IGNORED

Are You Ever Envious of the Duggars?

It'sFunToRun

There are plenty of little things I am envious of, but I wouldn't switch lives with them or anything, because there are also plenty of things I don't want. So these are all things I'd like to have, but not if I had to give up things in my own life, like my education and my job.

For example, I'm envious that they have plenty of siblings to turn to and be close to. I have two younger brothers, and as we've grown up, they have grown closer while I have realized that a sister or two would be nice. But I don't want 18 siblings, more like.. 1 or 2 more. In the same vein, I would like to be a part of a big community like they are. Their lifestyle seems to mean that most of them have a very strong sense of belonging, and they have friends and acquiantances everywhere. I'd like that, even though I'm very much an introvert. Just the whole feeling like you belong somewhere, and having a built-in support group from an early age. Of course, for me being in their "support group" would be stifling because I don't share their beliefs, but a community like that who I shared beliefs with would be great.

I would also love to have their travel opportunities, and their financial freedom. I would also love to have as much free time (as in not dictated by an employer) as they do, but I like my job, so. Yeah.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if I agree; it's not like they have jobs, then they come home and in their spare time instead of relaxing they have to do that nonsense. That nonsense IS their job, and it's a lot less demanding than the shit actors (or other people with jobs) have to deal with on an everyday basis.

I know that nonsense IS their job(s), but it is so weird to see all those people and none of them go to school or work -- except Derick. He's really the weird one, what with that job and all. Or, as EGG would say, Derick is their JOB-TYPE FRIEND. :lol:

I guess JD works at his towing job, but do we ever see it? It's probably too boring to even make the cut of this show. Damn, that's boring.

All those Duggars with all the time in world for foolish hijinks like trying to shoot a bow while being handcuffed. With the exception of Derick, these people contribute nothing to society except adding more people. Why would I look up to their lifestyle?

:doh:

I guess JD works at his towing job, but do we ever see it? It's probably too boring to even make the cut of this show. Damn, that's boring.

JD is not really on the show so who knows?

It wouldn't suprise me if they didn't have him on because he's not attractive as his older sister... :angry-banghead:

I worked at a towing company when I was 20 and it's boring as heck. Lots of sitting around doing jack squat, waiting for phone calls.

JD is a Washington County Constable. Wonder if he works that like a regular job?

http://www.arconstableassociation.com/washington/

He's not making any money. When you read about what they do there's this little nugget:

Even though a Constable is by law required to perform many and sundry duties and is liable, under the same law, for the failure to perform these duties, they receive little or no pay, no monies for expenses, and are required to provide their own uniforms, equipment, and transportation. This is neither morally nor legally acceptable but it is the way of things at this particular time.

RE Bolded: WTH Arkansas? You are asking people to do something that is not legally acceptable? Every township in the state has one of these people.

He's not making any money. When you read about what they do there's this little nugget:

Even though a Constable is by law required to perform many and sundry duties and is liable, under the same law, for the failure to perform these duties, they receive little or no pay, no monies for expenses, and are required to provide their own uniforms, equipment, and transportation. This is neither morally nor legally acceptable but it is the way of things at this particular time.

RE Bolded: WTH Arkansas? You are asking people to do something that is not legally acceptable? Every township in the state has one of these people.

Where I used to live in AR, the fire department and some first aid group were volunteer based. The people in the ambulance got paid of course, but if you live way out in the sticks and it will take the ambulance 40 minutes to find you, then they'll check whether a volunteer lives fifteen minutes away, and if so, he'll come over in his truck and give care until the ambulance arrives.

So a constable is a "voluntary police officer" ? Is a contable authorized to arrest and hold people or use live arm? Because I could see that REALLY REALLY clashing with the way JD´s being raised and educated.

The "required to provide their own uniforms, equipment, and transportation." is pretty sick, but I suppose that just means usually the county or city pays for that instead of the national police department. Or did Jim Bob buy JD´s constable car … ?

Where I used to live in AR, the fire department and some first aid group were volunteer based. The people in the ambulance got paid of course, but if you live way out in the sticks and it will take the ambulance 40 minutes to find you, then they'll check whether a volunteer lives fifteen minutes away, and if so, he'll come over in his truck and give care until the ambulance arrives.

