IGNORED

ALERT Purpose

1st wiccan fundie

Seriously. I was raised Catholic and even went to Catholic school. But, looking back, even from a very young age I wasn't buying into it. I remember (loudly) questioning the nuns on the certainty of God ("but how do you know?"). While it seemed like my peers were quietly praying at Mass, I was busy checking out the altar boys.

I specifically remember being told that all the animals and plants...everything on this planet was put here on Earth for us by God, for us to use and exploit. Seems to fall along the conservative party line that we have no responsibility to take care of the planet. But that's a whole other issue. :pull-hair:

My mother took me to the local Methodist church. My dad went to the non-denominational church about 10 miles from our house. The difference in my upbringing is/was I was exposed to more than those two churches. I think I've attended at least one service in every mainstream denomination in my area. Many of them I've attended either youth group back in the day or Bible studies as I got older. They wanted me to be fully aware of the differences of each and make an educated decision about my faith. There was an under current that they really wanted me to pick one but I don't think it would have been and issue if I said "Nope not for me." Actually I'm 100% sure it would have been OK since my half sister and brother do not and did not participate in any church and they were welcome in our home any time of the day or night. Not only did they want me educated about the differences they urged me to ask lots of questions and to weigh the answers that I got. I've pissed a lot of ministers off because of those questions. Either because I was a female (didn't finish that Bible study) or because they didn't know the answer (8 years later still waiting for that minister to get back to me). But the ones I've loved have embraced the challenge and returned it.

Oh wow am I windy tonight lol. My main point is/was that there are a lot of "religious" folks who encourage the questions. If someone is turned off by the questions I assume that they are worried about their own knowledge not mine.

Interesting. Indoctrination, anyone?!

I went to AWANA with the neighbors for a couple of years, in sixth and seventh grades. It was just a once-a-week activity that lasted maybe two hours. I don't think I was there enough to be indoctrinated, but a lot of the other kids attended the church and Christian school where the AWANA meetings took place. Maybe they were indoctrinated, I don't know. They just seemed like regular kids to me, except they were better behaved than the badass kids from my school. I do remember that I enjoyed AWANA more the first year than the second year. The first year, everything was new and the adult leaders took time to answer questions and explain things to me. The second year, I had leaders who weren't as involved. Also, I didn't see the point in memorizing disconnected Bible verses and earning little pins and badges for it. I had spent two years in Brownies and another year in Junior Girl Scouts and I felt that you were supposed to DO things to earn badges and such, not just sit there and memorize passages from a booklet. The stories and games seemed geared more toward the little kids. By the time I was in 8th grade, the neighbors who took me to AWANA had moved away, so I stopped going.

BTW, the older Maxwell kids were in AWANA once upon a time. Steve and Teri don't mention the club's name in "Keeping Your Children's Hearts." But based on their description, it sure sounded like AWANA. Steve pulled the kids out because they were more interested in game time than Scripture time.

Well, I'll tell you this -- the first time I ever saw or heard of ALERT was back in 1996 or 1997. They were marching in a parade in the U.P. When they came around the corner, my blood ran cold -- here was, I thought, the Michigan Militia's answer to the Hitler Youth. The way they were dressed, the way they marched - it was truly spooky. And then the crowd clapped and cheered! It was one of those very surreal moments in life. I always thought they had a connection to the Militia or some other subversive paramilitary group. I'm still not convinced that they aren't, despite their shiny exterior. I mean, yes, I realize they're affiliated with ATI and all that and should more appropriately named the Gothard Youth, but I still can't help but wonder how much anti-government, 'Murica! indoctrination there is. I'm sure they're prepping to shoot down the black helicopters that proceed the invading UN troups after the Rapture or before Armageddon. :angry-banghead: :fsm:

I grew up in the U.P too and I also remember them being at some parades. I'm from the Houghton area and we have a lot of Apostolic Lutherans - who are very VERY fundie. I seem to remember the older boys from some of those families going "away" after High School and I think it was to ALERT or something like it.

I grew up in the U.P too and I also remember them being at some parades. I'm from the Houghton area and we have a lot of Apostolic Lutherans - who are very VERY fundie. I seem to remember the older boys from some of those families going "away" after High School and I think it was to ALERT or something like it.

Oh, that is fascinating! I think a family in my hometown (I'm not from the UP, but I have a Yooper child) belonged to the Apostolic Lutherans. If I am correct in this recollection, the only things that made them stick out from other families was that they drove to Duluth for church and did NOT dance. Now I have something else to research.

Archived