IGNORED

Adeye upset at clinic practicing sound medicine

mystikchick17

how much you wanna bet that when she finally "finds" a doctor that will implant them all at once, that it will involve a lot of travel, potentially across the country.

but, you know, that's what god wants, so please help us in fulfilling his commands!

uh huh. yeah. i smell something rotten.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed...I mean, there are just too many cues here for me to miss - We got a house! Oh wait, nevermind...we didn't get a house. She's got to be paying for Haven's school - it has to be a private school.

I don't know anything about the rest of it. But I'm pretty sure that a specialized private school would be paid for by her local school district. If it's the most appropriate placement for her special needs child.

I don't know anything about the rest of it. But I'm pretty sure that a specialized private school would be paid for by her local school district. If it's the most appropriate placement for her special needs child.

yeah, that can depend on the district she's in and what resources are available. from what i see in the general districts in my area (i have no kids, but i interact with a lot of nurses and special needs educators who need records) but it seems there a quite a lot of resources out there that are available through the public schools. so unless she lives in an area that doesn't have those kinds of resources, she would have had to choose a private school over a public school, which i'm not thinking they would necessarily cover (unless, as i said, there aren't those same or similar resources available in her district).

• 3 weeks later...

Adeye has made two videos because apparently the Snowflake adoption agency wants to make a documentary about their adoption journey. I don't know if they have already been posted here but here they are :

youtube.com/watch?v=2ariyfcEqSI

youtube.com/watch?v=UNby0NZQuXY

I think it is very interesting to get to see these people we only read about in motion, their mannerisms and voices. Their accents were not at all how I imagined ! I was pleasantly surprised at how much healthier Hasya seems, they have even let her hair grow out.

It seems from her posts that they have found another clinic that will do the transfer for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Desirai was given up so soon after birth that the father had no chance to assert his right (it was soon enough that he wouldn't have had any reason to know she had definitely been born). Dusten knew Veronica had been born, and made no attempts to support her at all. That's the huge difference there. One had the chance and did nothing. The other didn't even know the birth had happened yet.

The court also gave custody of Desirai not to her non-Indian father, but to the tribe. This says that the tribe's rights to the kids trumps the rights of non-Indian parents.

The adoption system needs a major overhaul. I don't know how it can be done though, since private agencies have every incentive to toss kids to whoever will pay, even if it means screwing clueless fathers, but if it's left to the states, politicians aren't exactly known for making decisions that don't benefit them somehow. But kids shouldn't be left in the foster system for years and years if their mothers genuinely don't want to raise them. There's a case in the midwest right now where a kid was adopted, and 8 years or so later, a court ordered her to go back to the dad who abandoned her before he was sent to jail for many years. It's inconsistent. If that guy could change his mind so many years later with a major criminal record, Dusten should have been able to change his mind. But at the same time, Dusten did a major wrong by not even trying to provide for Veronica long enough to establish abandonment. All these different state laws make it all a clusterfuck.

I think maybe, at the least, adoption should be a federal issue. The people paying the biggest prices are the kids who get jerked from one home to another and back and then back again.

The case of the 8 yo "returned" to the supposedly criminal biodad? Is absolutely NOT what you're making it out to be -- there was a court order to return the girl to her bio grandmother way back in 2005 that the foster parents (NOT the adoptive parents, because they lied in court & thus the adoption was never even legal in the first place) merrily elected to ignore. Much of the trauma little Sonya faced is a direct result of the foster parents beyond-selfish, morally reprehensible actions:

http://www.tba2.org/tba_files/TCA/2009/ ... ACBLAAA%3D

Adeye Salem, I've concluded, is a child-collecting, borderline-abusive nutter -- the borderline-abusive is due to her treatment of Haven (adopted from China as a traumatized, non-verbal toddler, who gets NO speech therapy, no sign language classes, no "talker" or alternate means to communicate as Adeye deemed her "perfect as-is" and thus does not need to communicate). Failing to teach Haven to communicate (in some way! Any way!) is abuse, in and of itself.

