getting my first spray tan tomorrow because I'm in a wedding this weekend...I don't want to come out looking like a J'loompa!

Agreeing with you...to some degree. I wouldn't call orthodontia simply "caring about appearance". Taking care of your teeth is crucial to keep the 'real deal' for as long as possible. If I could afford it, I'd get Invisalign in a heartbeat. I have so much trouble with the posture of my teeth(cleaning the interspaces properly is pretty painful even with the smallest of brushes and floss :sick: ) and jaw and I think Invisalign really could fix it. Yet, I don't think it makes me "look better". I always liked the Duggars for taking dental care seriously and providing their kids with proper orthodontia at the right time. If your teeth are still in good shape it's not too late to take proper care of them. Kinda applaud Michelle for doing that(the reason for her to have her teeth done so late is likely that they simply didn't have the money before TLC came along and Michelle was in her 40s at the time).

The other parts about Michelle....ITA.

Agreeing with you...to some degree. I wouldn't call orthodontia simply "caring about appearance". Taking care of your teeth is crucial to keep the 'real deal' for as long as possible. If I could afford it, I'd get Invisalign in a heartbeat. I have so much trouble with the posture of my teeth(cleaning the interspaces properly is pretty painful even with the smallest of brushes and floss :sick: ) and jaw and I think Invisalign really could fix it. Yet, I don't think it makes me "look better". I always liked the Duggars for taking dental care seriously and providing their kids with proper orthodontia at the right time. If your teeth are still in good shape it's not too late to take proper care of them. Kinda applaud Michelle for doing that(the reason for her to have her teeth done so late is likely that they simply didn't have the money before TLC came along and Michelle was in her 40s at the time).

The other parts about Michelle....ITA.

Agree to all of this although I've seen the video where Michelle tells JB she needs the Invisalign because she can't get the floss between her teeth. Bull crap. She said she had them as a teen so it seems like a cosmetic thing to me. Maybe all of that weird fake smiling she does jacked up her teeth--who knows?

In full disclosure, I am almost 35 and am in my 2nd month of Invisalign! My dentist said if I don't fix my overbite I'll need 6-8 crowns in the next fifteen years or so due to cracks in my teeth. Yikes!! My parents flat out couldn't afford braces so finally having straight, non cracked teeth will be nice. I can barely afford the monthly payments and wouldn't get them just so my teeth looked better on my reality show. Lol

There's something about Jana and Joy that just screams Natural Beauty to me. They don't overuse make up or tanner from what I've seen. I can appreciate a girl like that. :)

Guys, this thread is making me crazy nervous. I'm getting my first spray tan tomorrow because I'm in a wedding this weekend...I don't want to come out looking like a J'loompa!

You'll be getting yours done by a professional, so you'll be fine. :)

Agree to all of this although I've seen the video where Michelle tells JB she needs the Invisalign because she can't get the floss between her teeth. Bull crap. She said she had them as a teen so it seems like a cosmetic thing to me. Maybe all of that weird fake smiling she does jacked up her teeth--who knows?

In full disclosure, I am almost 35 and am in my 2nd month of Invisalign! My dentist said if I don't fix my overbite I'll need 6-8 crowns in the next fifteen years or so due to cracks in my teeth. Yikes!! My parents flat out couldn't afford braces so finally having straight, non cracked teeth will be nice. I can barely afford the monthly payments and wouldn't get them just so my teeth looked better on my reality show. Lol

There's something about Jana and Joy that just screams Natural Beauty to me. They don't overuse make up or tanner from what I've seen. I can appreciate a girl like that. :)

I am nearly 30 and about to get my braces in three weeks (eep!) I have to have the full metal jacket though because I am a teeth grinder, so ceramic and invisalign... I'll break them all the time. :( However it is what it is and you're never too old to escape from the Duggar cult to do it!

They're a little vain sure, but at least they are allowed to actually put a bit of effort into their appearance now and try and look stylish. I'd rather that than them still being forced to wear the prairie dresses and the frizzy crunchy curls. Without the show, they'd probably still be in those awful frumpy dresses.

Archived