IGNORED

The Duggars, Derick & Halloween

LongDogMom

I totally had to look up Trunk or Treat. I have never heard of that before. I guess it is a decent compromise to still let the kids show some imagination but keep it safe.

I have no trouble believing that Duggar's reject anything to do with or even suggestive of Magic, or witches. I just watched an episode recently where they were taking food do that small house that they are now using for the home church. Jim-Bob actually called it a "Pot-Faith" dinner, rather than a "Pot-Luck" dinner. I couldn't believe it. idiot :cray-cray:

Was it the guy who made the graham Cracker. He was an Evangelic Minister Sylvester Graham who made Graham Crackers to curb sexual urges.

lol! i remember that guy!

What would he think of s'mores??? Gooey, chewy, squishy marshmallow, graham crackers and chocolate made around a fire! oh the indecency. :lol:

I live in a very liberal part of the country and trick-or-treating has changed here, too. The town I used to be in had a city-wide 'safe streets' area.. a neighborhood that was blocked off from traffic for trick-or-treating. The residents there were given (lame) candy to hand out. I never took my kids... we'd just go to the neighbors, and I felt like that was more fun and more in the spirit of traditional Halloween (plus, better candy :-)). We moved a few years ago to the next suburb over. Here there's nothing official, but several neighborhoods put on a really amazing display of Halloween decorations, and everyone heads to one of those. So you have your choice of chaos and crowds... fun but crazy.... or really dead parts of town where only one of every 3 or 4 or 6 homes has their porch light on. We live on a street that's about 4 blocks from one of the really good spots and a lot of people come past our house on the way. We usually get over 100 trick-or-treaters, and I only recognize about 5 of them.

I'm in a very liberal area of the country as well, and the trick or treating tradition hasn't completely gone away even with helicopter parents being afraid of everything. There is a nice street a block from where my future headship lives that quit encouraging trick or treating after some teens from out of the area beat up another kid. That street was known for having elaborate decorations, but since that incident, they've quit decorating and they leave off their porch lights. Other than that, in the neighborhood I'm in, it's still a big deal, so you have to buy candy in bulk. The one thing is that you can't leave jack o lanterns or other stuff out past 9pm, as teenagers still love throwing carved pumpkins in the street. Some churches do a harvest festival, complete with a trunk or treat event, and since there's a large Hispanic community, you also see a lot of events for Day of the Dead following Halloween.

When I was growing up we never dressed up for Halloween or passed out candy. We always had a fall carnival at church the week before Thanksgiving that did include a theme and costumes each year but no trunk or treat. The cake walk though- it was the stuff of dreams. The ladies of the church would all donate all sorts of cakes, plates of cookies and cupcakes. It was always lots of fun and the themes weren't always religious. Different ones I recall were Super Heroes, Great Americans, favorite literary characters, the countries of our ancestors, etc. I think my favorite year was when we all dressed up as characters from children’s books. My aunt had twins who had just turned one and I remember walking down to her house to mind the babies while she made their costumes. They were the absolute cutest Raggedy Anne and Andy!

I totally had to look up Trunk or Treat. I have never heard of that before. I guess it is a decent compromise to still let the kids show some imagination but keep it safe.

I have no trouble believing that Duggar's reject anything to do with or even suggestive of Magic, or witches. I just watched an episode recently where they were taking food do that small house that they are now using for the home church. Jim-Bob actually called it a "Pot-Faith" dinner, rather than a "Pot-Luck" dinner. I couldn't believe it. idiot :cray-cray:

in my family, it was always a "pot-faith" as well. i have no idea why my parents were so against "pot-luck", just that "oh luck is bad, you should have faith! faith is better!"

we also never said "good luck!" about anything, because that somehow implied we believed in luck and not in god to provide or what the fuck ever. i think i already mentioned i wasn't allowed to watch anything with magic or witches or anything. i snuck around and watched "hocus pocus" when i was 11 and loved it, despite the fact that i was always looking around and hyper-aware of noises, in case my parents walked in.

