IGNORED

Are You Ever Envious of the Duggars?

It'sFunToRun

I wouldn't say I'm envious of the Duggars as that seems too intense of a word association for me. But I do see things and occasionally wonder what life would be like if I had their unwavering belief system, ease in getting pregnant/having children, or contentment with their current state in life. They've also gotten to travel to countries I would love to visit and places within the US that I've always wanted to see. So I see things that I'd like in my life but not enough that I'm envious of their lifestyle and wish to emulate it.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think regular people would be jealous. Maybe jealous because they get freebies and money. Duggar humpers might be jealous because they have 19 kids, Michelle can get pregnant easy, their kids are well behaved (yeah right)everything is payed for and they live in a big house with a lot of land. I don't think they deserve a show just because they had 19 kids. The Duggars purposely refuse to use resources because it's sinful, but it's not sinful to use others time and money.

I don't think regular people would be jealous. Maybe jealous because they get freebies and money. Duggar humpers might be jealous because they have 19 kids, Michelle can get pregnant easy, their kids are well behaved (yeah right)everything is payed for and they live in a big house with a lot of land. I don't think they deserve a show just because they had 19 kids. The Duggars purposely refuse to use resources because it's sinful, but it's not sinful to use others time and money.

Another good example of how they are hyprocrites and re-write religious princples to suit them.

There are some things I'm envious of and others that I'm not.

I'm envious of Jill having her dad walk her down the aisle on her wedding day. My dad had passed away five years before.

I'm envious of Jill having her mom help her plan her wedding. My mom had passed 11 years before.

I'm not envious of the land they have. If I wanted to, I too could live on 20 acres. The difference is mine would have to be a working farm. Around here you don't buy 20 acres to have a compound, you buy it because you are starting out a farm.

I'm not envious of their faith. Before my parents passed they made sure they exposed me to many different Christian denominations and encouraged me to pick the one best for me. I ended up going non-denominational. They also taught me to question anything a minister said I didn't find in the Bible. Much of what the Duggars believe isn't found in the Bible but they don't question that. They don't ignore that portion they accept it all. That saddens me.

I'm semi-envious of the financial stability they have. I would like to have that kind of money in the bank but I wouldn't want to give up my freedom to do so.

I certainly don't envy them marrying young. It is becasue they court when they get permission to some guy they barely know. Except for Derrick, couples marry with minimal education. They can't decide to stay single and live on their own, or be a child-free couple.I hardly call getting married at 23 to the first guy our dad introduces, then living in his house, pregnant in one month after years of no kissing a fairytale. I am glad to have a brother, but it doest mean siblings will be there to help parents when the time comes. besides, I would never expect kids to care of care of me in old age.

No one has to accept the order of society. I used to feel the same way and realized I wasn't handed a life script.You can stay single, child-free, or marry and be child-free. It's no one's business.I am glad some of the younger generation is bucking the I must marry and have kids mentality.

I am envious of how they are living the life that fundie's are promised will be theirs with enough faith. Compared to my family and many, many other religious families I know- they are living like kings!

I do think they truly believe their what their religion teaches. I am envious that they have such a strong faith. Which I guess is really silly since I know their faith is not the "one true path" they think it is.

Sometimes I wish I didn't think so much and could accept the Duggars beliefs as firmly and faithfully as they appear to. Sometimes I wish I didn't get that horrified look on my face when the pastor of my church said too much education was a bad thing, to be careful you didn't get Jesus educated out of you... when it was well known that I was attending grad school and taking the cpa exam. It must be easy to just nod in agreement and feel the satisfaction of belonging.

I'll admit that I am. Not entirely of course because I'm glad I'm not a Christian, and I wouldn't want to wear Wholesome wear for swimming, but in one way I am....

Is there anything about the Duggars that you would like to replicate in your life or in your family?

Well, I am a Christian and very glad that I am, but no, I do not feel jealous of the Duggars (well, except for that TLC paycheck, lol.)

Sometimes I wish I didn't think so much and could accept the Duggars beliefs as firmly and faithfully as they appear to. Sometimes I wish I didn't get that horrified look on my face when the pastor of my church said too much education was a bad thing, to be careful you didn't get Jesus educated out of you... when it was well known that I was attending grad school and taking the cpa exam. It must be easy to just nod in agreement and feel the satisfaction of belonging.

That's what makes me :angry-banghead: I don't know where in the Bible it says that one must remain uneducated. Or where people get that notion. How can they seriously believe that God doesn't give the gift of healing to doctors? For the love of God the Bible clearly states that knowledge is one of the gifts of the spirit. They aren't believers they are mindless sheep. If they actually cracked open a Bible they'd realize how much of their "faith" is hogwash.

I wouldn't say I'm jealous of the family perse, but I'm a tiny bit jealous, if I'm honest with myself, of the ease at which Michelle managed to get pregnant. As someone who has and is struggling, it annoys me. At least I'd be responsible with my fertility!

That's what makes me :angry-banghead: I don't know where in the Bible it says that one must remain uneducated. Or where people get that notion. How can they seriously believe that God doesn't give the gift of healing to doctors? For the love of God the Bible clearly states that knowledge is one of the gifts of the spirit. They aren't believers they are mindless sheep. If they actually cracked open a Bible they'd realize how much of their "faith" is hogwash.

In the "our faith is so weak it can't stand up to questioning" verses. :roll: which don't exist.