A 40-something woman being "implanted" with 4 embryos she selected specifically BECAUSE they have are likely to have severe disabilities is LUNACY. There's a HUGE difference between loving the severely disabled kid you happen to give birth to and INTENTIONALLY setting out to have severely disabled kids. To pick embryos on that basis.

*head hits desk*

It's extra-lunatic given that Adeye's already got 9 kids, 5 of whom are unlikely to ever be able to live independently (2 Bulgarian kids, 2 Ukrainian kids, 1 Chinese girl) and that the Salem family lives on one (presumably un-huge) pastor's salary and has gratefully received gifts of things they cannot afford from their community (expensive formula, wheelchair van, etc).

God forbid anything happens to Adeye (4 embryos + mid-40s woman = uber-high risk pregnancy)... ugh

She is one disturbed woman really. How can she possibly have the time and financial resources to properly care for all 9 children in the way they all deserve? She makes me want to tear my hair out as she is so oblivious to the effect this pregnancy will have on ALL her exsisting children.

It's all about Adeye, and until someone stops her, (ffs man up Anthony!!) she will continue with her modus operandi of "the greater the disabilities, the greater the nobility" mission.

The case of the 8 yo "returned" to the supposedly criminal biodad? Is absolutely NOT what you're making it out to be -- there was a court order to return the girl to her bio grandmother way back in 2005 that the foster parents (NOT the adoptive parents, because they lied in court & thus the adoption was never even legal in the first place) merrily elected to ignore. Much of the trauma little Sonya faced is a direct result of the foster parents beyond-selfish, morally reprehensible actions:

http://www.tba2.org/tba_files/TCA/2009/ ... ACBLAAA%3D

Yikes! I was so annoyed by the misinformation about Dusten and Veronica, I completely missed the misinformation about Sonya's case. Let's just say both the Capobiancos & the Hodgins' hired the services of a PR firm called Trio Solutions, who have an unhealthy and disturbing need to contribute to children being adopted away from fit families. They likely get money from the adoption industry for these cases, because a win for the prospective adopters opens the door to more (unethical) adoptions. They completely controlled the public narrative, aka lies in Veronica's case, and have controlled a lot in Sonya's case.

Veronica was already spirited away to SC, WITHOUT an ICPC by the time Dusten knew she was born. Her mother refused all communication with Dusten and even told the hospital to let anyone know she was there so they could falsely claim abandonment. They were engaged, he wanted to marry her. And even if he had actually abandoned Veronica early on, she lived with him for 2 years and then was ripped away by people who were, by then, complete strangers. She is not doing well and she deserved a best interest hearing based on current circumstances, but her adopters had a lot of connections, including in the Supreme Court & SC Governer's office.

In SM's situation, that whole case is a clusterfuck. She never should have been in TN in the first place. She was a NE citizen and her father had custody. Hodgins' used their family connections and shenanigans in court, including a restraining order against DCS, as well as venue shopping, in order to play keep-away until DCS and the courts finally had enough of them and forcibly removed her. She is happy with her daddy, who has been fighting to get her home ever since the babysitter refused to return her when she was a toddler. Her GAL has said multiple times that she has no desire to return to the Hodgins' and wants them to stop the media campaign.

As for Adeye, that is a disaster of epic proportions waiting to happen. I really hope she doesn't find a clinic to indulge this insanity, but she probably will.

It seems from her posts that they have found another clinic that will do the transfer for them.

ugh. srsly. i hate what i like to term "doctors-for-hire" who will just do what you want. they seem to be less and less nowadays, but if you look hard enough, you can find them. i was hoping she wouldn't be able to find one, but it seems i was not hopeful enough.

is it bad that i'm hoping that if she goes through with this and gets all four implanted, that they don't take? i just keep thinking about the kids she has now that are special needs and how having even just one more special needs kid - or even just another kid, period - is going to put a lot more stress on them. i feel that's totally unfair on her kids when they have no real voice in the decision making.