The large rock & roll charismatic Christian church out here sponsors a Trunk or Treat event each year, that has grown larger with each passing year. A lot of families use that as their Trick or Treat experience. My kids want to go, and I've refused each year. Our neighborhood is very popular for Trick or Treating. In past years, I've had 200-300 kids a night come by my house, in under 2 hours. A few years ago, the Dads in the neighborhood started Drink or Treat. There's lots of alcoholic beverages passed out on the trek through the neighborhood. Another guy drives his golf car around with a keg on the back filling up cups. It's a huge, fun party, very informally organized, but it works out each year and hasn't gotten out of hand.

When Josh, Anna and Mackynzie celebrated Christmas with Anna's parents, there was a Christmas tree in the Keller home.

The Kellers are a little less strict I think.

Also I think the more given the opportunity to talk, the more ridiculous the crap that comes out of a Duggar mouth.

They have a daughter who ditched the fundie lifestyle and they still talk to her. :)

The Kellers are a little less strict I think.

Also I think the more given the opportunity to talk, the more ridiculous the crap that comes out of a Duggar mouth.

They have a daughter who ditched the fundie lifestyle and they still talk to her. :)

I think the Kellers really believe "Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it." Meaning even if they have a daughter who ditched fundie doesn't mean she's damned to hell either. Something the Duggars say but don't believe.

What the heck is trunk or treat? There are towns in America where trick or treating is dying?!?!!! Happy to say not around me. I get about 200 trick or treaters a year, and you better have a proper costume or you might find a boiled egg or Brussels sprouts in your bag. I put them up my sleeve and drop them in.

We got a new priest, and he requested that our Halloween party become a harvest party and save the costumes for home. I can't wait to see what a kerfuffle this will cause. Everyone has been so happy we got a new priest. He is very engaging, has a good sense of humor, friendly and very interactive with the kids and leaves a "stump the priest" Box in the classrooms where kids can ask questions. He stands in front of the school and greets the kids. I knew he was conservative before he came as I heard it from people that knew him.it will be interesting to see what happens as he starts getting more and more conservative.Our last one was a real introvert and awkward with the kids. I don't think he was suited for being a parish priest, not a bad guy, just not a good fit. I don't care that he asked for the kids not to wear costumes at school, at least he has opinions and stands for them.

I hope Derick gets a bunch of pumpkins to decorate the outside of their home with ghosts and black cats hanging from the trees and other Halloween Decor. Pumpkins, Ghosts and Black Cats aren't satanic so there shouldn't be a problem.

I hope Derick gets a bunch of pumpkins to decorate the outside of their home with ghosts and black cats hanging from the trees and other Halloween Decor. Pumpkins, Ghosts and Black Cats aren't satanic so there shouldn't be a problem.

If only Jill could read craft blogs or something and learn the beauty of Halloween crafting. It MIGHT give her something to do instead of bothering Derick at work. :dance:

I'm also pretty clueless of this Trunk or Treat thing. What is it? I can't imagine Halloween with hours of treat or treating, and the joy of picking over the haul. I lived in a huge subdivision a few miles from rural homes. Those kids were driven over to our neighborhood so they could have the real experience. One year when Halloween fell on a Sun, some folks were trying to switch Halloween to Saturday! That grand idea received a major backlash. I pity the fool who would come knocking on my door on the 30th.

I think Derek will tow the Duggar party line while he's a guest in JB's domain. Had they moved out of state, I think he would have been able to assert some independence and maybe Jill would follow.

Trunk or Treat is usually through a church or some organization. But a bunch of people gather in a parking lot and have the trunks of their cars open where kids can stop by and get candy. There are a few places that do it in my area, but there is this massive subdivision where most people go to trick or treat instead.

I'm also pretty clueless of this Trunk or Treat thing. What is it? I can't imagine Halloween with hours of treat or treating, and the joy of picking over the haul. I lived in a huge subdivision a few miles from rural homes. Those kids were driven over to our neighborhood so they could have the real experience. One year when Halloween fell on a Sun, some folks were trying to switch Halloween to Saturday! That grand idea received a major backlash. I pity the fool who would come knocking on my door on the 30th.

I think Derek will tow the Duggar party line while he's a guest in JB's domain. Had they moved out of state, I think he would have been able to assert some independence and maybe Jill would follow.