Even volunteer fire fighters and first responders don't have to provide all of their own equipment. I served for 15 years as a volley and there were a few things I purchased out of my own pocket but most of it was bought by the department with funds from tax revenue. We were held to the same standards as the paid people but we didn't have to provide our own stuff. That's the part that blows my mind, a law enforcement officer having to provide all of his/her own stuff.

So a constable is a "voluntary police officer" ? Is a contable authorized to arrest and hold people or use live arm? Because I could see that REALLY REALLY clashing with the way JD´s being raised and educated.

The "required to provide their own uniforms, equipment, and transportation." is pretty sick, but I suppose that just means usually the county or city pays for that instead of the national police department. Or did Jim Bob buy JD´s constable car … ?

It doesn't go into a lot of in depth info on what they do. It just says they are responsible for seeing all laws of the county, state, and country are upheld. My understanding is the county doesn't provide anything. We don't have a national police department outside of the FBI. Each city, county, and state is responsible for their own law enforcement. Most fund the department with tax revenue. I'd be interested to see the township's budget. I may have to digging to find it.

It doesn't go into a lot of in depth info on what they do. It just says they are responsible for seeing all laws of the county, state, and country are upheld. My understanding is the county doesn't provide anything. We don't have a national police department outside of the FBI. Each city, county, and state is responsible for their own law enforcement. Most fund the department with tax revenue. I'd be interested to see the township's budget. I may have to digging to find it.

Thx for the clarification. Are townships entitled to take private donations for funding? Like from a wealthy reality TV star? How much power does Jim Bob actually hold in that little quaint town they are living? :think:

Well dang. Just when you thought it might actually be something normal...

Every place I've lived in TX, the county constables have been actual law enforcement. They usually patrol in the unincorporated county, ofc, but if they cruise around a city they have all their police powers there too.

It's a regular paid job.

I'll admit that I am. Not entirely of course because I'm glad I'm not a Christian, and I wouldn't want to wear Wholesome wear for swimming, but in one way I am. I'm living away from my family now and it's lonely and I wish I had 18 brothers and sisters, even if I had to help them get dressed and cook for them, because I love people and I prefer being busy to be alone.

I'm really envious that Jill got Jana to go with her to her midwifery training. I wish I had a sister who would go with me to my studies, that would be AWESOME. I don't even like going to the grocery store alone, and the Duggar girls don't have to. When I get married, I want to have bunch of children. Maybe not nineteen, but like at least five so that they will always have someone to play with and keep them company.

Is there anything about the Duggars that you would like to replicate in your life or in your family?

I've given this some serious thought since I first noticed this thread a while back. To be honest, there are some things that I envy them for.

- The trips they take and places they go. I wish I could travel to all these different locations, but I have financial, professional, and personal obligations that prevent that. The fact that some of the Duggars don't really appreciate the cultures they are experiencing drives me crazy.

- Their absolute certainty about Faith. I wish I knew what I believed, but I don't. I seem to be caught between Atheism and wanting to believe there is something more out there. I hate that the kids are so indoctrinated, but also kind of envious that they never seem to struggle with that.

- That their courting and engagements take such a short amount of time. My FI and I will be married November 7 of next year. By the time of our wedding we will have been together over 8 years. It took this long for a bunch of reasons (finances being a big part and finishing college another), but it really does make me jealous to see Jill and Jessa zooming through these milestones so quickly. I have to remind myself that it isn't a race and we made decisions that were best for us and our situation, but its still tough.

- And, finally, their fertility. FI and I have settled on two kids because of how much it costs to raise them. We haven't started trying for kids yet, but I am really jealous of how easy it seems to be for the Duggar women to get pregnant. It's like they think about wanting a baby immediately after marriage and it just magically falls into their uterus.

I wish I could give Michelle's fertility to my friends/family who are struggling in that area.

I think she just ran out of it.

I think she just ran out of it.

Replace Michelle with Jill and maybe FreeHannie could give that?

It breaks my heart to see people who really want kids and struggle. Here we have Mullet having kids all for the sake of getting to 20 (for the attention) and she doesn't give a hoot about 17 of her 19 children. Mullet and Boob are not fit to be parents and do not deserve the blessings they have been given!

