IGNORED

Bradley Bates, son of Zach and Whitney, is here! (renamed)

Justme

I know everyone wants to believe that Alyssa is wearing pants and using birth control but so far it's only wishful thinking. We haven't seen her wearing pants, or a bathing suit, or drinking wine, or dancing, or saying they're going to wait five years before they have kids, or anything else that her parents would disapprove of, really. She was still wearing t-shirts under her dresses as of a week ago according to her instagram. I'm as hopeful as anyone else, but there's no actual evidence for it yet.

I'm glad Bradley is here safe and healthy. Congrats to Zach and Whitney.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know everyone wants to believe that Alyssa is wearing pants and using birth control but so far it's only wishful thinking. We haven't seen her wearing pants, or a bathing suit, or drinking wine, or dancing, or saying they're going to wait five years before they have kids, or anything else that her parents would disapprove of, really. She was still wearing t-shirts under her dresses as of a week ago according to her instagram. I'm as hopeful as anyone else, but there's no actual evidence for it yet.

I'm glad Bradley is here safe and healthy. Congrats to Zach and Whitney.

I think Alyssa probably loves and respects her parents enough not to post anything on her instagram that they wouldn't really like, or at least not suddenly out of the blue after barely being married. Their new show is probably huge for them because I'd assume they need the money more than the Duggars do. Maybe gradually over time we'll see her doing some more normal things - I think we'll see a lot of the Duggar and Bates kids changing over time, though, not just Alyssa. But moving far away is the best thing that can happen to fundie kids. I'm glad she got far away. Though there's definitely no shortage of religious whackadoos in Florida...

The fact that Whitney had her baby in a hospital gives me hope that she has not jumped too deep into the fundie pool.

If Alyssa's hubby has an real political aspirations- they will have to become fundie-lite to appeal to mainstream Evangelical voters. This will be a great thing for all the Bates siblings to see- that you can loosen up a bit and still be a success.

I had two out of three babies at home with a certified, trained midwife and they were both awesome experiences. And I'm not a fundie at all, neither is my midwife. My midwife isn't even a Christian. :o

Can someone link or explain the whole Michael/Michaela thing I keep seeing mentioned? Dying to know!

I had two out of three babies at home with a certified, trained midwife and they were both awesome experiences. And I'm not a fundie at all, neither is my midwife. My midwife isn't even a Christian. :o

Can someone link or explain the whole Michael/Michaela thing I keep seeing mentioned? Dying to know!

Nothing to see here! Alba did a much better (and more accurate) job of explaining the Michal/Michael/Michaela/Michaella saga! :)

When the Bateses' oldest daughter was born, they chose a Biblical name for her, Michal. IIRC, they were both brought up in Christianity and attended a Christian college together, yet neither new the story of Michal nor thought to research the name before giving it to their child, and were shocked to find out more about the character of Michal in the Bible, who does not embody the stereotypes they instill in their daughters. They sought to change their daughter's name, but could only change one letter without a fee, so they changed it to Michael. Michael, of course, is far, far more common with boys than girls, so her name was unofficially changed to Michaela (pronounced Michael-uh, not Mi-cay-luh). According to Kelly, she's often just called Mikey in the family, bypassing the problem quite neatly. IIRC, Kelly also stated at one point that her daughter preferred Michael over Michaela, but also commented that when she marries she can change her first name along with her surname, suggesting that she would like to change her name if given the opportunity. Kelly seems to use both Michael and Michaela interchangeably on her blog (I think I've seen Michaella, too).

tl;dr: Gil and Kelly Did Not Do The Research when they named their daughter, regretted it, and have spent the past 24 (25?) years trying to work around it.

:cray-cray:

I think Alyssa probably loves and respects her parents enough not to post anything on her instagram that they wouldn't really like, or at least not suddenly out of the blue after barely being married. Their new show is probably huge for them because I'd assume they need the money more than the Duggars do. Maybe gradually over time we'll see her doing some more normal things - I think we'll see a lot of the Duggar and Bates kids changing over time, though, not just Alyssa. But moving far away is the best thing that can happen to fundie kids. I'm glad she got far away. Though there's definitely no shortage of religious whackadoos in Florida...

Which means you've not seen any evidence of change either. John's father is ATI royalty and a super right wing, fundie nutjob. I don't get that people blithely ignore that the Websters are just like the Bates. She didn't get away from anything. She just went to the same thing with more sun and a crazy politician for father in law.

BTW, I did not mean to put the crazy smilie up there. I promise!

Archived