Some people will decorate the trunks and even have games set up for kids to play at each parking spot to earn their candy, like bowling or bean bag toss. One year the trunk or treat church i took the kids to even had pony rides, face painting, a bouncy house, and one of the "trunks" was a boat. The boat guy had his dog with him, all decked out in fishing gear and he was waving around a fake fish on a pole. That year the church projected Monsters, Inc. onto the outside of one wall. :lol: This was in TX. Where we live now, a church does a festival walk-thru with every room a different Bible theme and game. In their gym they have bouncy houses and a climbing wall. Halloween is a big deal around here. :D Indoors works better for colder states, especially since it starts getting dark so early now. i do still walk through neighborhoods here with the kids before dark, their costumes have to have hats that cover their ears though, since it's cold. And we've gone to one office building downtown that does a big haunted house where all the office workers give candy to the kids as they cycle through the hallways. Last year they did ghosts that flew on strings and spooky lighting there. And a HUGE trash bag spider. It was pretty scary, actually.

If only Jill could read craft blogs or something and learn the beauty of Halloween crafting. It MIGHT give her something to do instead of bothering Derick at work. :dance:

Just think of all the burlap opportunities!

Just think of all the burlap opportunities!

Thrifty is good. Jill can actually return to her roots and not be greedy like she was with the wedding and baby Dilly registry...

Trick or Treating is still HUGE!!!! In my neighborhood. We buy at least 50 lbs of candy and run out every year. It's crazy and fun. Some houses hand out "adult treats" like beer and wine. Some have BBQs on their front porch, and invite you to a hotdog or burger. It's amazing fun!

Trick or Treating is still HUGE!!!! In my neighborhood. We buy at least 50 lbs of candy and run out every year. It's crazy and fun. Some houses hand out "adult treats" like beer and wine. Some have BBQs on their front porch, and invite you to a hotdog or burger. It's amazing fun!

My daughter's neighborhood is like that. Everyone it seems gets into the Halloween spirit. Lots of kids tick-or-treating, almost every house decorated for Halloween, parties are the norm. One family was actually showing horror movies on their house -not in their house, on the house. They were using their house as the screen. It was fabulous!

This neighborhood also put on their own Christmas parade and have a Little Free Library.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally saw a "Trunk or Treat' at a Church close to my school!

--

I feel like since the girls are allowed to use Pinterest maybe they'll find some friendly Halloween activities for the kids. Maybe the littles could paint pumpkins or something of that sort

billandboband.jpg

Surely they are creeped out enough by all the Duggar's watching!!

OMG......... :lol: :lol: :pink-shock: :o :shock: :embarrassed:

Indoors works better for colder states, especially since it starts getting dark so early now. i do still walk through neighborhoods here with the kids before dark, their costumes have to have hats that cover their ears though, since it's cold. And we've gone to one office building downtown that does a big haunted house where all the office workers give candy to the kids as they cycle through the hallways. Last year they did ghosts that flew on strings and spooky lighting there. And a HUGE trash bag spider. It was pretty scary, actually.

As someone who lives in northern Alberta, and spend part of my childhood in Yellowknife, I kind of had to laugh at this bit. We've always gone out trick or treating. In Yellowknife, you either found a costume you could somehow get on over a parka, or you wore it underneath and people could only see what was sticking out. There was a lot of asking "And what are you dressed as?" Since I've had kids, it's never been what I'd consider really cold for Halloween. I usually stick them in 2 or 3 layers under their costumes with an open coat over them and we go out for 2-3 hours, or until they start complaining. :lol: I love Halloween so much I volunteered to take kids I babysat out once I got "too old". I may have also taken out my 2 month old first born. :pink-shock:

Our house is in a little fenced off community, and we're buried way in the corner, so we don't get a lot of trick or treaters and we always have to go out to the other streets near us since only a dozen or so houses here bother. Makes me sad. When I was a kid we always lived in areas with lots of trick or treaters and usually got a couple hundred.

I have a kindergartener whose class will be dressing up on Friday. I think they just do their regular stuff with a Halloween theme, no party really,but they do let the kids dress up still.

Well, I'm sure they'll change their tunes now that KIRK CAMERON said it's a Christian holiday... :?

Agree with the above, though - how do they NOT take advantage of giveaways and free stuff?

Archived