I agree, Bcs!

I think it's abuse to deliberately bring a severely disabled child into the world- what kind of life will he or she have? Not a quality one, if they are in pain or too mentally disabled to understand and take part in the world around them.

I'm pro choice and wouldn't force abortions, but I think considering that an (esp. mentally) disabled child costs schools and taxpayers millions, the likelihood of having one should be minimized thru improved testing and wider use of PGD. I do not begrudge persons with disabilities their care, and I think that they deserve the best life they can have, once alive. But, it seems that would-be parents do not consider this cost when deciding what to do about a fetus with a detected disability, and they should. Of course, developmental disabilities, accidents, or undetectable in utero problems are different- you already have a person, so you make the best of the situation. The calculus, for me, is whether the person will be engaged in a quality life and be able to contribute to society (whether thru family, work, helping others, etc.) if not, I would abort or not implant.

Sorry if this sounds harsh- it's just that my former school system cut gifted ed altogether recently, which was vital for me as a kid, while adding several more rooms, teachers, and resources for special ed. It's unfair to give nothing, or the least, to those who could do so much with their intelligence. I really hope this doesn't start a flame war against me, but it's what I think.

is it bad that i'm hoping that if she goes through with this and gets all four implanted, that they don't take? i just keep thinking about the kids she has now that are special needs and how having even just one more special needs kid - or even just another kid, period - is going to put a lot more stress on them. i feel that's totally unfair on her kids when they have no real voice in the decision making.

No, I think that once implanted honestly that's the best outcome. So if you're in the handbasket to hell, move on over and make room. I've got wine. :D

I'll be blunt, I don't believe in Adeye's religion at all, so from my POV, there is no reason to try implanting these cells at all. Right now, there is no suffering going on, because there are no children there, no brains to be doing any suffering.

From her POV, if she tries to implant these embryos and they don't take, she will have done her "due diligence" and "given them a chance" and whatever else, but hey, didn't work out, it's in God's hands, etc etc etc her usual mantras.

Though I do wonder what her next step might be in such a case - she seems pretty much into the escalation at this point. What's the next step? How much more disabled of a kid is it possible for her to try for?

Also speaking of how she constantly goes on about God orchestrating all this and being in control and whatever else, does she never actually ask herself why on earth her God would allow kids to be starved to death on the top floor of Pleven just so she can come to their rescue? I think personally that's my biggest WTF reading over her whole blog - that's not to say that she hasn't done good getting people to know of these kids (kids who EXIST and have actual brains and are actually suffering) and adopt some, getting people involved in that horror fired, etc, but the way she talks about the whole thing is just very WTF to me.

I agree, Bcs!

I think it's abuse to deliberately bring a severely disabled child into the world- what kind of life will he or she have? Not a quality one, if they are in pain or too mentally disabled to understand and take part in the world around them.

I'm pro choice and wouldn't force abortions, but I think considering that an (esp. mentally) disabled child costs schools and taxpayers millions, the likelihood of having one should be minimized thru improved testing and wider use of PGD. I do not begrudge persons with disabilities their care, and I think that they deserve the best life they can have, once alive. But, it seems that would-be parents do not consider this cost when deciding what to do about a fetus with a detected disability, and they should. Of course, developmental disabilities, accidents, or undetectable in utero problems are different- you already have a person, so you make the best of the situation. The calculus, for me, is whether the person will be engaged in a quality life and be able to contribute to society (whether thru family, work, helping others, etc.) if not, I would abort or not implant.

Sorry if this sounds harsh- it's just that my former school system cut gifted ed altogether recently, which was vital for me as a kid, while adding several more rooms, teachers, and resources for special ed. It's unfair to give nothing, or the least, to those who could do so much with their intelligence. I really hope this doesn't start a flame war against me, but it's what I think.

