IGNORED

Pennington Point daughter escapes/ Has no ID's MERGED

Emmaline

So wonderful that there were sane grandparents on the scene willing to give assistance and refuge.

When thinking about Lisa's response to her daughter leaving, I'm thinking that the major amount of distress is not sadness at missing her daughter but rather is a feeling of betrayal by someone she had assumed was a loyal foot soldier for the family. Yes, she loves her daughter, but her daughter is in communication and is close by. The only thing blocking a continuing relationship with her daughter is.......her (Lisa). As Walt Kelly said in Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us." So mop up those tears, Lisa, and meet your daughter for who really is.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is horrifying. I cannot believe the dramatic response to an adult leaving home.

The scary thing is, in a different world, I could see my mom writing that. She threw her whole identity into being a mother and held on to us girls too tightly. She's since gotten better about that, but it took a falling out between me and the family. If my parents had got sucked into fundamentalism, she could have written this post when/if I decided to leave home.

It's sad when a parent's dream of how they want the future to be doesn't match up with reality, and they fight it, instead of letting their kids become their own people.

It's sad when a parent's dream of how they want the future to be doesn't match up with reality, and they fight it, instead of letting their kids become their own people.

And they don't understand that the more they fight it, the more likely they are to alienate their "kids" anyway. Fair play to Lisa's daughter for knowing what she wants. Is this the same mum who said she hoped her daughter would be unhappy after moving out or something? Or was that someone else?

Is this the same mum who said she hoped her daughter would be unhappy after moving out or something? Or was that someone else?

This is a different family. The other mother writes for the Pioneer Woman blog and her daughter, Emelie, ran off with a guy earlier this year.

This is a different family. The other mother writes for the Pioneer Woman blog and her daughter, Emelie, ran off with a guy earlier this year.

Oh yeah, found it. Thanks for clarification!

Pennington Point has been discussed here before: "Pennington Point: Snark Goldmine" - 7 October, 2011.

The broodmother, Lisa, is a sexist control freak who, among other things, demands that her daughters dress up for breakfast even while allowing her sons to show up in their night-clothes.

She may look tame to the untrained eye, but her need to control absolutely everything around her shines through at the least sign of resistance.

Nailed it.

She's a control freak to the extreme. Her children are objects that need to fit into her world, her way. But children aren't objects. You can NEVER please parents like that.

Probably even more importantly, you can't force faith on someone. Everyone needs to go through that journey on their own to question what they do and don't believe. Parroting Bible verses doesn't mean a thing. I am not religious myself (anymore) but was lucky enough to have very religious parents who, unlike most fundies, let us find our own way and were OK with whatever the outcome was because they saw us as individuals, not an extension of themselves. They truly appreciated our differences even when we disagreed with them. That's true unconditional parental love, and it looks very different from Chris Jeub or Michelle Duggar.

So glad her daughter had someone supporting her decision to leave. I would not be surprised if the other kids left at 18 too. Best of luck to them.

In one of this woman's posts she writes about adult children and how she expects them to do chores (reasonable) and still be up and dressed by 7am (controlling). Otherwise she doesn't let them use her car - one misstep meant no car for two weeks.

Nailed it.

She's a control freak to the extreme. Her children are objects that need to fit into her world, her way. But children aren't objects. You can NEVER please parents like that.

Probably even more importantly, you can't force faith on someone. Everyone needs to go through that journey on their own to question what they do and don't believe. Parroting Bible verses doesn't mean a thing. I am not religious myself (anymore) but was lucky enough to have very religious parents who, unlike most fundies, let us find our own way and were OK with whatever the outcome was because they saw us as individuals, not an extension of themselves. They truly appreciated our differences even when we disagreed with them. That's true unconditional parental love, and it looks very different from Chris Jeub or Michelle Duggar.

So glad her daughter had someone supporting her decision to leave. I would not be surprised if the other kids left at 18 too. Best of luck to them.

Yeah, well said! I mean, here on FJ we've all given examples on Chatter about how we've personally followed paths our parents would have preferred us not to in an ideal world, and conversely, some posters with kids may have found the same thing. But the difference is most of us have/are reasonable people who realise that the offspring are their own people and not objects. People like Lisa and Michelle and Chris are just that, control freaks and narcissists who can't see other people - including their children - outside the context of their own wants. It's just a load of self centred bullshit.

Quote - "On Wednesday, September 24th my life was changed forever. My 18 year old daughter left home. She gave us no warning, no signs that it was coming. She didn’t try to talk to us about it or work with us. She, with the help of my parents, just left. And with her she took pieces of my heart that had been torn to shreds. I cried harder that day than I ever knew was possible. So hard that it scared my little boys and I had to go in my closet and put a pillow over my face to muffle the sobs".

Um, she's doing what 18 year old girls do. Leave home. Make a life of their own.

