IGNORED

Anybody watch Long Island Medium?

AniLand

I watched Long Island Medium the other day for the first time, and I'm not sure what I think. Her personality reminds me of Cousin Amy (who I cannot stand), and her fingernails are, well, hideous. But the show was entertaining and some of the readings were interesting. Personally, I don't know what I believe. I want to believe in an afterlife, as I would love to see my mom again, but I really am skeptical.

Does anybody here watch her, and what do you think?

ETA: Do any of you remember John Edward? He was on TV in the '90s, I believe. I thought he was amazing.

I have watched some of the episodes. I am not a huge fan of her fingernails or her husband who I think looks like a thug. I do think she does solid work.

The woman needs to develop an "off switch".

She is a fake, as are all "mediums". It's not even something I would want to believe in. After I die I have to hang around somewhere waiting for her to find me and tell my family that "I'm ok, don't worry" or some other drivel.

I hate mediums. They prey on people who are at their lowest ebb. These charlatans should be outlawed.

Both John Edwards and James Van Praagh had similar TV shows in the 1990's. Some of those gallery readings were astonishing. Edwards show, "Crossing Over" apparently only ran one season in 1999 according to IMDb.

Van Praagh's show was called, "Beyond" but he is much better known for the movie "Talking to Heaven" (Ted Danson) and the "Ghost Whisperer" (Jennifer Love Hewitt) fictional TV show.

I've seen bits of her show, but mygosh watch TLC and see ONE ZILLION commercials for the next episode.

All the stuff I've seen her say, could be guessed at or figured out. I don't believe she's a medium.

Who'd want to live life where everywhere you go, dead people talk to you. How do you get anything done?

Count me as a non-believer also. From what I have seen of the show, she seems to be doing cold reads.

I've seen the show a few times. I don't believe in mediums, nor do I believe dead people hang around their living relatives - what kind of freakin' "reward" is that? As as George Carlin would probably ask - how many generations do you have to hang around and watch over your descendents?

I don't know what happens, but either we turn to dust, or I'm hoping we get to truly move on somewhere else - maybe a different planet, since the galaxy is huge. But just hanging out doing nothing much but watching the afterlife's version of reality tv? Gee, I sure hope not.

As to Teresa Caputo (that's her name I think), she seems nice enough. Her messages are always positive - live in the now, don't hang on to sorrow or grief, your loved one is okay. So I don't dislike her - but it's phony.

I don't know if I believe in mediums or not. I think it would be pretty cool to connect with a loved one who passed away. I've been thinking about it but then again its all about money

People hate and fear what they don't understand. It is just human nature. Regardless of what you think about assorted celebrity psychics one thing I have found interesting is the CIA spent milllions developing their own remote viewer operatives during the cold war.

Remote viewing is commonly the purvue of psychics, but the CIA developed teaching protocols to train both psychics and non-psychics to be remote viewers for purposes of intelligence gathering.

One of the better known people to come out of that CIA program was David Moorehouse. Below is a link from one of the many programs that have featured his experiences as a CIA remote viewer. The first two minutes are annoying intro sequences but then the clip gets into the interesting part of his story.

Years ago I listened to a radio interview he gave. I found it interesting to hear him say that the CIA discovered they could train people who were about as psychic as a brick and those individuals did about as well as those who entered the program with some sort of psychic awarness or abilty but were trained the same way.

What if all this scary, fraudulent, BS hysteria about psychic anything is just a widely untapped part of our brains most people don't use? The fact remote viewing could be taught by the CIA strongly suggests it is just a part of the brain most human beings blocked off and boarded up a long time ago. :stir-pot:

Morehouse doesn't sound credible according to this

http://www.remoteviewer.org/remoteviewi ... ehouse.htm

People hate and fear what they don't understand? Such a mongering statement.

I understand Teresa Caputo just fine. She's gifted at figuring out what makes people tick. It can be done, you just teach them how to read cues. Never notice how she might mention a few things before the person in question gasps and starts crying?

I neither hate nor fear mediums. They just aren't relevant in my world. I don't believe in them, well heck if anything knowing the Duggars and TLC makes me extremely skeptical of anything put on their channel.

Just a hint... if you want people to take you seriously, don't start with insulting and belittling your readers. Unless you really do think you are so superior to them.

Wish I could believe mediums are real! How nice would it be if it was that easy and all we had to do was ask some person with a "gift" to play telephone for us?

Just not buying it, though. And that new show about the woman who sees angels or something? Man, I thought Long Island Medium was bad...

Insulting and belittling.... wow! :lol: Expressing an observation of general human behavior is not mongering but to each their own. I think you rather proved my point on this one.

If you don't find Moorehouse credible, fine. We could play battling experts all day. The point was the CIA thought the concept of remote viewing had enough merit to pour millions into developing it for their own use. They saw it as a tool. LIke a hammer, you can build a house with it, or you can bash someone's head in.

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I watch the show (which is not much), I am always struck by how annoyed her family appears. It's like they all think it's a load of bullshit and are sick and tired of the whole thing. I don't blame them- they can't even go for a meal with their mother without her immediately taking off and "reading" someone.

• 1 month later...

I actually saw her live show on 11/30.

She ended up talking to the person behind me--she stood right in front of me

I agree with her hair and nails being awful, but she's from long island that's how they roll

I think she's a legit medium, and I thought John Edwards was awesome also

I think there are tons of legit mediums out there, ones that's truly have a gift.