The only thing I might be a little envious of is that they are so sure of their beliefs. They don't have to think about anything, because everything is explained in their worldview and they completely buy into ALL of it. I am an atheist, so it's not like I agree with them, but that sort of certainty about *everything* might be nice. I over-think a lot of things... like ethical issues. They also don't have to worry about anything, because "god is in control." I worry so much about the state of the world, the state of the planet, etc. and they really don't seem to.

This is exactly the way I feel. I was going to post the same thing but I don't have to because you nailed it.

I'd love to have a big industrial kitchen and a big house, but I'd definitely have more than 3 bedrooms in mine. As for any part of their actual lives, no. I think my life is better.

Only that they seem to be able to make money easily and have provided a really nice home for their kids, and I can't do that, no matter how hard I try.

This is exactly the way I feel. I was going to post the same thing but I don't have to because you nailed it.

The reason the Duggars can sit back and not worry about these things is because others step up and do worry about them and come up with possible solutions to the problems. If we were all just lumps on a log like the Duggars, the world would fall apart.

I would take their money. But if I had to do what they did to get it, I wouldn't want it. Nor would I want to live their lifestyle just to have money. If I had their money, I would put away a ton for the best education I could get my boys, one thing the Duggars would never consider doing sadly.

Other than that, I have two brothers and have NO interest in a gazillion siblings. I have parents who love me and support my choices and independence. I have a masters degree, a wonderful husband and two awesome kids. I grew up Catholic, but I'm an atheist now. Sometimes I miss the community of church, but then I remember all the ridiculous (to me) things you have to believe are real and I cant imagine going back that way.

But I'd take the money! :lol:

I wouldn't say I'm jealous of the family perse, but I'm a tiny bit jealous, if I'm honest with myself, of the ease at which Michelle managed to get pregnant. As someone who has and is struggling, it annoys me. At least I'd be responsible with my fertility!

Oh hell yes!!! I forgot about this one somehow. And as someone who also had crazy early preemies (thankfully not as early as Josie), I am a bit envious that Michelle doesn't have any fear at all of getting pregnant again. I'm not having any more kids because there is NO way I am risking another NICU baby. It wouldn't be fair to me, my current kids, or the new one.

Only that they seem to be able to make money easily and have provided a really nice home for their kids, and I can't do that, no matter how hard I try.

Seriously. My husband works his butt off and is now not only working full time but commuting an hour away to take classes to get his master's degree and we're getting by because we're very frugal and have a good amount in savings, but man... It'd be nice to be able to save up enough money to buy 20 acres PLUS materials for a 7000 square foot home in cash with just a high school diploma, or have what seems to be a well-paying job handed to you simply because of your last name!

(I know it'll be worth it when he graduates, or at least I hope it will... but right now it sucks!!!)

I am envious of their steel house and ceramic tile. Their house appears to be built and furnished with the best furniture and materials money can buy.

But seriously though, on an emotional level, I envy nothing. Their lifestyle is a welcome reminder that my lifestyle makes me happy and that I would be so unhappy if I were as brainwashed as them.

If anything, the emotion I feel is anger. I am angry that they are such wasteful people. "Saying there are too many children is like saying there are too many flowers." No, Michelle. Saying there are too many children is like saying there are too many cars. Flowers are actually good for the ecosystem. People, however, have significant carbon footprints, and forcefully breeding humans is NOT okay. No amount of cloth diapers in the world make up for their SUVs, buses, planes, paper usage, meat consumption, and foul methane farts from tater tot casserole.

I'm jealous of their trust in god to sort everything out for them. I'm an atheist and believe I'm responsible for my actions and their consequences, so I would never have a child with a man I'm not 100% sure would make a good father, or if I didn't believe I could provide adequately for it. They just marry quasi-strangers, have few marketable skills and have loads of kids they could never afford to put through college and never second-guess themselves.

I wouldn't actually want their life of course, just like I wouldn't want to be a toddler who relies on my parents for everything and doesn't have a care in the world again. It's just the idea of taking a few steps back and living my life passively that's attractive.

I'd love to be able to get pregnant at the drop of a hat though.

I'm also envious of how everything in Jill's life seems like a dream come true: starting when she was a toddler and prayed for a pink blanket and then got one, then being the girl who never got in trouble as a child, then having perfect faith that everything will be okay even when she was 23 and had never courted and she had sisters aged 20 -24 who had never courted, and then magically finding a cute guy who effortlessly jumped through her father's hoops, and they courted in the exact way that Gothardites should (minus that one full frontal hug!), had a big wedding, a ton of gifts, People cover, and complete with a honeymoon baby.

I'm also envious of how pretty Jessa is.

This. Derick and Jill appear to be totally in love, and I'm really jealous that she has this fairy tale life. She always did the right thing, has never faced any problems, found someone who really loved her and will likely be able to support her financially, got pregnant right away, and had people fawning over her the whole time.

I'm jealous that she is 23 and married and pregnant and happy and can be completely sure of her beliefs while I (who also tried to do everything "right" according to conservative Christianity) am 26 and divorced and dating an alcoholic who doesn't want kids and have no hope of ever having that "perfect" little family I dreamed of when I was a kid. Fuck that shit.

Can't think of anything I'm jealous of. Definitely not jealous of going on a triple date date with my parents, getting handcuffed, and eating PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICHES! No more picnic dates with the fam unless Derrick is planning the menu.

Their ability to eat crappy, starchy, processed food and still stay thin! I love that stuff, but I avoid it because I will chub-out in no time!

But, I do think it shows in their skin, so I can't be too jealous.

Archived