IGNORED

ALERT Purpose

1st wiccan fundie

What is the point of this ALERT Academy? I've looked at the site and several other information sources on it. Clearly, they get some type of outdoor training and rescue service education but, what is the real point? Other than Jesus shit,excuse my language. What are they suppose to do with this? It's not like it will help become a first responder or look good if you were to apply for the military. And I don't think they really explain well enough what it's intended for. Josiah seems to be there all the time! Anyway anyone have any insight on this? Maybe it's just me - though I find it revolting at least Journey of the heart,( to the heart?,) states their purpose rather clear.

brainwashing, pretty much. but they can't come out and *say* that, so they have to disguise it with other language.

Keep 'em busy, keep 'em exhausted, keep 'em not thinking of sex of any kind. At least until they have the "correct" version of sex to thing about, the appropriate woman picked out to court, and they know all the right words to say. Till then? Climb, march, throw ropes around.

Well, I'll tell you this -- the first time I ever saw or heard of ALERT was back in 1996 or 1997. They were marching in a parade in the U.P. When they came around the corner, my blood ran cold -- here was, I thought, the Michigan Militia's answer to the Hitler Youth. The way they were dressed, the way they marched - it was truly spooky. And then the crowd clapped and cheered! It was one of those very surreal moments in life. I always thought they had a connection to the Militia or some other subversive paramilitary group. I'm still not convinced that they aren't, despite their shiny exterior. I mean, yes, I realize they're affiliated with ATI and all that and should more appropriately named the Gothard Youth, but I still can't help but wonder how much anti-government, 'Murica! indoctrination there is. I'm sure they're prepping to shoot down the black helicopters that proceed the invading UN troups after the Rapture or before Armageddon. :angry-banghead: :fsm:

I remember the first time I saw them they rappelled from the roof of the Knoxville conference center and the audience went wild. They had some ALERT cadets marching in like soldiers. Gothard got his own army.

I agree with all of the above comments! I also think that it's the fundie version of the military. That way they could teach them discipline, "manliness" etc. Obviously the US armed forces would open the Gothardite men (let's not kid ourselves, they would never let a woman attend) to many worldly temptations...like rock music, booze, non-fundie women, knees :pink-shock: etc.

I just hope that unlike the ROTC, SeaCadets, or Civil Air Patrol, this ALERT thing can not be counted towards real military officer advancement. I mean I would HOPE it would be something more like a recruiter telling an ALERT "graduate":

"yeah, that's cool. You can't gain any advancement whatsoever with Alert....you will have to enlist and go through the same routes as every other enlisted person if you want to become officer, special ops etc...wait what's that? you say you don't have a high school diploma?????"

Dare I hope this is the case?

I am sure it counts for nothing in the real world.

more than likely. just like all of gothard's stuff.

Well, I'll tell you this -- the first time I ever saw or heard of ALERT was back in 1996 or 1997. They were marching in a parade in the U.P. When they came around the corner, my blood ran cold -- here was, I thought, the Michigan Militia's answer to the Hitler Youth. The way they were dressed, the way they marched - it was truly spooky. And then the crowd clapped and cheered! It was one of those very surreal moments in life. I always thought they had a connection to the Militia or some other subversive paramilitary group. I'm still not convinced that they aren't, despite their shiny exterior. I mean, yes, I realize they're affiliated with ATI and all that and should more appropriately named the Gothard Youth, but I still can't help but wonder how much anti-government, 'Murica! indoctrination there is. I'm sure they're prepping to shoot down the black helicopters that proceed the invading UN troups after the Rapture or before Armageddon. :angry-banghead: :fsm:

I was living in the U.P. until '95 and thank God I missed this demonstration! Though I live in the Chicago land area now, I'm down the road from an Awana organization that is affiliated but I have never had any encounters.

Of course I agree with everyone that this ALERT crap is all brainwashing. However, I am surprised they don't have a better surface image.

These reprogramming camps are a waste of money. How do fundie a afford to send their kids here. It's like $500-$800 dollars per kid. If you have 3,4,5 kids going that's enough to buy new items

I just hope that unlike the ROTC, SeaCadets, or Civil Air Patrol, this ALERT thing can not be counted towards real military officer advancement. I mean I would HOPE it would be something more like a recruiter telling an ALERT "graduate":

"yeah, that's cool. You can't gain any advancement whatsoever with Alert....you will have to enlist and go through the same routes as every other enlisted person if you want to become officer, special ops etc...wait what's that? you say you don't have a high school diploma?????"

Dare I hope this is the case?

I'm more familiar with Air Force, but I believe it is similar for other branches.

ALERT does not allow someone to get advance rank upon graduation from boot camp.

There are a few things that let you get E2 or E3 like having some ROTC or Eagle Scout (or Gold Award for Girl Scouts), some college.

See more here: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforce ... dvrank.htm (not breaking, about.com doesn't care).

Now for the other part. Officer requires a college degree. You don't enlist and "make officer", it's an entirely different thing. You either do ROTC, go to a service academy, or do OCS/OTS (I do think Army requires people to do boot camp and OCS, but not 100% sure). Staff Officers (doctors, lawyers, basically professional degrees) have a slightly different thing, but it's similar to OCS.