Then there are even more that just spit out something vague and gauge your reaction and feed off the info you give them without realizing

i've seen a few episodes and i've been completely put off by her. i think there are legit mediums out there, but theresa caputo and john edwards are not legit, imo. i'm an empath, so maybe it's just a weird vibe i get from them, personally, but yeah. no. i think she's pretty fake, from her nails to her hair to her "gift". there's been tons of little exposes on how john edwards rigged his studio, waiting area, and audience to get sensational reads, so i wouldn't doubt it if theresa is using some of his methods as well.

I've seen a few episodes and I noticed that she tells the families the same thing almost verbatim. "He's saying, Mom, I acknowledge that you need to move on and not grieve for me." Really? A nine-yr-old said that ? Um OK. And in another episode a 25 yr-old drug OD said that. And in another episode a father who died in an on the job accident said the exact same thing. Sounded fishy to me.

• 1 year later...

Alright i'm a bit behind on posting this but it has nagging me for weeks now. Jim Parsons, the actor that plays Sheldon Cooper on Big Bang Theory, had an episode with this lady. It has almost killed the character Sheldon Cooper for me. All I can here in my head is him telling her "this is pure hokum!" I'm pretty surprised his agents let him do this gig. 

I can only take Theresa in small doses.  I doubt she's really gifted but she usually does a pretty good job consoling people, which to me is a fairly good thing.  Unlike Sylvia Brown who would tell people awful things.

She kind of fascinates me.  Not because of the medium stuff, but because we are roughly the same age and yet she still looks stuck in the 80s with the hair etc.  The Long Island look would never be me,  but I would like to think that even if it was, that I would have updated it over the years.  

I mostly don't believe in mediums.  I say mostly because there are things that science has yet to explain, but in general I think there are other explanations for what psychics do that are not so supernatural.   Some of them are fakes on purpose, some of them are just picking up on subconscious clues etc.. I don't get the feeling that Teresa is trying to cheat people (but I'm NOT psychic, so who knows!)  And she usually tells people things that they want/need to hear, so I'm not sure it matters whether the messages are from their loved ones or not. As long as people find it helpful and she doesn't take advantage of them (beyond a reasonable charge for her time) then I'm fine with it. I'm not going to be lining up to see her, but if her fans want to, whatever.

I couldn't resist this thread when I saw it pop up again.

I have seen the show a few times before, and always found her totally nutty. Even with editing in her favor, she doesn't always appear to have the greatest batting average. But she tells people what they want to hear in a way that appears to offer some comfort, which isn't the worst thing in the world. 

This past season, one of the episodes featured a girl I went to high school with whose fiancé had passed away. Her sister works at my mom's company, which is how I heard about it -- I'm not a regular viewer (imagine that). My mom insisted I buy the episode so we could watch it, so I have to admit that I contributed $1.99 to Theresa's empire. 

The episode didn't seem all that earth shattering to me, but according to the sister, it really was a source of comfort and closure for the girl.

On January 29, 2016 at 10:49 AM, meowmeow19 said:

Alright i'm a bit behind on posting this but it has nagging me for weeks now. Jim Parsons, the actor that plays Sheldon Cooper on Big Bang Theory, had an episode with this lady. It has almost killed the character Sheldon Cooper for me. All I can here in my head is him telling her "this is pure hokum!" I'm pretty surprised his agents let him do this gig. 

know! I was so disappointed in him for doing that! Oh, Sheldon, no... My husband was the one who told me "I saw an advertisement for some stupid "talking to ghosts" show and Sheldon was on it, I'm so ashamed of him." Also, to all those upthread who will never read this, I think Theresa has been charged with/sued for fraud on more than one occasion, she just does cold reads like John Edwards. Ps, for anyone who hasn't seen the south park episode on John Edwards, go watch it on YouTube, it's a delight.

• 1 month later...
On February 3, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Mrsaztx said:

know! I was so disappointed in him for doing that! Oh, Sheldon, no... My husband was the one who told me "I saw an advertisement for some stupid "talking to ghosts" show and Sheldon was on it, I'm so ashamed of him." Also, to all those upthread who will never read this, I think Theresa has been charged with/sued for fraud on more than one occasion, she just does cold reads like John Edwards. Ps, for anyone who hasn't seen the south park episode on John Edwards, go watch it on YouTube, it's a delight.

Totally agree. 

I'm not ready to say the whole talking to ghosts thing is impossible (I know!)  but these TV mediums are just doing cold readings. Plain and simple. 

Anyone can do the same thing with practice. 

Maybe they think what they're doing is real. I kind of hope so because if they don't, they are horrible people. :P

• 1 month later...

A couple of years ago a friend took me to a show of Teresa's.  I had recently suffered several losses.  I didn't expect she would talk to me, as it was a big auditorium, and I knew she'd only focus on front and end seats.  But there was a whole fan club there and she knew some that she "read".  Another guy she "read" she had a really hard time with for some reason, and he was severely disabled with an inherited disease, and surely he had family who passed or knew plenty of people who had in his peer group, unfortunately.  She had the hardest time with him and had to put spit words in his mouth, and then yell, "see, that's what I mean".  Do I believe she knows anything really?  No.  On the other hand, I have sometimes felt that the ones I have loved and lost are sometimes near.  I hope they are, and I hope we are reunited some day.  Really.

Archived