IGNORED

Papa Arndt's cryptic post

Black Aliss

Daddy's diary is worth a peek, simply because it gives a glimpse into his obsession with his family. I also think he likes to pretend he's living in the early 19th century, but he just doesn't have the chops to fully pull it off.

A typical entry goes something like this (and this is me, not Daddy, but it's illustrative).

As I type these few words, the sun is just beginning to lower itself in the west and shadows fall upon my office room. I smell some delightful aromas wafting up from the kitchen. Cathy and Mary-Elizabeth must be concocting a wonderful, hearty meal of which the entire family shall soon partake. Peter has been resting in his bed chamber for the past hour. We fear he is coming down with a head cold and have been praying for him all day. Jude has just stopped in with news of some Vine Valley editing that he has been working on for the past several months, and now enters Mark. We chat for several minutes and then Mark departs, only to be replaced by Philip who has an update on Dumbo the duck's bumble foot problem. He's working on a homemade paste which he hopes will cure the poor creature of its ills. He and Jude discuss this for some time and then depart. Soon I hear them chatting amiably with James, Seth and Caleb. They've lowered their voices in consideration of my labors, so I cannot make out their words, but they are all cheerful and seem in high spirits.....

He goes on like this endlessly and it sounds almost like some fantasy. I know most people think Mommy is the controlling the boys and I'm inclined to agree, but Daddy is absolutely obsessed with the movements of everyone in the family. So creepy.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few days ago someone told me about a radio podcast called Night Vale.

The next day I was trying to describe it to someone else but my mind blanked on the name -- all I could think of was Vine Valley, and I knew that wasn't right! :lol:

Hey, it's a 4-letter word that starts with V -- that's how my mind works!

Daddy's diary is worth a peek, simply because it gives a glimpse into his obsession with his family. I also think he likes to pretend he's living in the early 19th century, but he just doesn't have the chops to fully pull it off.

A typical entry goes something like this (and this is me, not Daddy, but it's illustrative).

As I type these few words, the sun is just beginning to lower itself in the west and shadows fall upon my office room. I smell some delightful aromas wafting up from the kitchen. Cathy and Mary-Elizabeth must be concocting a wonderful, hearty meal of which the entire family shall soon partake. Peter has been resting in his bed chamber for the past hour. We fear he is coming down with a head cold and have been praying for him all day. Jude has just stopped in with news of some Vine Valley editing that he has been working on for the past several months, and now enters Mark. We chat for several minutes and then Mark departs, only to be replaced by Philip who has an update on Dumbo the duck's bumble foot problem. He's working on a homemade paste which he hopes will cure the poor creature of its ills. He and Jude discuss this for some time and then depart. Soon I hear them chatting amiably with James, Seth and Caleb. They've lowered their voices in consideration of my labors, so I cannot make out their words, but they are all cheerful and seem in high spirits.....

He goes on like this endlessly and it sounds almost like some fantasy. I know most people think Mommy is the controlling the boys and I'm inclined to agree, but Daddy is absolutely obsessed with the movements of everyone in the family. So creepy.

You are dead on -- I had to go look after I read your version and you are perfect!

Wow! That is so...wow! :clap: You're really good at channeling Daddy Arndt. On the other hand, why do they make us sign up for that?

Daddy Arndt's writing makes me think he's trying to write a novel but has no idea how to put a plot together, so he just describes what is happening around him. Kind of makes sense why Vine Valley is taking so long.

I have two thoughts regarding the Arndts: 1) If any ManBoy reaches 36 without getting married, he won't ever marry; and 2) if none of the sons are married by the time David turns 21, none of them are ever getting married.

Paul's got 2 years left, and David turns 21 in 9 years.

Wizzy I think has the highest likelihood of getting out of the house through marriage, but even then, those white shorts are likely going to be off-putting to a lot of fundies.

Daddy Arndt's writing makes me think he's trying to write a novel but has no idea how to put a plot together, so he just describes what is happening around him. Kind of makes sense why Vine Valley is taking so long.

I have two thoughts regarding the Arndts: 1) If any ManBoy reaches 36 without getting married, he won't ever marry; and 2) if none of the sons are married by the time David turns 21, none of them are ever getting married.

Wizzy I think has the highest likelihood of getting out of the house through marriage, but even then, those white shorts are likely going to be off-putting to a lot of fundies.

