IGNORED

Hobby Lobby ruling fallout

DarkAnts

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogspolyg ... s.html.csp

U.S DOL is invistigating the FLDS use of child labor specifically with regards to forcing children to harvest nuts at a local orchard. The judge issued a ruling allowing Mr. steed to not answer a subpoena based on his strongly heald religious beliefs. His justification is the Hobby lobby Supreme Court ruling.

"Petitioner has failed to show that forcing Mr. Steed to answer the questions offensive to his sincerely held religious beliefs is the least restrictive means to advance any compelling interest it may have. For example,as a less restrictive alternative, Petitioner can continue with its efforts to obtain needed information from Paragon Contractors Corporation, Brian Jessop, Dale Barlow and others who contracted to manage the pecan ranch. See Hobby Lobby, 134 S.Ct...."

ie they don't care about helping the kids asap, just want the prosecution to jump through a few more hoops and come back later with proof from a different source that doesn't offend a belief. Well that could back them into a corner. Esp. if the money was on the side of the "beliefs". :angry-banghead:

wonder if the same judge has ever issued a ruling in defense of other people being easily offended, in areas other than religion. For instance, race or orientation. i would guess no. i'd think most people defending the use of the Hobby Lobby ruling in this way would probably limit it to their own ideology.

Such hypocrisy.

The hobby lobby ruling was never meant to help anyone. The Supreme Court (male) justification was that this was a narrow ruling only applying to birth control. Well, they were wrong. I wish this story would get more publicity. Everyone needs to know the fallout of such an ignorant ruling.

In the meantime, children and their families suffer. The families have to force their children to work or face excommunication sand separation from their children.

Thanks for calling our attention to this.

I agree -- the possibility that the Hobby Lobby decision is going to affect other situations stinks.

Would love to see more details (and to be honest, a better-written article -- that one's pretty clunky). I hope other sources pick up on it, and point out the dangers.

Oh, and, as serious as this is, I also have to say -- if they want someone to harvest pecans, they can send all of the kids home and just hire Davey Waller.

X5PDeXql.jpg

fucking christian owners just had to push it for their sooper speshul exemption. i hope they feel like total asses now.

fucking christian owners just had to push it for their sooper speshul exemption. i hope they feel like total asses now.

why when so far they have gotten what they wanted. there is now a push for companies to not to have to provide bc at all and to not have to eave think about what it takes not to provide it. the supreme court really made a shitstorm of christian privilege.

why when so far they have gotten what they wanted. there is now a push for companies to not to have to provide bc at all and to not have to eave think about what it takes not to provide it. the supreme court really made a shitstorm of christian privilege.

the forum ate my previous comment, so when i went to retype it, i forgot to add...

i do hope this doesn't get very far before it gets shut down, but this is only the beginning. it's only a matter of time before teh ebil muslims and witches try to use their case as a base for their own.

also, to add on to my original thought: there have been cases of other, minority-type religions (at least, minority for america) coming through and using the "christian privilege" rulings in a way contrary to what i'm sure the original people wanted in their case. sure, in this case it's flds, which is (from my knowledge) an offshoot of mormonism, which is fairly close to christianity. of course, that doesn't mean what they want is any less horrible, just saying that this is what i'd refer to as a cousin religion, one that is pushing a truly horrible agenda. if they don't feel like asses once shit hits the fan, i hope they do when other groups far more removed from christianity start using their case.

I sent an email to the Supreme Court with a link to the judges ruling and court docket. I don't know if the judges will actually read it but at least I tried to inform them.

Actually, what happened first right after Hobby Lobby (I mean, within 24 hours), some religious employers and orgs that got federal funds asked for an exemption from Obama's executive order requiring employers that get such funds to not discriminate against gay and trans people.

I'm gay & married, and my wife was looking for a new job then, so it really worried us. And we've both gotten most of the way through law school, and predicted anti-LGBT discrimination based on "religious beliefs" would happen as soon as we saw the ruling.

While the FLDS case is horrible, the order exemption has broader ramifications, as it's national and almost any org can claim "religious beliefs". It's essentially a loophole to the hard-fought state nondiscrimination laws, and to possibly ENDA in the future.

Wondering how the ruling would have gone if Mr Steed's sincerely held religious beliefs were Muslim?

He'd be called a terrorist raghead who should go back home, even if he was born here. My grandpa is offended Muslims don't eat bacon.

One day the world will look back in horror at the time when rights jumped backward a century overnight.

My grandpa is offended Muslims don't eat bacon.

i would be offended if another person didn't eat bacon...but then i realize that means more bacon for me...om nom nom.

i think i should go grab some breakfast...

Archived