Purposefully setting out to have severely disabled kids, Adeye-style, is just plain stupid irresponsible & AWFUL -- and also a completely separate issue from (1) how funding for public education is allocated (gifted vs special ed) and (2) loving the disabled kid you happen to get.

I'm pro-choice; would never want any woman to be forced to have an abortion, under any circumstances, and; my husband and I CHOSE to meet with a genetic counsellor prior to trying to have kids. Tay-Sachs and CF run in the family, so hubby got tested. (Happily, it came back negative, he wasn't a carrier so I didn't need to get tested).

Part of what creeps me out about Adeye and her fellow fundies is their insistence that there's a "shortage" of people with various disabilities -- because, ummmm, I've donated to CF & T-S research, in the hope that someone will figure out what causes it and/or how to effectively treat it. Because I would love nothing more than for there to be a "shortage" of both awful diseases.

(Ugh ugh ugh to "gifted" programs -- I was subjected to one, my girlies qualified but refused to subject either of them to it. Skipping one & two grades, respectively, seems to work better. I finished high school/started college at 16 and wasn't unduly scarred by it, so figure they won't be either).

I agree, Bcs!

I think it's hard to know how disabled a person will be before they are born. My sister has DS and is severely diabled. Her mental age is 12 months. She is 59. A prenatal test will be positive for downs but not tell the severity. I know people with cerebral palsy of varrying degrees of severity. I think it's a hard call. I also worked with severely handicapped adults and I have a hard time thinking of any that didn't have a life that had value. Perhaps not how we would judge it, but I can't think of any of them and say...... Wow, they should of never been born.

I can understand a person not being up to caring for a disabled child. It's hard. But feel like a life not worth it is a rare occurance.

It's late and I'm tired so perhaps I misread your post. In that case ignore me.

Purposefully setting out to have severely disabled kids, Adeye-style, is just plain stupid irresponsible & AWFUL -- and also a completely separate issue from (1) how funding for public education is allocated (gifted vs special ed) and (2) loving the disabled kid you happen to get.

This.

Plus, I'm also wondering if the gifted vs. special ed thing is misleading in its own right. I'd love to see the figures on how much the respective programs cost. My guess is that special ed would cost tons more than gifted programs, because having smaller classrooms, paraprofessionals, etc., is really, really expensive. Cutting out a gifted program is probably like cutting out arts and music. Yes, it's unfortunate, but it's probably not fair to scapegoat special ed as the source of all underlying funding problems.

And yes, I get that money is fungible, so money spent on special ed arguably means less for other stuff. So maybe in that sense, one can justify being angry that just one less special ed student would mean so much more money to go around.

But in general, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's an equality vs. equity issue. Special ed programs are expensive because some kids need more resources. There is just something unseemly about scapegoating those kids for the lack of "extras" like gifted programs.

This.

Plus, I'm also wondering if the gifted vs. special ed thing is misleading in its own right. I'd love to see the figures on how much the respective programs cost. My guess is that special ed would cost tons more than gifted programs, because having smaller classrooms, paraprofessionals, etc., is really, really expensive. Cutting out a gifted program is probably like cutting out arts and music. Yes, it's unfortunate, but it's probably not fair to scapegoat special ed as the source of all underlying funding problems.

And yes, I get that money is fungible, so money spent on special ed arguably means less for other stuff. So maybe in that sense, one can justify being angry that just one less special ed student would mean so much more money to go around.

But in general, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's an equality vs. equity issue. Special ed programs are expensive because some kids need more resources. There is just something unseemly about scapegoating those kids for the lack of "extras" like gifted programs.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth too -- as education funding isn't quite the zero sum game the other poster makes it out to be.

All kids are entitled to a Free, Appropriate Public Education -- the reliable, safe, used-but-well-maintained Volvo of educations, if you will. Not a top-of-the-line, shiny new Rolls Royce education -- not the special ed kids, not the gifted kids, not the average kids.

