IGNORED

Alabama school forces 5-year-old girl to sign suicide contra

doggie

This is just crazy. I thought it was ok to have guns in schools in Alabama.

http://www.examiner.com/article/suicide ... e-contract

The mother of a five-year-old girl who attends E.R. Dickson School in Mobile, Alabama, claims that her daughter was forced to sign a contract in school stating that the girl would not commit suicide or kill anyone else, as reported on Friday by WKRN-TV which is an ABC-TV affiliate. The mother, who refused to give her complete name, said that school officials were sending her daughter home from school after an incident involving a crayon and a drawing involving the insinuation of a gun. Prior to sending the girl home, however, she was told to sign the contract about suicide and homicide.

The mother said that school officials told her that her daughter, Elizabeth, drew something that resembled a gun. Additionally, it was said that the little girl pointed a crayon at another student and said “pew, pew.†This incident, according to the mother, led to her daughter being given a questionnaire which is designed to evaluate the girl for possible suicidal thoughts. Beyond that, the girl was given a Mobile County Public School safety contract to sign. The contract says that the person signing it – five-year-old Elizabeth – will not kill herself or anyone else. Elizabeth’s mother, Rebecca, is outraged over the way the school handled the situation.

The mother said that they made her daughter sign the contract about suicide and homicide while she waited in the school’s lobby. She asserts that there should be a different way to handle such a situation. She is quoted as saying, “There should be a different way to handle this… If this is protocol, it needs to be looked at again.†The mother went on to say, “This isn’t right. She’s five-years-old. Most of these words on she’s never heard in her life.†She said, “My child interrupted us and said, ‘What’s suicide, mommy?’â€

What is the point of this contract? It’s not going to get a person to not do something they’ve already decided on. It’s also not going to enable the school to pursue a lawsuit against the kid either. (The actions themselves would!) :roll: Not to mention this kid is 5! :angry-banghead:

The kid is five!

It is so stupid how they go crazy when a small child does something innocent related to guns, like brings a toy gun to school, bites a sandwich into a gun shape, points a crayon at another child and goes "pew pew", brings a little toy soldier with a tiny inch long plastic gun to school or points a stick at another kid and says bang, instead of going after the real dangers, like real guns. There is a difference between a toy gun and a real one, and the majority of kids know the difference between a toy and a real gun.

Why is America a country where it is so easy to get a real gun, a deadly killing machine, but they make a big fuss over a tiny child pretending a perfectly harmless object is a gun.

That poor little girl!

That's what drives me nuts with these zero tolerance policies. Absolutely no room for common sense. So the five year old drawing pictures and playing is treated the same as the 12 year old who makes a legitimate suicide threat.

And the kid who has a Tylenol in her backpack for cramps is treated like the kid who is selling his Ritalin in the bathroom. Or the tiny one inch file on a fingernail clipper looks too much like a knife and the kid is in trouble for having a weapon.

Crazy.

That poor little girl!

That's what drives me nuts with these zero tolerance policies. Absolutely no room for common sense. So the five year old drawing pictures and playing is treated the same as the 12 year old who makes a legitimate suicide threat.

And the kid who has a Tylenol in her backpack for cramps is treated like the kid who is selling his Ritalin in the bathroom. Or the tiny one inch file on a fingernail clipper looks too much like a knife and the kid is in trouble for having a weapon.

Crazy.

It's insane. Canada is far more toned down in this regard yet I remember my parents getting called to my school with concerns I was dealing drugs.

My crime? A teacher saw me give an ibuprofen tablet to a classmate because she had a headache and she didn't have any in her bag and the school nurse wouldn't dispense anything because of suing concerns.

I was 17 and she was 18. Old enough to know she could take a tablet she takes frequently without dying.

It's insane. Canada is far more toned down in this regard yet I remember my parents getting called to my school with concerns I was dealing drugs.

My crime? A teacher saw me give an ibuprofen tablet to a classmate because she had a headache and she didn't have any in her bag and the school nurse wouldn't dispense anything because of suing concerns.

I was 17 and she was 18. Old enough to know she could take a tablet she takes frequently without dying.

