IGNORED

Are You Ever Envious of the Duggars?

It'sFunToRun

I envy having a big family. No way would I want 18 siblings but a few more would be nice.

I must also confess that days I feel fat I envy their conservative outfits :lol: Oh and I also wish I could play a instrument.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I envy their opportunities to travel, which they sadly waste with their close mindedness. Ditto their kitchen, wasted on tater tot casserole and canned foods. With paper plates even though they have dishwashers (I think? Not to mention plenty of people old enough to hand wash dishes).

I have a feeling they are not on municipal water, use well water and have to watch water consumption. With just bathing and laundry they probably use a tremendous amount of water.

I don't know about envious, because material things in no way make up for the way women are treated. (although not having to worry about paying my rent, electricity and car payment every month would certainly take a lot of my stress off)

But its like Lily says to Mia in the "Princess Diaries". About how Lily herself wants to change the world, but her voice only reaches like 10 people. But if Mia accepts being a princess, she could use her voice (and her status) to do so many good things.

There are literally hundreds of good, legit causes that the Duggars could use their voices and their marketing power for, and they don't. If I had their ability, I would be using it to rock the charity circuit and do as much good for others as I possibly could. And not just "Godly" stuff. Women's shelters, animal shelters, the volunteer fire dept that their own kids work for (donations are probably always needed for equipment and stuff), other children's hospitals around the nation. The Duggars speak, for all the wrong reasons, and their voices get heard.

I really hope that some of them see the light and stop being fundie, for this reason. The Duggars have raised kids that are so passionate and so vocal about causes, but these kids don't realise that they are putting their energy into causes that are making the world a worse place, and hurting others. Imagine if they switched sides and worked against fundamentalism? They could do so much good.

I can sometimes be envious of the father-daughter relationship the girls have with Jim Bob, as weird as that sounds. It's a controlling, creepy relationship that no doubt is problematic in many ways, but I think I'd rather an overbearing father who cares too much about what I do than one who never really cared about his children at all.

I'm jealous of their debt-free status, too. Just about all of the money I earn gets pumped right back out of my bank account these days, which is really depressing to say the least.

I dont think they tell the entire truth about being debt -free. There's no way Id rather have an over controlling parent who is manipulative and could be emotionally/physically abusive.

I am necro'ing this thread because lately I think I am envious of Jill and Jessa, and I'm hoping the confession to FJ will clear my conscience.

1. Brand new newlyweds given a McMansion and fairly decent house rent free.

2. No discernible source of support other than 19kac yet Paris honeymoon for Benessa.

3. Loads of support for wedding and baby - volunteers, gifts, TLC.

4. Some kind of money, obv TLC money, to not have to work a regular job. Even Derick gets an inordinate amount of time off considering he is still in his first year of employment. Regular schlubs like me might get one week off after one year.

5. Hubs who stick around for the kids. Neither Jim Bob nor Derick would be my cup of tea but at least JB obviously stuck around for a boatload of kids, and Derick seems happy and excited for his first child. Trying really hard to get past this one, that is water long under the bridge but still... one of those wounds that scabbed over but never healed.

6. Not having to worry about how next month's bills will get paid. Unemployed since Feb and really starting to panic at having ZERO calls or interviews.

Really pissy mood this Easter morning.

Im not at all envious. Yea they get a Mcmansion ,but Boob is still in command. Id rather be in debt and struggling for the better part of my life and I at least have control over my choices. I owe thousands on this house but it's MINE.I wouldn't trade my life for any degree of comfort in that controlling cult. I see them a privileged but they have so few choices.

I envy having a big family. No way would I want 18 siblings but a few more would be nice.

I must also confess that days I feel fat I envy their conservative outfits :lol: Oh and I also wish I could play a instrument.

You can dress modestly any time you want. You don't have to be conservative/fundie to not want to reveal yourself physical self to everyone.

I have everything and more than I need right now, but if I have to pick I'd say the girls' ability to do their hair and how easy it seems for most of them to stay thin. Of course between office work and call I may work anywhere from 40-120 hrs a week so that doesn't leave much time for hair curling or much else other than sleeping when possible. From a more serious standpoint, I envy how easy it seems for them to conceive as my ob has already warned me we will likely need help.

I wouldn't mind having a few million dollars but would not want to live in that home or that lifestyle, whether I were male or female, for all the money in the world.

The Duggars probably get a lot of envy from other people in the cult who are struggling to just survive. They're the ones at the top of the pyramid scheme of that lifestyle. :lol: Almost no one else will attain it, but the cult makes a big deal out of the few who do to keep the others on their hamster wheels

Yes. I believe I would be envious if I was another huge fundie family practically living in poverty and then witnessing what the Duggars have accumulated.

I don't envy them because their lifestyle is quite removed from what my experience would be here in Southern California. I am a Christian, so I can relate to some of their beliefs/ways although I can't relate to the Gothard stuff. The truth is, they're geniuses in a sense the way they have capitalized on their public interest.

I do think the girls have great hair...