Just as a standard education would be inappropriate for a child with an IQ of 50 or 60, I think that that same education does not serve the needs of a child with an IQ of 140 or 150. A very intelligent kid can end up so bored with school that they hate it or drop out- this isn't a case of "the cream rising to the top." Just as children with disabilities should have special plans for education, children with high IQs should have plans. An education is not "appropriate," under law, IMO, if a child is always bored, waiting for others, etc. skipping grades can help, but isn't for everyone. I don't view gifted ed as an "extra". For a lot of GT kids, that's vital for keeping them engaged and maybe even in school. Expecting them to learn just like their peers is as inappropriate as expecting a child with an IQ of 50 to keep on pace and learn the same, I think.

Yes, GT programs may be poorly done or administered, so some people may not like them or put their kids in, but that doesn't mean they're bad, full stop.

I think it's hard to know how disabled a person will be before they are born. My sister has DS and is severely diabled. Her mental age is 12 months. She is 59. A prenatal test will be positive for downs but not tell the severity.

DS has a wide range, yeah.

What's weird to me about this case though is that (at least by my heathen beliefs) there IS no kid(s). When someone has a prenatal test come back showing DS, things are already actively "installed" and progressing on the way to forming a baby. Sure, some people will abort, some won't, but if you do nothing, a baby happens.

Adeye is going to a whole bunch of trouble to implant frozen embryos. Default situation in her case is, no baby ever gets formed from those embryos. There ARE not any disabled kids there suffering or wanting a mom or anything.

The adoptions of disabled kids (actual living kids) is different, I do think she fetishizes it in the extreme and that she's getting way overstretched, but the discussion is at least about actual brains in actual kids that exist and can be suffering (and have the potential to experience joy, also) and prefer to live in a family.

I just don't get the motivation for someone to say "look at me, I'm going to implant embryos that quite likely have genetic issues, to show how open-minded I am." I mean, heck, there are plenty more actual already born disabled kids still in orphanages aren't there? Ones who exist and might actually be suffering and wanting a mom?

...which makes me wonder, maybe that's precisely it - has she been rejected from adopting due to too many kids already or age or whatever and this is the only way she can continue?

But there's some families out there with far more kids so I dunno...

DS has a wide range, yeah.

What's weird to me about this case though is that (at least by my heathen beliefs) there IS no kid(s). When someone has a prenatal test come back showing DS, things are already actively "installed" and progressing on the way to forming a baby. Sure, some people will abort, some won't, but if you do nothing, a baby happens.

Adeye is going to a whole bunch of trouble to implant frozen embryos. Default situation in her case is, no baby ever gets formed from those embryos. There ARE not any disabled kids there suffering or wanting a mom or anything.

The adoptions of disabled kids (actual living kids) is different, I do think she fetishizes it in the extreme and that she's getting way overstretched, but the discussion is at least about actual brains in actual kids that exist and can be suffering (and have the potential to experience joy, also) and prefer to live in a family.

I just don't get the motivation for someone to say "look at me, I'm going to implant embryos that quite likely have genetic issues, to show how open-minded I am." I mean, heck, there are plenty more actual already born disabled kids still in orphanages aren't there? Ones who exist and might actually be suffering and wanting a mom?

...which makes me wonder, maybe that's precisely it - has she been rejected from adopting due to too many kids already or age or whatever and this is the only way she can continue?

But there's some families out there with far more kids so I dunno...

I think Adeye likes to one up other people, and also go more and more extreme. Every time she adopts a child with more severe needs than the next-the first adopted child doesn't have any disabilities, then they have one who is mute, then she adopted two children from an abusive orphanage who have Down Syndrome...she really one upped all that when adopting Hasya (alongside a little boy with Down Syndrome), who has been so severely neglected that she is a teenager who weighs the same and functions on the level of a baby. Hasya was the most severely disabled child anyone can ever imagine, so she could do nothing to top that. Other than a quadruplet pregnancy that will likely result in kids with disabilities, and not only that, they were adopted as embryos, wow, look how pro life they are, adopting embryos as if they are babies as even the tiniest life matters. None of the other child collectors are willing to adopt multiple embryos.