I think you might be dead on about that. I too believe that Wizzy has the best chance of leaving the house. It will be interesting in the next few years to see if they do start to look into courtships and will they go Fundie or will they have to go somewhere else?

I think you might be dead on about that. I too believe that Wizzy has the best chance of leaving the house. It will be interesting in the next few years to see if they do start to look into courtships and will they go Fundie or will they have to go somewhere else?

I live in the area and it is not very fundie. There are Pentecostals (i think? the women wear long skirts) but that would disqualify Wizzy because of the white shorts you mentioned. I guess she will marry into a regular conservative christian family? I'm trying to come up with where an Arndt would fit in the larger society outside of "Ardnt World" and I'm coming up with nothing. :think:

ETA: I think apostolic was what I was going for instead of pentecostal.

I live in the area and it is not very fundie. There are Pentecostals (i think? the women wear long skirts) but that would disqualify Wizzy because of the white shorts you mentioned. I guess she will marry into a regular conservative christian family? I'm trying to come up with where an Arndt would fit in the larger society outside of "Ardnt World" and I'm coming up with nothing. :think:

ETA: I think apostolic was what I was going for instead of pentecostal.

Yeah I can't see them fitting in anywhere really. It's hard to picture them anywhere but where they are. They're not fundie enough for fundies and they're too fundie for your average person.

In dads diary he talks about long car rides where he and one son or another discuss deepthoughts or issues. THEY are all on some big required daily long prayer in the spirit daily. I know people lean toward mom being the control element but dad m a yy have more cult leader vibe than i thought. Other cults convince married couples to be celibate while the cult leader xsleeps with everyone. Sonif they started in early with anti sex programing reinforced with ongoing talks and a very strict fitness routine... the family cult could convince them sex was not meant for tbem. :cray-cray:

In dads diary he talks about long car rides where he and one son or another discuss deepthoughts or issues. THEY are all on some big required daily long prayer in the spirit daily. I know people lean toward mom being the control element but dad m a yy have more cult leader vibe than i thought. Other cults convince married couples to be celibate while the cult leader xsleeps with everyone. Sonif they started in early with anti sex programing reinforced with ongoing talks and a very strict fitness routine... the family cult could convince them sex was not meant for tbem. :cray-cray:

The fitness routine is very rigid. Back when he was in his late teens Luke was overweight and his parents were all over him about it until he lost the weight. When Wizzie was a pre-teen, both her father and Luke wrote proudly about separate instances when she stuck to a salad while at a restaurant buffet and another instance when she counted her calories to stay under her daily allowance while at a restaurant.

Every aspect of their lives seems controlled and monitored by their parents. It's really quite frightening. Something is gonna give one of these days.

The fitness routine is very rigid. Back when he was in his late teens Luke was overweight and his parents were all over him about it until he lost the weight. When Wizzie was a pre-teen, both her father and Luke wrote proudly about separate instances when she stuck to a salad while at a restaurant buffet and another instance when she counted her calories to stay under her daily allowance while at a restaurant.

Every aspect of their lives seems controlled and monitored by their parents. It's really quite frightening. Something is gonna give one of these days.

I can't imagine my brother being proud that I was counting calories, or my Dad. When they do escape they're going to binge eat chocolate and have parties with excessive amounts of alcohol! I can't imagine a family where someone is watching what I eat.

I found dinner for the man-boys.

penguins-pkg-overlay.png

:penguin-no: Hahaha! I don't think that they would be able to eat anything shaped like penguins, what if it was...Benji(?)

• 9 months later...

Dad's latest entry ends with this:

James has just buzzed my office room. He has a question about our small black car, which serves as a “character†in the Vine Valley movie.

What does Daddy Ardnt keep himself locked in his "office room" the majority of the day while he daydreams about Vine Valley? He never posts anything about any actual "work" he may be doing other than this stupid never-ending, never-happening movie...

Just curious, but why 36?

Dad's latest entry ends with this:

James has just buzzed my office room. He has a question about our small black car, which serves as a “character†in the Vine Valley movie.

What does Daddy Ardnt keep himself locked in his "office room" the majority of the day while he daydreams about Vine Valley? He never posts anything about any actual "work" he may be doing other than this stupid never-ending, never-happening movie...