I can't help but think that the teenage-ish Duggars (maybe Joy Anna and up) could be just a bit open-minded about even the small things, like the girls wearing pants and the guys wearing shorts, they would be jealous of us. I can't imagine not having freedom to spend my money, that I earn, to get into my own car whenever I feel like it, ALONE, and go to the store, or to be able to be alone with my boyfriend. To watch movies and see plays and read books that are for entertainment, but do so much more than simply entertain me.

I am envious that they never had to work tedious, minimum wage jobs, y them I mean the boys because the girls are busy being unpaid nannies for their parents. I am also slightly envious that they never had to suffer middle school or high school P.E., lame I know. I envy Jim Bob and Michelle their money and easy slide into real estate. That's about it.

I am really surprised how many people envy them their blind faith. That is probably the thing I would envy the least. I am an atheist and struggled for years to finally accept that nothing and no one could make me believe. Sometimes life sucks and one of the worst is losing someone you love. However, the rational knowledge that this is it, I will never see them again, makes me cherish every minute I do have. Why would I give that up and risk missing out on vital opportunities in this life for a dream that can't be fulfilled.

I envy them for having family to turn to constantly.

I lost my mom to medical malpractice almost four years ago, and although my extended family and I were fairly close before the loss of her, it's like I got completely abandoned by everyone but my dad after it happened.

I'd kill to have even one sibling, honestly.

I envy them their illusion of close family bonds. As an only child, there are times I'd like to have the reality of that (with fewer kids, say 4-6). I get some of that from my aunts, uncles and cousins the few times a year we all get together, but then the event is over and I go home to a different state. Logically I know I'm an introvert and being that close constantly would drive me nuts, but I'd love to be part of a big, boisterous family that meets at Grandma's house for Sunday dinner every week.

I wish I had more siblings (I have one), so in that respect I envy the Duggars a tad. I'm also jealous at the number of children Michelle was able to safely have. I'd love to have more but had pretty serious complications following each of my births, so I'm pretty much forced to stop at two. It's better to be around for the ones I have than risk my life trying to give them another sibling. I'm envious that Michelle didn't have to make that choice until she got to #19.

You can dress modestly any time you want. You don't have to be conservative/fundie to not want to reveal yourself physical self to everyone.

Exactly! If you like the way they dress, feel free to emulate that. And if you want to learn an instrument, then go for it. Most cities have people or places where you can go and be taught an instrument like guitar or piano or whatever one on one. Check with your local music instruments stores. They usually have musicians on staff that teach.

I don't envy the Duggars, although I wish I had some extended family to get together with over holidays and such. Holidays can be very difficult when you don't have family and all the stores are closed and everyone is visiting relatives, etc. But no, the way they limit their kids and lie to them about science (Jim Bob even admitted this in an episode...was it the Creation Science Museum one?) and don't encourage them to get an education or follow their own dreams and passions. I think it's horrible the way they raise them with so many restrictions. Dominating much? No thank you! And the world needs less hate and less bigotry and ignorance, not more!

no nothing, i dont want more than 1 kid which i have already. I would like a bigger space but not as big as the tth.

I wish I had a sister like Jana. But not at the expense of having to grow up in a Fundie family.

I guess I envy how close to each other they all seem. That must be nice.

I'm the same age as Jessa. I'm about to graduate, and had to overload on credits to do it relatively on time.

Sometimes I'm envious that..

-She got a house handed to her when I live with my parents to save money.

-That she got an all-expenses paid honeymoon to Europe, and my future husband and I will have to pay for it ourselves.

-That she can play house all day with her new husband, making smoothies and curling her hair while I spend all day in the library writing papers.

Then I remember that..

-I was able to enjoy my childhood, rather than raise my siblings.

-That I've never been used as a prop in a cult

-That if I want to get a job, move out, support myself (and go into debt doing so), I totally have that option. I don't have to wait until my father finds me a husband he can control.

-I can wear, do, and believe what I want without getting censured by family cult members.

-I chose the life I have, and look forward to what those choices will bring me. She didn't have options like that.

So, my envy fades pretty quickly. I also like all the scandalous hand holding and pre-marital kissing that comes with being a not-Duggar :dance:

My inner child is endlessly jealous of their little secret rooms in their house. I always wanted a fort like the boys have above their room and the indoor playground. But other than that, no. I've thought about it a lot. And I just can't fathom it.

(Oh, and also, I LOVE wearing skirts and dresses. I'd be down for that, modesty and all.)

Having freedom to be myself is worth more to me than anything they have. I have never been a big fan of traditional gender roles.

I truly hope that some of those poor kids escape from the family cult someday.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm have a bit of envy from time to time mostly for the opportunities that they have in traveling and helping out those in need (ie. Central America) but in no way would I ever want to be in a show like that. I also have a very small family and have a bit of envy for some of the close sisterly relationships and as someone said before it was nice to see the girls married and the experience of having someone else helping them out like that and honestly missing them.

I am in no way envious of the indoctrination they go through, the lack of parenting at times, the lack of an outside education, the lack of freedom or privacy or personal decisions that you should be allowed to make for yourself.

I envy Jill and Jessa's houses. They always look so impeccable, while Mr Alba and I have minor hoarding tendencies in a 600 sq ft flat. Then I remember that being employed as a real adult means I can just pay someone to come in and clean for me which, to be honest, TLC may well do before filming.

I still want Jessa's kitchen, though :P

Archived