This.

Both my oldest were in "gifted" programs. In the younger grades special gifted rescource teachers would visits the classrooms and do activities with the kids. The classroom teachers had them in their own reading groups. Later they had accellerated math classes. When our district got in financial trouble and cut gifted, they cut the teachers, or they became classroom teachers. They still had advanced reading groups, and advanced math classrooms. My nephew who truly is gifted and has a genius IQ lives in a different district. He was bumped up a grade, then would do math with an older grade. By the time he was in sixth grade he was bussed to the HS for math. The district must accommodate children who have genuinely high IQ's.When those kids are identified parents have the right to advocate for them. The district bussed him. The fact is less people have genius IQs than special needs. If your kid really needs more, there are ways to help them without a gifted program. And many schools and classrooms still do things for them.The thing is many parents think their kids are super extra smart. I have known parents who insisted their kids are geniuses and had them tested privately then got real quiet when they turned out average.

My husband runs a youth soccer club I cannot begin to tell you how many parents come to him about their kids prowess on the field. I also can tell you none of them were any better than average. At times some were appallingly aweful.

Quite frankly the kids who were identified as gifted don't seem a whole lot better off in HS than the average kids. None of the last three valedictorians at our HS were ever in gifted programs. I don't know anything about the previouse ones.( my oldest daughter's class was the last to have the gifted program through Jr. High)

Both my oldest were in "gifted" programs. In the younger grades special gifted rescource teachers would visits the classrooms and do activities with the kids. The classroom teachers had them in their own reading groups. Later they had accellerated math classes. When our district got in financial trouble and cut gifted, they cut the teachers, or they became classroom teachers. They still had advanced reading groups, and advanced math classrooms. My nephew who truly is gifted and has a genius IQ lives in a different district. He was bumped up a grade, then would do math with an older grade. By the time he was in sixth grade he was bussed to the HS for math. The district must accommodate children who have genuinely high IQ's.When those kids are identified parents have the right to advocate for them. The district bussed him. The fact is less people have genius IQs than special needs. If your kid really needs more, there are ways to help them without a gifted program. And many schools and classrooms still do things for them.The thing is many parents think their kids are super extra smart. I have known parents who insisted their kids are geniuses and had them tested privately then got real quiet when they turned out average.

My husband runs a youth soccer club I cannot begin to tell you how many parents come to him about their kids prowess on the field. I also can tell you none of them were any better than average. At times some were appallingly aweful.

Quite frankly the kids who were identified as gifted don't seem a whole lot better off in HS than the average kids. None of the last three valedictorians at our HS were ever in gifted programs. I don't know anything about the previouse ones.( my oldest daughter's class was the last to have the gifted program through Jr. High)

Agreeing with the bolded.

Having been in and out of gifted programs myself, I can't really say how much good it does but I do feel that students classified as "gifted" are more ABLE to help themselves learn as opposed to kids with disabilities. Special Ed programs are also often a huge support to families.

I also don't know how gifted gifted is. I mean, IQ is certainly going out of vogue, as is the idea of quantifying intelligence. I also saw a lot of kids crash and burn under the weight of being told how smart they are and there are more studies coming out showing that telling kids they're just inherently smart is not good for development, academic or otherwise.

There are also other ways, as mentioned, to help out truly gifted students without an entire program. One, I remember, was like a reading-buddy program. If you could read well, you got a younger student who was struggling and you'd try to read together. Clearly, this could go badly but as patience and sharing what you know was emphasized, it worked well for bother parties (I found it enriching, anyway).

Independent study is also coming in vogue and I think that will help, too, for students who want to pursue more into a subject.