No snark, he's definitely living in a weird fantasy world while his wife and sons toil away for him.

It may be a small cult, but it's a cult.

In related news, I believe Paul turns 35 in a couple of days.

No snark, he's definitely living in a weird fantasy world while his wife and sons toil away for him.

I wish they would post more videos. It also seems like Mama Arndt is always painting and/or redecorating one of the rooms of the home and recently the older boys were powerwashing the outside of the home. I swear this man does nothing at all.

I wish they would post more videos. It also seems like Mama Arndt is always painting and/or redecorating one of the rooms of the home and recently the older boys were powerwashing the outside of the home. I swear this man does nothing at all.

He hasn't lifted a finger to do anything in many years. Meanwhile, he has everyone else running around doing depositions, covering weddings, cooking, cleaning, doing landscaping, fixing things around the large house, redecorating, filming and editing for him, and running errands. He plays softball, writes his in his diary and occasionally takes a "kid" for a drive to get a"fountain drink" and talk about the Lord's plan for Arndts. And the rest of his time he seems to sit and dream about Vine Valley in his private room.

I've given up trying to figure out why no one seems to get this or if they do, why they aren't doing something about it. He gets to enjoy the benefits of early retirement being waited on hand and foot, secure in the knowledge that he'll always have people around to support him. All while his older sons begin approaching middle age with uncertain futures. I'd be willing to bet none of them has anything saved for their own retirement. They work only for the good of the collective.

He also seems to dwell on the time period and place he met and married Cathy. Not a week goes by where he doesn't make a reference to it.

The latest general "Famteam" website post is this verse from Proverbs. Apparently there are no woman like this is the greater St Louis area....

“A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.â€

Proverbs 31:10-12

He hasn't lifted a finger to do anything in many years. Meanwhile, he has everyone else running around doing depositions, covering weddings, cooking, cleaning, doing landscaping, fixing things around the large house, redecorating, filming and editing for him, and running errands. He plays softball, writes his in his diary and occasionally takes a "kid" for a drive to get a"fountain drink" and talk about the Lord's plan for Arndts. And the rest of his time he seems to sit and dream about Vine Valley in his private room.

I've given up trying to figure out why no one seems to get this or if they do, why they aren't doing something about it. He gets to enjoy the benefits of early retirement being waited on hand and foot, secure in the knowledge that he'll always have people around to support him. All while his older sons begin approaching middle age with uncertain futures. I'd be willing to bet none of them has anything saved for their own retirement. They work only for the good of the collective.

Maybe this is part of the reason the older guys are still there.

It takes a lot of work to maintain that size property not to mention the house - one less person working at home is more work for the others, one less person working for money means less financial security for everyone. I can see the guilt of that being insurmountable to nice guys who truly feel it's their duty to provide for their family, the same way it would be unthinkable for most parents to just up and walk out on their kids. Or how the J-Slaves feel responsible for their buddies.

It's not the same, of course, because it's Rick and Cathy's responsibility not theirs, but if the brainwashing was effective enough they may not even question it at this point. I would imagine it would be easier to convince yourself you didn't want to break away, than that you do and can't because of your selfish parents. The latter would breed festering resentment and anger which would be hard to live with. Real, but painful and ugly.

It's like they are all in some kind of trance and I have a feeling if just one makes it out it will break the spell for the rest of them. And unlike some of the other fundies I think after the shock wore off these guys will be just fine. They're smart, they have skills, and know how to work. A couple of months and they'll be wondering what took them so long. (and not that people have to marry to be happy, but if it was what they wanted most of them would make pretty great husbands/dads (based on the limited data available.) I have a sense that Paul and Luke would be the toughest to live with - but the rest seem to have greater than average potential to make a future spouse/family really happy. Particularly John, Mark, and Jude.

And yeah it will be hard for Rick and Cathy to maintain that place alone ...but if they hadn't retired on the backs of their sons they'd either have the money to hire help as needed or they could downsize. It's a beautiful property and I'd hate to leave it, but I wouldn't enjoy any home if I could only keep it at the expense of my children's happiness and autonomy. They gave those guys life...it doesn't mean they have the right to take it back.