I was living in the U.P. until '95 and thank God I missed this demonstration! Though I live in the Chicago land area now, I'm down the road from an Awana organization that is affiliated but I have never had any encounters.

Of course I agree with everyone that this ALERT crap is all brainwashing. However, I am surprised they don't have a better surface image.

awana has a gothard affiliation?? or just that organization? cuz from my memories of awana, they actually pushed kids towards memorizing non-kjv bible verses (nkjv being very prevalent for the most part, with some niv in there). i just remember hanging out, memorizing verses, having little bible lessons, and then game time. but considering that the default at my childhood church in georgia was handing out nkjv books, i'm surprised the general awana organization would have an affiliation with gothard, as he pushed kjv only.

although, since i was little when i was in awana, i'm not clear on if every little church-run awana is independent or if they have an overall place that they all report to, if that makes sense. i also remember the little awana olympics type thing we had, were we have competitive games and then later on, bible memorization and bible fact memorization competitions (ugh, i hated those) so to me it all seemed to be all together as one "unit".

Well, I would hope our superb military would really screen these officer candidates and special ops candidates and vet their pre-military training and education!

Advanced boy scouts. Brainwashing. Keep them busy and isolated from others that are not like them.

And demonize anyone and everyone who is different.

These reprogramming camps are a waste of money. How do fundie a afford to send their kids here. It's like $500-$800 dollars per kid. If you have 3,4,5 kids going that's enough to buy new items

If it means the kids will stay brainwashed, they'll find the money some how!

awana has a gothard affiliation?? or just that organization? cuz from my memories of awana, they actually pushed kids towards memorizing non-kjv bible verses (nkjv being very prevalent for the most part, with some niv in there). i just remember hanging out, memorizing verses, having little bible lessons, and then game time. but considering that the default at my childhood church in georgia was handing out nkjv books, i'm surprised the general awana organization would have an affiliation with gothard, as he pushed kjv only.

although, since i was little when i was in awana, i'm not clear on if every little church-run awana is independent or if they have an overall place that they all report to, if that makes sense. i also remember the little awana olympics type thing we had, were we have competitive games and then later on, bible memorization and bible fact memorization competitions (ugh, i hated those) so to me it all seemed to be all together as one "unit".

I did a quick search and couldn't find any connection between Awana and Gothard. I was in a slight panic because I once led an Awana group. From what I could find any church who can pay the fee to purchase the materials can have an Awana group.

Any church, supposedly can participate in awana. And from what I hear, the one near me has had some Gothard and fundie types attend. David Waller was there about a year ago for an event. This is all just what I hear from neighbors and others. Some Christian neighbors were complaining that it's changed a lot and they didn't know about sending their kids anymore.

But,no I don't know of any official ties to Gothard. Sorry if I implied that. Seems like they attract that type crowd.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's Awana?

"approved workmen are not ashamed".

it's a kids club that teaches kids bible stories, gives them scripture booklets that help them memorize verses (and rewards for completing the booklets), and also gives them "game time". there are usually some preset, standard games (like three-legged races and baton races) but i've seen a few here and there where it looks like each church set up their own thing.

they also have a little kids thing, too...cubbies, i think it's called? it's been years lol.

here's their website:

awana.org

and btw, thanks to the previous posters for the awana/gothard clarification.

"approved workmen are not ashamed".

it's a kids club that teaches kids bible stories, gives them scripture booklets that help them memorize verses (and rewards for completing the booklets), and also gives them "game time". there are usually some preset, standard games (like three-legged races and baton races) but i've seen a few here and there where it looks like each church set up their own thing.

they also have a little kids thing, too...cubbies, i think it's called? it's been years lol.

here's their website:

awana.org

and btw, thanks to the previous posters for the awana/gothard clarification.

Interesting. Indoctrination, anyone?!

Interesting. Indoctrination, anyone?!

oh yeah, definitely. it seems harmless enough, but when you grow up and realize that just about every single activity you did as a child was somehow christian related...it gives you a new perspective.

that's why when i have children, i don't even want to take them to church at all. i don't want them to have any level of indoctrination for anything, not even from my pagan beliefs. i want them to be able to grow up without that fear that religion can put in you (of angering god, of going to hell, etc.).

as a side note, i can still hear the little awana theme song in my head...<.<

oh yeah, definitely. it seems harmless enough, but when you grow up and realize that just about every single activity you did as a child was somehow christian related...it gives you a new perspective.

that's why when i have children, i don't even want to take them to church at all. i don't want them to have any level of indoctrination for anything, not even from my pagan beliefs. i want them to be able to grow up without that fear that religion can put in you (of angering god, of going to hell, etc.).

as a side note, i can still hear the little awana theme song in my head...<.<

Seriously. I was raised Catholic and even went to Catholic school. But, looking back, even from a very young age I wasn't buying into it. I remember (loudly) questioning the nuns on the certainty of God ("but how do you know?"). While it seemed like my peers were quietly praying at Mass, I was busy checking out the altar boys.

I specifically remember being told that all the animals and plants...everything on this planet was put here on Earth for us by God, for us to use and exploit. Seems to fall along the conservative party line that we have no responsibility to take care of the planet. But that's a whole other issue. :pull-hair:

Archived