But I feel it comes down to the fact that kids with disabilities vitally *need* programs and gifted kids are *enriched* by them. To put it down to who could "do more" is just kind of dystopian esque. Gifted kids are already ahead.

So a basic search sais less than 1% of the population has a genius IQ. Apparently I have a superior IQ. Funny thing is. I was never in the gifted program at my school and actually flunked seventh grade. I have a rather severe learning disability. Like talent IQ only means something if you have motivation, and depends on your personality too. One of the best players in the soccer club my husband runs is getting passed by less talented kids because she is lazy not a bad kid but not motivated to work hard at all. The kids who work really hard are blowing by her. I imagine intelligence is the same.

Art was also cut from out curriculum. So teachers do art projects and parents volunteer for Art Awareness. As an AA volunteer I expose the kids to artists, and we'll known pieces of art. I also teach concepts like rythm, value, perspective, and other actual art terms. Our paid art teachers only did projects with them and did not actually expose the kids to artists and real art terminology. We also had parents volunteer and run gym classes. I think it oust things in perspective about the way districts spend money.

I'm typing on my phone and look downright illiterate. I am only partially illiterate.

So a basic search sais less than 1% of the population has a genius IQ. Apparently I have a superior IQ. Funny thing is. I was never in the gifted program at my school and actually flunked seventh grade. I have a rather severe learning disability. Like talent IQ only means something if you have motivation, and depends on your personality too. One of the best players in the soccer club my husband runs is getting passed by less talented kids because she is lazy not a bad kid but not motivated to work hard at all. The kids who work really hard are blowing by her. I imagine intelligence is the same. .

I think you hit on some very important points. One that people often don't even think about is that the same kid can be Both " gifted" AND have " special needs" as defined by their school. If you take a brilliant kid, who also has severe ADHD, then what? Or if you have a 10 year old who can remember everything, has advanced reasoning and abstract thinking skills and could write an analysis of historical events that would put a University Professor to shame -- but their printing and spelling are that of a 1st grader- what do you do with that kid?

I was in gifted programs as a kid. I had fun and enjoyed them. But I think my kids who were less traditionally academic would have benefitted a lot more from being able to have a more personalized, creative, out-of-the-box learning experience. I already tested well. Well, at least until Jr. High when I turned my energy to being a druggie bad kid drop out. I did however, get to hear about 1 million times how I wasn't " living up to my potential". And didn't find it too difficult to go to college despite having virtually no high school education.

Individualized learning in multiple modalities seems the way to go for ALL kids -- but sadly with the extreme emphasis on standardized testing -- it seems less and less likely that schools will go that direction.

I think the entire way we do education needs to be scrapped and rebuilt from the ground up.

That's interesting. What would your vision look like?

I'm not 100% sure. I have some ideas but not a whole system in place.

I'd do away with the grade system first off, it's very dated. Put into place at around 1900 or so (a fact I seriously wanted to call up and tell the producer of the Laura Ingalls wilder tv show.) I think children learn at their own pace, and it just makes them feel bad if someone is a bit behind. As long as a kid DOES learn to read I don't think it matters if it happens at age 8 instead of age 6/7.

Second, I'd have things be more self paced, with the teacher there more for answering questions than lecturing, though at lower levels some of that might be more necessary. Like elementary students might need a group talk on how to divide, and then most class time would be at your own lace.

I'd also have students sorted out into groups based on how they learn: is the student more visual or oral? Do they learn best by reading or being shown movies?

I've also read some books that suggest children should start a bit later rather than earlier, because when they're older they're a bit more ready for it, and could potentially learn more things faster. I'm it sure that's true but is like to explore it.

I also am against homework. If you can't teach it to me in class, why should you take up my time outside of class? As an adult, I don't take my work home with me at the end of the day (unless I plan to eat it, haha.) I think it's an unnecessary burden on children and also outdated.

After that my ideas sorta peter out. I just really think he way we do education in America needs to change.

But as you can see, my ideas are very unpopular.

Archived