IGNORED

Laura Ingalls Wilder and submission

saraelise

Manny was crippled but could still walk and run the farm, though on some days he couldn't get out of bed due to the pain. There are photos of him standing, walking and driving when older, so he wasn't confined to a wheelchair or anything.

I've reread the books several times in adulthood but still prefer Farmer Boy above all the others. The only problem with that is I always get so hungry reading that book and then depressed that Almanzo's mother really was the best mom ever. At least when it came to cooking and running a house.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the things to realize about the Ingalls is that they were usually quite poor (Pa never really succeeded as a farmer, and Laura's loving prose about food is probably a symptom of chronic hunger as a child), which meant they didn't have the luxury of keeping their womenfolk from paid work. That was more of a middle-class luxury.

Guest Anonymous

On UrbanExodus LEW is held forth as a learning resource for contemporary homesteaders. I've attempted to post some counter arguments over there but to no avail. Gabriel hasn't banned me yet, just put me in limbo. LoL

It was on our banned reading list when I was a kid. Laura and her sister Carrie apparently were too "worldly" and "exuberant" for them to be considered good role models. I read the suckers anyway - I have uber-liberal grandparents who thought my parents were wacked!

Here's a question I saw on another Laura discussion-Would Laura have gotten along with Ann Shirley? The answer most people thought was no because Ann's day dreaming and chatter would have got on Laura's nerves quick :lol: And Ann really did become an Ideal VF upper middle class wife so Laura might have privately though she was more decoration than use,so to speak.

Here's a question I saw on another Laura discussion-Would Laura have gotten along with Ann Shirley? The answer most people thought was no because Ann's day dreaming and chatter would have got on Laura's nerves quick :lol: And Ann really did become an Ideal VF upper middle class wife so Laura might have privately though she was more decoration than use,so to speak.

Laura would have been friends in childhood but stuck Ann in the leach pond until she learned to cut loose for a change. If Ann couldn't change then Laura would have left her on the pond to be eaten by wolves.

I read Little House, Elsie (until they got boring and full of mostly nothing but Revolutionary War history), one or two Henty, every single Horatio Alger I could find, and lots of other old books from the twenties and so. Never heard of Mandie though. My parents also tried to get me to read Beautiful Girlhood but I don't think I finished it, if I even started. I preferred reading every single Lang fairy book.

I think that fundies consider a woman that is in any way independent in thought as being unfeminine. I think it said that Jane Austen would hide in a room with a creaky door while writing so she could hide her writing if anyone should come in the room. I think that even smart fundies girls would have to hide any spunk they had to cater to the menfolk ego.

Laura would have been friends in childhood but stuck Ann in the leach pond until she learned to cut loose for a change. If Ann couldn't change then Laura would have left her on the pond to be eaten by wolves.

Yikes! Anyone who read the books knows it's AnnE - spelled with an E! ;)

Well, Laura also allows Almanzo to kiss her once they are engaged. :snooty: :shock:

Oh! Aaaaand they go off together for hours and hours every Sunday in the buggy with no chaperone. The hussy. Which totally makes me suspect that the "We're engaged so you may kiss me now" scene was fabricated for the book. ;)

Yes but remember when he tried to get cheeky and put his arm around her before the engagement, she intentionally spooked the horses so he would need both hands to drive.

As I recall, she goes away to boarding school, breaks lots of rules, doesn't consult her dad about much of anything, and has a boyfriend. I liked them as a pre-teen too.

I suppose banning all fiction is the inevitable result of the stricter-than-thou wars.

I agree with you on that.

Re: Mandie - As I recall, she was pretty self-sufficient. She also had some great outdoorsy adventures that weren't terribly girly. I actually found those way more fun than the boarding school. And didn't she go to college at the end?

Crystal's old site "Biblical Womanhood" had some discussion of the Little House books and whether they are appropriate for doormattedness.

I think Crystal herself reads them to the daughters.

Some of the fundies, though, had flagged them as insufficiently dour.

I laughed at this. So funny the way you said it.

What could they possibly have against the Mandie books? I loved them as a (fundie-lite) teen. I look back on them now and roll my eyes in horror that I ever read them, but I guess that's growing up for you. :) It's been a long while, but I honestly can't remember anything objectionable.

Seriously! We had a ton of "acceptable" books and my parents were part of the "make your kids perfect" movement. I really think some kids from this generation don't even have a chance they will be so brainwashed. It's mind control, I tell you!

See, I never read Anne's books. :doh:

They are really good. I need to read them again. Although the internet really cuts into what use do be my reading time...

My understanding is that the idea of "delicate womanhood" is entirely an upper-class Victorian affectation.

Most of the women throughout history have been sturdy peasants.

(Also, did anyone here read Caddie Woodlawn?)

Laura Ingalls Wilder would NOT have approved the fundie lifestyle. Here's why I say that: She ran for public office in Mansfield, MO, she is reputed to have a "flaring" temper, and actually HELD A JOB as a columnist for the "Missouri Ruralist." In one of these articles she wrote her scathing thoughts about woman, who, up on learning Rose had gotten divorced said to Laura, "Now she'll have to earn her own living." This INCENSED Laura. Laura was also very vocal about her support for public schools. I doubt highly the fundies would ever find this compilation of writings by LIW, because that would require a visit to the NON-FICTION section of their public library. In fact, I kind of hope they don't ever find out this stuff about LIW, because then I'm sure they'd stop letting their kids read them. I also think, based on what I know about LIW's life, that she'd heartily disapprove of the way fundies raise their kids, especially their girls.

I liked Caddie Woodlawn until she realized that she needed to stop being a tomboy and enjoy sitting around in big dresses. Granted, I haven't read it in a long time, but that's the message I got as a kid.

Here's a fun website about why lots of popular books--Narnia, Elsie, Grandma's Attic, Tolkien, Little House, Anne, Mandie, etc--are evil. keepersofthefaith.com/category/BookReviews.html I can't imagine there are any books that these people would let their kids read. Personally, I'd be more worried about the racism in the Little House books, but that doesn't get a mention.

I liked Caddie Woodlawn until she realized that she needed to stop being a tomboy and enjoy sitting around in big dresses. Granted, I haven't read it in a long time, but that's the message I got as a kid.

Here's a fun website about why lots of popular books--Narnia, Elsie, Grandma's Attic, Tolkien, Little House, Anne, Mandie, etc--are evil. keepersofthefaith.com/category/BookReviews.html I can't imagine there are any books that these people would let their kids read. Personally, I'd be more worried about the racism in the Little House books, but that doesn't get a mention.

read the second book, that staying sweet bit didn't last long. Also it was about growing pains of becoming a tom-boy turned young lady. That can be hard for a lot of girls who are tom-boys. One day your a girl having fun with the boys and the next you have breasts and think the batter is hawt.

I did read the second book, it's just been a long time. I should read it again; perhaps I can get a child to accompany me to the library so I don't feel silly going in the children's section alone.

I did read the second book, it's just been a long time. I should read it again; perhaps I can get a child to accompany me to the library so I don't feel silly going in the children's section alone.

Hold your head up high and admit the truth. I am a huge fan of some children's and YA books. I head to those sections first for light humorus reads.

Oh! Aaaaand they go off together for hours and hours every Sunday in the buggy with no chaperone.

IIRC, Laura was only 15 the first time Manny (Manly!) offered to drive her home from church in his buggy. I think Ma gasped in horror and Pa said it was okay because of some reason, and her little sisters stood there w/ their mouths open.

15 is awful young to be dating!

Archived