Lawd you'd be expelled fer sure in our school system. One of my son's friends got in-school suspension for.... you're not going to believe it.... MENTOS. Seriously.

"Zero-tolerance" policies are a word that I'm not allowed to say. They should be called "Zero-common-sense policies" since what they do is make it so that using common sense is banned.

That said, while I think making the girl sign a suicide contract was silly and useless, at least I don't think it was harmful. At least they didn't spank her or something. I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that Alabama is the spankiest state in public schools. Around 2005 I talked to a kid who said the teachers could just pull you out into the hall and paddle you on their own whim, and there was a rule that you could only get paddled three times a day and there was a kid at his school who usually got the maximum. :shock: I think that in Arkansas, teachers can't do it and only the principal can.

It was an old joke that Arkansas's state moto should be "At least we're not Alabama" or "At least we're not Mississippi". :lol:

Lawd you'd be expelled fer sure in our school system. One of my son's friends got in-school suspension for.... you're not going to believe it.... MENTOS. Seriously.

Yep, You'd be expelled here too. :cray-cray:

"Zero-tolerance" policies are a word that I'm not allowed to say. They should be called "Zero-common-sense policies" since what they do is make it so that using common sense is banned.

That said, while I think making the girl sign a suicide contract was silly and useless, at least I don't think it was harmful. At least they didn't spank her or something. I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that Alabama is the spankiest state in public schools. Around 2005 I talked to a kid who said the teachers could just pull you out into the hall and paddle you on their own whim, and there was a rule that you could only get paddled three times a day and there was a kid at his school who usually got the maximum. :shock: I think that in Arkansas, teachers can't do it and only the principal can.

It was an old joke that Arkansas's state moto should be "At least we're not Alabama" or "At least we're not Mississippi". :lol:

I think it was pretty harmful. At 5 she probably wouldn't have any concept at all of what suicide is, and barely have a concept of death. I think it would completely freak her out to have all that focus on her for suchh a simple every-day action. I would think, depending on the type of kid she is, that it could make her feel really anxious for a long time. How will she know what's okay to draw or play with ? It would be very confusing. And being 5, and it's early fall, it's probably her first real exposure to school - ugggh

My daughter once drew a picture of a bunch of people shooting each other. People went nuts about it. I asked her about it and she did it because she thought people's reaction to it was funny. She was trying to get a rise out of people,She was laughing about it like it was a prank.She was in first grade.

Me: so what were you thinking about when you drew this?

Child:It's funny!

Me feeling sick to my stomach:what's so funny about it?

Child: Your not supposed to draw things like that. Blank got in trouble last week for it, so i did it.

Oh.... That kid.

My daughter once drew a picture of a bunch of people shooting each other. People went nuts about it. I asked her about it and she did it because she thought people's reaction to it was funny. She was trying to get a rise out of people,She was laughing about it like it was a prank.She was in first grade.

Child: Your not supposed to draw things like that. Blank got in trouble last week for it, so i did it.

Oh.... That kid.

I think our kids must be two connected souls...... :lol:

Oh.... That kid.

I approve of this. :dance: People's over-reactions to drawings of violence are ridiculous and your daughter is smart enough to realize that and mock it, instead of getting angry and outraged like the sheeple. You're raising an independent thinker :clap:

I was 5 when my uncle committed suicide. Either that or I was 6, can't remember, the exact year is a little fuzzy.

My parents had to sit down and explain It to me, what t was, and why someone would go and do a thing like that.

The horrifying part is that, once my parents explained it, i though it sounded like a really good idea (I had no friends and was always sad, just like my uncle) so I tried to hang myself with a jump rope.

I realize I am not like most 5 year olds, but still.

I was 5 when my uncle committed suicide. Either that or I was 6, can't remember, the exact year is a little fuzzy.

My parents had to sit down and explain It to me, what t was, and why someone would go and do a thing like that.

The horrifying part is that, once my parents explained it, i though it sounded like a really good idea (I had no friends and was always sad, just like my uncle) so I tried to hang myself with a jump rope.

I realize I am not like most 5 year olds, but still.

Did you die?

Archived