Did anyone see the episode where Cathy takes Jacob to driver's ed? He comes out and she's grilling him about any girls in the class, where they what he liked, and then gives him a hard time about not remembering their names. I have boys who were normally socialized and speak to girls they aren't related to every day and if I had expected them to come out of a drivers ed class where they knew no one with names and hook up information they'd have thought I lost my mind. Does she not understand how this stuff works? She's not stupid - cagey, but not stupid.

Down the road Rick better hope he goes first. Because as sad as she'd be she'll be okay. If she goes first he's going to completely lose touch with reality...be found wandering around in a baseball cap naked under an open robe muttering bible passages and lines from imaginary screen plays. His own version of What Ever Happened to Baby Jane.

edited because redundancy is annoying so i got some (not all) of it.

...he's going to completely lose touch with reality...be found wandering around in a baseball cap naked under an open robe muttering bible passages and lines from imaginary screen plays. His own version of What Ever Happened to Baby Jane.

I almost think he's like that now. If he isn't doing anymore of the transcription or court reporting work, I can't imagine what he spends his days doing. Based on the videos and his diary it seems like the manboys do most of the Vine Valley editing. I swear he just sits in his office-room drooling. Seriously, I would not be surprised if he comes down with some serious dementia.

I did see the driver's ed/girls in the class episode. At first she comes off like any other teasing mom, but then after you think about it objectively, it's rather creepy and I wonder if it's really just faking for the camera.

Did you see the one where I think it was Luke or James was helping Cathy paint the porch and all of the sudden Rick comes out and asks him to "go for a ride". All of the sudden he gets all nervous, checking his clothes to make sure he's presentable, etc., then rushes to the car. Daddy says jump and they say how high.....

I almost think he's like that now. If he isn't doing anymore of the transcription or court reporting work, I can't imagine what he spends his days doing. Based on the videos and his diary it seems like the manboys do most of the Vine Valley editing. I swear he just sits in his office-room drooling. Seriously, I would not be surprised if he comes down with some serious dementia.

I did see the driver's ed/girls in the class episode. At first she comes off like any other teasing mom, but then after you think about it objectively, it's rather creepy and I wonder if it's really just faking for the camera.

Did you see the one where I think it was Luke or James was helping Cathy paint the porch and all of the sudden Rick comes out and asks him to "go for a ride". All of the sudden he gets all nervous, checking his clothes to make sure he's presentable, etc., then rushes to the car. Daddy says jump and they say how high.....

Just re watched - James was helping paint but Luke was the one who went for a ride with Rick (Luke was wearing his fussy white shorts.)

I thought the drivers ed convo felt fake, too. Almost like a calculated move to mention girls to seem normal and they have so few opportunities she forced it in there.

In the episode with the painting they mentioned Rick's religious service. That's what I'm dying to know - how does that happen? People leave the Catholic Church all the time, but not to start their own offshoot religion in their house for only their family and viewers on their obscure website. I'd love to know what their families thought about that - I can't imagine that was well received but there appears to be friendly contact on both sides.

How arrogant do you have to be to start your own religion?

if you watch what they do and not what they say it sometimes looks like Rick is pretty irrelevant - like he's not all there and they are humoring him to keep him happy and out of the way; Cathy seems like she's spearheading everything. Then he whips out the creepy with the drives and religion and I go back to thinking he's wielding s lot of dark power himself.

Is there a vid which outlines what they actually believe? for people so intense about their faith (midday prayer meetings?) they are pretty vague when it comes to the specifics.

Is there a vid which outlines what they actually believe? for people so intense about their faith (midday prayer meetings?) they are pretty vague when it comes to the specifics.

I don't think so.

I can only take so many of Rick's "sermons" but they are all pretty much the same vague Biblical talk. I know they speak in tongues. I'm glad they haven't posted any videos of this.

What I find so maddening about "Christians" like the Arndts is that they are nothing but words, never doing any good deeds. Most of the family seems to have a lot of free time on their hands (I'll give Cathy a pass here) but you never hear of them doing anything charitable within the community. Rick's ministry consists of nothing but his narcissistic rambles and his sons spend their time playing games when they aren't working to support him and his ridiculous filming venture.

I do think Rick is the cult leader, nutty as he is. Cathy is a true helpmeet though, and has played a huge role in shaping the kids. That shaping has no doubt dovetailed with Rick's agenda for them. But I will say that the manboys all seem like swell guys. Except for Seth. He annoys me.

Archived