Out here in the real world we wave them goodbye and say "see you next weekend sweetheart!"

OK, there might be a little tear or two, but no screaming hysterics or cutting your parents out of your life.

Life is so much easier when you're not a fundie.

i've never heard of this family before, but the mother sounds really weird and out there. especially the post she made after the daughter left, about using lots of eo's to cope. i mean, if it helps, go ahead. but to write a whole post about it detailing what you used and how? that's just weird. i would think that if you're in that much distress, you wouldn't be worried about making a blog post. sounds like the daughter got out of a bad environment and i'm glad. the mother sounds a lot like my dad in terms of the control she wants to exert and i know what kind of hell that is to live in that. also sad that the mother feels she has to cut out both her parents and her daughter for something that is completely normal, but there's a typical fundie for ya.

Pennington Point has been discussed here before: "Pennington Point: Snark Goldmine" - 7 October, 2011.

The broodmother, Lisa, is a sexist control freak who, among other things, demands that her daughters dress up for breakfast even while allowing her sons to show up in their night-clothes.

She may look tame to the untrained eye, but her need to control absolutely everything around her shines through at the least sign of resistance.

OMG! :pink-shock: I looked through some of the links posted in that thread. That woman is mental.

Her house has to be absolutely spotless at all hours of the day, but it's totally ok to slack off on homeschooling? She obviously has her priorities straight! :cray-cray:

This is really unsettling: thepenningtonpoint.com/2011/09/a-well-trained-child-can-be-a-pain

I also read about her schedule in the interview that was linked in the old thread. She naps every day after lunch while the children have to be absolutely quiet and aren't allowed to have any contact with each other. Once set mealtimes are over, everyone has to immediately stop eating. If you didn't manage finish your meal, your out of luck. Time's up! If you didn't eat because you hate the food, you're out of luck too. You'll be eating it again at the next meal. And no snacks. Ever.*

No wonder Faith ran!!!

*I bet Lisa gets snacks though.

i've never heard of this family before, but the mother sounds really weird and out there. especially the post she made after the daughter left, about using lots of eo's to cope. i mean, if it helps, go ahead. but to write a whole post about it detailing what you used and how? that's just weird. i would think that if you're in that much distress, you wouldn't be worried about making a blog post. sounds like the daughter got out of a bad environment and i'm glad. the mother sounds a lot like my dad in terms of the control she wants to exert and i know what kind of hell that is to live in that. also sad that the mother feels she has to cut out both her parents and her daughter for something that is completely normal, but there's a typical fundie for ya.

She sells the stuff. It's so sick. Who spins their supposed grief about a daughter leaving home without warning into a way to advertise their products?

She sells the stuff. It's so sick. Who spins their supposed grief about a daughter leaving home without warning into a way to advertise their products?

that is incredibly sick and twisted. she obviously doesn't care about her daughter. what she was having a panic attack over was that she would no longer have total and complete control over one of her children. smh.

Reading that post is what tipped my opinion of the mother from merely controlling to scary dangerous. It is all about her, to an extreme. A truly grieving mother might have put up a short post with a brief explanation, and then disappeared for awhile. But this woman doesn't express any concern about her daughter. It is all about (1) cutting her own parents off forever and (2) shilling essential oils. I really thought I was going to be sick by the time I finished reading that post.

I hope the other kids get out. That woman is terrifying.

Check out Julie Paradox's quote from the previous thread:

hmm, looking at the photo on the other blog...

Grace: dead already

Hope: not quite given up

Faith and Patience: smiling bravely and leaning on each other (waiting to run?)

Jacob: knows that something is wrong but has no idea what to do

Noah: is beginning to suspect

Adam and Elijah: thanking their lucky stars they're boys

This woman is a crazy loon. Check out the "Embracing Modesty" section. OMG... So much snark potential when it comes to Lisa. She thinks she's a model. Lisa- you look like an asshat.

If I wasn't exhausted, I could have some fun....

Oh, and Perry Coghlan III posted on the dads FB "Praying. Been through similar trials"

Yessssssss I was hoping so. Deanna seems too cool to be stuck in such a restrictive and boring life. She reminds me a bit of my 19 year old sister.

Yessssssss I was hoping so. Deanna seems too cool to be stuck in such a restrictive and boring life. She reminds me a bit of my 19 year old sister.

Agree! I wish there was more on how Deanna was doing lately.

Check out Julie Paradox's quote from the previous thread:

Yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder what the older girls are up to. Are they still at home?

Yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder what the older girls are up to. Are they still at home?

Yep, all at home. Five, including Faith who left, are adults now.

OMG, yesterday's PP blog post: God is writing her book, which will be sent to the editor soon.

:angry-banghead:

OMG, yesterday's PP blog post: God is writing her book, which will be sent to the editor soon.

:angry-banghead:

I hope he got a co-authorship agreement signed in advance. I've seen more friendships killed that way.

Archived