• 5 months later...

I am necro'ing this thread because lately I think I am envious of Jill and Jessa, and I'm hoping the confession to FJ will clear my conscience.

1. Brand new newlyweds given a McMansion and fairly decent house rent free.

2. No discernible source of support other than 19kac yet Paris honeymoon for Benessa.

3. Loads of support for wedding and baby - volunteers, gifts, TLC.

4. Some kind of money, obv TLC money, to not have to work a regular job. Even Derick gets an inordinate amount of time off considering he is still in his first year of employment. Regular schlubs like me might get one week off after one year.

5. Hubs who stick around for the kids. Neither Jim Bob nor Derick would be my cup of tea but at least JB obviously stuck around for a boatload of kids, and Derick seems happy and excited for his first child. Trying really hard to get past this one, that is water long under the bridge but still... one of those wounds that scabbed over but never healed.

6. Not having to worry about how next month's bills will get paid. Unemployed since Feb and really starting to panic at having ZERO calls or interviews.

Really pissy mood this Easter morning.

The money for nothing. Not having to juggle bills or even think about it to make sure there is food on the table and the heating bill is paid.

The trips. I looooooove to travel. I have been at my job 10 years and I get 5 weeks paid vacation. I usually only take 3/5 because of the cost to travel. Seems like Derek gets 12 weeks after 1 year. And that isn't just time off laying around the mansion ordering pizza in the middle of the day because you're too lazy to take a shower. (I've had those vacations too)

I will say this. I am retired after working for 3.5 decades. My husband makes a very good income...very good. I do not have as much stuff as Jill. I could, but I do not. Jessa has many higher end kitchen items...selling your body, bad. Selling your life, A-OK! What a crock O'crap.

Jill/Derick, and Jess/Ben...why would anyone tune in to see them sell themselves? They offer nothing I want to see. BORING and entitled.

I have a lot of times when I'm busy with my studies. The life of a J'slave just seems so easy then. You're telling me a 16 I get a SUV. Throughout my life I get apple products it's and free trips around the globe. When I'm courting I get no chores and infinite time to text and primp. When I'm married I get a house, slave labor, thousand dollars worth of gifts, and a free honey moon. It just seems so ideal sometimes like all I have I do is be pretty.

Envious? No no way. Though they seem materially comfortable, it would be like living in a fascist state-- no education, no culture, no freedom of thought, constant surveillance and censorship, ridiculous misogyny. It would be like a waking nightmare.

On holidays I feel envious, hardly any family left. I get really depressed. It would be nice to have at least one sister. Otherwise it would be stifling to be in that family.

I can sometimes be envious of the father-daughter relationship the girls have with Jim Bob, as weird as that sounds. It's a controlling, creepy relationship that no doubt is problematic in many ways, but I think I'd rather an overbearing father who cares too much about what I do than one who never really cared about his children at all.

I'm jealous of their debt-free status, too. Just about all of the money I earn gets pumped right back out of my bank account these days, which is really depressing to say the least.

I don't know about envious, because material things in no way make up for the way women are treated. (although not having to worry about paying my rent, electricity and car payment every month would certainly take a lot of my stress off)

But its like Lily says to Mia in the "Princess Diaries". About how Lily herself wants to change the world, but her voice only reaches like 10 people. But if Mia accepts being a princess, she could use her voice (and her status) to do so many good things.

There are literally hundreds of good, legit causes that the Duggars could use their voices and their marketing power for, and they don't. If I had their ability, I would be using it to rock the charity circuit and do as much good for others as I possibly could. And not just "Godly" stuff. Women's shelters, animal shelters, the volunteer fire dept that their own kids work for (donations are probably always needed for equipment and stuff), other children's hospitals around the nation. The Duggars speak, for all the wrong reasons, and their voices get heard.

I envy their opportunities to travel, which they sadly waste with their close mindedness. Ditto their kitchen, wasted on tater tot casserole and canned foods. With paper plates even though they have dishwashers (I think? Not to mention plenty of people old enough to hand wash dishes).

Archived