IGNORED

Laura Ingalls Wilder and submission

saraelise

Ah, the memories. I liked the Little House books okay - we read them aloud as a family when i was little - but I hated Pa for the longest time because he whipped Laura in that first book and I thought it was so stupid. lol. I preferred funnier books as a kid - like The Great Brain books, I loved those!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, the memories. I liked the Little House books okay - we read them aloud as a family when i was little - but I hated Pa for the longest time because he whipped Laura in that first book and I thought it was so stupid. lol. I preferred funnier books as a kid - like The Great Brain books, I loved those!

I hated Ma. I felt like she was trying to kill Laura's spirit and take all of the fun out of everything. Looking back she wasn't all that bad I guess.

In the Little House books I read diptheria (the disease that ended up crippling Almanzo) as diarrhea for many years as a kid. I could never understand how diarrhea could affect someone so badly!

:lol: This made me laugh, but at the same time, diarrhea did take plenty of lives. Never heard of it crippling anyone though!

I know but that was one of the causes listed though he was always sickly.Since so many Babies boys died in that family some people think their was a genetic problem but it the diarrhea could have been a symptom of many illnesses

Ma was very Victorian and was was trying to make ladies out of them.But Mary was her daughter and Laura was Pa's :)

I think Ma basically wanted her daughters to be educated and have some class. Living out in the sticks, I suppose it would be easy to just let the kids run wild, let the house get dirty, forget about schooling, and become stereotypical barefoot bumpkins. But Ma wouldn't have any of that. I agree that Laura was Pa's daughter, but as she grew older she started caring about wearing stylish clothes and having nice things, so Ma's influence did show up eventually.

Those reviews at that Keeps of the Faith website make Laura sound transgendered, simply because she was a little tomboyish. I never got the impression that Laura wanted to actually be a boy; she just wanted more freedom to run around. If she were growing up today, probably be on the local girls' soccer and softball teams and no one would think there was anything unusual about any of it, except for the whacko fundies.

:lol: This made me laugh, but at the same time, diarrhea did take plenty of lives. Never heard of it crippling anyone though!

Sounds like you two have never had diarrhea after eating hot wings, chili and beer. You will swear flames are still shooting out of you a week later. :shock:

Archived